Handgunlaw.us Seeking Information

Gary Slider

I have a copy of the Administrative Rules but they are not the Adopted Version. From what I understand they were adopted. I can not find an adopted copy of the rules. Does anyone have a copy of or a link to the Adopted Rules? Thank you for any help you can give Handgunlaw.us with this matter.

Also the follwoing states will honor your Illinois Permit when you obtain it.

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansa Idaho Indiana Iowa

Kansas Kentucky Michigan Mississippi Missouri North Carolina Oklahoma

South Dakota Tennessee Utah Vermont

Montana will most likely add Illinois to the list of states they honor. They just look at the others laws and if they meet their criteria they will honor them. Illinois will most likely meet their criteria. Nebraska does about the same thing as Montana so they "Should" add Illinois as a state they honor in the future. Nevada "could" add Illinois as a state they honor. The NV Sheriffs meet each year and look at the other states and if they have the criteria they unilaterally honor that state. We won't know that until July as that is when the NV Sheriffs release their listing. Texas "MAY" unilaterally honor Illinois. Texas did that for Calilfornia, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Mass and other states that don't have reciprocity in their laws. So there is a chance they will uniliaterally honor Illinois. Time will tell. That is about all that could honor Illinois. The others require an agreement or the other state has to honor them or don't honor any other states.

It is possible we will see some changes to the proposed rules but this is the most recent version.

ISP_Proposed_Rules_2013 for instructors.pdf

Molly B do they have to be adopted before January 5th and presented to the SOS?

Thank you. Comparing that looks like the same copy that I have. Will just have to wait for the Sec of State to hopfully post them.

I also missed Wisconsin in my post. WI could honor Illinois. They don't require the other state to honor them they just look at their criteria. Illinois has made it difficult to obtain a permit and for a Shall Issue state has what I consider the most stringent rules on obtaining one. The only thing that IL doesn't require is fingerprints that some states require. They want them but you don't have to supply them to obtain an IL permit. I am not positive that Wisconsin requires a state to take fingerprints before they will honor them. Again time will tell.

Again thank you for the information. Very much appreciated.

Thank you. Comparing that looks like the same copy that I have. Will just have to wait for the Sec of State to hopfully post them.

I also missed Wisconsin in my post. WI could honor Illinois. They don't require the other state to honor them they just look at their criteria. Illinois has made it difficult to obtain a permit and for a Shall Issue state has what I consider the most stringent rules on obtaining one. The only thing that IL doesn't require is fingerprints that some states require. They want them but you don't have to supply them to obtain an IL permit. I am not positive that Wisconsin requires a state to take fingerprints before they will honor them. Again time will tell.

Again thank you for the information. Very much appreciated.

Thanks for that info, I was going to ask you about WI.

I updated the IL page to show the latest news from the IL State Police and their new listing of state/s.

Knowing is 90% of the battle for me. Been doing this for 19 + years now and Still finding information pages out there I didn't know existed. I just wasn't looking in the right place. Then some states really hide things and make it difficult to navigate to them.

I should also add that Virginia might honor the IL permit. They will honor a state without that state honoring them. How states decide how they honor another state is not complicated it is actually CRAZY!!! They all do it a little different then some have little quirks in their laws or rules or have no rhyme or reason for honoring one state but not another.

Gary, just wanted to thank you and your folks at handgunlaw.us for your work!

I'd like to echo this, thank you for the work you do for that website, it's an essential resource.

Indeed, I refer to it often and refer others to it. Thanks for your work.

One more state I was curious about was New Mexico, I had thought that they did a determination of permit requirements and would do one-way recognition.

Nevada is the one I'm most interested in.

Thank you for the kind words about Handgunlaw.us It is very much appreciated. I want to add that I couldn't do this by myself. I depend on people just like everyone here giving me a heads up on things happening in the different states. No one can see it all. It is the little changes that are the hardest to see. I started this thread because a member of this board sent me some info that helped Handgunlaw.us So I ask a question when I couldn't find an answer and got all kinds of help. That help from you is what makes Handgunlaw.us what it is. Please keep sending anything you think would be of interest to Handgunlaw.us as I depend on it! Couldn't do this without you.

New Mexico's Firearm Unit is weird and I don't say that in a good way. They don't make sense. Two years ago they dropped a dozen states from the list they would honor then added most of them back but not all. They have added some more but only when they can sign an agreement or the other state would honor them. I don't see New Mexico honoring Illiinois.

I also appreciate what you, and the rest of the team do, Gary. It definitely is nice to use your site when traveling. I don't take it all for gospel, just because of the fact everything does change so quick, but it sure is nice to use. I'm curious if you ever thought of doing an app for android, etc? Or perhaps you do, and I've just never noticed it? I'm sure there are thousands of people who would love it. :)

On your comments about New Mexico. Iowa honors them, sure would be nice for New Mexico to honor Iowa. :) Yes, yes.. I live in Iowa. lol :)

I also appreciate what you, and the rest of the team do, Gary. It definitely is nice to use your site when traveling. I don't take it all for gospel, just because of the fact everything does change so quick, but it sure is nice to use. I'm curious if you ever thought of doing an app for android, etc? Or perhaps you do, and I've just never noticed it? I'm sure there are thousands of people who would love it. :)

On your comments about New Mexico. Iowa honors them, sure would be nice for New Mexico to honor Iowa. :) Yes, yes.. I live in Iowa. lol :)

It is not handgunlaw.us but I just bought this app the other day. It looks pretty good: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ryan.ccw

It is not handgunlaw.us but I just bought this app the other day. It looks pretty good: https://play.google....ils?id=ryan.ccw

I have this app as well. Pretty useful once you ignore the horrible looking UI.

It is not handgunlaw.us but I just bought this app the other day. It looks pretty good: https://play.google....ils?id=ryan.ccw

Yes, I have that app as well as their brother app which lists non-gun businesses. I was just curious about handgun putting one out. :)

But, thank you for bringing that up. Appreciate it very much! :)

• 3 months later...

I spoke with Gary last week and this is what he had to say,

"Around July 1st the Nevada Sheriffs Association posts what states that Nevada will honor. State law gives them this authority. So by then we will know about Illinois. I believe Nevada will for two reasons. IL meets the requirements and there are a lot of people in IL and Vegas needs guests and this will get them some!"

Any idea if Minnesota can or will ever honor Il

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/Pages/permit-to-carry-reciprocity.aspx

On an annual basis, the Minnesota Department of Public Safety is directed to establish and publish an online Internet listing of states which have handgun carry permit laws that are not substantially similar to Minnesota’s law under Minnesota Session Laws 2003, Chapter 28, Article 2 Section 21, Minn. Stat. 624.714 Subd. 16. The department has determined that laws of the following states are not substantially similar to Minnesota (or have no handgun permit provisions) and are not valid in Minnesota:

At their annual review, I would think it very likely that MN would move Illinois from the "unacceptable" list to the list of acceptable states. Like NV, it's probably just waiting for the administrative body in those other states to catch up. Unlike NV, I can't find a reference for when MN publishes their annual list. The substantial background check, training and qualification requirements should easily surpass any other state's permit requirements, so most states that base recognition on an analysis of other states' requirements will probably add Illinois eventually.

Currently you'd have to go for a Utah concealed carry license if you wanted to carry in MN, unless MN decides to accept IL.

The substantial background check, training and qualification requirements should easily surpass any other state's permit requirements, so most states that base recognition on an analysis of other states' requirements will probably add Illinois eventually.

This.

Our training and BGCs exceed the vast majority of other states, so I could see us being recognized - if not reciprocal - with the majority of shall issue jurisdictions eventually... but they're in no rush on our behalf.

From the MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension CCW Reciprocity Page:

States With Laws NOT Substantially Similar to Minnesota

On an annual basis, the Minnesota Department of Public Safety is directed to establish and publish an online Internet listing of states which have handgun carry permit laws that are not substantially similar to Minnesota’s law under Minnesota Session Laws 2003, Chapter 28, Article 2 Section 21, Minn. Stat. 624.714 Subd. 16. The department has determined that laws of the following states are not substantially similar to Minnesota (or have no handgun permit provisions) and are not valid in Minnesota:

Alabama ​Florida ​Maine ​New Jersey ​South Carolina

​Arizona ​Georgia ​Maryland ​New York ​South Dakota

​California ​Hawaii ​Massachusetts ​North Carolina ​Vermont

​Colorado ​Idaho ​Mississippi ​North Dakota ​Virginia

​Connecticut ​Illinois ​Montana ​Oregon ​Washington

​Delaware ​Indiana ​Nebraska ​Pennsylvania ​West Virginia

​District of Columbia ​Iowa ​New Hampshire ​Rhode Island ​Wisconsin

Out of State Permits Valid in Minnesota

Minnesota laws authorize individuals holding gun permits from the following states to carry in Minnesota:

​Alaska ​Kentucky ​Missouri ​Ohio ​Texas

​Arkansas ​Louisiana ​New Mexico ​Oklahoma ​Utah

​Kansas ​Michigan ​Nevada ​Tennessee ​Wyoming

Please note that the permit issued by your state does not supersede Minnesota's laws or regulations. Legal conduct in your state may not be legal in Minnesota.

Archived