Photo

Could it be?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 danbury

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Never really knew where this guy stood. Seems like this is a decent start.

Romney courts gun owners
It's nice when you have the high ground of the Founding Fathers agreement. It means that I'm not the one with the un American view.

#2 Gunslinger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

He signed an AWB at one point in his career

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
The Second Amendment IS my concealed weapons permit.... Period!-Ted Nugent

Example of Combat Logic:

Marine #1-"You can't just add zeros to the end of a 6 digit grid to make a 10 digit...."
Marine #2-"Sure you can, the GPS accepted it and now we are on our way!"

#3 Buzzard

• Members
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Yes he did, But it is looking more and more like he willl be the one that challenges Obama for the presidency. And if Obama gets re-elected he will appoint more liberal justices, possibly flip the SCOTUS to a liberal majority and wreck any other havoc he damn well pleases due to not being worried about re - election. The stakes will be far too high to not pull the lever for Romney.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes,
but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda,
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

#4 wilessiuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Yes he did, But it is looking more and more like he willl be the one that challenges Obama for the presidency. And if Obama gets re-elected he will appoint more liberal justices, possibly flip the SCOTUS to a liberal majority and wreck any other havoc he damn well pleases due to not being worried about re - election. The stakes will be far too high to not pull the lever for Romney.

+1
"To Disarm The People - That Was The Best And Most Effectual Way To Enslave Them" - George Mason

ONE STATE - ONE LAW

#5 drdoom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

That's certainly true, but ask yourself, which lesser of evil's would you prefer? Obama? With Obama, we'd certainly get worse
than Romney, in terms of 'gun-control' (use your imagination, and tell me Obama is better on gun-control than Romney). With Obama
in a second term, we loose a majority on the supreme court and any chance of expanding gun-rights. I detest Romney's record as governor,
but I'm not going to put the destroyer in chief back into office, not again.

In any event, we gotta keep things in perspective, the country does NOT need another four years of Obama,
and him trying to gut the constitution.

#6 3ddiver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Without a doubt I prefer Romney over Obama. I will work to get him elected but he is not a close friend of the 2nd Amendment, not a complete destroyer, but not a close friend.

#7 Gunslinger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Sorry, don't get me wrong I would vote for the rusty lawn chair in my back yard that got nominated before I voted Obama or some third party that would just insure his win. All that aside I will be voting in Illinois so I guess it doesn't count anyways.

The Second Amendment IS my concealed weapons permit.... Period!-Ted Nugent

Example of Combat Logic:

Marine #1-"You can't just add zeros to the end of a 6 digit grid to make a 10 digit...."
Marine #2-"Sure you can, the GPS accepted it and now we are on our way!"

#8 ike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

After Fast And Furious, the comments with the Mexican President about our gun laws being the cause of violence in Mexico. Ties to the Joyce foundation.,appointing anti 2A Judges to the courts, I can't see how any gun owner could vote for Obama. And yes a candidate's stand on the 2A is my first deciding issue.
As Governor of a liberal state with the legislature controlled by Democrats ,Romney had a less than stellar 2A record and we can hope that his views on the 2A are growing positive.With Obama ,the 2A will be a target

#9 SFC Stu

• Members
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

After Fast And Furious, the comments with the Mexican President about our gun laws being the cause of violence in Mexico. Ties to the Joyce foundation.,appointing anti 2A Judges to the courts, I can't see how any gun owner could vote for Obama. And yes a candidate's stand on the 2A is my first deciding issue.
As Governor of a liberal state with the legislature controlled by Democrats ,Romney had a less than stellar 2A record and we can hope that his views on the 2A are growing positive.With Obama ,the 2A will be a target

If you own a firearm for any reason, Obama does not like you! Obama will destroy America as we know it!

#10 Buzzard

• Members
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Sorry, don't get me wrong I would vote for the rusty lawn chair in my back yard that got nominated before I voted Obama or some third party that would just insure his win. All that aside I will be voting in Illinois so I guess it doesn't count anyways.

Yes, you could be right. But please consider those out there that may just hear your lament and say "Fugg it - if I can't even make my vote for Mitt Romney count, I may as well write in my OWN rusty lawn chair. Aww, to Heck with it....I'm just staying home.

We absolutely must put out our best effort. And believe me - I DO know how you feel! Last election I collected signatures for Fred Thompson. I went to see him in Davenport on the campaign trail. And poor, 'ol Fred looked like he wasn't in the best of health even then! I thought "Is he STILL battling cancer and not sayin' anything??" It didn't matter anyway - I was forced to vote for McCain - although in my mind I was voting for Sarah!!

And who knows? We may just pull one out for a change - Remember - a LOT of people voted for Obama last election because to THEM it was a toss up and they thought "It's probably time we had an AA president." They didn't look into Obama's do nothing, vote 'present', play Chicago dirty tricks to get elected, and a past that is more secret than our country's missle technology. They just didn't have a clue and voted for "the first AA president" and I know quite a few that did!!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes,
but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda,
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

#11 Smallbore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

One reason talked about to get Obama out is his judge appointments.
I would like to add one more reason to that list. I trust that Romney will pick people of much better character to be his advisors (that go beyond picking judges).

#12 Hossua

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

I won't vote for Rombama. Hope you guys are ready for 4 more years of Mr. Obama.

#13 Buzzard

• Members
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

I won't vote for Rombama. Hope you guys are ready for 4 more years of Mr. Obama.

You don't give a reason. Only a veiled accusation that Mitt Romney is no different.

#14 pyre400

Political opinions expressed are always my own.

• Admin
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

I agree - Romney is the Republican's Obama.

He seems to play a mean gun owner fiddle too. Here's a quote citing just a few facts.

Here's some fun facts about Mitt Romney:

In 1994, Romney Backed Brady Bill. “[Romney] said he will take stands that put him at odds with some traditional ultra-conservative groups, and cited his support for the assault rifle ban and the Brady gun control law. ‘That’s not going to make me the hero of the NRA,’ he said. ‘I don’t line up with a lot of special interest groups.’”
(Andrew Miga, “Mitt Rejects Right-Wing Aid,” Boston Herald, 9/23/94)

Romney Called Clinton Crime Bill “A Big Step Forward.” “Correction: Because of a reporting error, a story in yesterday’s Metro/Region section about the taping of a debate between Republican gubernatorial candidates incorrectly attributed to John Lakian a quote about the federal crime bill. It was Mitt Romney who said: ‘This legislation isn’t perfect. But if we think we’re going to go to Washington and only vote for things that are perfect, I think we’d be making a big mistake. This bill is a big step forward.’”
(“Correction,” The Boston Globe, 8/28/94)

Gun Owners Action League’s James Wallace Called Romney’s Action A Tax On All Gun Owners. “James Wallace, spokesman for the Gun Owners Action League, said his organization considers the state firearm registration fee – which Romney proposes raising … to be a tax on the 200,000 state residents who hold firearm identification cards.”
(Joanna Weiss, “Romney Proposals On Fees Draw Fire,” The Boston Globe, 2/28/03)

In April 2007, Romney Said He Would “Consider” Supporting Renewal Of Federal Assault Weapons Ban. TOWNHALL.COM’s MARY KATHERINE HAM: “[Y]ou supported an assault weapons ban in Massachusetts. This [Virginia Tech] tragedy is being used to push the renewal of the federal assault weapons ban. What would your stance be if that comes up again?” ROMNEY: “Well, you know, the weapon used here was not an assault weapon, so I’m not sure what the relevance is. … You know, if there’s a weapon that puts our police at risk, like machine guns, of course, then that’s something I would, of course, consider.”
(Mary Katherine Ham, “Townhall.com Sits Down With Gov. Romney,” TownHall.com Blog, 4/20/07)

Romney Signed State-Level Assault Weapons Ban That Was Mirrored After Federal Assault Weapons Ban. “[P]erhaps the most significant gun legislation Romney signed as governor was a 2004 measure instituting a permanent ban on assault weapons. The Legislature mirrored the law after the federal assault weapons ban, which was set to expire. According to activists at the time, the bill made Massachusetts the first state to enact its own such ban, and Romney hailed the move. … [T]he NRA and many local affiliates do not support assault weapons bans, arguing that the arms are rarely used in crimes and have a legitimate purpose in hunting, target shooting, and self-protection.”
(Scott Helman, “Romney Retreats On Gun Control,” The Boston Globe, 1/14/07)

Romney Repeatedly Claimed He Owned A Gun And Went Hunting Himself. “[Romney] expressed enthusiasm for guns and hunting. ‘I have a gun of my own. I go hunting myself. I’m a member of the NRA and believe firmly in the right to bear arms,’ Romney said.”

Romney Later Revealed He Didn’t Join NRA Until Last August, Just Before Presidential Campaign Began. “Mitt Romney, who has touted his support of gun owners since launching his presidential campaign, yesterday acknowledged he did not become a member of the National Rifle Association until last August, campaign officials said.”
(David Abel, “Romney Joined NRA In August,” The Boston Globe, 2/19/07)

Romney Later Admitted He Has Been Hunting Only Twice In His Life – Once Nearly Fifty Years Ago, Once At “Fenced Game Preserve” On 2006 Retreat For Political Donors. “[T]he former Massachusetts governor’s hunting experience is limited to two trips at the bookends of his 60 years: as a 15-year-old, when he hunted rabbits with his cousins on a ranch in Idaho, and last year, when he shot quail on a fenced game preserve in Georgia. Last year’s trip was an outing with major donors to the Republican Governors Association, which Romney headed at the time.”
(Glen Johnson, “Romney Calls Himself A Longtime Hunter,” The Associated Press, 4/5/07)

After Professing He Owned A Gun, Romney Admitted The Gun Was Not His But Maintained He Went Hunting “From Time To Time.” “Asked by reporters at the gun show Friday whether he personally owned the gun, Romney said he did not. He said one of his sons, Josh, keeps two guns at the family vacation home in Utah,and he uses them ‘from time to time.’”

Romney “Was Not Trying To Mislead Anyone,” Claimed His Aides. “An aide said Wednesday that Romney was not trying to mislead anyone, although he confirmed Romney had been hunting only on those occasions in his life.”
(Glen Johnson, “Romney Calls Himself A Longtime Hunter,” The Associated Press, 4/5/07)

Lowell Sun Called Romney’s Claim To Have Longtime Passion For Hunting “More Than A Little Weak.” “Romney and his spokesman are working overtime to convince gun enthusiasts the former governor didn’t switch his position just to appeal to gun owners, but it is a tough sell. His argument that he has been a hunter ‘all his life,’ because as a boy working on a ranch in Idaho he shot rabbits that were eating the barley and that he has recently been quail hunting, is more than a little weak.”
(Editorial, “Modified Mitt,” Lowell Sun, 2/22/07)

Washington Post: Romney’s Hunting Gaffe Serves As Lesson That Money Can’t Buy Authenticity. “There are things in politics that money can’t buy, and chief among them is the quality of authenticity: the ability to convince voters that a candidate is more than the sum of positioning by his or her handlers. Last week, former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney was the latest to discover that truth.”
(Editorial, “Killer Rabbits,” The Washington Post, 4/10/07)

Newsweek: Romney’s “Varmints” Explanation “Sounded Stiff And Lame.” “Romney tried to explain that he had not been a ‘big game’ hunter but rather shot at varmints and smaller game … But the explanations sounded stiff and lame – one more example of Romney’s trying to pander to true-blue conservatives and getting called out for it.”
(Evan Thomas et al, “Is Mitt Romney Ready For Prime-Time Politics?” Newsweek, 4/16/07)

Romney Has Never Procured A Hunting License, According To Officials In Four States Where He Has Lived. “Officials in the four states where Mitt Romney has lived say the Republican presidential contender, who calls himself a lifelong hunter, never took out a license. Romney says that’s because he has seldom hunted where he needed one. … Hunting certain small game there doesn’t require a license. … [T]he Associated Press asked wildlife officials in Michigan, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Utah for any documentation verifying Romney had been a registered hunter.”
(Glen Johnson, “Romney Defends Lack Of Hunting License,” The Associated Press, 4/7/07)

No Record Of Romney License In Michigan, Massachusetts Or New Hampshire – Utah Does Not Allow Access To License Records. “Officials from Michigan, Massachusetts and New Hampshire, where a license is
necessary to hunt such small game, said they could not immediately locate any license for Romney. An official in Utah said a change in state law last year blocked public access to license records.”
(Glen Johnson, “Romney Defends Lack Of Hunting License,” The Associated Press, 4/7/07)

Romney Explains He Signed Up For Lifetime NRA Membership In August 2006 Because “I’m After The NRA’s Endorsement. … If I’m Going To Ask For Their Endorsement, They’re Going To Ask For Mine. “Expressing familiarity with and support for gun rights is key among Republican presidential contenders … It helps explain why Romney joined the NRA last August, signing up not just as a supporter but a designated ‘Lifetime’ member … Romney told a Derry, N.H., audience, ‘I’m after the NRA’s endorsement. I’m not sure they’ll give it to me. I hope they will. I also joined because if I’m going to ask for their endorsement, they’re going to ask for mine.’”

Romney is clueless about spending cuts and has actually stated, as recently as this past February, that cutting government spending could hurt the economic recovery. Yet, he talks about cutting taxes for some. So we continue the reckless spending, and slash some revenue (almost Bush-like, no?)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - There's no f'n way I'll vote for either Romney, or Obama. They're both big government guys, who are in bed with special interests. To heck with them both, I say.

#15 bushyfan24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

Hope your ready to have Heller and Macdonald reversed when big O gets to replace a supreme. Great plan.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

#16 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,208 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hope your ready to have Heller and Macdonald reversed when big O gets to replace a supreme. Great plan.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

And remember, SCOTUS appointments can't be corrected in four years at the next presidential election. They serve for life. We're stuck with Kagan and Sotamayor for a long time. Want a liberal SCOTUS for the next 25-35 years???

Think about it.
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#17 wazzle

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

You have to remember that Romney was elected as a Rebulican governor in an state with an overall majority of Democrat lawmakers. The assault weapon ban he signed was in a bill that included many other items. The highlights are ......

1. Established the Firearm License Review Board (FLRB). The 1998 law created new criteria for disqualifying citizens for firearms licenses that included any misdemeanor punishable by more than two years even if no jail time was ever served.

For instance, a first conviction of operating a motor vehicle under the influence would result in the loss of your ability to own a handgun for life and long guns for a minimum of five years. This Board is now able to review cases under limited circumstances to restore licenses to individuals who meet certain criteria.

2. Mandated that a minimum of $50,000 of the licensing fees be used for the operation of the FLRB so that the Board would not cease operating under budget cuts.

3. Extended the term of the state’s firearm licenses from 4 years to 6 years.

4. Permanently attached the federal language concerning assault weapon exemptions in 18 USC 922 Appendix A to the Massachusetts assault weapons laws. This is the part that the media misrepresented.

In 1998 the Massachusetts legislature passed its own assault weapons ban (MGL Chapter 140, Section 131M). This ban did not rely on the federal language and contained no sunset clause. Knowing that we did not have the votes in 2004 to get rid of the state law, we did not want to lose all of the federal exemptions that were not in the state law so this new bill was amended to include them.

5. Re-instated a 90 day grace period for citizens who were trying to renew their firearm license. Over the past years, the government agencies in charge had fallen months behind in renewing licenses. At one point it was taking upwards of a year to renew a license. Under Massachusetts law, a citizen cannot have a firearm or ammunition in their home with an expired license.

6. Mandated that law enforcement must issue a receipt for firearms that are confiscated due to an expired license. Prior to this law, no receipts were given for property confiscated which led to accusations of stolen or lost firearms after they were confiscated by police.

7. Gave free license renewal for law enforcement officers who applied through their employing agency.

8. Changed the size and style of a firearm license to that of a driver’s license so that it would fit in a normal wallet. The original license was 3” x 4”.

9. Created stiffer penalties for armed home invaders.”

Entire bill

Edited by wazzle, 15 April 2012 - 07:36 PM.

#18 sctman800

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

Let us not forget when Obama was an Illinois state senator he was one of the few who voted against the "Hale Demar law." To me that is pretty indefensible! I really believe if he is re-elected it will be war on gun owners and even if I am wrong we have allready seen who he will put on the USSC when given the chance.
Romney is not my strongest choice for President but I would vote for Ted Bundy before Obama. Romney signed an AWB in Massachutes and I am not versed in the dynamics of how much of a majority it was voted in by, being Mass. the vote could have been overwhelming in favor and therefore useless to veto. Will I trust him to do the right thing concerning the 2A if elected? Pretty much, yes.
There is nothing wrong with someone, even a politition changing their position over the course of several years when more information supporting a view different than your own comes to light and circumstances change. I don't mean someone whose position changes every time they come out with a different poll. In 1968 Charleton Heston went on television supporting the 1968 gun control act and then years later became a leader in the gun rights movement. Jim.
Kristofferson wrote it and Janis sang it "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

#19 spec4

• Members
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

Romney gets my vote. Sure, he's not my ideal candidate, but in comparison to Obama, well, there is no comparison. I doubt that Ann Romney will be telling us what to eat as first lady. I doubt that Romney will kow tow to foreign despots. More importantly, I don't think he would appoint a lying "wise Latina lady" or Obamacare sponsor to SCOTUS. That alone is reason to vote for him. On a more visceral level, I can't stand Obama's smug arrogant, condescending attitude.

#20 boomersand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

Romney became a life member of the NRA in 2004. Obummer certainly isn't.

#21 kurt555gs

• Members
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Since this is "IllinoisCarry" what does it matter? President Obama will get the Illinois electoral delegates no matter how everyone on this board votes. That is a done deal. Time to move along.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Kurt on G+

#22 pyre400

Political opinions expressed are always my own.

• Admin
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Romney became a life member of the NRA in 2004.

And the devil has always believed in Jesus... Just sayn'

#23 Buzzard

• Members
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

Since this is "IllinoisCarry" what does it matter? President Obama will get the Illinois electoral delegates no matter how everyone on this board votes. That is a done deal. Time to move along.

It matters, Kurt, because you can't carry a gun that you're not allowed to own! The truth is - Obama doesn't think people should be allowed to own guns! He's already admitted that after the election "he'll have more leeway" in how he does things. That alone should scare the heck out of gun owners!

And let's not forget that Illinois has not ALWAYS voted Democrat!

===============================================
Obama and Guns: Two Different Views

Written By John R. Lott, Jr. Published April 07, 2008

FoxNews.com

Something happens to Democrats on the gun issue when they run for president. For John Kerry during 2004, it was awkwardly posing in brand new hunting gear at a seemingly endless series of hunting photo-ops. But in what will probably be the most improbable change, the Politico reported on Saturday that Barack Obama was making a big play for gun votes in Pennsylvania. It is not particularly surprising that this change is occurring with the crucial Pennsylvania primary soon approaching.

With about one million of the country's 12.5 million hunters, Pennsylvania is number one in the nation in the amount of time its citizens spend hunting. With about 600,000 people with permits to carry concealed handguns, Pennsylvania also has more permit holders than any other state.

Others, such as Jim Kessler, vice president for policy with Third Way, a progressive think tank, view Obama as starting to position himself for the general election.

Yet, it should be a hard sell.

Obama has consistently supported gun control legislation that came up while he was in the Illinois state legislature and the U.S. Senate.

For example, when Obama ran for the Illinois state senate the political group, Independent Voters of Illinois (IVI), asked him if he supported a "ban [on] the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns" and he responded "yes."

Realizing how damaging this could prove in the general election, his presidential campaign "flatly denied" Obama ever held this view, blaming it instead on a staffer from his state senate race.

But then IVI provided Politico the questionnaire with Obama's own handwritten notes revising another answer. Members of IVI's board of directors, some of whom have worked on Obama's past campaigns, told Politico that "I always believed those to be his views, what he really believes in, and he's tailoring it now to make himself more palatable as a nationwide candidate."

But the IVI questionnaire isn't the only one out there.

In 1998, another questionnaire administered by IL State Legislative National Political Awareness Test didn't ask about banning all handguns, but it did find that Obama wanted to "ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons."

Indeed, such a ban would outlaw virtually all handguns and the vast majority of rifles sold in the United States.

In addition, from 1998 to 2001, Obama was on the board of directors for the Joyce Foundation, which funded such anti-gun groups as the Violence Policy Center, the Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence, and Handgun Free America. Both the Violence Policy Center and Handgun Free America, as its name suggests, are in favor of a complete ban on handguns. During his tenure on the board, the Joyce Foundation was probably the major funder of pro-control research in the United States.

In fact, I knew Obama during the mid-1990s, and his answers to IVI's question on guns fit well with the Obama that I knew. Indeed, the first time I introduced myself to him he said "Oh, you are the gun guy."

I responded "Yes, I guess so." He simply responded that "I don't believe that people should be able to own guns."

When I said it might be fun to talk about the question sometime and about his support of the city of Chicago's lawsuit against the gun makers, he simply grimaced and turned away, ending the conversation.

If taken literally, Obama's statement to me was closer to what the IL State Legislative National Political Awareness Test found, indicating that Obama's bans would extend well beyond handguns.

Obama also opposes the current laws in 48 states that let citizens carry concealed handguns for protection claiming, despite all the academic studies to the contrary, that "I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during) altercations."

Even Hillary Clinton disagrees with him on this.

The Obama campaign's strategy largely follows 2003 surveys produced by Democratic pollster Mark Penn showing that if Democrats didn't show "respect for the 2nd Amendment and support gun safety," voters would presume that they were anti-gun. "The formula for Democrats," according to Penn, "is to say that they support the 2nd Amendment, but that they want tough laws that close loopholes. This is something [Democrats] can run on and win on."

It was the same strategy that all the Democratic presidential candidates seemed to follow in 2004.

Earlier this year, Karlyn Bowman at the American Enterprise Institute said: "The Clinton and Obama campaigns know the public opinion data on the issue well. . . . the right to be able to own a gun seems to be firmly held, and I think that's why both candidates say what they say."

In practice, saying that Obama now believes that the Second Amendment means that there is an individual right to own guns doesn't mean anything if it can't even prevent guns from being banned. And even today, despite the pressure from the Pennsylvania primary, Obama is unwilling to state that DC's or Chicago's ban on guns are unconstitutional.

Obama's website only recognizes two legitimate purposes for civilian ownership of guns: "hunting and target shooting." The notion that people might want to protect themselves when the police are not around isn't something that he sees as legitimate.

On both his Iraq and trade policies, Obama has already faced the embarrassing situations where his top advisors have had to tell people in other countries not to worry because he doesn't believe what he is telling American voters.

With guns, it sure looks like Obama is again telling voters what they want to hear, not what he plans on doing.

*John Lott, is the author of "Freedomnomics" and a senior research scientist at the University of Maryland.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c...l#ixzz1sDXZwt6E

=======================================================

Link
On March 30, the 30th anniversary of the assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan, Jim Brady, who sustained a debilitating head wound in the attack, and his wife, Sarah, came to Capitol Hill to push for a ban on the controversial "large magazines." Brady, for whom the law requiring background checks on handgun purchasers is named, then met with White House press secretary Jay Carney. During the meeting, President Obama dropped in and, according to Sarah Brady, brought up the issue of gun control, "to fill us in that it was very much on his agenda," she said.

"I just want you to know that we are working on it," Brady recalled the president telling them. "We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar."

=======================================================

#24 kurt555gs

• Members
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

I am not an Obama supporter. I was just saying that he will get Illinois electoral votes no matter what, and voting in the presidential race is pointless unless you live in FL, OH, our PA. Your presidential vote in Illinois counts for nothing.

Kurt on G+

#25 Buzzard

• Members
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

I am not an Obama supporter. I was just saying that he will get Illinois electoral votes no matter what, and voting in the presidential race is pointless unless you live in FL, OH, our PA. Your presidential vote in Illinois counts for nothing.

Thank you for the clarification! I was beginning to think you were an Obama supporter! :shocked:

You're entitled to your opinion that all is hopeless, but I refuse to surrender! As I said, Illinois' delegates have not always voted Democratic. Back in the Reagan days Illinois was leaning slightly to the right and Reagan captured Illinois' 24 delegates votes in the 1984 election.

#26 stm

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:51 PM

I would rather vote for a moderate who is trying to convince me he is my friend, than a liberal who is trying to convince me he is not my enemy.

yea everyone makes fun of the redneck till the zombies show up. . .

#27 Buzzard

• Members
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

I would rather vote for a moderate who is trying to convince me he is my friend, than a liberal who is trying to convince me he is not my enemy.

Well put!!

#28 ishmo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

Lol Very well put friend. I just hope enough people see things the way you do come November.

#29 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Supporting Members Team
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

This is all the reason I need to know who to vote for...

Posted Image

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
Utah Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Have all boated who fish? Have all boated who fish?

#30 sctman800

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:23 AM

My memory is not the best but I am thinking a few years ago our wonderful and wise Illinois legislatures voted to change the way the degelates in the presidential election are awarded. IIRC they voted away our state sovernity and our state's electoral votes now are to go to the presidential canidate that gets the majority of the votes nationwide. I personally do not care to change the electoral college system but if this is true wouldn't it be funny if Romney wins with the majority and Illinois delegate votes go to him. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this. Thanks,Jim.
Kristofferson wrote it and Janis sang it "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."