Photo

Self Defense Insurance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 apollo

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:51 PM

My apologies If this is a duplicate thread, as it seems I have read posts on IC before pertaining to this, but I was not able to locate any threads with search.

Can anyone provide suggestions or preferences for any of the organisations that provide SDI? (i.e. CCW Safe, USCCA, SecondCall or Armed Citizen etc.) I'm also curious as to the reasons for your preference.

From the research I have done so far I'm leaning towards CCW Safe, but I'm looking for any insight on things I may be missing from the folks that know best.

Thanks in advance!

#2 InterestedBystander

• Supporting Members Team
  • 6,405 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:01 PM

CCW Insurance

http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=53732

Does anyone retain defense insurance

http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=53635

Concealed Carry Insurance

http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=47810

Secondcalldefense.org

http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=46689

CCWsafe: worthwhile or not

http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=45072

Insurance for Concealed Carry

http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=43782

Edited by InterestedBystander, 23 April 2015 - 08:10 PM.

NRA Life Member
ISRA Member
FFL-IL Supporter
SAF Member
GOA Member
🇺🇸

#3 spec5

Nuclear Member

• Members
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:35 PM

IBTL
NRA Member Life Member
ISRA Member
Illinois Carry
Pershing Nuclear Missile 56th Field Artillery Brigade Veteran
1/41 Field Artillary Germany

#4 apollo

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:24 PM

Thank You InterestedBystander!!

#5 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• 5,061 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:56 PM

I think that once TyGuy finishes his spreadsheet, we can all stop asking about this. I think he said that he's almost finished.

Have all boated who fish?

#6 bmyers

• 4,086 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:24 AM

I think that once TyGuy finishes his spreadsheet, we can all stop asking about this. I think he said that he's almost finished.

+1

Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, NRA

ISRA Member

#7 AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

Firearm Instructor and Gun Rights Activist

• Members
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:04 AM

Acldn

-Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor
www.alphakoncepts.com  www.gunrights4illinois.com  @AlphaKoncepts

#8 Lionsgate

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 12:01 PM

According to the account manager, David Darter, at CCW Safe, when asked about their funding he replied, "Our funding is proprietary-we do not share."  In plainer English that may mean this is none.  Where does the money come from to support their coverage?  With no claims against their membership they ride the money train until someone makes them pony up.  What good reason is there to avoid showing proof that they can indeed provide the services they offer which really quite unbelievable...

When something sounds too good to be true....

#9 bw200

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 02:15 PM

Does the nra have a insurance that works with conce al carry?

#10 AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

• Members
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:59 AM

Does the nra have a insurance that works with conce al carry?

NRA has partnered with 2nd call defense. It's not NRA insurance, however the insurer is endorsed by the NRA. 

-Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Concealed Carry Instructor

#11 WARFACE

• Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:19 AM

id Darter, at CCW Safe, when asked about their funding he replied, "Our funding is proprietary-we do not share."  In plainer English that may mean this is none.  Where does the money come from to support their coverage?  With no claims against their membership they ride the money train until someone makes them pony up.  What good reason is there to avoid showing proof that they can indeed provide the services they offer which really quite unbelievable...

Maybe there is a good reason they don't share their info as to where their funding comes from as in "it's none of your business". Would you expect any other business to be forthcoming with that information? Maybe they haven't had to pony up for a defense yet because there hasn't been one yet. DGU's are pretty rare and getting sued for one is probably just as rare. I have spoken with David and his responses to my questions made me feel comfortable with buying their service. The longer they go taking in money and not paying it out, the better their resources are for a defense. They are pretty upfront about their services and have a few heavy-hitters for spokesmen in their corner so take it at face value or sign up elsewhere. Some people see a conspiracy everywhere they look. For a 100 a year and the small risk of a DGU AND a civil suit, sign me up.

Aspire to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

#12 AlphaKoncepts aka CGS

• Members
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

id Darter, at CCW Safe, when asked about their funding he replied, "Our funding is proprietary-we do not share."  In plainer English that may mean this is none.  Where does the money come from to support their coverage?  With no claims against their membership they ride the money train until someone makes them pony up.  What good reason is there to avoid showing proof that they can indeed provide the services they offer which really quite unbelievable...

Maybe there is a good reason they don't share their info as to where their funding comes from as in "it's none of your business". Would you expect any other business to be forthcoming with that information? Maybe they haven't had to pony up for a defense yet because there hasn't been one yet. DGU's are pretty rare and getting sued for one is probably just as rare. I have spoken with David and his responses to my questions made me feel comfortable with buying their service. The longer they go taking in money and not paying it out, the better their resources are for a defense. They are pretty upfront about their services and have a few heavy-hitters for spokesmen in their corner so take it at face value or sign up elsewhere. Some people see a conspiracy everywhere they look. For a 100 a year and the small risk of a DGU AND a civil suit, sign me up.

I dunno, ACLDn and at least one other which escapes me right now, are pretty quick to mention when they pony up and it's more often than you'd think.  ACLDN doe not make any mistakes about their funding, they are self funded by their members as well as donations for persons and corporations and as of last report have a pretty nice treasury set aside for their members. 

-Thomas

#13 Lionsgate

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 05:34 AM

Hey WARFACE, It's not about conspiracy.  Why do you even bring that up?  It is not unreasonable to ask about their ability to provide the services they offer.  They make big claims for little money.  It's called due diligence.  Providing customers with proof of their financial strength is not an unusual thing to do.  It IS our business if we are interested in knowing who we can trust and who we cannot.  Building a war chest based on the income they are collecting is not the way to fund a business that might have to produce large sums to provide services.  Anyway, your point is taken but it is not unreasonable to be curious about their funding.  They make big claims and offer substantial assurances.  It would be nice to know how they are underwritten.  Promises come and go.... 

#14 Smallbore

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:38 AM

Checking out a business before investing in or buying a service from is just plain smart. That company should be happy to show you their portfolio.

#15 Lionsgate

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:23 AM

Thank you, Smallbore....my thinking is the same.