Photo

NPR "The Politics of Guns in America"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Yas

• Members
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

This week marks five years since the Virginia Tech shootings. But advocates for gun control have made little progress. The politics behind America's gun culture.

Guests
E.J. Dionne Jr. senior fellow, The Brookings Institution, columnist, Washington Post and author of the forthcoming book, "Our Divided Political Heart: The Battle for the American Idea in an Age of Discontent."
Daniel Webster co-director, Center for Gun Policy and Research at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
John Velleco director of federal affairs, Gun Owners of America.

Link to show

#2 Bud

• Members
  • 6,890 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

This week marks five years since the Virginia Tech shootings. But advocates for gun control have made little progress. The politics behind America's gun culture.

Guests
E.J. Dionne Jr. senior fellow, The Brookings Institution, columnist, Washington Post and author of the forthcoming book, "Our Divided Political Heart: The Battle for the American Idea in an Age of Discontent."
Daniel Webster co-director, Center for Gun Policy and Research at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
John Velleco director of federal affairs, Gun Owners of America.

Link to show

You know what got those 32 stiudent at Viginia Tech killed?

The fact that none of the students were allowed to be armed in their own self defense and the fact that the cops spent 45 minutes getting the perimeter secured before they even entered the school. One cop, responding to the gunfire could have saved more than 20 lives . One student legally armed could have saved all of them.

Here's a link to the after action review to prove my point:

The 2007 Mass Shooting at Virginia Tech

Edited by Bud, 17 April 2012 - 03:19 PM.

Bud

Dico Tibi Verum, Libertas Optima Rerum Nunquam Servili Sub Nexu Vivito, Fili.

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#3 Ranger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

Not too long after that, one of the main parties (don't remember his name or role; but it might have been the police chief) gave a presentation on it at a conference I attended. During the Q&A session afterwards, I asked if he thought concealed carry would have reduced the number of deaths. His answer danced around it (i.e. "not sure" type answer); but I remain convinced that a trained student or teacher CCWing and intervening would have saved lives.

#4 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,305 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hadn't the VA legislature or the Board of Regents at VT refused to allow CC on campus just a few weeks or months before the shooting took place? I thought I remembered that.
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB