I got a job in Decatur and will be moving out there towards the end of August from California. What do I need to know when it comes to gun laws in Illinois? Here's a couple of things I've found, so far (but if I have anything wrong, please correct me):
- In order to buy any firearm or ammunition, I will need a state issued Firearm Owner's Identification Card (FOID). (I picked up an application at the local Walmart while visiting for a job interview.)
- There is no concealed carry law in Illinois (though it looks like you are fighting that, which is great!).
Some specific questions I have (mostly related to California gun laws) are:
- If I am bringing firearms with me into the state, do I need to register them in any way? (rifles, handguns, shotguns, black powder, anything)
- Are there restrictions on AR15s? If I am in the middle of building an AR15, is it pretty easy to get parts to finish an upper?
- Are there restrictions on the size of magazines? (in California, nothing over 10 rounds--for the most part--in handguns and rifles)
- I've read that Illinois has a good Castle Doctrine. Is this true? If someone breaks into my home and I use a firearm in self defense, will I be arrested? Will I lose my gun?
- Are there any specific restrictions when it comes to semiautomatic rifles? In California, we have the "bullet button" and "featureless builds" for AR15s and AKs. Do you all have any of that in Illinois?