Photo

Motorcycle and holster

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thanatos

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

Can you carry on your person in a vehicle? I couldn't find it in the rules but here is ONE of my questions. If you can carry on your person in vehicle can you on a motorcycle? I found this in the rules "Within a vehicle" means within the passenger compartment of a passenger or recreational vehicle or within a lockable container secured to a motorcycle. If you have a Permit then why can't you carry on a bike? Second Is it still in the law/rules as mostly concealed and if so can you have a holster show but none of the gun at all? I seen it on here some where that it was fully concealed and not mostly.
Pro 2nd amendment!      Patron Member of NRA!    Gun Smith

#2 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,342 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

Can you carry on your person in a vehicle? I couldn't find it in the rules but here is ONE of my questions. If you can carry on your person in vehicle can you on a motorcycle? I found this in the rules "Within a vehicle" means within the passenger compartment of a passenger or recreational vehicle or within a lockable container secured to a motorcycle. If you have a Permit then why can't you carry on a bike? Second Is it still in the law/rules as mostly concealed and if so can you have a holster show but none of the gun at all? I seen it on here some where that it was fully concealed and not mostly.

A licensee under the FCCA can carry on person in a vehicle (on a motorcycle).

The language you're quoting "within a lockable container" leads me to believe that rule is in the safe storage provision in the law. I will simply state that a licensee can carry a concealed or mostly concealed handgun on or about their person or in a vehicle hidden from view.

The concealed or mostly concealed language is still intact. Practically speaking, the mostly concealed language is used to protect licensees from being charged for "printing." It should not be construed that any part of of the gun or holster is "ok" to leave exposed, but forgivable if it is momentarily exposed.

BTW, what "rules" were you reading this from?
You're not done explaining your position until no one can figure out what you're trying to explain.

#3 BigJim

• Members
  • 2,005 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

If you're going to carry on your bike I suggest you get a riding jacket with built in holster pocket. Google "motorcycle jacket with gun pockets" and several will show up.
Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#4 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

I mainly carry IWB at about the 3:30 position. I also prefer to ride only when its warm out with just a tshirt. The shirt has a tendency to move around quite a bit while riding to the point the gun will more than likely be exposed at some point. I would prefer to not have to change my concealed carry style to accomodate my riding style. IWB, IMO, is already mostly concealed in that only the grip is exposed. I'm assuming the arresting officer would have to use his/her best discretion for every situation.
...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#5 sctman800

• Members
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:08 AM

Having a Florida license since 2002 and living within ten miles of Indiana I have carried thousands of miles on a motorcycle. Summer I carry IWB tuckable with a t-shirt and maybe a leather vest. When the weather cools off I still usually carry IWB not tucked. I also sometimes use a paddle holster or a shoulder holster. Jim.
Kristofferson wrote it and Janis sang it "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

#6 thanatos

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

BTW, what "rules" were you reading this from?

Illinois State Police - Proposed FCCA Rules

#7 mrmagloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

x3. I IWB at 3:30 with my VM2/1911 and have rode thousands of miles across the country comfortably. I have however given some thought of picking up. Miami Classic II but I'm not too thrilled with the horizontal cant. Galco does have a vertical version but the shoulder rig and the mag pouches are all different.

Edited by mrmagloo, 22 October 2013 - 08:09 PM.

#8 thanatos

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

The problem isn't riding with a gun (I ride with a holster ever time) it is CAN we since there is no compartment as on a car/truck. Also there hasn't been any thing on if the holster can be seen as long as the gun is covered.

#9 Glock23

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

The problem isn't riding with a gun (I ride with a holster ever time) it is CAN we since there is no compartment as on a car/truck. Also there hasn't been any thing on if the holster can be seen as long as the gun is covered.

Yes, you can.

The compartment is regarding leaving the gun in your car / on your motorcycle. Something to the effect of "out of sight within a locked vehicle or within a locked case in the vehicle."

The general idea is if the car is locked, the gun must be out of sight. If the car is not locked (or your car is a motorcycle), the gun must be within a locked container. Many have mentioned having some type of gun vault installed in a saddle bag and mounted/cabled to the bike.

As for the holster question, the legislative intent behind "mostly concealed" was to prevent prosecution if you were printing, or your gun was visible when you reached for something, bent over, etc.

There will be some who try to push the limits and argue that a holster conceals "most" of the gun by itself... and many of those will be arrested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users