Ammo Shortage and Alert Thread

tom28

Hello all! So I'm new to his forum and gun ownership in Chicago. It took 6 long months for me to finally own a sig P938 legally. Some of that was time was procrastination.

So I've been to few stores and everywhere is out of 9mm defensive ammo. All the online places seem to be few weeks behind in filling orders. Any of you guys know a chicagoland store that won't charge me an arm and leg for ammo and has it in stock?

You have to travel back into the past - to around August or September.

Walmart ammo shelf - going going gone!

post-3474-0-01828200-1356974597_thumb.jpg

Impossible! According to the Oswego Walmart manager, there is no market for guns in the area. There must be some dishonest shelve stockers.

Its 2008/2009 all over again. I predict you will not see ammo until the summer, unless you work very hard at it. You'll eventually figure out a pattern, and take no prisoners when you do find ammo. You have to be there first, because as soon as someone else is there, they'll buy their limit, and tell their friends. At that point, you'll be contending with all the friends of store employees, and internet forum members throughout the state.

Welcome to the site Tom. It was an ammo shortage that brought me here too - hopefully you'll stick around for the fight.

Tom28, I don't know how far you are willing to drive. Blanes Farm and Fleet in Woodstock usually carries some. Also try Marengo Guns in Marengo. Marengo Guns also has a web site, so you can order on line and pick up in the store a few days later.

I might have to make a day to drive around to find ammo.

I was at article II and they were charging $24 for 9mm american eagle FMJ :no: . didn't even bother asking how much JHP where.

If you want to make a day of it.....I suggest Cabellas - Hoffman Estates.....then to GAT Guns - Dundee......then to RGuns - Caprentersville

All three are within 10 minutes of each other. All three are very different in size, selection, and pricing.

You have to travel back into the past - to around August or September.

Walmart ammo shelf - going going gone!

post-3474-0-01828200-1356974597_thumb.jpg

Impossible! According to the Oswego Walmart manager, there is no market for guns in the area. There must be some dishonest shelve stockers.

Its 2008/2009 all over again. I predict you will not see ammo until the summer, unless you work very hard at it. You'll eventually figure out a pattern, and take no prisoners when you do find ammo. You have to be there first, because as soon as someone else is there, they'll buy their limit, and tell their friends. At that point, you'll be contending with all the friends of store employees, and internet forum members throughout the state.

Welcome to the site Tom. It was an ammo shortage that brought me here too - hopefully you'll stick around for the fight.

Thanks, definitely going to stick around. I loved hearing the courts decision that Illinois ban was unconstitutional. That's what made me decide to get a small single stack 9mm so I could carry around. I was going to get a springfield armory 1911 .45 for home defense. Now that I see .45 ammo around I kind of regret getting the sig. But it shoots like a dream, I just need to find AMMO!

I saw a picture that someone posted yesterday of the Walmart ammo shelves that showed on .40 S&W and some .22LR, I couldn't find that one though.

I have to admit that the picture I posted was of a Walmart shelf for 2009. :whistle:

But I'm going to go to Walmart today and take a picture of thier ammo self and post it later :)

What area of chicagoland are you in Tom? The Walmarts I am speaking of are in southwestern Dupage county

I'm in the heart of the city. 10 min drive from downtown. I'm will to drive out to find ammo though. I have such a pretty gun but no ammo to shoot it. I've already broken in the gun with 9mm fmj. I just need a few hundred round of defensive ammo so I know it'll feed reliably .

Mega Sports is pretty well stocked. I thought the prices were high until I just read that Article II is charging $24 for Federal 115gr! I think its about $16/box for that at Mega Sports. They had a package deal over the weekend with two 50rnd boxes of 124gr 9mm American Eagle Ammo with a box of 20rnd, 124gr Hydra Shock JHP for home defense for $52. I grabbed it to break in the new glock Santa got me!

It's getting pretty slim pickings out there for ammo right now. In the last 2 days I've been everywhere in DuPage, Kane and McHenry Counties as well as Cabelas, and I can find NO .223/5.56 55 gr, 9mm 115 gr. or 30-06 150 gr for M! Garands which is what I buy except a few stray boxes here and there for very high prices. I've tried Walmarts and gun stores, hard to find anything right now.

I can't even find 22 lr at either of my nearest walmarts, let alone .223 or 9mm. We finally got a snow and I wanted to do some coyote hunting, and can't find any damn ammo. Yrs ago I sold my 22-250 because ammo was expensive and scarce in my parts and switched to 223 because of availabilty. Now 22-250 is the only rifle round I can find LOL live and learn I guess.

Archived