Illinois General Assembly 3/5/2013

mauserme

Sorry for the delay posting this - the forum was down.

When we last met on 3/1/2013, SB50 Hunting Licenses for Veterans passed on a vote of 53/0/0 and has been sent to the House for it's consideration. It is currently in Rules.

Eight Amendments have been filed on HB1156, seven of them proposing to ban commonly owned firearms and accessories, require locked storage, and registration.

The House and Senate are both scheduled for 12:00 Noon

As with last Tuesday, weather forecasters and political pundits alike predict that a major snow job will blanket Illinois today.

House Calendar

12:00 Noon

House Audio/Video Link

HB997 Concealed Carry-Firearms

Support (see individual amendments)

House Sponsor: Phelps, Sullivan, Beiser, Costello, Verschoore, Cloonen, Unes, Smiddy, Bradley, Scherer, Hammond, Tracy, Harms, Halbrook, Cabello, Jackson, Bost, Reis, Rosenthal, Osmond, Chapa LaVia, Cavaletto, Vrown, Demmer, Sosnowski, Kay, Leitch, Sommer, Sacia, Pritchard, Roth, Morrison, Hays, Meier, Davidsmeyer, Mitchell, Sandack, Poe, Brauer, Moffitt, Ives, Wheeler, McSweeney, Senger, Reboletti, Tryon, Brady, Harris

Synopsis As Introduced

Creates the Family and Personal Protection Act. Provides that the Department of State Police shall issue a license to a person to: (1) carry a loaded or unloaded handgun on or about his or her person, concealed or otherwise; (2) keep or carry a loaded or unloaded handgun on or about his or her person when in a vehicle; and (3) keep a loaded or unloaded handgun openly or concealed in a vehicle. Prohibits the carrying of the handgun in certain locations. Provides that the license shall be issued by the Department of State Police within 30 days of receipt of a completed application and shall be valid throughout the State for a period of 5 years from the date of issuance. Provides for renewal of licenses. Establishes qualifications for licensees, certified firearms instructors, and instructor trainers. Provides for home rule preemption. Provides that the provisions of the Act are severable. Amends the Freedom of Information Act. Prohibits from inspection and copying information about applications for licenses to carry a handgun and about license holders contained in the database created by the Family and Personal Protection Act, except as authorized by that Act. Amends the State Finance Act and the Criminal Code of 2012 to make conforming changes. Effective immediately.

House Amendment 1 - Currie - Establishes "gun free" zones (state government) - Oppose

House Amendment 2 - Zalewski[/color - Esablishes "gun free" zones (restaurants) - Oppose

House Amendment 3 - Jakobsson - Establishes "gun free" zones (colleges) - Oppose

House Amendment 4 - Zalewski - Increased Penalties - Oppose

House Amendment 5 - Currie - "influence of any illegal drugs or hallucinogenic drugs or alcohol.".

House Amendment 6 - Zalewski - Requires firearms to be broken down while transporting in a vehicle - Oppose

House Amendment 7 - Currie - 40 hour training requirement at ISP run facility - Oppose

House Amendment 8 - Lang - Allows counties and municipalites to enact greater restrictions - Oppose

HB1155 Criminal Law-Tech

Neutral (see individual amendments)

House Sponsor: Madigan

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning the unlawful use of weapons.

House Amendment 1 - Phelps - Names the Act - Support

House Amendment 2 - Zalewski - Establishes "gun free" zones (schools) - Oppose

House Amendment 3 - Burke[/color - Esablishes "gun free" zones (day care) - Oppose

House Amendment 4 - Currie - Establishes "gun free" zones (state government) - Oppose

House Amendment 5 - Lang - Establishes "gun free" zones (gaming) - Oppose

House Amendment 6 - Jakobsson - Establishes "gun free" zones (health care) - Oppose

House Amendment 7 - Lang - Establishes "gun free" zones (libraries) - Oppose

House Amendment 8 - Feigenholtz - Establishes "gun free" zones (arenas) - Oppose

House Amendment 9 - Cassidy - Establishes "gun free" zones (amusement parks) - Oppose

House Amendment 14 - Mell - Establishes "gun free" zones (public transportation) - Oppose

House Amendment 27 - Phelps - HB997 language - Support

HB1156 Criminal Law-Tech

Neutral (see individual amendments)

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning exemptions from the statutes concerning unlawful use of weapons and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.

House Amendment 1 - Acevedo - Creates the Illinois Assaut Weapons Act - Oppose (Adopted)

House Amendment 2 - Acevedo - Bans common firearms - Oppose (Adopted 52/14/0)

House Amendment 3 - Sims - Bans common firearms - Oppose (Adopted 54/13/0)

House Amendment 4 - Currie - Bans common firearms - Oppose (Adopted 53/15/0)

House Amendment 5 - Zalewski - Magazine ban - Oppose (Adopted 57/11/0)

House Amendment 6 - Cassidy - Locked storage required - Oppose (Adopted 58/10/0)

House Amendment 7 - Currie - Registration - Oppose (Withdrawn)

House Amendment 8 - Phelps - Preemption - Support (Withdrawn)

HB1157 Criminal Law-Tech

Neutral

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Criminal Code of 2012. Makes a technical change in a Section concerning exemptions from the statutes concerning unlawful use of weapons and aggravated unlawful use of a weapon.

Next Days Scheduled

House: 3/6/2013

Senate: 3/6/2013

House Calendar 3-5-2013.pdf

Would love a live stream link if someone has it or can tell me where to get it so I can post it...

There is a better live feed than the one on ILGA, the link comes up on my facebook a few hours before it starts today. I will post the link when i get it.

So could HB997, and HB 1155 go to 3rd reading after today?

OK im sorry about 1 of them, dont we usually keep our guns in a gun cabnit?

And how do you propose they enforce the law? Just come in and inspect your "cabinet"? Many people keep one, or more, firearms accessible in the home, in safe locations. How will the new laws impact them? Securing your weapons is literally "common sense" (god, the liberals have completely ruined that phrase for me), but to put laws and restrictions and specifics on it is completely an invasion of ones privacy.

I mean really and truly, I almost always keep mine in a locked storage. I store them in my home and I always lock my doors.

With the possible exception of a bow and arrow bill in committee (not Uncle Harley's), there is nothing of interest on the Senate Calendar today.

Senate Calendar 3-5-2013.pdf

SB 1538? that is the complimentary bill to my bill in the senate. The guy that has been helping me push mine, got his rep to write another version in the senate. DNR tried tricking my friend, ( he's 70 yrs young) and conned him into selling out on this bill, but after talking to me some more, my friend has decided to try to get this pushed through.)

I know there are a fair number of hunters here on IC. If you read the amendments, DNR is now participating in the gun ban show. They have rule makg authority over what guns are banned, they have been consulting the State Plice over the language of the bill.

So DNR has decided to become political, and be part of the gun ban agenda. Many of us need them for our hunting licenses. But we don't have to support them for anything else.

I received this email today about this it has some good contact info hope it’s ok to post.

Rick:

"I don't believe the framers thought they were talking about assault weapons, I think they were talking about muskets." so says Rep. Andre Thapedi.

Make no mistake gun-grabbing representatives like Andre Thapedi won't rest until they strip you of your constitutional rights and House Bill 132 does just that.

This "Assault Weapon Ban", House Bill 132, will be up before the House Judiciary Committee again this Wednesday at 8 am in RM C-1 Stratton Building.

Anti-gun committee hearings on this and other gun-grabbing legislation will continue throughout the week.

Click here to contact ALL of the House Judiciary Committee members.

Urge them to oppose all new anti-gun legislation including HB-132 and to support a clean concealed carry bill!

Then when you are done, contact your State Representative at (217) 782-5350 and insist they do the same. -- Dudley

From: Dudley Brown [mailto:dudley.brown@nationalgunrights.org]

Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:24 PM

Subject: A Dangerous Decoy...

http://nagr.org/Images/NAGR_email.gif

Dear Fellow Patriot:

The Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals rightfully ruled the Illinois ban on concealed carry is unconstitutional.

So, you might think Governor Quinn, Rahm Emanuel, and the big city gun-grabbers would be disappointed.

You may even think that relief is finally on the way for law-abiding gun owners.

Please. Don’t make that mistake.

The sad truth is, elitist lawmakers are perched in Springfield loaded with plenty of anti-gun comebacks.

While the court ruling is an opportunity for gun owners in Illinois, there’s work to be done first.

And it starts this week.

You see, your Second Amendment rights are under assault again!

Recently, Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy was caught saying that your right to keep and bear arms is “dangerous” and that he believes the second amendment limits citizens to "smooth-bore muskets."

Unfortunately, many in the ruling class believe as McCarthy does. The political powers that be in Illinois are firmly entrenched in decades of anti-gun groupthink.

Beginning today, many of them will be gathering in the Illinois House Judiciary Committee to discuss dozens of anti-gun bills… and Concealed Carry.

Committee hearings are scheduled to continue tomorrow and Friday.

And the radical left is hoping to use the anti-gun climate, fueled by recent tragedies, to push as much gun control as they can get away with.

The truth is, Governor Quinn, Rahm Emanuel, and elitist legislative leaders aren’t disappointed at all.

They think the courts handed them a blank check to enact more rigorous infringements on your Second Amendment rights.

If gun owners like you don’t turn up the heat, Illinois could end up with MORE gun control along with new concealed carry bill -- not less.

We’re talking proposals like:

Taxes, fees, and surcharges
so expensive that only the wealthiest could afford one, and restrict the right to only the politically connected;

The requirement to demonstrate “good cause” or “need” for a permit, or to prove to the government that you are “suitable” enough to excessive your rights
;

Optional permit issuance
-- which would give a sheriff or issuing authority the ability to deny you your right to carry for any reason whatsoever, (
i.e. skin color, political beliefs
) with a sham appeals process, and;

Government-mandated training requirements that would force you to shoot like an Olympian
, and pay another massive fee in order to take an eight hour -- or longer -- class... annually.
On top of that, the legislature is also considering:

HB-132 -- A massive new so-called “assault weapons” ban!

It would:

Outlaw possession, delivery, sale, and purchase of semi-automatic firearms, attachments, .50 caliber rifles, and .50 caliber cartridges
;

(This includes rifles AND pistols as well as virtually any accessory;)

*** Ban the possession of magazines that can hold
more than 10 rounds
of ammunition;

Force the complete registration and/or confiscation of thousands of lawfully-owned firearms within 60 days
;

*** Strip you of your Second Amendment rights for being the victim of firearms theft if you fail to report it within 72 hours, and;

Fine you $25,000 and throw you in jail for one, three, or even seven years for even the slightest violations
Other bills would:

*** Impose additional restrictions on the already burdensome and unconstitutional Firearm Owner’s Identification Card (FOID);

*** Impose a universal firearms registration scheme through the use of background checks, and;

*** Invade your private health records in an effort to label you “mentally ill” and take away your gun rights.
The quandary of relying on the judicial system is that even when the ruling is good, they often open up the floodgates for something even worse.

But you and I know that these restrictions are anything but “reasonable.”

They're just a part of a backdoor scam to impose yet another de facto repeal of the Second Amendment in Chicago and throughout the entire state.

That’s why your action is needed now more than ever.

Please do the following two things... right now!

1.)
Contact the House Judiciary Committee members. Urge them to pass a clean “Constitutional Carry” bill with absolutely no burdensome regulations attached
Rep. Elaine Nekritz (D)

(217) 558-1004

ChairNekritz@gmail.com Rep. Ann Williams (D)

(217) 782-2458

ann@repannwilliams.com Rep. Dennis M. Reboletti ®

(217) 782-4014

RepReboletti@gmail.com Rep. John E. Bradley (D)

(217) 782-1051

repjohnbradley@mychoice.net Rep. Scott Drury (D)

(217) 782-0902

repdrury@gmail.com Rep. Jim Durkin ®

(217) 782-0494

repdurkin@hotmail.com Rep. Jay Hoffman (D)

(217) 782-0104

repjayhoffman@gmail.com Rep. Dwight Kay ®

(217) 782-8018

dwightkay112@gmail.com Rep. Jim Sacia ®

(217) 782-8186

JimSacia@aeroinc.net Rep. Ron Sandack ®

(217) 782-6578

repsandack@gmail.com Rep. Elgie R. Sims, Jr. (D)

(217) 782-6476

Repsims34@gmail.com Rep. André M. Thapedi (D)

(217) 782-1702

rep32district@gmail.com Rep. Jil Tracy ®

(217) 782-8096

jiltracy@jiltracy.com Rep. Arthur Turner (D)

(217) 782-8116 Rep. Emanuel Chris Welch (D)

(217) 782-8120

repwelch@emanuelchriswelch.com Rep. Michael Zalewski (D)

(217) 782-5280

repzalewski@gmail.com

2.)
Call your State Representative at (217) 782-5350

(
to find out who represents you
.)

Demand they reject all anti-gun proposals including so-called “assault weapons” bans, magazine bans, mental health labeling scams, and universal gun registration and background checks.
Make no mistake. Anti-gun lawmakers will use concealed carry as a very dangerous decoy... unless YOU speak up.

That’s why YOUR action is so crucial.

Contact your elected officials and tell them to OPPOSE all anti-gun legislation and support a clean Constitutional Carry bill today.

Please act now!

For Freedom,

http://nationalgunrights.org/images/DWBsigBlue.jpg

Dudley Brown

Executive Vice President

P.S. Governor Quinn, Rahm Emanuel, and the Chicago gun-grabbers are ecstatic.

They think they’ve been handed a blank check to plunder your Second Amendment rights once and for all.

But they’ve underestimated YOU. Committee hearings start this week.

Will you help me stop the anti-gun legislation and fight for a clean “Constitutional Carry” bill with absolutely no burdensome regulations attached?

Please contact the House Judiciary Committee members and YOUR state lawmakers at (217) 782-5350 today.

Click here to find out who represents you.

Also, please consider chipping in $10 or $20 to help the National Association for Gun Rights keep up the fight for pro-gun legislation and against anti-gun schemes in Springfield and Washington.

The National Association for Gun Rights is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, single-purpose citizens' organization dedicated to preserving and protecting the Constitutionally protected right-to-keep-and-bear-arms through an aggressive program designed to mobilize public opposition to anti-gun legislation. The National Association for Gun Rights' mailing address is P.O. Box 7002, Fredericksburg, VA 22404. They can be contacted toll-free at 1-877-405-4570. Its web address is
www.NationalGunRights.org

Not produced or e-mailed at taxpayer expense.

To help the National Association for Gun Rights grow, please forward this to a friend.

To view this email as a web page, please click this link: view online.

Help fight gun control. Donate to the National Association for Gun Rights!

http://nationalgunrights.org/images/donate_button_default.gif

This message was intended for: rick-meagan@comcast.net

You were added to the system January 25, 2011. For more information

click here.

Update your preferences | Unsubscribe

http://paracom.paramountcommunication.com/imagelibrary/N-14762963233-082A435BE01901D3645C145DFEEDBFCD.jpg

Here's something to consider. Doesn't all the exemptions cause more risk for people to leave their gun laying around somewhere where it can be stolen and misused? Ok, can't carry to work. Leave it on the shelf. Can't carry near this school or restaurant. Leave it in the car.

Whereas, if we didn't have all of these exemptions, I'd always have it on me or around me. Total control of it 24/7. If I'm sleeping it's near me.. If I go to work, it could be on me. Anywhere I go it's on me or near me. Adding more exemptions means people have no choice but to leave their guns laying around to be stolen. The antis want so much that they end up negating what they think they're accomplishing. They're ignorant.

Well looks like I won't be getting ANY work done today with this agenda on the house floor. CC bills, AWB's I'm scared!

Snow is steadily falling now for about an hour. Gonna get bad if this continues, school called off for my daughter.

So could HB997, and HB 1155 go to 3rd reading after today?

It's possible that they could move to 3rd reading today, but that doesn't mean it will happen.

With the possible exception of a bow and arrow bill in committee (not Uncle Harley's), there is nothing of interest on the Senate Calendar today.

Senate Calendar 3-5-2013.pdf

SB 1538? that is the complimentary bill to my bill in the senate. The guy that has been helping me push mine, got his rep to write another version in the senate. DNR tried tricking my friend, ( he's 70 yrs young) and conned him into selling out on this bill, but after talking to me some more, my friend has decided to try to get this pushed through.)

Noted.

That's been on their agenda since last Tuesday. Nothing happened last week. You might listen all day for naught. You've been warmed.

Yeah that's what I did last week, listened all day to the full lengthy 3 hour day and nothing.

+1 ^^^^ If you pick up a gun in my house assume it loaded, odds are it is.

You got that right - kids are all grown and gone - not much good without a loaded mag. I DO NOT keep a round at battery, but the mags are in.

Archived