Photo

NRA pistol instructor courses?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 vezpa

Illinoiscarry.com Funnyman

• Members
  • 3,829 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

I have seen a few classes posted to receive your NRA pistol instructor certification over the last year or so but nothing recently. I believe it was a full 2 day class.

Anyone doing these in Illinois or Indiana or southern Wisconsin?

Any info would be most appreciated.

Edited by vezpa, 16 November 2012 - 03:48 PM.

Stand Your Ground

#2 ming

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Tom Yackley in Oswego is a great instructor, but you can get a listing of NRA courses here: http://www.nrainstru...archcourse.aspx

Tom's info is: Tom Yackley, NRA Master Training Counselor, 435 Rance Road, Oswego, IL 60543, 630-392-3966, snowelf@att.net.

If you have any trouble contacting Tom, his right hand man/partner is Dave Phistry, davephistry@yahoo.com, 630-217-3003.

I did my BIT and Instructor Pistol Shooting Course with Tom and his team. They do a great job. It is a 2 day course since you must do BIT (Basic Instructor Training) and then the discipline specific portion. It was actually a lot of fun. There are several exams you need to pass as well as a range qualification. You do not have to redo BIT if you wish to add other disciplines, e.g., Instructor Rifle Shooting Course.

Edited by ming, 16 November 2012 - 04:47 PM.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol and PPITH Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
ISRA Member
Registered Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor

#3 C0untZer0

• 8,320 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Ditto on Tom Yackley - he's a great instructor.

I did my BIT with Tom and Rocco - Basic Pistol. Dave had a family function that weekend if I recall.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

#4 C0untZer0

• 8,320 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

There are also classes posted on ISRA calendar:

http://www.isra.org/calendar/
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

#5 ming

• 1,733 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

Ditto on Tom Yackley - he's a great instructor.

I did my BIT with Tom and Rocco - Basic Pistol. Dave had a family function that weekend if I recall.

I know Rocco also. I got to assist in the Basic Pistol course with him on several occasions. I'd train with any of these guys. They're a good bunch.

Edited by ming, 16 November 2012 - 05:18 PM.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol and PPITH Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
ISRA Member
Registered Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor

#6 phorvick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

I do have one upcoming, but not until May 11/12, and it will be in Quincy.

Paul Horvick
paul@shootingsafely.com

#7 wazzle

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

Does anyone come down to the southern part of the state for the instructor classes? Carbondale area

#8 firepiper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

I have seen a few classes posted to receive your NRA pistol instructor certification over the last year or so but nothing recently. I believe it was a full 2 day class.

Check with Debs in Hammond...their web page isn't really current, but give 'em a buzz.....20 minutes from home....

#9 junglebob

• 5,141 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Does anyone come down to the southern part of the state for the instructor classes? Carbondale area

Heartland training team from Marion had an instructor class earlier this month. You may want to check their training calender next year they may have it again. The training calender is on their website www.heartlandtrainingteam.sharepoint.com I've taken some of their other classes and liked them.
Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Remember the 1991 Luby Cafeteria Massacre of the Unarmed (Kileen, Texas before Texas Concealed Carry) Do we need 23 people to die in a similar incident before we're allowed effective self defense?

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#10 vezpa

Illinoiscarry.com Funnyman

• Members
  • 3,829 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

Check with Debs in Hammond...their web page isn't really current, but give 'em a buzz.....20 minutes from home....

I checked wih Debs when I went to use the range this week. $800 for the course is what they charge and that is astronomical.

Edited by vezpa, 29 November 2012 - 03:47 AM.

Stand Your Ground

#11 sirflyguy

• 1,568 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

Heartland training team from Marion had an instructor class earlier this month. You may want to check their training calender next year they may have it again. The training calender is on their website www.heartlandtrainingteam.sharepoint.com I've taken some of their other classes and liked them.

Ditto. Larry and Mike are great guys. I have taken 5 classes with them so far, two of them being instructor classes.

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

NRA-Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor 

NRA-Certified Range Safety Officer

IL FCCA Approved Instructor

#12 4thestars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

Ditto. Larry and Mike are great guys. I have taken 5 classes with them so far, two of them being instructor classes.

I'll add another thumbs up for Larry and Mike of Heartland Training... Great guys and excellent instructors.