Photo

B27 targets

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 C0untZer0

• Supporting Members Team
  • 8,329 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

A B27 target to me means a black silhouette with four concentric white lines / ovals - with designations of the rings - 7,8,9 and X in white.

But Googling it shows a bunch of different targets called B27 - some with blaze orange centers (NCJA and RC)

I am also wondering if a hit for IL carry quals means breaking the 7 ring or just hitting the silhouette (just curious)

I mostly practice bullseye shooting but I'm ordering a bunch of B-27s to practice with now...
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

#2 RockerXX

• Members
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

The new bill does not specify what is a hit, so that is up to your instructor...

You can get green silhouette B-27 at Walmart, as for practice you won't need much to hit it at the specified distances and percentage unless you are a down right horrible shot...

Attached Thumbnails

• b27_2.jpg

Edited by RockerXX, 31 May 2013 - 10:16 PM.

What weighs six ounces, sits in a tree and is very dangerous?
A sparrow with a machine gun!

#3 C0untZer0

• 8,329 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

Without accepting the definition of some governing body (like the NRA) of what a B27 target is - there is a whole lot of stuff out there called B27 - including targets that are not 45"

I think it's odd too that they would specify what is essentially a 50 yard target for 5, 7 and 10 yard qualification.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

#4 cm.stites

• Members
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

http://www.midwayusa...-package-of-100 that is the "nra" b-27

#5 johnsxdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

Count, DO NOT ORDER A BUNCH ! I normally shoot at 5 1/2" bullseye targets at 25 to 50 feet. After you see a B-27 hanging out there at 7 or 10 yards you will want to do some kind of trick shooting just to make it interesting. When I did the shooting qualification for my FL., it was 50 shots at 7 yards. When I was done there was a 3" hole in the target where the X was. If you ever go up to Article 2, I'll bring you some if you want.

#6 cm.stites

• Members
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

Count, DO NOT ORDER A BUNCH ! I normally shoot at 5 1/2" bullseye targets at 25 to 50 feet. After you see a B-27 hanging out there at 7 or 10 yards you will want to do some kind of trick shooting just to make it interesting. When I did the shooting qualification for my FL., it was 50 shots at 7 yards. When I was done there was a 3" hole in the target where the X was. If you ever go up to Article 2, I'll bring you some if you want.

paper plate works good also :)

#7 C0untZer0

• 8,329 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

I'm not going to fail to qualify but I'm going to be unhappy if I don't get bulls with all 30 shots - and the only thing that would mess me up is not being able to see the X or not being used to that kind of target.

What I practice with a lot are 12" x 24" colored paper that I get at Hobby Lobby and I stick 9 or 10 white pasties on each sheet and usually practice at 10 yards.

But anyway, I just want to get used to the B27s

I'm kind of a perfectionists or maybe obsessive... I want to know exactly how many feet my target is out, if I'm just sort of trying to line the target up with a line on one of the walls or a line on the floor - it just bugs the crap out of me and all of the digital target movers at Article II are busted and I think they told me that they ran $700 - 900 a piece so they weren't going to replace them...
- C. S. Lewis

#8 mack69

"The surely one"

• 4,236 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

I like to shoot at index cards...
"The defense of our liberties is first at the ballot box, then the soap box, then the jury box and finally, failing all else, the cartridge box"
"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-- George Orwell

#9 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

Heh 997 in its original form called for B-21s. Those things are MASSIVE. like 24"x45" think about that if you think 27s are big heh. I bought some a couple yrs ago from my FFL, they were folded up in a box holy crap and they're for 50 yard competition. B-27s, just get the B-27Es if you wanna play safe. They're a little smaller than B-27s, 22.5"x35"...or paper plates/index cards, cans of skunky beer, whatever. I had about 18 cans left over from a case of 2 yr old beer that I set up can by can and made em explode heh but I made my own little rig, didn't just set them up on top of the boards.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#10 sirflyguy

• 1,576 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

The new bill does not specify what is a hit, so that is up to your instructor...

i am gonna call "in the black" (or whatever color the thing is) good.

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

NRA-Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor 

NRA-Certified Range Safety Officer

IL FCCA Approved Instructor

#11 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 10,917 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

i am gonna call "in the black" (or whatever color the thing is) good.

That us the interpretation I've heard. Anything hitting the target counts as a hit.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#12 patriot1776

• Members
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

Go to the dollar store, Aldi, Walmart etc. and get cheap white paper plates . If you can hit at 30 feet you are good to go .

#13 Grey Beret

• Banned
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

When I qualified for the DNR P.I. course we only used 8 1/2 X 14 legal pad pages. Any hit that hit the yellow counted.

#14 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

Crap B-27FSAs at Walmart are 24"x45". The B-21s I bought were A LOT bigger. Like 3 feet wide by 5' tall.

NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#15 sirflyguy

• 1,576 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

You can get green silhouette B-27 at Walmart, as for practice you won't need much to hit it at the specified distances and percentage unless you are a down right horrible shot...

Are these the ones that are listed online at Walmart's site for $19.99? That is $2.00 a target.

#16 C0untZer0

• 8,329 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

I ordered some from National Target Company , a lot less than 2 bucks per target, about 50 cents each when you figure in shipping.

http://www.nationalt...ategory_Code=PP
- C. S. Lewis

#17 sirflyguy

• 1,576 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

i just ordered from Amazon. If you sign up for their free trial of Amazon Prime for a month, you get free shipping. $45.09 per 100. I bought two packs.
http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I looked at Midway, and they were around $35.00 per 100, but shipping was $15.00. I saved $5.00 at least.

Edited by sirflyguy, 01 June 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#18 pdpsc

• 2,139 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

i just ordered from Amazon. If you sign up for their free trial of Amazon Prime for a month, you get free shipping. $45.09 per 100. I bought two packs.
http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I looked at Midway, and they were around $35.00 per 100, but shipping was $15.00. I saved $5.00 at least.

I get mine from Amazon. They will arrive rolled up in a cardboard box that will be very poorly taped at the seems. I have a tape gun loaded with packing tape and just spend a few minutes taping each box bottom again. Annoying, but an easy fix.
Firearms Instructor - Metro Training Group Facebook
FFL Dealer/Gunsmith - Metro Armory Facebook
ISP Certified Firearm Concealed Carry License Instructor #1
Armorer - Glock, Smith & Wesson (M&P Pistol & M&P15 Rifle) & Springfield Armory (XD/XDm & M1911)
NRA Endowment-Life Member
ISRA Life Member

#19 RockerXX

• Members
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:20 PM

Crap B-27FSAs at Walmart are 24"x45". The B-21s I bought were A LOT bigger. Like 3 feet wide by 5' tall.

Look at the actual silhouette size, not the paper size... B27 is the designation for the silhouette shape/profile and size but more importantly the scoring ring size... Also note some are cut off at the 'belly' while others extend into the leg area, this is all outside the 'official' scoring area so it's just extra paper... Unlike the good carry bill the new one does not specify what is a hit on the target and what is not, that will likely be up to whoever is signing off on your certification...

At the end of the day, if you can hit a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 paper at those distances you will be golden regardless of the target...

Are these the ones that are listed online at Walmart's site for $19.99? That is $2.00 a target.

Only $9.97 at my Walmart for 10, as seen in the picture...

Edited by RockerXX, 01 June 2013 - 09:20 PM.

What weighs six ounces, sits in a tree and is very dangerous?
A sparrow with a machine gun!

#20 cshipley92

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

The local Dunhams Sports doesn't carry the B27 so I mentioned the fact they were the "official" target to be used for qualifying. The manager said he'd contact his bosses and let them know they might want to stock up on them.

No, you don't HAVE to have them to practice on but many people will want them.
Frederick Douglas "A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box."

#21 skinnyb82

• Members
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

Just get some of those cheap rimfire targets if you can hit those then don't worry about B-27s. Or paper plates. A while back before all of this, I was hitting B-27s from 25 yds with 100% accuracy (not center mass but good enough) with my G22 that I hated (and it hated me) so....yeah.

NRA Member
SAF Member
C&R License Holder

#22 bob

• Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

it does not say so i would make an argument that merely hitting the paper counts.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

The opinions expressed by this poster do not reflect the official stance of Illinois Carry. Apparently there was some confusion on the part of at least one person that it does, and I want to make things clear that my opinion is my own and that whatever the official stance of IC is or is not at present, it may or may not reflect my own opinion.

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

#23 RacerDave6

• 2,627 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

Pistoleer, a IL company carries them for $37/100
http://www.pistoleer...ets/silhouette/
Firearms are not a talisman against evil. When used properly, they are an antidote to evil. T.Dunn

"Shoot the bad guy and keep shooting him until he stops doing whatever it
was that got him shot in the first place."

Match Director-IDPA at ASC
United States Riflemans Asscn instructor
NRA Certified instructor
NRA & ISRA member
Illinois Firearm Concealed Carry License instructor

#24 wtr100

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

odd question why is the walmart version green - preping for Mars invasion ..?

somebody's brother in law own a green ink factory?

Edited by wtr100, 03 June 2013 - 10:08 AM.

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning

ISRA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun
NRA Designated Range Safety Officer
ISP Approved Concelaed Carry Instructor

#25 pdpsc

• 2,139 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

Believe it or not, one reason is that green is considered politically correct. Some people get upset when you shoot black silhouettes...
Armorer - Glock, Smith & Wesson (M&P Pistol & M&P15 Rifle) & Springfield Armory (XD/XDm & M1911)
ISRA Life Member

#26 Hatchet

• 2,182 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

I think Rinks sell them for 25cents a piece.
"Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

#27 cgs

Help me get my FFL, Click my Profile for more info!

• Members
  • 6,128 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

I have a slew of my own targets made up and they are all way tougher than the b27. I doubt I'll have a problem qualifying.
-Thomas

Member, ISRA; Life Member, NRA; NRA Certified Instructor, AGI Certified Gunsmith, Illinois Carry Conceal Instructor

http://www.chicagogunsmith.com

http://www.firearmtrainingchicago.com

#28 wtr100

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

Believe it or not, one reason is that green is considered politically correct. Some people get upset when you shoot black silhouettes...

seriouly? where is that face palm when I need it so I guess red ones would be totally off the reservation ...

Edited by wtr100, 03 June 2013 - 11:08 AM.

Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning

ISRA Life Member
NRA Life Member

#29 pdpsc

• 2,139 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

The NRA has gone so far as to make targets that have little resemblance to a human, because they don't want the media to see people being trained to shoot lifelike facsimiles of people...
ISRA Life Member

#30 wtr100

• Members
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

The NRA has gone so far as to make targets that have little resemblance to a human, because they don't want the media to see people being trained to shoot lifelike facsimiles of people...

B-27 is NRA - but theoretically LEO only

they're comming around a but - the Bianchi Tombstone the 5 color NDM target for example

ISRA Life Member
NRA Life Member