Richard Pearson screwed gun owners in WA state

44Brent

Remember back when Richard Pearson and the ISRA agreed to a bill that would close the "gun show loophole"? Well the antis threw that back in Washington gun owners' faces today in the State of Washington. Today a hearing was held on closing the so-called "gun show loophole", and gues what the antis brought up? You guessed it.

"The Illinois State Rifle Association supports closing the gun show 'loophole' and they are affiliated with the NRA".

they also sold us out when I asked about not getting ammo shipped in from out of state a couple years back.

he told to jsut get it shipped to a dealer. I was a C&R at the time too.

he didn't give a crap if the little got screwed, just as long as the dalers made money to pay more to him I guess

that is why I do not pay to the ISRA

He is ineffective at best and at times seem to be a collaborator with our legislative enemies...in my opinion. :cheers:

...well I'm one of those who think he should give up and get out to the pasture.

Here we are, a very little internet group, that got a ball rolling on IGOLD with the buses, sponsors and such, when this should have been done along time ago by the ISRA.

I'm not much of a politician, but I'm not that stupid to know you can't pull a dump arse stunt like that "gum shoe" bill and expect it not to bite your own arse.

Reminds me of a politican....I actually voted for the $$ before I vote against the $$.

So here we have....I was agains't the gun loop hole show bill, before I was for the gun loop hole show bill.

Provide a link....he needs reminding of his stupidness. We all need to send him a message.

Ah, it is a link you want? Why Richard Pearson's own press release is available right here:

http://press.arrivenet.com/politics/article.php/636068.html

======================

ISRA: Illinois State Police Voice Opposition to Closing Gun Show Loophole

Distribution Source : U.S. Newswire

Date : Wednesday, May 11, 2005

To: State Desk

Contact: Richard Pearson of the Illinois State Rifle Association, 815-635-3198; http://www.isra.org

SPRINGFIELD, Ill., May 11 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The following was released today by the Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA):

In a move that has shocked many on Capitol Hill, the Illinois State Police (ISP) have come out in opposition to a bill designed to close the "gun show loophole."

In a tersely worded May 11, 2005 letter, ISP Director Larry Trent implored state legislators to vote "no" on Senate Bill 57. In that letter, Trent made unfounded claims that the bill would endanger the lives of police officers.

Sponsored in the Illinois House by Rep. John Millner, SB57 would put in place safeguards to prevent terrorists, drug lords and gang bangers from acquiring weapons at gun shows. The bill would greatly strengthen the state's background check law -- thus protecting the public and police officers alike from gun violence. The bill would also bring the state's gun purchase record keeping system into line with federal regulations.

Those close to the issue suspect that Governor Blagojevich bowed under pressure from the Daley Administration to run interference against passage of SB57 because a gun show bill backed by Daley failed earlier this session. Legislators rejected the Daley gun show bill because it needlessly interfered with the rights of law-abiding citizens.

"It's incredible that Director Trent would accuse Rep. Millner of sponsoring a bill that would endanger police officers," commented ISRA Executive Director Richard Pearson. "Rep. Millner is a highly regarded member of the law enforcement community. He is the former Chief of the Elmhurst Police Department as well as a past president of the Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police. He is also the recipient of the 1998 Thrasher Award for prevention of gang violence. In 1996, Chief Millner received the Chief of the Year Award from the Illinois State Crime Commission. If anybody knows what is good for the welfare of our police officers, it's Chief Millner. To suggest otherwise smacks of political sour grapes."

"Terrorists pose a serious threat to all Illinois citizens," continued Pearson. "It's time for us to remove gun shows from that threat equation. SB57 is just the tool to do that. In fact, it is the only tool to do that. If SB57 fails because the governor thinks that it came from the "wrong" side of the aisle, the people of Illinois lose again -- thanks to petty politics. Any representative that votes against SB57 will have to face his or her constituents and explain just why they voted against closing the gun show loophole."

---

The ISRA is the state's leading advocate of safe, lawful and responsible firearms ownership. For more than a century, the ISRA has represented the interests of 1.5 million law-abiding Illinois firearm owners.

http://www.commondreams.org/news2005/0720-06.htm

Following are some suggested questions for journalists who intend to cover Mr. LaPierre's comments:

Questions for Wayne LaPierre:

CLOSING THE GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE

This year the NRA and the Illinois Rifle Association (ISRA), an NRA state affiliate, supported SB 57, a bill that would have closed the gun show loophole, which the NRA has said does not exist. In a press release issued May 19, Richard Pearson, the executive director of the state group, said that requiring background checks for all firearm sales at gun shows would "make it much more difficult for terrorists, gang bangers and drug lords to acquire weapons by exploiting loopholes in current law." How can the NRA reconcile its support for SB 57 in Illinois with its opposition to the proposal by Senators John McCain and Jack Reed for a federal requirement for background checks on all firearm sales at gun shows? And based on Pearson's comments, does the NRA now acknowledge that the absence of a requirement for background checks on all firearm sales at guns makes it easier for criminals to get guns?

Looks like the Brady Campaign used Richard Pearson's press release to support their demand that the gun show "loophole" be closed in Virginia.

http://www.csgv.org/issues/illegalmarkets/...p/vagsl_faq.cfm

The NRA says it supports the current requirement for background checks at licensed dealers; in fact, they claim it was their idea, and they have recently supported extending background checks to gun shows in Illinois. In 2005 the NRA and the Illinois Rifle Association (ISRA), an NRA state affiliate, endorsed  SB 57, a bill that would have required background checks at Illinois gun shows. The NRA has never been able to explain why it supported the Illinois bill while continuing to insist that requiring background checks amount to an anti-gun plot in Virginia.

In a May 19, 2005, press release, Richard Pearson, ISRA's executive director, said requiring background checks at gun shows would "make it much more difficult for terrorists, gang bangers and drug lords to acquire weapons by exploiting loopholes in current law."

all I can say is follow the money folks

he gets paid by ifoits thinking he is going to do something...we donate to him...he attempts to fight for our rights.....

we have seen the light, but many others do not

we should advocate that he does not speak for the gun oweners in Illinois and advocate that no one donates to someone who is not on our side

Archived