"six Seconds From Safety" Rule?

Gray Peterson

Hi all, I've posted before, and the bill that was originally proposed would have allowed someone like me to acquire a non-resident permit, but it was apparently amended to only allow judges. :lol:

I remember reading about the "Six Seconds From Safety" rule that apparently applies to FOID card holders. However, non-residents can't get FOID's. Does that Six Seconds From Safety rule still apply to non-residents, or do they have to break down their guns further under the law?

This is a major grey area in this state. Technically, FOID cards only allow Illinois residents to legally purchase and possess firearms. Therefore, if you don't live in this state, there's really no reason to want one. FOID cards do not allow for any type of carry, concealed or otherwise.

The "six seconds from safety" issue you brought up is the grey area. There has been much discussion on this and many other sites regarding this issue. What this does is point out and attempt to exploit the parts of Illinois law regarding firearm transport that pertain to how the weapon must be cased.

Although there are a lot of good arguments for fanny pack carry, and some people are currently doing it with no problems, be aware that this is a legal "loophole", and is generally frowned upon by law enforcement. What would happen to you if you were caught carrying like this would be up to the local authorities.

In closing, I would like to make it clear that I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. I just want to make sure you have the facts straight, because ignorance of the law is no excuse, and could get you arrested.

Stay safe!

Lonnie,

My copy of Public ACT 91-0690 which amended Section 24-1 of the Criminal Code of 1961. Says regarding unlawful use of weapons ... does nt apply to or affect the transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:

(l) are broken down in a non-functioning state;or

(ll)are not immediately accessible;or

(lll)are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owners Identification Card

I'm not a lawyer , but I don't see it anyway applying to non-residents without FOID cards.

I don't know if you can have dual residency. I think you'd need either an Illinois ID or drivers license to get a FOID card since the application has a place for those

numbers. I guess you could make Illinois your place of residence. George Bush Sr. was a Texas resident while president and his address was a motel he stayed at a week or 2 each year. If you do become a resident please make residency somewhere in the Chicago area, get registered to vote, and help vote out a anti- second amendment representative or senator. This would mean you couldn't vote in your present state of course. You could also write that rep or senator and hope they change their stand and we get CCW legislation, that would definately be better than the FOID card. You also should read all of the posts under the Gear discussion regarding Fanny Packs. There are some warnings given, and as John Horstman can attest to, just because you have a FOID card and are properly "transporting" a handgun - unloaded, with magazine out of the handgun, you may still be arrested. The arrests that I've heard of have been in "Daley Land"area, except one in Marion County at a fairgrounds.

I don't know if Illinois states that someone has to turn in their FOID card or that it is invalid if you move to another state, it maybe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.

George Washington

Archived