Photo

Instructors approved!

• Please log in to reply
1050 replies to this topic

#121 Elmer Fudd

• Members
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

Just to make the earlier poster feel better...I built out a signature block :frantics:

NRA Ring of Freedom Member, ISRA, NYSRPA, SAF, GOA, NFATCHA
NRA Cert.RSO, CRSO - Instr. Pistol, PPITH, PPOTH, Rifle, RTBAV, Metallic Reloading

NRA Club Lead. & Develop. Cert., Range Development & Operations, Utah CCW Instr.  Simunition Certified

#122 pdpsc

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

Just to make the earlier poster feel better...I built out a signature block :frantics:

Whew, I got all the way to the end before I saw that you have a backup Glock for all those 1911s...I kid

Edited by pdpsc, 07 September 2013 - 09:57 PM.

Firearms Instructor - Metro Training Group Facebook
FFL Dealer/Gunsmith - Metro Armory Facebook
ISP Certified Firearm Concealed Carry License Instructor #1
Armorer - Glock, Smith & Wesson (M&P Pistol & M&P15 Rifle) & Springfield Armory (XD/XDm & M1911)
NRA Endowment-Life Member
ISRA Life Member

#123 Elmer Fudd

• Members
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

Whew, I got all the way to the end before I saw that you have a backup Glock for all those 1911s...I kid

NO problem....I feel more adequate now that I am properly adorned...but the simple point is...how long one belongs to a particular forum, post count, etc. aren't the key....its really important that each of us does what we can within our ability and time constraints to make sure the 2A survives....and my sense is that just about everyone here shares that concern.

NRA Ring of Freedom Member, ISRA, NYSRPA, SAF, GOA, NFATCHA
NRA Cert.RSO, CRSO - Instr. Pistol, PPITH, PPOTH, Rifle, RTBAV, Metallic Reloading

NRA Club Lead. & Develop. Cert., Range Development & Operations, Utah CCW Instr.  Simunition Certified

#124 JPD158

• Validating
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

I'm LEO but didn't even mention it in the app. Submitted mine Sunday night after getting printed. We'll see how long it takes. Congrats to those already approved.

#125 AdamRos19

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

So if I understand correctly, you are all saying that the curriculum approval form submitted with the application was not the same as curriculum approval for CCL courses? I thought that was the point of it? If not then how do they go about approving said curriculum (anyone have experience of this possibly from other states?)

#126 maxcapp

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:09 AM

So if I understand correctly, you are all saying that the curriculum approval form submitted with the application was not the same as curriculum approval for CCL courses? I thought that was the point of it? If not then how do they go about approving said curriculum (anyone have experience of this possibly from other states?)

It is the same. Just fill out what is on the ISP site and mail it.
Jon M. Capp
Northeast Missouri Firearm Training
(Western Illinois Region) Quincy & Hannibal
WWW.NEMOFIREARMTRAINING.COM
(573)795-1249

#127 AdamRos19

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

That's the way I understood it but then why are soapy folks saying "even if the instructor is approved ISP still hasn't approved curriculum"?

#128 chevsuz12

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

That's the way I understood it but then why are soapy folks saying "even if the instructor is approved ISP still hasn't approved curriculum"?

I plan to call ISP Monday to verify that I am good to go. I also am curious if certified instructors will receive additional credentials (certificate, some type of ID card, etc.) or is just seeing your name on the ISP website good enough? It seems to me, the further we get in this process, the more questions we have.

http://www.illinoisfirearmsafety.com
ISP Certified Firearm Concealed Carry License Instructor
Chicago Area Classes 16-Hour $195  8-Hour $110 (includes range fees)
NRA Certified Instructor Basic Pistol, PPITH
Utah BCI Certified CCW Instructor

#129 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• 9,269 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

Yeah, it seems to me that the ISP is simply counting on instructors' affidavits that they are teaching a curriculum that meets their standard. Therefore, approved instructors who have signed the curriculum affidavit are good to go.

I'm hoping they tweak their standards so that they are reasonable. We aren't signing it as it isn't teachable, in our opinion. Several questions remain open...one such being what the heck they mean by "public storage".

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#130 leaddog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

Wow! What a discussion. If they go alphabetically, I am a W in a W county, so it will be 2515 before they get to me. I got printed Friday AM, submitted the electronic stuff on Fri evening and sent paper stuff Sat AM Express mail. I wonder how big the pile is that they are going through?
IL Concealed Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Instructor
Appleseed Instructor in Training (appleseedinfo.org)
IL DNR Hunter Safety Instructor
Proud Grandpa

#131 bobapunk

• Members
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

Do you see a list of approved curricula on the ISP's website? I don't...

#132 bobapunk

• Members
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

I plan to call ISP Monday to verify that I am good to go. I also am curious if certified instructors will receive additional credentials (certificate, some type of ID card, etc.) or is just seeing your name on the ISP website good enough? It seems to me, the further we get in this process, the more questions we have.

You have to get an ID# so you can fill out the "Department's Concealed Carry Firearms Training Certification form".

You also need the ID# for the approved curriculum that you taught to fill out the form.

c) On the Certitication form, the Instructor shall:
1) certify that the applicant successfully completed a 16 hour training course,
an 8 hour training course, or a 3 hour renewal training course; and
2) provide the unique identification number assigned by the Department to
the approved curriculum and the Instructor.

#133 bobapunk

• Members
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

Wow! What a discussion. If they go alphabetically, I am a W in a W county, so it will be 2515 before they get to me. I got printed Friday AM, submitted the electronic stuff on Fri evening and sent paper stuff Sat AM Express mail. I wonder how big the pile is that they are going through?

I do not think they are going alphabetically... There is already an instructor in Kane Co. There are many counties A-J and I have a difficult time believing that there are no instructor applicants in those counties. I think First come = First Served is much more likely with the applicants batched by what day their paperwork got to the PO box.

#134 TimGiblin

• 1,759 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

Just curious, how many of you "approved instructors" were approved using only the NRA Basic Pistol credentials?

I'm wondering if any were. If so cool. If not rethinking is in order.

Loctite/paint pen/regularly check your gear. A gun falling off your belt is unacceptable

www.TrainIllinois.com. Pistol, Shotgun, Carbine and Low Light courses currently available. ISP approved instructor and Course Tim@TrainIllinois.com

#135 ming

• 1,661 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

Just curious, how many of you "approved instructors" were approved using only the NRA Basic Pistol credentials?

Loctite/paint pen/regularly check your gear. A gun falling off your belt is unacceptable

At least one instructor was approved using only the NRA Pistol Instructor credentials. I'm guessing we will see a bunch of instructors added to the list Monday when ISP gets back to work on it .

Edited by ming, 08 September 2013 - 10:19 AM.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol and PPITH Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
ISRA Member
Registered Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor

#136 bmyers

• Members
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

I see the link at the being of this post, but how are those that go straight to ISP website supposed to find the link? I looked at the site map and carry page and don't see a link to the instructor search page.

#137 RANDY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

ISP website, left side, firearms, concealed carry, concealed carry instructor search.
LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GET STEPPED ON

#138 bmyers

• Members
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

ISP website, left side, firearms, concealed carry, concealed carry instructor search.

Thank you!

#139 gangrel

• Members
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

PPOtH Instructor here, so one down...can't speak for the other 6...
NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH

#140 Double P

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

Still none for Sangamon county.

#141 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 7,068 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

Yeah, it seems to me that the ISP is simply counting on instructors' affidavits that they are teaching a curriculum that meets their standard. Therefore, approved instructors who have signed the curriculum affidavit are good to go.

Gangrel was approved without sending the curriculum affadavit thing, unless we are talking about different affadavits

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
Utah Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Have all boated who fish? Have all boated who fish?

#142 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 7,068 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

I guess we'll have to watch and see. Todd and Molly said BP was good to go.

Edited by Mr. Fife, 08 September 2013 - 08:39 PM.

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
Utah Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Have all boated who fish? Have all boated who fish?

#143 Craigcelia

Country Music Anyone?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

So where do we find what is acceptable as prior training?

You can't. Still waiting for ISP which I am hesitant in believing they will post anything at this point.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Craig

craig@safegunpermits.com
www.SAFEgunpermits.com

ISRA BoD/Webteam
NRA / ISRA Life Member
NRA Instructor Disciplines: Pistol/CRSO/RTBAV/PPITH/PPOTH/LE Pistol
Utah CCW / IL Registered Firearms Instructor /
ISP Approved CCL Instructor

Posted Image

#144 gangrel

• Members
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:27 PM

I guess we'll have to watch and see. Todd and Molly said BP was good to go.

I have heard that too. Only pointing out that I can't speak from experience..
NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, PPIH, PPOH

#145 sctman800

• Members
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

You can't. Still waiting for ISP which I am hesitant in believing they will post anything at this point.

That is the way I am seeing it also. The ISP now have approved a few instructors so they have met the mandatory date for that. Now was there a mandatory date they have to clarify what the acceptable grandfathered training will be? They will "slow walk" this to death from old age. Jim.
Kristofferson wrote it and Janis sang it "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

#146 bobapunk

• Members
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:37 AM

I am beginning to wonder the same thing... I find it hard to believe that with the way they have tried to micromanage everything else, they would leave that amount of control in the instructors hands?

It almost feels like a trap...

#147 Xwing

• Members
  • 5,917 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:03 AM

Very :cool: that they finally started approving instructors (although slowly). I expect this to be a very long list by the end of this week. Hopefully instructors will start planning and publishing class times here (+availability and cost). Should be fun. :)
NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
CCW Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#148 w00dc4ip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

Curious if Richard Lucas is going to regret using his Loyola University Chicago email address for this. Anybody know him around here?
When my country, into which I had just set my foot, was set on fire about my ears, it was time to stir. It was time for every man to stir. - Thomas Paine

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world - "No, you move." - Captain America

#149 GUNS&LAWYERS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

That is the way I am seeing it also. The ISP now have approved a few instructors so they have met the mandatory date for that. Now was there a mandatory date they have to clarify what the acceptable grandfathered training will be? They will "slow walk" this to death from old age. Jim.

The mandatory date for posting courses is the same as instructors, 60 days. Section 75, paragraph a...

"Within 60 days of the effective date of this Act, the Department shall begin approval of firearm training courses and shall make a list of approved courses available on the Department's website.

A normal reading of this would mean that they were required to begin approving courses and post at least one of those courses within 60 days...just like they did with instructors.

But, that is just what the law says...they don't need to follow no stinking law.
"Send lawyers, guns and money...the $#!% has hit the fan."
Warren Zevon

#150 Beezil

• 2,303 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

I'm hoping they tweak their standards so that they are reasonable. We aren't signing it as it isn't teachable, in our opinion. Several questions remain open...one such being what the heck they mean by "public storage".

you gotta sign it to find out what it is.....

pelosi style.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users