Photo

Illinois Concealed Carry Update

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#1 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 11,643 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:06 PM

Yesterday there was a high level meeting with the Illinois State Police and the legal counsel for key leaders at the State Capitol. The ISP reports they are on track to get things done by the designated deadlines.

The plan is to have the instructor application up on their website Sept. 6. We believe instructors will apply and submit info about their curriculum all at the same time but will apply separately for their carry license. Electronic fingerprints will be required for instructors so they can do background checks - same prints will be accepted for license application. Fingerprints are not required in the law, but they plan to do it through JCAR (Joint Committee on Administrative Rules.) They do not intend to add any other requirements or fees for instructors.

NRA Pistol instructor will be accepted and NRA Pistol classes will count toward the required training.

They are wanting names of anyone who is presenting themselves as pre-approved, or saying their class is IL certified - they will fine them and if they are ISP they will also be disciplined.

The take away from the meeting is that all the high level people at the Capitol and with the ISP want this thing done without any stalling or foot dragging. Everything is going pretty much as planned and by the deadlines. Unless something changes.

We are very encouraged to hear this.
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#2 Frank

Formerly FrankW438

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

AWESOME to see some positive movement here!

-- Frank

NRA Life Member - NRA Basic Pistol Instructor - NRA PPIH Instructor - NRA PPOH Instructor - USPSA Range Officer - IL Firearms Concealed Carry Instructor - ITWT Club Member #438

"The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside." -Moore v. Madigan, 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, December 11, 2012

#3 TyGuy

• 5,999 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

Hunter Safety still counts for 8 hours right?
ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread ---- Daily Deals Thread

#4 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

They are wanting names of anyone who is presenting themselves as pre-approved, or saying their class is IL certified - they will fine them and if they are ISP they will also be disciplined.

I'm sure I have heard people advertising CCW classes already, I just can't remeber where. Maybe on the radio. Hmm.

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
Utah Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Have all boated who fish? Have all boated who fish?

#5 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 11,643 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hunter Safety still counts for 8 hours right?

Yes.
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#6 TyGuy

• 5,999 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:37 PM

Edited by TyGuy, 22 August 2013 - 10:54 PM.

ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread ---- Daily Deals Thread

#7 Craigcelia

Country Music Anyone?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

AWESOME to see some positive movement here!

-- Frank

+1

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Craig

ISRA Board of Directors/Webteam
NRA / ISRA Life Member
NRA Instructor Disciplines: Pistol/CRSO/RTBAV/PPITH/PPOTH/LE Pistol
Utah CCW / IL Registered Firearms Instructor /
ISP Approved CCL Instructor

#8 Frank

Formerly FrankW438

• 1,684 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

I hope they post some guidelines soon. I found someone to do my electronic prints, now I just need to know how and who to submit them to.

NRA Life Member - NRA Basic Pistol Instructor - NRA PPIH Instructor - NRA PPOH Instructor - USPSA Range Officer - IL Firearms Concealed Carry Instructor - ITWT Club Member #438

"The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside." -Moore v. Madigan, 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, December 11, 2012

#9 pdpsc

• 2,128 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

I hope they post some guidelines soon. I found someone to do my electronic prints, now I just need to know how and who to submit them to.

How and where to submit them is not your problem. The fingerprint vendor is responsible for submitting the prints.
Firearms Instructor - Metro Training Group Facebook
FFL Dealer/Gunsmith - Metro Armory Facebook
ISP Certified Firearm Concealed Carry License Instructor #1
Armorer - Glock, Smith & Wesson (M&P Pistol & M&P15 Rifle) & Springfield Armory (XD/XDm & M1911)
NRA Endowment-Life Member
ISRA Life Member

#10 BrowningHP

• 1,422 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:17 PM

I bet the rank and file of the ISP can deliver as long as their leadership doesn't get in their way. When I emailed the FOID people and got a response same day, despite their load, I was really surprised. I bet if the courts keep their leadership out of their way and give them what they need they can execute. Thanks for the update Molly

Edited by BrowningHP, 22 August 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#11 TFC

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:06 AM

Excellent.
Thanks for the update, Molly.
~If you speak of a gun as a toy, then you see medical waste as playground filler. Yes, it means you're a screwed up individual.~
~"An invasion of mainland America is unwise. Behind every blade of grass a rifle would await us"
-Yamamoto Isoroku
I predicted that Chicago/Cook county will be sold out in order to get "shall issue".
Based on the restrictions on carry in Chicago/Cook County, I was right.

...doing just enough to keep them out of Federal Court...

#12 mkfrns

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:17 AM

Good to hear, thanks for the update.

#13 bmyers

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:41 AM

I'm assuming the fingerprint requirement will only apply to the instructors and not anyone else?

#14 GAS3987

• 2,916 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

Great to hear about the Hunter's Safety Course! Just finished this with my dad last month.
Nehemiah 4:9
Luke 22:36
Molon Labe

#15 Booxone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:47 AM

That is great news.

#16 GTX63

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:06 AM

Keep on truckin....

#17 wtr100

• 4,621 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:06 AM

EXCELLENT NEWS
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning

ISRA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
NRA Designated Range Safety Officer
ISP Approved Concelaed Carry Instructor

#18 Bhawk99

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:27 AM

Thanks Molly for the encouraging update.

#19 GUNS&LAWYERS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:44 AM

Was there any word what the "employment opportunities" suggested on the ISP website with regard to the FCCA might be?

I can see there will be a need for paper pushers, but also regulators to check up on folks to make sure they are teaching the syllabus they proposed, not just collecting money in exchange for signatures.
"Send lawyers, guns and money...the $#!% has hit the fan."
Warren Zevon

#20 Davey

• Members
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:52 AM

How many hours does Utah and Florida classes give?

#21 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,691 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

Hmm suprises me
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks"
-Thomas Jefferson-

Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red, the white, the blue. The other ones got a rattle snake with a simple statement made, don't tread on me, is what it says and I'll take that to my grave
-Aaron Lewis-

#22 RoadyRunner

• 2,068 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

Depends on how many hours you were in the classroom but no more than 8.

Some combined FL/UT classes are not 8 hours, so they would count for less than 8.

IC Supporting member
NRA member
NRA certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Illinois Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

#23 KingWalleye

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:22 AM

Well it sure is nice to wake up to some good news on a Friday.

Thanks for the update Molly.

#24 BrowningHP

• 1,422 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:23 AM

obviously I would think utah would probably give 4... my question is whether 8 of the 16 needs to be an IL course. I'm betting that's the case...

Edited by BrowningHP, 23 August 2013 - 06:27 AM.

#25 RoadyRunner

• 2,068 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

I believe the second 8 must be Illinois specific - although it could be 2 in the classroom and 6 on the range. :D

IC Supporting member
NRA member
NRA certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Illinois Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

#26 bobapunk

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

Yes, per the FCCA, 8 hrs must be Illinois FCCA specific.

I'm going to ask a dumb question...
Can one get these Live Scan prints done today and "save" them somehow to be submitted later?

Here is a (probably outdated) list of PD's that use Live Scan: http://www2.illinois...ies11.08.10.pdf

Edited by bobapunk, 23 August 2013 - 06:40 AM.

#27 mjw45

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

What about the high school diploma requirement?
Does it have to be in a sealed envelope from the school district or will an already opened copy work?

I'm going to assume sealed envelope from the school district.

Matt
Matt Wehland
Allguntraining.com NRA Firearms Instruction
Kankakee and Will County

#28 GUNS&LAWYERS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:44 AM

Can one get these Live Scan prints done today and "save" them somehow to be submitted later?

Here is a (probably outdated) list of PD's that use Live Scan: http://www2.illinois...ies11.08.10.pdf

I asked my Sheriff's department about that and the answer I got was there isn't a "file or folder" to store or transmit the prints yet.

I'm no live scan expert, but the way I understood, there has to be a category created to file the prints into...like teachers or felons, etc. That is apparently coming, but isn't in "the system" yet.
"Send lawyers, guns and money...the $#!% has hit the fan."
Warren Zevon

#29 bobapunk

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

I believe the second 8 must be Illinois specific - although it could be 2 in the classroom and 6 on the range. :D

that might be true, as long as the 2 classroom cover "(4) all applicable State and federal laws relating to the ownership, storage, carry, and transportation of a firearm;"

#30 bobapunk

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:49 AM

I asked my Sheriff's department about that and the answer I got was there isn't a "file or folder" to store or transmit the prints yet.

I'm no live scan expert, but the way I understood, there has to be a category created to file the prints into...like teachers or felons, etc. That is apparently coming, but isn't in "the system" yet.

Can they move from one folder to another? Copy/paste? I have been printed for my career multiple times, but it was always done with ink prints...

What did your Sheriff say they charged?

Edited by bobapunk, 23 August 2013 - 06:49 AM.