Jump to content


Photo

The only reason we have the 2nd amendment was to enable slavery

From The Nationel Gun Victims

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Lou

    Resident Old Guy

  • Supporting Members Team
  • 10,919 posts
  • Joined: 18-May 04

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

I can't believe how low the anti-gunners will go!! This boggles my mind.

The only reason we have the 2nd amendment was to enable slavery

Apr 26, 2012 01:57 pm | NGAC



2ND AMENDMENT AND SLAVERY
The principal purpose of the 2nd amendment was to preserve the slave system that existed in the late 1700’s. While Professor Lepore (“Battleground America” New Yorker April 23, 2012) gives an excellent summary of the interpretive evolution of the 2nd Amendment, she neglects to speak to its origin. The 2nd Amendment was the price that had to be paid to secure ratification of the Constitution. (See “The Hidden History of the Second Amendment” by Carl T. Bogus.)
The slave states relied on their militias to control their slaves and to suppress rebellion. The militia was required because the slave population in the slave states was such a large proportion of the total population. For example, as per the 1790 census, in Virginia slaves were 39 % of the total population, in South Carolina 43%, in Maryland 32%. (The brutal methods of the state militias, murder, fire, terror were adopted by the Ku Klux Klan.)
Nine states were needed to ratify the constitution drafted in Philadelphia in 1787. At the time of Virginia’s Ratifying Convention (Richmond June 1788), eight states had ratified but of the other five, Virginia was the only realistic hope, for number nine. During the debate in Richmond, Patrick Henry who opposed the Constitution, reminded the delegates that “The militia were the last and best defense against slave insurrection.”
Commitment to including the second amendment in the Bill of Rights removed the threat of Congress using its constitutionally granted power to disarm the state militias. This was the price that had to be paid for Virginia’s ratification.
The horror of slavery was the driving factor for establishing the second amendment. It continues today to extract its grievous toll.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 


#2 papa

    Member

  • Supporting Members Team
  • 4,132 posts
  • Joined: 13-December 07

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

I don't believe I have ever read anything so wrong in my entire life. It irks me to no end because I know there are so many , gullible enough , to believe it .

#3 ChiShooter

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Joined: 26-January 11

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

That's also the reason why we have the 1st amendment - so that KKK leaders can freely speak about their goals and against other races. Also that's the reason for the 4th amendment , so that they can be protected against the search and that they can hide their guns that were given to them by the 2nd amendment. And needless to say - 10th amendment was added to solidify all this.

#4 Jeff Johnson

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,106 posts
  • Joined: 13-April 04

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

Not even close. The GUN CONTROL LAWS were more about suppressing blacks.

#5 GarandFan

    Member

  • Members
  • 11,729 posts
  • Joined: 06-February 07

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Lou, what is the source of this article?
"It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place."
Lewis Carroll, 1872

#6 Thanks2mcdonald

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined: 02-March 12

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

Appears to be from here (Google search): http://gunvictimsact...enable-slavery/

#7 ChiShooter

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Joined: 26-January 11

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

These people's mindset is exactly like this cartoon lady in the video here:

http://chasvoice.blo...l#axzz1tGTMmX42

#8 Lou

    Resident Old Guy

  • Supporting Members Team
  • 10,919 posts
  • Joined: 18-May 04

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

Lou, what is the source of this article?


GF. It was an e-mail I got from the organization in post #6.

Unbelievable , isn't it?

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 


#9 lockman

    Member

  • Members
  • 6,208 posts
  • Joined: 07-July 06

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

I can't believe how low the anti-gunners will go!! This boggles my mind.

The only reason we have the 2nd amendment was to enable slavery

Apr 26, 2012 01:57 pm | NGAC



2ND AMENDMENT AND SLAVERY
The principal purpose of the 2nd amendment was to preserve the slave system that existed in the late 1700’s. While Professor Lepore (“Battleground America” New Yorker April 23, 2012) gives an excellent summary of the interpretive evolution of the 2nd Amendment, she neglects to speak to its origin. The 2nd Amendment was the price that had to be paid to secure ratification of the Constitution. (See “The Hidden History of the Second Amendment”by Carl T. Bogus.)
The slave states relied on their militias to control their slaves and to suppress rebellion. The militia was required because the slave population in the slave states was such a large proportion of the total population. For example, as per the 1790 census, in Virginia slaves were 39 % of the total population, in South Carolina 43%, in Maryland 32%. (The brutal methods of the state militias, murder, fire, terror were adopted by the Ku Klux Klan.)
Nine states were needed to ratify the constitution drafted in Philadelphia in 1787. At the time of Virginia’s Ratifying Convention (Richmond June 1788), eight states had ratified but of the other five, Virginia was the only realistic hope, for number nine. During the debate in Richmond, Patrick Henry who opposed the Constitution, reminded the delegates that “The militia were the last and best defense against slave insurrection.”
Commitment to including the second amendment in the Bill of Rights removed the threat of Congress using its constitutionally granted power to disarm the state militias. This was the price that had to be paid for Virginia’s ratification.
The horror of slavery was the driving factor for establishing the second amendment. It continues today to extract its grievous toll.


"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1776

Life Member NRA, ISRA, CCRKBA & SAF

#10 AFigmentOfYourImagination

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Joined: 13-April 12

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

Ya know, it's instances like this that make me wonder if those folks should be drug tested.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill


#11 GarandFan

    Member

  • Members
  • 11,729 posts
  • Joined: 06-February 07

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Ya know, it's instances like this that make me wonder if those folks should be drug tested.


I see your point ... but then again, I know a multitude of folks who've never touched drugs, yet appear to be intellectually inept and morally vapid.

Personally, I like to see this kind of utterly senseless drivel from people like the "National gun victims" alliance (or whatever they call themselves). They marginalize themselves ... Don't interrupt your enemies when they are making mistakes or acting foolishly.
"It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place."
Lewis Carroll, 1872

#12 JR1987

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Joined: 11-April 11

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Posted Image

#13 vezpa

    Illinoiscarry.com Funnyman

  • Members
  • 3,829 posts
  • Joined: 15-June 10

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

This story is completely 100% wrong in every way. To be honest I can't believe what I just read. Gun Laws and Prohibition enabled slavery.

Maybe we need the rebuttal of a few black scholars and people in the know who constantly speak out against this ****.

Dr G. where are you?.

Edited by vezpa, 27 April 2012 - 03:27 PM.

Stand Your Ground

#14 soundguy

    Member

  • Supporting Members Team
  • 2,629 posts
  • Joined: 27-February 05

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Did anyone notice that the article quotes a Mr Bogus?

Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#15 mauserme

    Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

  • Moderator
  • 9,579 posts
  • Joined: 20-February 09

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

For years the messages of pro-gun groups have included:

> Nazis disarmed Jews, to the detriment of the Jews

> Turks disarmed Armenians, to the detriment of the Armenians

> The Soviets diarmed Russians, to the detriment of the Russians

> The Khmer Rouge disarmed Cambodian citizens, the detriment of all of Cambodia

> Ex-slave owners disarmed freed slaves, to the detriment of freed slaves


Did I forget anyone? Oh yes:


> American slave owners kept slaves disarmed, to the detriment of the slaves


I don't think there's any real historical accuracy in that last assertion (as it relates to the Second Amendment), but it sure has a familar ring.

Edited by mauserme, 27 April 2012 - 06:14 PM.

.
.
Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Link to Livestream Blueroom Events Page

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis

#16 Kaeghl

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Joined: 28-February 05

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

So guns in the hands of the people are the cause of slavery being continued? Uhh wrong again, a$$hat. The exact opposite is the truth... The best and most effective way to enslave a people is to disarm them, paraphrasing a founding father.

What are the L.I.A.R.S. going to accuse us of next? Killing **** robin and increasing the national debt?

Edited by Kaeghl, 27 April 2012 - 07:13 PM.


#17 AFigmentOfYourImagination

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Joined: 13-April 12

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:27 PM


Ya know, it's instances like this that make me wonder if those folks should be drug tested.


I see your point ... but then again, I know a multitude of folks who've never touched drugs, yet appear to be intellectually inept and morally vapid.

Personally, I like to see this kind of utterly senseless drivel from people like the "National gun victims" alliance (or whatever they call themselves). They marginalize themselves ... Don't interrupt your enemies when they are making mistakes or acting foolishly.


Great point. It just really gets frustrating listening to people utter total lies...then again I reckon most all of us here on IC feel that way...otherwise we wouldn't be here.


Did anyone notice that the article quotes a Mr Bogus?


You know, that is totally fitting....lol.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill


#18 Hossua

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • Joined: 16-June 08

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

It is true that the second amendment and the bill of rights in general were a compromise to get the constitution ratified. There are historical references to the dangers of an armed slave rebellion. I have never seen such references used in a circumstance other than arguing for abolition, however.
One of the strongest arguments for the second amendment was to prevent the federal government from disarming militias, I don't think it is out of line to say that the slave states were interested in keeping an armed militia to put down slave rebellions. I do however think it is a mistake to say it was the only, or even the most important reason.

Edited by Hossua, 28 April 2012 - 12:06 PM.