Photo

360 background checks a year are not enough

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 6,765 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

Senator Harmon seemed to get his panties in a knot over the notion that FOID card holders undergo 360 background checks a year. So let us explain the concept. . .

Almost every night, the FOID list is bounced off of the criminal record index for new arrests and convictions. It is also bounced off of the mental health admissions at Human Services. So your "background" as a FOID card holder is checked by the State Police 360 times a year against state databases.

The difference between that and an FTIP check, is that the FTIP also bounces against the NICS system for the feds.

Now, if running your name through a series of state databases to ensure you are not a prohibited person, is NOT a background check, then what is?

This "statistic" our side is using is really getting under the skin of the anti-gun people and Senator Harmon in particular because it undercuts their argument for adding more restrictions to what we can own. Because the narrative goes like this;

We have to wait 30 days to get a FOID card. We are then checked against the criminal record index and mental health admissions 360 times a year, essentially 360 background checks before we even buy a gun. We then have to wait 24 to 72 hours to pick up our firearms.

If having that FOID, and 360 background checks and waiting periods are not enough, then what is?

We keep hearing that you don't want to take our guns away, but after 360 background checks a year, you still want to have 18, 19 & 20 year olds forfeit their rifles and shotguns. You want to confiscate magazines over 10 rounds from the rest of us, that's right not just guns, but pieces of plastic and sheet metal with springs that you feel we are not fit to own even after 360 background checks a year.

So again, we ask, when is enough enough? When are we good enough, have proved ourselves worthy enough to exercise & enjoy our rights?

We use the number of 360, making the assumption that on News Years, Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July and Christmas they don't do it. 

While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

#2 GeekDad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:09 AM

Great point Todd.

I use this argument quite often. Virtually everyone I talk about background checks is surprised that we as FOID holders are background checked virtually EVERY*SINGLE*DAY.

This should make us one of the safest states already!

NRA, ISRA, SAF, GOA, GSL

#3 sirflyguy

• Members
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

If we had all the criminals get FOID cards, that will take care of it. Problem solved.

United States Concealed Carry Association Certified Firearms Instructor

Defensive Firearms Coach (DFC) 

Fundamentals of Home Defense Handgun

Fundamentals of Concealed Carry
NRA-Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection In the Home Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor 
NRA-Certified Chief Range Safety Officer

IL FCCA Approved Instructor
http://www.mlftraining.com
https://www.facebook...ps/mlftraining/

#4 fyrman1

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

Great read thanks Todd

#5 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 5,140 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

Did that get posted to Harmons FB?

...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#6 1700715

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:04 AM

Great job standing up to Harmon! Thank You Todd!! Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A government big enough to give you everything you want,

Is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Thomas Jefferson-

#7 tracker366

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:06 AM

Thanks Todd..I watched you guys the other day you guys did a great job!! thanks again

Edited by tracker366, 09 March 2018 - 11:07 AM.

#8 InterestedBystander

• 5,467 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

Enjoyed the Harmon exchange that it was not a BG check since data was not reported or inaccurate and then he was asked why we kept the FOID card and relied on it if it was so flawed!
NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
🇺🇸

#9 lockman

• Members
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:18 PM

Harmon is justified because on News Years, Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July and Christmas someone might become prohibited and commit a crime before the check on the next day.

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1776

Life Member NRA, ISRA,  CCRKBA, GOA, & SAF

#10 357

• 1,209 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:27 PM

What about making the case that with the 10 round magazine cap they are making illegal most pistols and that aftermarket 10 round magazines are unreliable but that's their intention to outlaw pistols too.
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
James Madison

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
Edmund Burke

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"
George Orwell

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will loose both"
Benjamin Franklin

#11 yurimodin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:40 PM

361 on leap year just in case :frantics:

#12 Twostarrz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:58 PM

Thanks Todd for all you do. My children’s future as free citizens depends on people like you and groups such as this. They are truly worried that we might have to get rid of the firearms they enjoy shooting.

#13 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

Don't forget that 18-20 year olds have to have parental permission to get a FOID card before they can buy or even possess any firearm or ammunition.
Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#14 chicagoresident

• 1,761 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:55 PM

That was awesome watching you tear into them.

It was so frusteritng hearing all the arguments where our own politicians at that meeting admit that all the systems they put in place like FOID, all the lawyers, judges and law enforcement, all the local, state and federal agencies not working etc, and their only solution is to pass more laws adding more complexity.

Why don't they pass some laws requiring the government and their agencies to do their damn job...

And if they can't maybe we should be talking term limits as a way to save lives, not magazine limits.

Edited by chicagoresident, 09 March 2018 - 04:02 PM.

#15 AKS-74U

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:00 PM

Not to mention the additional background checks many of us have gone through for our concealed carry licenses, our 03FFLs, our form 1s and form 4s, etc...

I've had my background checked countless times, at every level. they know exactly who I am, and yet I still get delayed every time I purchase a firearm.

when is enough enough?

#16 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:02 PM

Its really frustrating hearing Illinois politicians talk about the need for Law (X,Y,Z) when most or all of what they are calling for is already covered by existing Illinois and/or Federal laws. If they are that ignorant of existing law, why should anyone listen to what they think should be done in the future?
Illinois' FCCA is a prime example of the maxim that sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

#17 r4ndy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:15 PM

Heard Todd and Harmon on WLS this AM - made me smile!

#18 capotwosix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:28 PM

If we had all the criminals get FOID cards, that will take care of it. Problem solved.

Even better if they were kept in prison where they belong.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson

#19 snooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

They do not prosecute gun cases..fast as we put them in they are released..DA's need to do there dam job..if you are involved in a domestic you can bet isp will be notified within 24hrs...the snitch hotline ought to be interesting about 0300 hours on a sat night..i can only imagine what is to come....on a pro tip the book of many faces is not to be trusted, quit posting your bs gun **** on a public forum...thats is all..carry on

#20 MSD

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:22 PM

Todd - thank you for all you do.  I know how hard it is to remain a calm voice of reason when faced with unreasonable positions that don't even desire to understand the facts.

#21 Gamma

• Members
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:32 PM

They do not prosecute gun cases..fast as we put them in they are released..DA's need to do there dam job..if you are involved in a domestic you can bet isp will be notified within 24hrs...the snitch hotline ought to be interesting about 0300 hours on a sat night..i can only imagine what is to come....on a pro tip the book of many faces is not to be trusted, quit posting your bs gun **** on a public forum...thats is all..carry on

They don't seem to be interested in prosecuting any crimes really. Auto theft, carjacking, felon in possession of firearm, robbery, etc are often released right back onto the street.

https://chicago.sunt...ithin-24-hours/

http://chicago.cbslo...t-caught-again/

http://www.chicagotr...0113-story.html

I read a story a while back where I think a juvenile had 4 different felony arrests in the same weekend, but I can't find that story now.

People with FOID cards are not the violent crime problem.

#22 stockboyy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:03 PM

360 back ground checks per year/per FOID.

With nearly 2.25 million active FOID cards .

How much does this COST the tax payers per year?? 

#23 BrowningHP

• Members
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:51 PM

Thanks Todd.

I have an idea. Let's do 720 a year, twice a day. Double the crime prevention

#24 capotwosix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Todd.

I have an idea. Let's do 720 a year, twice a day. Double the crime prevention

Let's just murder illegal... oh wait nvm

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson

#25 BigJim

• Members
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

What about making the case that with the 10 round magazine cap they are making illegal most pistols and that aftermarket 10 round magazines are unreliable but that's their intention to outlaw pistols too.

That's their plan!!!

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#26 Raw Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:57 AM

Senator Harmon seemed to get his panties in a knot over the notion that FOID card holders undergo 360 background checks a year. So let us explain the concept. . .

Almost every night, the FOID list is bounced off of the criminal record index for new arrests and convictions. It is also bounced off of the mental health admissions at Human Services. So your "background" as a FOID card holder is checked by the State Police 360 times a year against state databases.

The difference between that and an FTIP check, is that the FTIP also bounces against the NICS system for the feds.

Now, if running your name through a series of state databases to ensure you are not a prohibited person, is NOT a background check, then what is?

This "statistic" our side is using is really getting under the skin of the anti-gun people and Senator Harmon in particular because it undercuts their argument for adding more restrictions to what we can own. Because the narrative goes like this;

We have to wait 30 days to get a FOID card. We are then checked against the criminal record index and mental health admissions 360 times a year, essentially 360 background checks before we even buy a gun. We then have to wait 24 to 72 hours to pick up our firearms.

If having that FOID, and 360 background checks and waiting periods are not enough, then what is?

We keep hearing that you don't want to take our guns away, but after 360 background checks a year, you still want to have 18, 19 & 20 year olds forfeit their rifles and shotguns. You want to confiscate magazines over 10 rounds from the rest of us, that's right not just guns, but pieces of plastic and sheet metal with springs that you feel we are not fit to own even after 360 background checks a year.

So again, we ask, when is enough enough? When are we good enough, have proved ourselves worthy enough to exercise & enjoy our rights?

We use the number of 360, making the assumption that on News Years, Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July and Christmas they don't do it. 

It's more than enough.

When Senator Harmon is willing to start giving up his 1st amendment rights, he can start talking about infringing on my 2nd.

#27 cybermgk

• 1,923 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:02 AM

That was awesome watching you tear into them.

It was so frusteritng hearing all the arguments where our own politicians at that meeting admit that all the systems they put in place like FOID, all the lawyers, judges and law enforcement, all the local, state and federal agencies not working etc, and their only solution is to pass more laws adding more complexity.

Why don't they pass some laws requiring the government and their agencies to do their damn job...

And if they can't maybe we should be talking term limits as a way to save lives, not magazine limits.

Or some funding laws for new prisons so that they can actually incarcerate criminals.  Stop putting dangerous violent criminals on the street, guess what, violent crime rates go down.

ISRA Member

NRA Member

U.S.A.F Veteran

Single Father of 2

#28 ChicagoRonin70

The Landlord of the Flies!

• 3,527 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

Any place I can hear (or read) the actual discussion from Harmon?

"A well educated Media, being necessary for the preservation of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read books, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary for the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

“One can never underestimate the idiocy of those determined to be offended by things that don't affect their real lives in the slightest.” —Me

“Hatred is the sharpest sword; the desire for peace is armor made of willow leaves in the face of an enemy who despises you, as neither alone will stop a strike that is aimed at your neck.” —Samurai proverb

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.” —Robert Heinlein

“I reserve the right to take any action necessary to maintain the equilibrium in which I've chosen to exist.” —Me

"It ain't braggin' if you done it." —Will Rogers

Gb1XExdm.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users