Photo

Wisconsin non-resident concealed carry permit?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 vito

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:53 AM

Is there such a thing as a non-resident concealed carry permit from the state of Wisconsin? I know that my PA non-resident permit it accepted by WI, but I have no doubt that if I ever have to deal with a local WI LEO and are carrying, I will likely be hassled as an IL resident, with a non-resident PA permit, traveling in WI. I thought that if WI issued its own non-resident permit, that would make me feel a lot more secure about carrying while in that state.

#2 mrpapageorgio

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

I believe there isn't one. I have my Utah permit and on the Wisconsin DOJ website it says:

Any person who is at least 21 years of age, who is not a Wisconsin resident,* and who holds a valid concealed carry license issued by any of the states on DOJ’s list will be recognized in Wisconsin as an out-of-state licensee, per s. 175.60 (1)(g).

And they do specify that they only honor Virginia's non-resident permit on the list so I'm sure they accept both the resident and non-resident of the other states they honor.

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DePaul Law '17

#3 SFC Stu

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

I believe there isn't one. I have my Utah permit and on the Wisconsin DOJ website it says:

Any person who is at least 21 years of age, who is not a Wisconsin resident,* and who holds a valid concealed carry license issued by any of the states on DOJ’s list will be recognized in Wisconsin as an out-of-state licensee, per s. 175.60 (1)(g).

And they do specify that they only honor Virginia's non-resident permit on the list so I'm sure they accept both the resident and non-resident of the other states they honor.

I would not bet on WI honoring any permit not listed! They will not honor a Virginia resident permit.

#4 lockman

• Members
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

You must be a WI resident to get a WI license.
"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1776

Life Member NRA, ISRA, CCRKBA & SAF

#5 SFC Stu

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

You must be a WI resident to get a WI license.

correct! www.handgunlaw.us

#6 mrpapageorgio

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

I would not bet on WI honoring any permit not listed! They will not honor a Virginia resident permit.

That's what I was trying to say in my "could be better worded" response. Since they specify only the non-resident is accepted, both res and non-res of the states listed are accepted unless otherwise noted.

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DePaul Law '17

#7 Xwing

• Members
  • 5,812 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

They do not have a non-res permit, but WI has fairly good reciprocity. Honors AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, GA, HI, ID, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD, MI, MN, MT, NE, NM, NY, NC, ND, PA, TN, TX, UT, WA, WY (both res and non-res)
NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
CCW Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)