Fingerprints - Cost for Live Scan

AuroraInstructor

I hope this isn't redundant, but I did some looking-into live scan and the prints are going to run either $40 or $60. If the ISP requires they be submitted only to them, the cost is about $40, but submitting also to the FBI will run $60. There isn't a lot of wiggle room in this cost, as the vendor who performs the scan has to pay a fee for each submission to the State and the Fed ($15 for state and another $16.50 for Fed). In my naivete I had hoped that there might be some great volume discounts available and we could get away with $20... Ha!

In addition, the requirements for fingerprint vendors changed this year so there is a backlog (sound familiar?) of vendors trying to comply.

So, expect a lot of people to forego the prints, save the money and wait for another 30 days....

Yep, the cost of the permit just keeps going up and up. I wonder how many low income/fixed income people will be unable to get the permit based on the cost?

I may have to help my father afford the cost so he can get his permit, being retired and on a fixed income, it isn't like you can go out and pick up an extra shift to make money. He is one of those that I think should be caring a gun, getting close to 70, triple bypass, he is no longer able to fight/defend himself like the younger days.

Yep, the cost of the permit just keeps going up and up. I wonder how many low income/fixed income people will be unable to get the permit based on the cost?

I may have to help my father afford the cost so he can get his permit, being retired and on a fixed income, it isn't like you can go out and pick up an extra shift to make money. He is one of those that I think should be caring a gun, getting close to 70, triple bypass, he is no longer able to fight/defend himself like the younger days.

Mods: If I am off topic, feel free to remove it.

I think one reason the GA wanted to block public transport ion was made to keep the fixed income and low income citizens from even trying to get a CCW.

If they filled suit over equal treatment. What would the courts do? It is simply a POLL TAX.

An equal protection lawsuit arguing that the fees create separate classes? Well, seeing as how Kwong lost in CA2 (it's constitutional to charge a "reasonable fee" to exercise s constitutional right) and Jensen filed for en banc, no matter what happens that case is gonna go to SCOTUS. That kind of case has far reaching implications. It would set a precedent so if a bunch of lower income people were to sue the state, well they'd probably win.

For the record, my local SD does live scan for $10....or free under certain conditions heh.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

honestly I don't make conspiracy claims lightly, but I don't find it far-fetched to think that they are afraid of more poor black people (i.e. the people in those neighborhoods who happen to be black). I don't think it's racist as much as it is class-ist.

we citizens need to go to war with these people at the ballot box. spread information about it and get those voters po'd about it.

honestly I don't make conspiracy claims lightly, but I don't find it far-fetched to think that they are afraid of more poor black people (i.e. the people in those neighborhoods who happen to be black). I don't think it's racist as much as it is class-ist.

we citizens need to go to war with these people at the ballot box. spread information about it and get those voters po'd about it.

Its Chicago, go ahead and call it racist. The race card might get played a lot of times it shouldn't, but we've a long history of overt racism in this town.

An equal protection lawsuit arguing that the fees create separate classes? Well, seeing as how Kwong lost in CA2 (it's constitutional to charge a "reasonable fee" to exercise s constitutional right) and Jensen filed for en banc, no matter what happens that case is gonna go to SCOTUS. That kind of case has far reaching implications. It would set a precedent so if a bunch of lower income people were to sue the state, well they'd probably win.

For the record, my local SD does live scan for $10....or free under certain conditions heh.

I am not disagreeing with you, however...

The Federal Gov't is suing the state of Texas over this very thing right now. They are claiming that Texas's voter ID law is discriminatory against poor and minorities because of the cost/effort involved in getting a state issued ID.

The Left's views on voter ID, Medical Marijuana, College costs, health care are all 100% contradictory to their views on the Second Amendment...

The thing is that I'm sure the State of Texas would be more than happy to issue ID cards for free to those who cannot afford to get one. I wonder how many people in Texas have no form of state produced identification, as in a DL or state ID. Probably very few as a percentage of the population. If Texas isn't offering free state IDs to indigent citizens then it should, providing they can display financial hardship. On the other hand, charging someone $340 for the right to own a gun in NYC and everywhere else in NYS it's $3-10 for a pistol permit is problematic. That's like Chicago's CFP. If you live in New York City then the "reasonable fee" is $340. If you live in Buffalo, the "reasonable fee" is $10 (just tossing out the max cost I have no idea how much a pistol permit costs there). Problem there. It's like $20 to get a state ID here, maybe more I have no idea but I believe there's a mechanism in place to issue free IDs to several different groups of people. The elderly, disabled, and homeless. I couldn't care less if they expand it to those who can display financial hardship because it's just a bad idea to not have a form of valid identification if you have a run in with the police. On the other hand, it'll be $150 permit fee app, $whatever for Live Scan prints, and another who knows how much for training. The state's attitude is "if you can't afford it, oh well." There's nothing in the law for disabled veterans, etc.

The thing is that I'm sure the State of Texas would be more than happy to issue ID cards for free to those who cannot afford to get one. I wonder how many people in Texas have no form of state produced identification, as in a DL or state ID. Probably very few as a percentage of the population. If Texas isn't offering free state IDs to indigent citizens then it should, providing they can display financial hardship. On the other hand, charging someone $340 for the right to own a gun in NYC and everywhere else in NYS it's $3-10 for a pistol permit is problematic. That's like Chicago's CFP. If you live in New York City then the "reasonable fee" is $340. If you live in Buffalo, the "reasonable fee" is $10 (just tossing out the max cost I have no idea how much a pistol permit costs there). Problem there. It's like $20 to get a state ID here, maybe more I have no idea but I believe there's a mechanism in place to issue free IDs to several different groups of people. The elderly, disabled, and homeless. I couldn't care less if they expand it to those who can display financial hardship because it's just a bad idea to not have a form of valid identification if you have a run in with the police. On the other hand, it'll be $150 permit fee app, $whatever for Live Scan prints, and another who knows how much for training. The state's attitude is "if you can't afford it, oh well." There's nothing in the law for disabled veterans, etc.

It seems to me there are a lot of issues with the new FCCA that we all object to and many of them will probably end up in court before it's over.

I think this is what Todd, Molly, and the others were talking about when they said we would improve on this as we went along. Getting the law on the books was the big victory and we can now start using the ILGA and the courts to change those things we don't like or that are blatantly unconstitutional.

I think many of these things will change over time, and maybe not that long of a time either. With the games the state has been playing with the appellate court they already have the 7th down on them so anything we end up taking there is going to be scrutinized for constitutionality very closely by that court I would suspect.

In the long run I suspect the state has shot itself in the foot over this whole issue and don't expect much will be allowed to slip by once these issues make it to court. I expect a flurry of court cases in the near future regarding some of these issues, once we get past the current appeal etc.

This fight isn't over by a long shot but right now we have the upper hand I believe.

Now let the naysayers have at me, I can take it. :super: :laugh:

That was my entire point of pointing out the left's hypocrisy. They seem to think that the Gov't should provide everything to everyone, as long as it does not pertain the 2A. 2A freedoms must be taxed and fee'd up to the point where many can't afford to exercise their Constitutional rights...

BTW, this outfit travels all over the state and offers Live Scan prints for $50...

http://www.accurateb...s.com/index.asp

ETA:

From their website:

Coming January 2014 - Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry License

We will be providing the fingerprint requirement.

Stop back often to monitor program developments or sign up below to receive email updates about the Concealed Carry License.

Accurate Biometrics will make available its current list of over 60 fingerprint locations throughout Illinois to ICC applicants seeking to fulfill the fingerprint requirement. As the leading fingerprint collection and transmission network in the State, we are in close communication with the Illinois State Police monitoring the implementation of the ICC rules and regulations.

http://www.accuratebiometrics.com/fingerprinting_illinois_concealed_carry.html

I know this is being discussed in a couple of other threads too but I thought I'd put it here also.

Sheriff's depts, and other law enforcement agencies, with live scan capabilities can now offer there services as a vendor. The law was recently changed to correct what was passed in Feb.

Public Act 098-0294

SB1853 Enrolled LRB098 08596 MGM 38713 b AN ACT concerning regulation.

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois, represented in the General Assembly:

Section 5. The Private Detective, Private Alarm, Private Security, Fingerprint Vendor, and Locksmith Act of 2004 is amended by changing Section 31-5 as follows:

(225 ILCS 447/31-5) (Section scheduled to be repealed on January 1, 2014) Sec. 31-5. Exemptions. The provisions of this Act regarding fingerprint vendors do not apply to any of the following, if the person performing the service does not hold himself or herself out as a fingerprint vendor or fingerprint vendor agency: (1) An employee of the United States, Illinois, or a political subdivision, including public school districts, of either while the employee is engaged in the performance of his or her official duties within the scope of his or her employment. However, any such person who offers his or her services as a fingerprint vendor or uses a similar title when these services are performed for compensation or other consideration, whether received directly or indirectly, is subject to this Act. (2) A person employed exclusively by only one employer in connection with the exclusive activities of that employer, provided that person does not hold himself or herself out to the public as a fingerprint vendor. (3) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this Act, any member of local law enforcement in the performance of his or her duties. Nothing in this Act shall prohibit local law enforcement agencies from charging a reasonable fee related to the cost of offering fingerprinting services. (Source: P.A. 95-613, eff. 9-11-07.)

Section 99. Effective date. This Act takes effect upon becoming law.

That's great info Cshipley92.

I am waiting to hear back from the Kankakee Sheriff's dept about prints for CCW Permits/instructors.

I was concerned about them not being able to charge for the prints without becoming a vendor, due to the prior legislation.

Matt

You're welcome.

I'd actually called the local sheriff here, I know him personally, and was hoping maybe they'd be able to offer the service free on a limited basis or something and he's the one that told me about the change in the law.

They currently charge a small fee to the local school district but said that the demand for prints had jumped lately for that and other applications and they're thinking of raising the fee to offset cost. He wasn't sure how much it would be in the long run but he said he wasn't going to force the citizens in his county to go elsewhere for prints for CCW.

If you apply in person, Florida performs a live scan for $5 at any sheriff's station. You then apply on line for an FBI background check, which costs $35. The prints are retained in their system for up to 30 days (60?), and transmitted to the FBI when you submit your application and payment. It sounds like Illinois will do something on the same order. You then have 60 days to complete a training course and submit a notarized application for the actual CC license.

Accurate Biometrics has an office set up at Carl Sandburg College. It's not always staffed though. I think they bring in a machine and staff for handling Live Scan for nursing students when they have to submit prints to the IDFPR. Pretty sure they can't do their clinicals without a background. Ironically that's where I took my Utah class heh.

And for the far side of CHIRAQ here is a location only 3 minutes off 80-294 exit mile post 3 south

Accurate Biometrics, Inc.

Address: 1055 175th St #106, Homewood, IL 60430

•  

Phone:(866) 361-9944

Hours: Monday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Tuesday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Wednesday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Thursday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Saturday Closed Sunday Closed

Its Chicago, go ahead and call it racist. The race card might get played a lot of times it shouldn't, but we've a long history of overt racism in this town.

Outside the suburbs in the city, we have control, but what the heck, in the suburbs, there are... you go out to all around our suburbs and you've got people out there, especially the non-white, are buying guns right and left. Shotguns and rifles and pistols and everything else. There's no registration...

Mayor Richard J. Daley in a conversation with President Johnson, 1966

This forum really cracks me up. Come on. You all are reading way too much into this conceal carry stuff. There is nothing in the law about submitting a curriculum. All you have to do is prove you are a valid instructor. Also if you want to submit a curriculum it only has to meet the requirements of the law. As long as your changes stay within the law who cares. Everybody needs to calm down about this procedure and just go easy. Here is what I predict to take place.

State patrol issues app for instructors on website.

Instructors fill it out and print it.

Instructors get a photo the size of a FOID card, (Just in case they require it)

Instructors get a photocopies of their stuff to submit with their app's

Have your curriculum ready, if you want.

Get in your car and drive to Springfield to the ISP

Get out of your car.

Walk it all in and turn it in.

Get fingerprinted by the ISP

Submit any fees that are required

After your done drive home and wait

Check on the ISP site on a regular base to look for your name

Once your name is on there START TEACHING.....

I can not see it being anymore than this. People are really reading way too much into this process. Look at other states and how they do it. Illinois cant be that much different.

Archived