Pro-2A Resolutions - Game Plan and Resources thread

GarandFan

This thread is being updated regularly - last revision 22 July 2009

The success of the Illinois County Second Amendment Resolution movement is undeniable. People are resolutely stepping forward to move resolutions ahead in the few remaining counties in this state. Toward that goal, we have outlined a general game plan, summarized the efforts, and provided some resources.

The people at the Second Amendment Resolution site have been doing a great job, and the efforts here are meant to compliment theirs. See here for more information: http://www.pro2aresolution.com/index.html

Although well over 4/5 of IL counties have passed some form of the resolution, there remain a few counties that have not placed the resolution on their agendas. That is why we need your help. Remember, these resolutions have passed so many counties because residents of those counties have made it an issue and stepped up. This is a grassroots effort of the people.

The experience has been that the more urban the county, the more resistance to resolution. But this isn't always the case, and there are notable exceptions - counties like Winnebago (Rockford), Peoria (Peoria), McLean (Bloomington/Normal) and McHenry and Will (Cook collar counties) - represent spectacular successes for our movement, though of course EVERY county matters. You can read Winnebago's resolution here: http://www.pro2aresolution.com/sitebuilder...nebago2ares.doc

Below are three lists of the remaining counties (not green and not yellow per this thread http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?s...36&st=1050). The plan is to move on List #1 and List #2. But given the success in McHenry and Will counties, and because there are so few counties left, it is time that people simply work wherever they can to move these resolutions forward.

Note that it is probably in our best interest to exhaust these possibilities in all Illinois counties excepting Cook. We can deal with Cook when we are at full strength.

List #1) Mostly "rural" counties that should be relatively easy to get on-board.

List #2) Counties that contain a medium-sized city, where opposition might be increased.

List #3) Counties that comprise the greater Chicago metro area, where opposition will be the strongest.

List #1 Relatively rural counties.

Stark (the resolution failed to move to full board in this county)

Marshall (Ashdump and GarandFan have written this county)

Whiteside (Buzzard has been working on this county)

Dekalb (Ashdump and GarandFan have written this county)

List #2 Counties containing medium-sized cities.

St. Clair - East St. Louis (interest has been expressed in starting an effort)

Madison - East St. Louis (the resolution failed to move to full board in this county)

Sangamon - Springfield (if interested in helping contact the Sangamon County Rifle Association)

Champaign - Urbana/Champaign (the resolution failed to move to full board in this county)

List #3 Counties containing Chicago or greater Chicago metro area.

Lake (the resolution failed to move to full board in this county)

Dupage (Lou and Ishmo are working on this county)

Cook (the provocation and bane of the pro-2A movement)

RESOURCES

SAMPLE RESOLUTION

WHEREAS, the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms is guaranteed as an Individual Right under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and under the Constitution of the State of Illinois, and;

WHEREAS, the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms for defense of Life, Liberty, and Property is regarded as an Inalienable Right by the People of _______________ County, Illinois, and:

WHEREAS, the People of _________________ County, Illinois, derive economic benefit from all safe forms of firearms recreation, hunting, and shooting conducted within __________ County using all types of firearms allowable under the United States Constitution and the Constitution of the State of Illinois, and;

WHEREAS, ____________ County Board, being elected to represent the People of _____________County and being duly sworn by their Oath of Office to uphold the United States Constitution and the Constitution of the State of Illinois, and;

WHEREAS, the Illinois House of Representatives and the Illinois Senate, being elected by the People of the State of Illinois and being duly sworn by their Oath of Office to uphold the United States Constitution and the Constitution of the State of Illinois, and;

WHEREAS, proposed legislation under consideration by the Illinois State Legislature would infringe the Right to Keep and Bear Arms and would ban the possession and use of firearms now employed by individual citizens of _______________ County, Illinois, for defense of Life, Liberty and Property and would ban the possession and use of firearms now employed for safe forms of firearms recreation, hunting and shooting conducted within ____________ County, Illinois;

NOW, THEREFORE, IT BE AND IS HEREBY RESOLVED that the People of _____________ County, Illinois, do hereby oppose the enactment of any legislation that would infringe upon the Right of the People to keep and bear arms and consider such laws to be unconstitutional and beyond lawful Legislative Authority.

Chairman

Attest:

County Clerk

LETTER EXPLAINING THAT PRO-2A RES IS COUNTY BUSINESS - updated 15 April 2009

During county board discussions across Illinois, and in regard to the Pro-Second Amendment Resolution, some board members have expressed concern that this issue is (1) redundant, because the right to keep and bear arms is already constitutionally protected, and (2) beyond the scope of county governments, because issues regarding constitutional rights ultimately fall on the state and federal governments. However, the fact that this resolution has been discussed in well over 4/5 of IL counties demonstrates that it is deemed to be county business.

The conclusion of more than 4/5 of IL county boards notwithstanding, this letter describes why a county resolution that affirms the right of individual citizens to keep and bear arms is anything but redundant, and why it is within the scope of Illinois county governments.

The Second Amendment to the US Constitution does two things - it informs that militias are necessary for the security of a free state, and guarantees that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. However, the Second Amendment is one of the few Bill of Rights provisions that has not yet been incorporated via the 14th Amendment against state and local infringment. The Supreme Court decision in DC v. Heller did nothing to change that fact. The Illinois constitution (Section 22) likewise guarantees the right to keep and bear arms: "...the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." However, as passed at the 1970 IL Constitutional Convention, the guarantee reads in full: "Subject only to the police power, the right of the individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." The prefatory statement "subject to police power" clause was mandated by a strong Chicago contingent, generally favorable to gun control measures then, as they are now. This is precisely why Chicago can still prohibit the right of the people to have a handgun for defense. What the preface really means for Illinois citizens - in a legal sense - is that they have absolutely no constitutional protection from state or municipal infringement on their right to keep and bear arms. This means that Illinois citizen's "right" to own firearms (guaranteed in the US and IL constitution) is empty and indefensible in an Illinois court of law. Because municipal governments are still open to prohibit the right to keep arms, it is wholly appropriate for municipal governments be resolute to oppose such laws if that is the will of their people.

Precisely due to the facts above, it is anything but redundant that Illinois counties discuss and pass Pro-Second Amendment resolutions if that is the will of their residents. Moreover, counties are among the most local governmental units and as such, they best understand and represent the wishes of their citizens. If government is "by the people and for the people", the political wishes of the people are passed upward to ever-larger units of government. Counties inform state senators and representatives, who in turn, inform the state legislature as a whole. That Illinois counties pass resolutions as pertinent to constitutional issues is indeed their business, because with such resolutions, they inform the state legislature on crucial matters concerning the rights and privileges of their citizens.

INTRODUCTORY LETTER TO COUNTY BOARD MEMBERS

[Month Date, Year]

Dear Commissioner [Last Name]:

I am writing to inform you of a significant movement that is sweeping Illinois. To date, [90] of the 102 Illinois counties [88%] have passed Resolutions in support of Second Amendment rights. In general, the Resolutions present the "right to keep and bear arms" guarantees found in the Second Amendment (US Constitution) and Article 1, Section 22 (Illinois Constitution). They acknowledge that Illinois General Assembly members and other elected officials have sworn oaths to uphold those constitutions. The resolutions conclude by stating that the respective county opposes further gun control measures that infringe on the rights guaranteed to its citizens. To boil it down, the resolution is symbolic of the counties' support for Second Amendment rights, also recently supported by the US Supreme Court.

The resolutions are non-binding legally, but make a strong statement to the Illinois General Assembly. Their purpose is to inform state legislators, so they may better represent the will of their constituents in the general assembly. Each and every year, a contingent of state legislators (largely from Chicago and Cook county) introduce myriad gun control bills affecting law-abiding citizens in their districts, and more seriously, law-abiding citizens state-wide. Invariably, such bills are accompanied with empty promises of decreased violent crime (a problem largely confined to Chicago). On it's face, such legislation can be appealing because the arguments are intuitive - banning people from possessing firearms will reduce crime. But consider just who in society follows the law, and who does not. There is a great deal of scholarly literature, by government and academia, that simply doesn't find that claim (gun control reduces crime) to be true. Worse, the proposed bills are subject to little scrutiny, and bill sponsors cannot provide sound evidence that their bill will accomplish what they claim. Scrutiny is crucially important, but particularly when discussing legislation that infringes constitutional rights of the people. I believe most people in your county would oppose legislation that would infringe on their rights, and particularly when such legislation is justified only because criminals and gang-members run wild and unopposed in a few Chicago neighborhoods.

Recent events underscore the urgency of this matter. The Illinois State Attorney General and the City of Chicago filed a "friend of the court" brief with the Supreme Court, asking them to uphold the strictest gun ban in the nation - Washington DC's total ban on handguns and all functional rifles and shotguns. From reading these documents (available upon request), it is perfectly clear that influential leaders in Illinois and Chicago are willing to flatly deny the people their right to keep guns for lawful purposes including defense of self, family, and home. The recent Supreme Court ruling stated that gun ownership is a fundamental individual right, and that one of it's most important purposes was to defend one's self, home, and loved ones. However, the ruling in no way restricts the state of Illinois from taking away this right. It is time to tell the state that our fundamental rights are not open to prohibition.

I am taking this opportunity to tell you about this Second Amendment movement, and that these issues are very important to your constituents. I would kindly ask you to consider bringing this resolution to the attention of your county board.

Please feel free to contact me for more information, or should you have any questions.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

[Your City], IL

Enclosures:

- Sample county resolution

- Pro-Second Amendment Resolutions county map

LINK TO CURRENT PRO-2A MAP, TO INCLUDE WITH LETTER

http://www.pro2aresolution.com/id12.html

This map is updated frequently, and can be saved in either .bmp or .gif formats. It can then be printed or emailed, as an enclosure to any letters written to county board members. HOWEVER, please note that the red counties shown here have NOT failed a full county board vote. The red on that map indicates only that the resolution failed to move on to the full board - and the measure should be considered as pending in those counties. This is a conservative decision by the people at the Illinois Second Amendment Resolution site. Just be aware of that, and communicate that aspect to any interested board members.

Yes, we are aware of that, and it's better than ours, except...

Most here disagree with the red counties. Those counties have not voted against the 2A Res. It was on the agendas of those counties, removed for one reason or another, but never voted on.

My feeling is, since no vote was taken by the full board, and they are buried in committee somewhere, they should remain white.

GF,

According to a post by Ashdump on the main 2A res thread on 15-Nov, he's quoting the Pro 2A Res site and says that the res is on the agenda for Bond county and it is listed as yellow on their site.

May want to edit the list above.

AB

Thanks Sir. For the purposes of this organizational thread, at any time a county moves from white to yellow (on board agenda) or to green, I will remove it from the list.

On that notion, the counties shown red on the pro 2A website are going back on the list....since those counties did not vote down the resolution by the full board. Thus, I consider them to remain counties in which we should try to encourage passage by full board vote. This happened already in Marion county, I believe.

Here are some sample documents that I used as a basis for McLean.

1. Sample Petition

Sample_Petition.xls

2. Sample Resolution

Sample_Co_Resolution.doc

3. Sample Support letter (2 signature lines)

Sample_Support_Letter.doc

Here are some sample documents that I used as a basis for McLean.

1. Sample Petition

Sample_Petition.xls

2. Sample Resolution

Sample_Co_Resolution.doc

3. Sample Support letter (2 signature lines)

Sample_Support_Letter.doc

DW,

Do you feel (or know) that a petition will be necessary in McLean county?? I realize that ISU is there, but the balance of the county besides B-N is rural. Maybe the political climate has changed since I was there 30 odd years ago but I wouldn't think it would be a real hard sell there. You're the man on the ground there, I was just wondering about it.

AB

I am awaiting a call back from the Board chair. I spoke to her assistant and was pleasantly surprised to hear "several" others had also submitted the resolution and were seeking the proper channels to move it forward. The assistant said they were unsure what was the proper channel or committee to start with. I suggested the civil rights committee.

What I would like to know is if anyone reading this post is one of the "several"? I would like to coordinate a presentation to the committee/board ASAP after getting a reply from the chairs' office. :thumbsup:

Hey, I uhhhh, emailed CNN. I wonder if the news will be on our side for once. Maybe add a little pressure to the state when the time comes. Plus, if we keep them updated, they may decide to show up for IGOLD next year (by the way, what is the date for next year? How do we sign in?). Even if they don't decide to back us, they can at least make mention that the American people will not be denied their rights any more. So even if they talk down about us in the news...people are used to having to read between the lines when is comes to reporters. I don't know, my head hurts now. Y'all enjoy your weekend.

Hey, I uhhhh, emailed CNN. I wonder if the news will be on our side for once. Maybe add a little pressure to the state when the time comes. Plus, if we keep them updated, they may decide to show up for IGOLD next year (by the way, what is the date for next year? How do we sign in?). Even if they don't decide to back us, they can at least make mention that the American people will not be denied their rights any more. So even if they talk down about us in the news...people are used to having to read between the lines when is comes to reporters. I don't know, my head hurts now. Y'all enjoy your weekend.

...CNN! :thumbsup:

tplane, we really enjoy and need your enthusiasm....but please hold off on trying to publicize the county resolution movement at this point. Moving them on IGOLD, however, would be fine.

I tried to explain that in post 1077 in this thread (in direct reply to your questions):

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?s...136&st=1050

...but I wasn't clear enough. The plan is to make the push on legislators and media both once we've secured an undeniable majority of counties...we are getting there but aren't there yet. So let's just keep working behind the scenes if you will, and then later will release a publicity and political campaign with the backing of the movement and resolutions.

I understand your point, I missed the "behind the scenes" portion in that post, and appoligize. I do have a habit of going all out when I go after something...thus another reason I asked for coaching! :-). I have no problems holding back. And in the future, since you guys are more informed on how all this BS works, I'll run my ideas past this board prior tomoving forward. I don't want to do anything to further hinder our goals.

I understand your point, I missed the "behind the scenes" portion in that post, and appoligize. I do have a habit of going all out when I go after something...thus another reason I asked for coaching! :-). I have no problems holding back. And in the future, since you guys are more informed on how all this BS works, I'll run my ideas past this board prior tomoving forward. I don't want to do anything to further hinder our goals.

Don't be apologetic, friend. You are a go-getter and we really appreciate it :thumbsup: The great thing about this site is, working together and sharing info with each other is how we have made the great progress we have in a relatively short time. We are glad you are here. I wish we had more like you! Thanks for joining us!

Hey no big deal! We really appreciate you being here...your intensity is invigorating and challenges the rest of us to work harder! So that is great. Plus....Macon county would be a HUGE victory for this movement!

And by all means if you have a good idea post it and share and get input from the rest of us. We've been doing that kind of thing for a long time now, and with a lot of success. There are some pretty talented, smart, and savvy folks here who are always willing to give good advice! Much of our strengths lie in the facts that we each have something important to offer, and are willing to offer it, and that we are really committed to the effort and are willing to get our elbows dirty. You may have noticed that some posters on other sites mostly do a lot of complaining....well, we can complain sometimes too, but the difference is we get off our butts and DO things....we are a group that knows ACTIONS speak louder than words. That reminds me...I am getting a bit long-winded here...

Anyway, one last point....as I mentioned above we have many strengths as a group, but perhaps the most important is that we are on the correct side, the lawful side, the constitutional side, of this whole gun control and freedom issue.

Take care and keep up the great work!

Media is a tricky thing and so fickle you never know on which side of the story they will land. The on-scene reporter may be very sympathic but when the story gets back to production, producers, and station owners it can take on a very different slant. Those that would like media coverage at the county board meeting might consider checking out the Second Amendment stance of their local station beforehand.

It is also an excellent idea to take a "media packet" for each newspaper/tv/radio reporter that might be present at the county board meeting. The packet should have a copy of the resolution, a current map, and a written statement explaining the resolution and its purpose. This is a great help to the media folks and will help prevent being misquoted.

I think we had pretty fair coverage when the media covered Champaign County. There are links to the newscasts around here somewhere. Mark Mountain at Pro-2A Resolution site has had some excellent radio coverage and has been on lots of radio talk shows.

Once again, no worries, this is a prime example of why I requested coaching...I know I get ahead of myself at times.

Here is the letter I put together to send off to the Macon County Board. I did add a couple things to try and help get their attention. I ask for any and all input, heck, if somebody wants to edit it for me, go ahead, I'll send it once everyone agrees on it. I chose to put it as one document to give them the point in one sitting. Let me know what you think.

Macon_County_Presentation.doc

Personnally, if it were me. It would not be the Clinton News Network that I would be approaching with a potential news story....it would be FOX with either John Gibson, Sheppard Smith or Hannity as the reporter.

CNN is not gun friendly.

I've read your letter and I like it. I have attached a modified version below, that I've corrected mostly for a few typographical errors.

Overall, it's a good letter. If anything, it could be shorter and get to the point more quickly. But good job. The most important thing is that this gets in front of Macon county board members. Do you know any? Any that are shooters, gun owners, or relatively friendly to the 2A issue? If so, you might send to them first and ask for their help in moving it forward in your county.

Again, nice job!

Macon.doc

Personnally, if it were me. It would not be the Clinton News Network that I would be approaching with a potential news story....it would be FOX with either John Gibson, Sheppard Smith or Hannity as the reporter.

CNN is not gun friendly.

CNN is about as liberal, anti-gun, anti-2A as you can get!! They will take a story and spin it 180 degrees to suit their agenda. IMHO, CNN should hear about the 2A resolution when Fox covers it!!!!

AB

CNN is not gun friendly.

CNN is about as liberal, anti-gun, anti-2A as you can get!! They will take a story and spin it 180 degrees to suit their agenda. IMHO, CNN should hear about the 2A resolution when Fox covers it!!!!

AB

I don't think it will even be an issue. Remember, 1,500 gun owners in yellow shirts in Springfield was not a newsworthy event.

DW,

Do you feel (or know) that a petition will be necessary in McLean county?? I realize that ISU is there, but the balance of the county besides B-N is rural. Maybe the political climate has changed since I was there 30 odd years ago but I wouldn't think it would be a real hard sell there. You're the man on the ground there, I was just wondering about it.

AB

Frankly, yes. If you look at a district map of McLean Co. you will understand. There are 10 districts and only 3 are rural. That means 6 rural reps and 14 from Bloomington/Normal.

http://www.mcleancountyil.gov/countyboard/...ardOverview.pdf

Matt Sorensen is the chairman and he has been approached by Francis Smith of the LeRoy Rifle and Pistol Club and according to Francis is a good guy and on our side.

However, many of these folks have that 'academic' look to them.

http://www.mcleancountyil.gov/countyboard/

Our approach to date has been to lay a groundwork of constiuent support via petitions, letters, and phone calls.

Apparently I misspelled a number of things in there! Good thing I asked to have it read over.

I was thinking about that fact that it is four pages long, and considered that the third page was basically an attachment for quick reference, and that the forth page was the actual resolution itself....I didn't want to add to much for an introduction, but felt that the letter be "personalized" for Macon County to try to make it hit home a little more. And after talking with some of the truckers at the new truck stop I mentioned in the letter, many of them were quite.....um, vocal....about not being able to Conceal Carry here in Illinois. Many of them said they try to avoid coming to Illinois whenever possible, but usually have to because of ADM, Staley's, and Caterpillar along with all of the supporting companies involved with there work. Decatur is an extremely industrial town, and therefore I wanted to ensure there was a point made about the drastic economic impact something as simple as "gun control" can have on our county (along with the rest of the state).

Any idea on how to shorten it up without removing the information that has typically been provided to other counties? I could remove the "Second Amendment Resolution is County Business" part until something is brought up about it. And then send it separately if it is needed. Either way, I am going to try and make some headway today.

Apparently I misspelled a number of things in there! Good thing I asked to have it read over.

I was thinking about that fact that it is four pages long, and considered that the third page was basically an attachment for quick reference, and that the forth page was the actual resolution itself....I didn't want to add to much for an introduction, but felt that the letter be "personalized" for Macon County to try to make it hit home a little more. And after talking with some of the truckers at the new truck stop I mentioned in the letter, many of them were quite.....um, vocal....about not being able to Conceal Carry here in Illinois. Many of them said they try to avoid coming to Illinois whenever possible, but usually have to because of ADM, Staley's, and Caterpillar along with all of the supporting companies involved with there work. Decatur is an extremely industrial town, and therefore I wanted to ensure there was a point made about the drastic economic impact something as simple as "gun control" can have on our county (along with the rest of the state).

Any idea on how to shorten it up without removing the information that has typically been provided to other counties? I could remove the "Second Amendment Resolution is County Business" part until something is brought up about it. And then send it separately if it is needed. Either way, I am going to try and make some headway today.

I understand the need and benefit of personalizing the message. And all of the things you mentioned are reasonable, and should be on the county board's "radar."

Actually, your idea to omit the "county business" portion of the letter is a good one. You can always address that later. The most important thing right now is to quickly get it in front of some board members who are likely to support it...get them fired up about this. Many people just don't think much about this stuff...and once they find out what the Chicago folks are trying to do, they are surprised, get angry, and are willing to support these resolutions.

Send it off!!! Best of luck Sir.

RE, the Pro2A Res website map:

I've come to agree with their "red" counties. If a county board or committee refuses to place the 2A Res on the Board Agenda, or it has been on the agenda and removed, I believe that's the same thing as having defeated it.

I speak from experience, working with (????) the Champaign County Board/PolicyCommittee.

• 2 weeks later...
What is the status on DuPage?

Other than my "blow-off" letter from the chairman of the county board back on 4 May 2007, I cannot even get the DuPage County board meebers to answer my letters. :sorcerer:

May need to wait a bit on this one then, let some more counties sign on, then start recruiting support in DuPage?

A DNR guy down here thought DuPage would be an easy one to get but I guess not . . .

Molly B.

Archived