Photo

Shooting low and left

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 robinp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

I shot several hunderd steel targets over the last 10 days (Glock 19). I noticed a pattern of shots hitting low and left. What do I need to do to correct this ?

#2 Bud

• Members
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

Robin

Hope this helps:

[attachment=8179:317779.jpg]
Bud

"The lesson this teaches and which every Afro-American should ponder well, is that a Winchester rifle should have a place of honor in every black home"

Ida B. Wells 1862-1931

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#3 robinp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

I probably have been squeezing more than my trigger finger and not realizing it. I will be mindful of the graph as I dryfire. Hopefully that will translate into correction at the range. Thanks.

#4 moparcardave

• Members
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

The wrist too causes this as you are pulling the trigger it will shoot there is to much trigger and not enough wrist. I did the same thing too and paid more attention and found it was not the gun, it was me.
Guns don't kill people, Gun FREE zones kill people!

WHY CARRY A GUN?  Because carrying a Cop would be too heavy.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
--George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426.

#5 TyGuy

• Supporting Members Team
  • 7,957 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

Can you go with a friend and do some ball and dummy drills?
ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread

#6 F12Mahon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

What is thumbing?

#7 Vaden

Patriot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:04 PM

What is thumbing?

Applying too much thumb to the left side of the pistol, pushing it right in anticipation of recoil, especially when you hold thumbs high. More common in 1911 shooters I believe because of the grip but completely possible with any firearm. I sometimes find myself thumbing the 1911 to the point that I'm slowing the slide, but the Glocks I dont have the issue with.

Edited by Vaden, 05 May 2012 - 11:06 PM.

"A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

#8 FST_Kent

• Members
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:54 AM

Check and see if you got a flinch too. Everyone that has one denies it until it's proven to them. I used to do it to people at the range while I worked just for fun.

Get some dummy rounds of your caliber. Have a freind load your magazine with a dummy round mixed in so you don't know where it is. She what happens when your gun goes "click". Hopefully nothing, but it's an eye opener sometimes.

I used to do it all the time to test myself. I would randomly space dummy rounds in the ammo I was going to shoot and not look at it while I loaded magazines, so I never knew if was was in the mag or not, just that there would be 3-5 dummy's in 50 rounds of ammo somewhere.

Also, going back and forth between a .22 and a standard caliber helps too. I would go back and forth doing 20 rounds of .22, then 5 rounds or .45 or 9mm with a possible dummy in that mag. If you got a flinch, no matter how small, it will go away.

Sometimes it's noise and not recoil that makes us flinch. Double up on hearing protection can help. I could be the only one on an indoor range and being doubled up would help me concentrate to hit the 10 ring and or the x ring of 50' indoor rimfire rifle target. 100 rounds of that and I used to be mentally fried.

#9 Uncle Harley

• 4,189 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

just aim hight and right :laugh:

#10 robinp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

I like your suggestion, FST_Kent. I will try that.

#11 xmikex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

+1 to what Kent said -

As animals, we have a natural aversion to loud noises - when we know we're going to squeeze the "volume control" and cause a loud explosion with flames and all the other awesomeness that happens when the firing pin hits the primer, our natural reaction is to tense up a bit and it causes us to flinch - only WE are the ones creating the loudness - we're in control and if we shoot enough, we learn JUST the spot where the trigger breaks - which helps us flinch better :frantics:

Dummy rounds and a buddy watching from the side to see / call you on your flinch may help.

Trigger control is also a likely culprit. Work on a smooth, consistent trigger press and it will help.

It's tough overcoming our natural fear of loud noises - it's part of the "zen" of shooting where you decide that the gun is going to do what the gun's going to do - and you're going to make it hit where you need it to hit. Hope that makes sense...
"I may disapprove of what arms you bear, but I will defend to the death your right to remain armed." -xmikex

#12 Uncle Harley

• 4,189 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

google whites trigger stop if you are shooting a long DA auto. YOu pull back untill you hit the stop and then it takes an actuall squeeze to get it to go bang.

#13 Machine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

I did this a lot and it was really frustrating. Lightweight guns exacerbate it. Unfortunately, it still comes back occasionally under pressure. A bunch of dry fire will help. A SIRT training pistol makes it more fun to practice it. I put up some targets in my basement and train with the SIRT occasionally.
ISRA, NRA, SAF, IDPA, USPSA, CCRKBA Member
IGOLDer

Guns protect and defend
Let the Constitution be your guide

#14 TyGuy

• 7,957 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

Are you wearing shoes? Perhaps you only put on your right sock?
ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread

#15 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

Too much finger on the trigger I bet. Also check your grip. This may be hard to explain on a board like this but imagine the total amount of grip that both hands are applying when you hold the gun. The hand the gun is in should be applying 40% of the total grip while your support hand is applying 60%. This is because if you're applying to much grip with your dominant hand it begins to shake and you can't control your trigger sqeaze as well.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks"
-Thomas Jefferson-

Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red, the white, the blue. The other ones got a rattle snake with a simple statement made, don't tread on me, is what it says and I'll take that to my grave
-Aaron Lewis-

#16 Uncle Harley

• 4,189 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

All this makes me think of all the advice from the movie Tin Cup LMAO!

"Alright. Take out all your change and put it in your left-hand pocket. C'mon, do it, Roy . Alright now, tie your left shoe in a double knot. Right now, Roy, do it. Turn your hat around backwards. Turn your hat around. Do it, Roy. Now take this tee and stick it behind your left ear." (Romeo)
"Stick it ... I look like a fool." (Roy)
"Well what the heck you think you look like shooting them chili peppers up Lee Jantzen's a**?" (Romeo)

Edited by Uncle Harley, 07 May 2012 - 09:35 AM.

#17 Jason4567

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

Robin

Hope this helps:

[attachment=8179:317779.jpg]

Keep in mind that is dependent on whether you are a left or right handed shooter. That is for right.

IS YOUR RIFLE A GRENADE LAUNCHER? YES NO

From the Chicago Firearm Registration form

#18 rock4xfab

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

Are you sure the guns sites are correct to begin with?

#19 robinp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:55 PM

Yes, the gun sites are accurate. My human error surfaces when I speed up my shooting. The collectibve comments in this thread are helpful and gives me several things to work on/be mindful of. I'm especially interested in the SIRT Training Pistol. It looks like a great dry fire training tool (thanks for the suggestion, machine).

#20 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• 5,610 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Dry fire with a laser. You'll know right away if it is you flinching, or the gun. Once you know what the problem is, you can work on correcting it.

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
Utah Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Have all boated who fish? Have all boated who fish?

#21 FST_Kent

• Members
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

Coach posted a "wall" dry fire drill from the Sig Academy several years ago. Do a search and you might find it here.

Here's a similar video.

#22 stm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

Yes, the gun sites are accurate. My human error surfaces when I speed up my shooting.

I do the same thing sometimes when I shoot faster. My trigger control suffers. I've found that my issues are anticipating recoil a little bit, and instead of a nice clean squeeze, I tend to push the trigger to the right as I speed up my trigger stroke. If I don't use enough trigger finger, I push right and it is more pronounced going faster.

Glock triggers are no quite SA, not quite DA. I get great control using just my fingertip for slow accurate shooting. But when I speed up, I find I get better results if I treat the trigger as a DA revolver trigger, using my first digit up to the joint of my index finger. It shifts my grip around, but it works for me. I'm sure some Glockophiles can explain that better than I can.

Good luck!

yea everyone makes fun of the redneck till the zombies show up. . .