Photo

Illinois General Assembly 1/3/2013

ILGA ILGA01032013

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
283 replies to this topic

#211 Getzapped

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Any confirmations on this

SPRINGFIELD — There’s not enough support in the Illinois Senate to impose tough new restrictions on semiautomatic weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips.
In a setback for gun-control advocates in the wake of the killings of school children in Connecticut, the Illinois Senate was poised to adjourn Thursday without voting on two pieces of legislation aimed at limiting access to certain kinds of weapons and bullets.
Although the two proposals could emerge again when the legislature reconvenes next week, the lack of action shows the General Assembly remains divided on how to balance Second Amendment issues.
http://qctimes.com/n...1a4bcf887a.html
Breech & Barrel Precision Gunsmithing

#212 oneshot

• Members
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

I am trying to get a few more friends to file witness slips but now I can't seem to get a link to those particular bills. Am I doing something wrong?

I think it's no longer under consideration for the time being, so it's been pulled. Good sign!

Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave. - Andrew Fletcher 1698

#213 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,480 posts

I'm going to the doc to get some meds I feel like crap. If a vote comes down would one of you guys that know me send me a text or call me please?
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks"
-Thomas Jefferson-

Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red, the white, the blue. The other ones got a rattle snake with a simple statement made, don't tread on me, is what it says and I'll take that to my grave
-Aaron Lewis-

#214 Elderberry

• Members
  • 3,558 posts

Edit - nevermind - I was thinking of house numbers. So I take it the 30-vote threshold means they do NOT need a super-majority.

Hummmm.... It's only 50%..??? Did somebody change "their" rules...??
Active supporter of The Walmart Thread....

NRA, ISRA, SAF... Vet.. Former LEO... Current Illinois Concealed Carry Permit Holder....

#215 oneshot

• Members
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Any confirmations on this

SPRINGFIELD — There’s not enough support in the Illinois Senate to impose tough new restrictions on semiautomatic weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips.
In a setback for gun-control advocates in the wake of the killings of school children in Connecticut, the Illinois Senate was poised to adjourn Thursday without voting on two pieces of legislation aimed at limiting access to certain kinds of weapons and bullets.
Although the two proposals could emerge again when the legislature reconvenes next week, the lack of action shows the General Assembly remains divided on how to balance Second Amendment issues.

omg "Balance", they're kidding, right?

Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave. - Andrew Fletcher 1698

#216 Xwing

• Members
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

unless cullerton decides that doesn't apply to the senate or in this case? what can we do then?

Sounds like that was the case. Anything that the ruling Chicago Dems favor only takes 30 votes; anything they oppose takes 36. How can we continue to allow such a corrupt system to exist?
NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
CCW Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#217 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 10,674 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

http://blogs.suntime...y_marriage.html

Looks like they are still short on votes and may not vote on this today????
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#218 chip

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

My wife created this link for witness slips...
http://tinyurl.com/hb815

We're watching/listening to the Senate now. The wife asked, "Shouldn't they be doing this at some party AFTER WORK?"
Illinois State Police Approved Instructor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
NROI Range Officer
Top Shot Academy

#219 flw

• 1,132 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Witness filed. and called and called and called.

If feel like I'm in the ER and waiting to see if my loved one is alive or not. This wait sucks but they picked a lame duck session to attempt this. I wonder if their backstabbing way of trying a gun band by suspending all normal discussion, committees and the like will open anyones eyes as to this could be one of their rights that they actually care about.

God givith and man takith away.

ps lets not forget they can try to resubmit this under another name/person until the next State Congress sits next Weds and it could pass just as quick.

Have a great Carry Day !

Submitted and paid for on January 5 at 12:05 am. Approved April 10

#220 TyGuy

• 7,962 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Again, I'll help set up a phone/text/email tree for those interested. We could use 4-5 dedicated watchers, taking turns, to contact me, I'll then contact a few and they will each contact some more. No need for us ALL to watch this crap ALL day.
ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread

#221 miztic

• Members
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Is the Senate in session Friday or Monday?

BTW - we should also call/make slips for our Colorado brethern, they are facing similar measures out there.

please provide a link? I'll happily help out like minded people elsewhere ..

IC / SAF / ISRA / NRA / GRAA Member
Anywhere you are able to carry a pen you should be permitted to carry a sidearm.

They hate guns so much, they are willing to risk the lives of large crowds and children to feel better with their 'gun free' zones.

#222 BobinIL

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

I think I will make it a point to go to IGOLD this year. I haven't been in a few years.

#223 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• 8,221 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

http://blogs.suntime...y_marriage.html

Looks like they are still short on votes and may not vote on this today????

Todd posted a similar statement from Capitolfax. I took it to mean that they are worried about both bills and maybe willing to work harder on marriage than banning guns. Other see it as a trade - one bill up/one bill down.

Time will tell.
Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Link to Livestream Blueroom Events Page

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis

#224 AdamRos19

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Posted from other thread

"According to Senator Dave Syverson:
Thank you everyone for making your calls on the gun ban legislation. With your help it looks like the Bill will NOT be called today which means cannot come up again until Spring session starting in February. "

Also quad city times

Edited by AdamRos19, 03 January 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#225 mauserme

• 8,221 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

I hadn't noticed this until now (from MollyB's source)

No Republicans are for the gun measures, the gun-rights sources said.

But state Sen. Dan Kotowski (D-Park Ridge), chief Senate sponsor of the ammunition bill, told the Chicago Sun-Times that Schoenberg's absence, as well as the absence of state Sen. James Meeks (D-Chicago), left him short of the support he needed to pass the ammunition bill on the Senate floor.

Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Link to Livestream Blueroom Events Page

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis

#226 FarmHand357

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

filed...

Do these actually matter?

I think they matter more than the many petitions out there that we complete and that are then ignored...
Punish the crime, not the freedom

#227 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,208 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Limited access today, but here for a second. Do not rest until they go home!! Looks like they will stay late tonight and cancel tomorrow's session. That could mean a late night vote. We won't be out of the woods 'till the 97th is adjourned sine die!!!

Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#228 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,208 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

filed...

Do these actually matter?

I think they matter more than the many petitions out there that we complete and that are then ignored...

Agreed!

Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#229 oneshot

• Members
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

SO, are there any of these votes that can be swayed by popular opinion in their districts? Any chance at all?

#230 oneshot

• Members
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Posted from other thread

"According to Senator Dave Syverson:
Thank you everyone for making your calls on the gun ban legislation. With your help it looks like the Bill will NOT be called today which means cannot come up again until Spring session starting in February. "

Also quad city times

Hmm, he did say LOOKS LIKE. Those aren't words I'd hang my hat on. I'll relax but stay vigilant. We need a text message tree system!

#231 TTIN

si vis pacem, para bellum

• Members
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

I hadn't noticed this until now (from MollyB's source)

No Republicans are for the gun measures, the gun-rights sources said.

But state Sen. Dan Kotowski (D-Park Ridge), chief Senate sponsor of the ammunition bill, told the Chicago Sun-Times that Schoenberg's absence, as well as the absence of state Sen. James Meeks (D-Chicago), left him short of the support he needed to pass the ammunition bill on the Senate floor.

Looks like those two knew when to take a "sick day". Hahaha
Patrick Henry: "Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense".

"God made men,but Colt made them equals"

"Guns don't kill people..husbands who come home early do" -Larry The Cable Guy

"Illinois: Will the Defendant Please Rise?"

"si vis pacem, para bellum"

#232 chip

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

SO, are there any of these votes that can be swayed by popular opinion in their districts? Any chance at all?

It sure doesn't sound like constituents are the concern of the Senate. Listening now, it truly sounds like they're more interested in how they dress and voting with each other along party lines rather than considering public opinion. This is truly and sadly sickening. I am appalled.
Illinois State Police Approved Instructor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
NROI Range Officer
Top Shot Academy

#233 mauserme

• 8,221 posts

Limited access today, but here for a second. Do not rest until they go home!! Looks like they will stay late tonight and cancel tomorrow's session. That could mean a late night vote. We won't be out of the woods 'till the 97th is adjourned sine die!!!

Words of wisdom right there.

Even if they don't get their amendments out of committee today, they have 2 already amended bills at third reading waiting to be called.

#234 Trent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

It isn't over until this congress adjourns.

Senate sine die, start over again next congress.
NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, and Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA High Power / Smallbore Match Director
IL Approved Concealed Carry Instructor

#235 Uncle Harley

• 4,189 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

the southern D's are pretty good about voting their constitutients wishes, this is why it appears they don't have enough votes.

#236 Steve O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I can only imagine the corrupt criminal deals going on right now....
"The more criminal the leadership of a country becomes, the easier it is for the average person to find himself labeled a criminal by that same leadership." ME

"A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“To prohibit a citizen from wearing or carrying a war arm… is an unwarranted restriction upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of constitutional privilege.” [Wilson v. State, 33 Ark. 557, at 560, 34 Am. - 1878"]

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.

#237 Trent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

edited

Edited by Trent, 03 January 2013 - 02:21 PM.

NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, and Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA High Power / Smallbore Match Director
IL Approved Concealed Carry Instructor

#238 j2dawson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

I really don't know what a witness slip is, but on everyone's advice I filed two. I also called, emailed, and FAXed my senator.

#239 FarmHand357

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Stupid question, what is a witness slip? I read several post where it was suggested it be filled out, but I don't know what it is. I see the link to it and going to try to read up on it on that site.

Its an opportunity to put your opposition to the bills on the record. Not quite casting a vote against, but similar.

http://illinoisrevie...lip-online.html

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 28, 2012

FILE A HOUSE COMMITTEE WITNESS SLIP ONLINE

SPRINGFIELD - This spring, the Illinois House launched a new venue for citizens to participate in the legislative process by filing witness slips online. During committee hearings is the only time public opinion is openly incorporated into the Illinois House's decision-making. At that time, public testimony on a particular piece of legislation is allowed. During the hearing on legislation, the committee chairman commonly reads the list of witnesses that have filed slips for or against the proposal.

The Illinois House's new public interaction via the internet allows citizens over age 13 to file witness slips online and provides a way for virtual participation in the House proceedings. The forms are considered official state documentation and information included should be verifiable.

The Illinois House's online witness slip entree is at http://witnessslips.ilga.gov. Select the committee where a particular bill is assigned, and find the bill on the committee's schedule. Fill out and then submit the form provided for the particular bill online.

Edited by FarmHand357, 03 January 2013 - 02:24 PM.

Punish the crime, not the freedom

#240 Scots

• 1,520 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Starting 3rd readings...
NRA Life Member, SAF Life Member, ISRA Member