• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 6,598 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:38 PM

full story at link

https://www.ilnews.o...1804ce74de.html

...Several gun dealers in Central and Southern Illinois are closing their businesses rather than pay what theyre saying is thousands of dollars in costs to comply with a law enacted last month.

When he signed the bill into law last month, Gov. J.B. Pritzker said the Gun Dealer Licensing Act was about stopping straw buyers.

The reason for it is to deter straw purchases so that we can prevent someone from buying a gun for someone else who is not legally allowed to own a gun, he said at the signing ceremony in Chicago.

For Jim Barnard, 69, couldnt see a way to afford the cost of compliance with the new law. After more than 4 decades of operation, the owner of Fishmans Sporting Goods in Girard had to make a tough decision.

Im just going to retire, I guess, he said. I hope that I can live off of what Ive saved over the years.

He made the decision to close his business in late January.

Mick Moore made the same decision for Walnut Creek Shooters Supply in Brownstown after seeing not only the cost of the license and the camera system. but also the uncertainty additional regulations and more fees.

Its just not worth it, he said. Ive fought it and fought it but Im just not up to the fight much longer...
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#2 Flynn

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:45 PM

Time for them to become plaintiffs in second amendment civil rights violations.

Anonymous leakers, leak anonymously about the anonymous leak.

—Anonymous

#3 ragsbo

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:49 PM

This is exactly what the intent of the law was, to drive dealers out of business so folks have no were to buy them

#4 MagSlap

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:54 PM

American Businessmen :

"For Jim Barnard, 69, couldnt see a way to afford the cost of compliance with the new law. After more than 4 decades of operation, the owner of Fishmans Sporting Goods in Girard had to make a tough decision."

"Mick Moore made the same decision for Walnut Creek Shooters Supply in Brownstown after seeing not only the cost of the license and the camera system. but also the uncertainty additional regulations and more fees."

Democrats:

"Mission Accomplished"

#5 transplant

• 2,621 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:49 PM

It's inevitable.

#6 transplant

• 2,621 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:51 PM

Large companies that have multiple stores across the state are only required to pay the new annual fee for 27 locations, which would put the corporations at the $40,000 cap, the rest essentially amounting to what Vandermyde called a tax break.

So the big box stores - whose management teams are squishier and easier to manipulate - are kept around, and the small stores, whose owners tend to take a firmer stand, are pushed out of business.

#7 Weed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:18 PM

There are two in my area that I know of that are closing.

#8 BobPistol

• Members
  • 9,100 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:24 AM

When he signed the bill into law last month, Gov. J.B. Pritzker said the Gun Dealer Licensing Act was about stopping straw buyers.

That's BS.  If he wanted to stop straw buyers, he would have signed a bill that dealt with straw buyers, such as a minimum 20 year sentence for straw sellers/buyers.  That didn't happen.

His intention was to put gun shops out of business plain and simple. 

The Second Amendment of the Constitution protects the rest.

#9 G214me

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:55 AM

That's BS.  If he wanted to stop straw buyers, he would have signed a bill that dealt with straw buyers, such as a minimum 20 year sentence for straw sellers/buyers.  That didn't happen.

+1

#10 G214me

• Members
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:57 AM

My local small shop isn't sure what he's going to do yet, he still trying to figure this mess out as far as alarms and cameras and such.

#11 jkdkaliman101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:18 AM

Local store in my neck of the woods has been there for 56 years. Said last week they most likely are closing shop.
‘’in a crisis we will not rise to our expectations, but fall to our level of training’’ -Paul Vunak

"Make the best of every moment for today's moments are tomorrows memories."

"Love me or hate me, both are in my favor. If you love me I'll always be in your heart. If you hate me I'll always be in your mind." William Shakespeare

Obey Acts 2:38!

#12 357

• 1,645 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:30 AM

Dealers follow the law and they can't show one dealer who hasn't followed the law. They give straw purchasers probation.

https://www.google.c...news/170419171/
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
James Madison

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
Edmund Burke

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"
George Orwell

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will loose both"
Benjamin Franklin

#13 evilbrownrifle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:07 AM

Lost my local transfer dealer. Found another one though.

#14 IH8IL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:43 AM

Large companies that have multiple stores across the state are only required to pay the new annual fee for 27 locations, which would put the corporations at the $40,000 cap, the rest essentially amounting to what Vandermyde called a tax break.

So the big box stores - whose management teams are squishier and easier to manipulate - are kept around, and the small stores, whose owners tend to take a firmer stand, are pushed out of business.

Pretty much. Big stores, I’m pretty sure will send a copy of the 4473 straight to the state. They are already automated with computers and do the background online.

#15 thedrickster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:56 PM

Local store in my neck of the woods has been there for 56 years. Said last week they most likely are closing shop.

That's a feature not a bug.

#16 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:00 PM

if you know of stores or shops closing please forward their info to me
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

my posts are moderated due to some butthurt on the part of IC people not liking my comments at times

#17 Xwing

• Members
  • 9,103 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:26 PM

This is Pritzker and the other gun-grabbers goals.  Their only purpose is to make it more expensive and more difficult to legally buy a firearm.  

NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
CCW - 50 State Firearm Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Gun Range Tools & Logs: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#18 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 13,606 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:50 PM

This is Pritzker and the other gun-grabbers goals.  Their only purpose is to make it more expensive and more difficult to legally buy a firearm.

Incremental banning. AKA death by 1000 cuts.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#19 JTHunter

• Members
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:49 PM

Does anybody know about two stores in Pinkneyville, Mann's and Hick's?

“We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” - - Abraham Lincoln

“Small minds adhere to the letter of the law; great minds dispense Justice.” - - S. C. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes

Life member NAHC, Endowment member NRA

#20 Raw Power

• 1,372 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:02 AM

It's inevitable.

And I hope that we will step up and help donate to their legal funds when the time comes.

#21 GWBH

Ripcord... This is Alabama - Fire For Effect, Over...

• Members
  • 6,462 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:24 PM

Todd,
The Ridge Gun Shop - Herod Il will be closing his doors because of the gun dealer licensing act.
If you need the owner's name and contact info let me know... Tried to send to you in a PM but I guess your box is full.

Fire Support Base Ripcord Association - the heroes of the Vietnam War have their names on a wall in Washington, DC
http://www.ripcordassociation.com/

Sgt. Phil Compton (ishmo), "L" Company (RANGER) 75th Infantry - 101st Airborne Division (Vietnam 1968 - 1969 / 1970 - 1971 )
A good man, a brave soldier, a patriot and a true friend.

PFC Patrick J. Bohan, 101 Pathfinder Detachment, 3rd Brigade - 101st Airborne Division, KIA, July 10, 1970, on FSB Ripcord

#22 lee n. field

• 1,992 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:24 PM

The guy I've deal with mostly, for the last 25 years (him and his Dad), I suspect will bail.  Not happy about it.

"Woe to you who desire the day of the LORD!
Why would you have the day of the LORD?
It is darkness, and not light,"

#23 Flynn

• Members
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 04:49 PM

Todd,
The Ridge Gun Shop - Herod Il will be closing his doors because of the gun dealer licensing act.
If you need the owner's name and contact info let me know... Tried to send to you in a PM but I guess your box is full.

Click on Todd's profile his email is there and then email him, from what I have read he doesn't do private messaging on here...

Anonymous leakers, leak anonymously about the anonymous leak.

—Anonymous

#24 GWBH

Ripcord... This is Alabama - Fire For Effect, Over...

• Members
  • 6,462 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:16 PM

Todd,

Click on Todd's profile his email is there and then email him, from what I have read he doesn't do private messaging on here...

Ok - thanks my man!!

Fire Support Base Ripcord Association - the heroes of the Vietnam War have their names on a wall in Washington, DC
http://www.ripcordassociation.com/

Sgt. Phil Compton (ishmo), "L" Company (RANGER) 75th Infantry - 101st Airborne Division (Vietnam 1968 - 1969 / 1970 - 1971 )
A good man, a brave soldier, a patriot and a true friend.

PFC Patrick J. Bohan, 101 Pathfinder Detachment, 3rd Brigade - 101st Airborne Division, KIA, July 10, 1970, on FSB Ripcord

#25 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Members
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:14 PM

if you know of stores or shops closing please forward their info to me

Sent to your email @aol address.

#26 Bird76Mojo

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:15 AM

I relayed this info about Todd wanting names of FFL's closing to a buddy of mine that is thinking of closing. He said he'd be contacting FFL-IL and asking for Todd.

Constitutional Carry - Proponent
Open Carry - Proponent
Exercise your rights - Engage in civil disobedience against unconstitutional laws - IGNORE THE F.O.I.D.

#27 ScottFM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:21 PM

Well there is always the big box stores like Dick's!  :flowers:  :drool:  :devil:

--

Beer, it's the reason I get out of bed every afternoon!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

#28 steveTA84

• 4,745 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:40 PM

Well there is always the big box stores like Dick's!  :flowers:  :drool:  :devil:

Dick’s can go and........oh nevermind

#29 ScottFM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:00 PM

Dick’s can go and........oh nevermind

I hear ya. Don't ever forget that the carve outs in this bill for big box stores like Dick's was what Springfield Armory and Rock River Arms wanted because with a smaller market they could keep their prices right where they could maximize revenue margins. If they had to sell to lots of little guys it would be a PITA for them and they would have to worry about all the different market channels under selling each other. 

Like TYM said they are either traitors or morons. Either way, they certainly do not deserve our business 

--

Beer, it's the reason I get out of bed every afternoon!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

#30 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• Admin
  • 20,733 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:12 PM

I hear ya. Don't ever forget that the carve outs in this bill for big box stores like Dick's was what Springfield Armory and Rock River Arms wanted because with a smaller market they could keep their prices right where they could maximize revenue margins. If they had to sell to lots of little guys it would be a PITA for them and they would have to worry about all the different market channels under selling each other.

I'm still not buying that argument.

SA and RRA sell to lots of little guys in lots of states that will not be affected by Illinois law. None of that will change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users