IGOLD FOR NEWBIES

Lou

I have a feeling that we will have a larger crowd this year than in the past and for many of you this will be your first IGOLD. I'm going to try to share some thoughts on how to make it a fun and fulfilling event. Any other IGOLD veterans are free to jump in here and add to this thread. Questions are good too.

For those who take one of the many buses, make sure you know who your bus captian is and exchange cell numbers just in case.

For those driving themselves there is a multilevel parking garage right next to the PCCC. It's $.75 per hour with a $7 maximum. Credit card only - there is no attendant to take cash at the exits. You can pay inside the PCCC or at the exit.

When you enter the Prairie Capital Convention Center after your long ride the first thing you will seek out is the bathroom. They are either downstairs or upstairs in the mezzanine level.

Get that out of the way and then visit the Illinois Carry table in the foyer and buy your raffle tickets, Illinois Carry Hat or pins. IGOLD shirts will also be available inside the PCCC at the ISRA table. Gold is the color of the day!

To buy your hat, shirt ir hoodie ahead of time visit the ISRA store at http://www.igold.isra.org/ They have them in stock now and many time they are sold out by the time IGOLD rolls around.

It's March in Illinois: dress in layers as you need to keep warm for the mile or so march but he Capitol building gets REALLY warm with all of us freedom loving people in there. Wear comfortable shoes because if you march the mile to the Capitol you need to march the mile back at the end. Buses will be available both to and from the Capitol for those who are tired or cannot walk that far. The "march" is at a leisurely pace.

As far as dress, be comfortable but please do not dress in camos or tactical wear unless you really want to be in every 6 PM news-clip and MSM photo. They really do seek out the MSM stereotypes to prove we are all knuckle dragging hicks. Jeans and a decent shirt are fine.

When you enter the PCCC you will be handed an information packet. Bring a pen and 4 to 6 return address labels. There are 4 cards in there that are to be filled out and handed in to your elected representative plus the Speaker Of The House and the Senate President. It save a lot of writing to just slap a return address label on rather than writing it out 4 times. If you do not know who your rep. or senator is there will be Illinois Carry people right inside the door who can look that up for you. We will have a table there with volunteers who can look up this information with just your address or 10 digit zip code.

Another hint is to write the location of your Rep and Senator's office on the back of the card so you know where to go when you enter the Capitol Bldg. You'll know where the speaker's office and the president's office is because they will have lines in front waiting to get in. They do move quickly.

There will be lines to get in the Capitol but if we all work together they go fast. No guns, knifes, bazookas or signs on sticks. Even a flag on a flagpole will not be admitted. There are multiple entrances in through the main Capitol building, the Howlett building and the Stratton Building. Some of us experienced folk bring a zip lock baggy to throw out pocket change, watch, cell phone and anything else that will set off the metal detector in. Some folks just throw them into their hat and that works too. Just know that if you bring that rodeo championship belt buckle you will have to take your belt off and if your pants fall down... well I don't wanna see it. The metal detectors are not as sensation as those in the airports so you don't have to take your shoes off unless they have steel toes or whatever.

As a rule, I've found that the SOS officers who man the checkpoints are really on our side as are the Springfield officers who clear traffic for us. Thank them and let them know you appreciate their support.

Most of all have fun and know that your presence does make a difference. Write your elected officials ahead of time and let them know your are coming to meet with them. Do not be disappointed if they are not in the office when you get there. They do have sessions or committee meetings they need to be at. I sometime have the sneaking suspicion that the so-called leaders schedule the sessions and committee meeting so that it conflicts with IGOLD . No proof but just a hunch.

ABOLT - Molly - MikeW please jump in and add to whatever I've missed.

Know who your Rep and Senator are before you get there, or at least know what districts your in. It's on your voters cards.

I'm amazed by the number of people at IGOLD that have no idea who their elected officials are.

Dave

We will have volunteers there to look it up for you if you don't know who they are.

The table will be along the back wall of the PCCC auditorium.

This is what you'll be missing if you don't go:

post-51-0-11533300-1358905948_thumb.jpg

How do I manage my sign for the march when I am in the Capitol? Is there some staging area where it can be left?

Most people put them under one of the trees beside the Lincoln Statue where we rally before entering the Capitol building.

Hopefully it will be there when you are done. Remember these are all honest gun people!

How do I manage my sign for the march when I am in the Capitol? Is there some staging area where it can be left?

Most people put them under one of the trees beside the Lincoln Statue where we rally before entering the Capitol building.

Hopefully it will be there when you are done. Remember these are all honest gun people!

I'm not in charge of signs, but I believe there are drop off points at the Capitol to leave the signs. They are then picked up, transported back to the PCCC and saved for next year. Markthesignguy will check in shortly with the scoop. Be sure and thank him for the signs. Some of them have been to every IGOLD since the first one!

Any other IGOLD veterans are free to jump in here and add to this thread. Questions are good too.

Sign in at the PCCC, get your packet. There'll be some speach-ifyingn there, then we march. If you don't have any other responsibilities, follow the crowd, have a good time.

If you've never seen 8000 or so people march, it's really something.

Bus riders, note your bus company and bus number, and note that the place your bus dropped you off may not be exactly the place it picks you up at. It will be one side or the other of the convention center. And make sure your bus captain has your cell phone number, and you have his.

It's amazing to me, starting to see familiar faces at igold.

Any other IGOLD veterans are free to jump in here and add to this thread. Questions are good too.

Sign in at the PCCC, get your packet. There'll be some speach-ifyingn there, then we march. Follow the crowd, have a good time.

Bus riders, note your bus company and bus number, and note that the place your bus dropped you off may not be exactly the place it picks you up at. It will be one side or the other of the convention center. And make sure your bus captain has your cell phone number, and you have his.

Looks like the buses will be picking up at the after reception at Vinegar Hill Mall

Sign in at the PCCC, get your packet. There'll be some speach-ifyingn there, then we march. Follow the crowd, have a good time.

Looks like the buses will be picking up at the after reception at Vinegar Hill Mall

Eh! News to me, and news I need to know.

Where is that to the convention center?

Personal signs I hope, I have to make more signs every year due to "shrinkage" and souvenirs. We collect the signs that were handed out at the convention center door, after the speeches at the Lincoln step statue as we head into the Capitol building..

I am going to try to have extra sign faces (what everybody sees) for those that want copies for whatever reason, so there is less incentive for the sticks to walk away.

I posted this in the "flags to IGOLD" thread

Or you can help markthesignguy out with the signs a bit, and we can come up with some sort of "watched storage" BUT we would NOT control in and out access like a coatroom,. just a spot? box? barrel? where they could be deposited and picked up without them being "litter".

All depends upon how "solo" I am this year. If we have two or three we could coordinate and trade off so all can visit their legislators. I DO finally have a cellphone...

I started thinking about this after the 2011 IGOLD, when a nice, stylish lady was looking for her personal sign she wasn't able to get through security.

Stuff to roll up flags, name stickers or tags, to get them back to the owner.

Heres a floor plan I got of the Stratton building I found at the convention building last year The name on the floor plan may have changed to elections or convictions but the room numbers should help guide people to the correct areas. So this is public information.

post-1699-0-23754100-1358959572_thumb.jpg

Notes I jotted down in the elusive search for the 5th floor access in the capitol building:

if you need to get to a senator on the 5th floor capitol building

You need to go to the north security entrance and facing the north(Inside the building facing the exit doors) on your right hand side there is an double set of doors that leads to a set of elevators.

Exiting the elevators 5th floor head a bit to the right (west) and you will find a main reception desk on your left side. Where the receptionists were accepting lobby cards for most 5th floor senators. There is also a narrow set of stairs that will allow you to get there as well its on the east side inside the capitol building.

The 1 gal zip lock bags work great for everything METAL or capable of tripping the alarm.

Dropping the bag on the basket or belt as you are screened will save EVERYONE a ton of time standing OUTSIDE.

When thru the screening grab your bag and MOVE ON.

Bring extras for folks that either forgot theirs or have not been to IGOLD before.

The Stratton building is where you will find your Representatives offices. You can find a map of the Reps offices, like Yas pictured above, at the info booths. Senators offices are in the capital building. There is an underground tunnel which connects the Capital building with the Stratton building. Use it - as it saves going through security multiple times.

Don't be afraid to go to the other side of the Capital or the Stratton Building entrance to go through security. This distributes the number of people entering. Check yourself well BEFORE the trip to Springfield for contraband which will hold up the line at the security check points. Even "look-alike" dummy ammo, such as those key ring items, are not allowed. Of course knives and other weapons should be left at home.

Please be polite with everyone and put garbage in it's place. We have greatly impressed the ISP and capital staff in years past how clean we leave the place for the number of people that attend.

I have a bus question. In past years, I flew my airplane down to IGOLD, but I sold the plane and for the 1st time I am planning on taking the bus to IGOLD for 2013. My problem is this, I live in Elgin, and plan on taking the 7 am bus from Aurora. I can't make the 6 am in Dundee, so the 7 am in Aurora is really the only option. I won't be able to leave my house in Elgin until 6 to 6:15 am, and the trip to Aurora is about a 45 - 50 minute drive. Will the bus leave at exactly 7 am, or is there some wiggle room if I'm a few minutes late? I'd hate to be pulling in to the parking lot while the bus is leaving, do they wait for everyone who purchased a spot on the bus to get there or is it leave at 7 am no matter what? Thanks!

I have a bus question. In past years, I flew my airplane down to IGOLD, but I sold the plane and for the 1st time I am planning on taking the bus to IGOLD for 2013. My problem is this, I live in Elgin, and plan on taking the 7 am bus from Aurora. I can't make the 6 am in Dundee, so the 7 am in Aurora is really the only option. I won't be able to leave my house in Elgin until 6 to 6:15 am, and the trip to Aurora is about a 45 - 50 minute drive. Will the bus leave at exactly 7 am, or is there some wiggle room if I'm a few minutes late? I'd hate to be pulling in to the parking lot while the bus is leaving, do they wait for everyone who purchased a spot on the bus to get there or is it leave at 7 am no matter what? Thanks!

Be sure to include your cell number when you register for the bus. I don't remember if they publish bus captain cell numbers prior to that day, but you should be able to call ISRA office and get that information. Then contact the captain directley and keep him/her updated on your progress that morning. As captain on the Effingham bus, I try to make every effort to contact riders that have reserved a spot and may be running slightly behind.

Tim

I am NOT complaining about the buses but remember they come a long way to reach the NORTHERN end of the state and have to drive thru the same traffic as you and I.

The buses are generally a little late so you should be OK. If you are REALLY running late try and contact the bus capt or someone you know on the bus to see what your alternatives will be.

The 1 gal zip lock bags work great for everything METAL or capable of tripping the alarm.

Dropping the bag on the basket or belt as you are screened will save EVERYONE a ton of time standing OUTSIDE.

When thru the screening grab your bag and MOVE ON.

Bring extras for folks that either forgot theirs or have not been to IGOLD before.

This makes things a lot less congested if you move slightly down the hallway before putting on your belt, shoes etc. Jim.

Maybe include your IllinoisCarry moniker on a name tag. It's nice to put a face with the name. Was all set to go last year then got sick. Definitely going again this year!

Additional Thoughts: Be polite to everyone. Virtually everyone will be polite back. The police officers who "shepherd" the march are generally pretty nice folks, as are the security folks at the capital. There's always a pretty long wait at the metal detectors and at the Speakers' and other key offices; but it's a chance to chat with like-minded folks. If you get a chance, it's always fun to sit in on a legislative session or committee hearing. The food at PCCC is only ok, but there are many other options nearby if needed. If you cannot march b/c of physical limitations, there is a bus to take you to/ from the capital. Make sure to actually talk with your senator / reps if possible. It's interesting. If the busses don't work for your location or schedule (or they get 100% booked), ask around. Many people are driving, and don't mind taking a few folks with them. Marching in a large crowd of people toward a common goal is amazing! And it's a great time!

• 2 weeks later...
The governor will be giving his annual budget speech on March 6th also so there should be plenty of media there to cover it. I called his office today and was told the speech usually starts at noon so he should be done in time to meet us at the Lincoln Statue when we get there. (That last part was sarcasm BTW).

One thought I haven't seen mentioned.

Be mildly prepared to educate people on some of the basic stuff. Everytime I have attended, I have been approached by people who just happened to be visiting the capitol with their families on the same day and wanted to know why we were there. After many brief conversations, most were glad we were there looking out for their rights, and said they would check out the IC site. Make sure you know (and let them know) where the IC table in the capitol building is located, and it doesn't hurt to grab a few leaflets and pocket Constitutions from the table yourself to keep in your pocket to hand out to them.

There are still plenty of people in this state who simply don't realize their rights are being infringed.

Archived