Photo

Shepard update 4/13

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#1 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

The state filed a motion to stay Shepard pending Moore at the appellate level. We objected to it. I just received word the state's motion was denied. Additionally, We filed a motion to have the two cases combined and it was granted we will now be heard with Moore we have filed our brief in the appeal and await the state's response

Good news all the way around

Now back to my regularlly scheduled vacation. . .
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

#2 Gunslinger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Awesome! First good news this side of the Mississippi in a while.
The Second Amendment IS my concealed weapons permit.... Period!-Ted Nugent

Example of Combat Logic:

Marine #1-"You can't just add zeros to the end of a 6 digit grid to make a 10 digit...."
Marine #2-"Sure you can, the GPS accepted it and now we are on our way!"

#3 scough

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

The state filed a motion to stay Shepard pending Moore at the appellate level. We objected to it. I just received word the state's motion was denied. Additionally, We filed a motion to have the two cases combined and it was granted we will now be heard with Moore we have filed our brief in the appeal and await the state's response

Good news all the way around

Now back to my regularlly scheduled vacation. . .

I have no idea what this means, but nice to see a little good news for a change...

#4 TyGuy

• Supporting Members Team
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

I have no idea what this means, but nice to see a little good news for a change...

+1 Not a lawyer either, but if Todd's happy then I'm happy.

Why does combining the cases help? Anyone, anyone? Bueller?
ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread

#5 willxjcherokee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

My unlawyer brain doesn't understand but I'm happy if Todd is happy!

#6 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

Denying the states motion means we dont get put on hold

Combining the cases means they will be heard together with devided time at orals more than likely

It also means that despite the lateness of our ruling we are not behind Moore we are starting at the appellate level at the same time neither case is in front of the other. A ruling on either will be a ruling for both and we are closer to SCOTUS no matter who looses there will be an appeal unless we were to win the appeal and the AG decided not to fight it any longer
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

#7 TyGuy

• 7,913 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the advantage to us of combining the cases?
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

#8 willxjcherokee

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the advantage to us of combining the cases?

Seems like one ruling decides the other. Since they go at same time.

#9 TyGuy

• 7,913 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Wouldn't that be putting all of our cartridges in one magazine (or eggs in basket)?
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

#10 TyGuy

• 7,913 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

I'm not saying that it's the RIGHT call. I'm saying that I don't understand the law so I don't know why this is a good or bad thing. It's a question out of ignorance not out of debate.
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

#11 TyGuy

• 7,913 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

I can't find the edit button. That should read:

I'm not saying that it's not the RIGHT call. I'm saying that I don't understand the law so I don't know why this is a good or bad thing. It's a question out of ignorance not out of debate.
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

#12 wilessiuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

Wouldn't that be putting all of our cartridges in one magazine (or eggs in basket)?

Both cases are getting appealed to the same court (7th Circuit Court of Appeals), so it makes logistical sense to combine them. Same issue(s) in both cases, same judges deciding both, so they might as well hear them together.
"To Disarm The People - That Was The Best And Most Effectual Way To Enslave Them" - George Mason

ONE STATE - ONE LAW

#13 GarandFan

• Members
  • 11,650 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

A ruling on either will be a ruling for both and we are closer to SCOTUS no matter who looses there will be an appeal unless we were to win the appeal and the AG decided not to fight it any longer

And the question that shall eventually end up at the Supreme Court is this:

Does "the right of the people to keep and bear arms", as stated in the constitution, mean that "the people have the right to bear arms?" Remember ... the "keep" part of the guarantee has now (finally) been affirmed. Next up is affirmation of the "bear" part of the guarantee. Heller made it clear that the second amendment protects two rights ... the right to keep, and the right to bear, arms.
"It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place."
Lewis Carroll, 1872

#14 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Actually, does thw right to bear arms extend outside one's home and into public places.

As to why this is good, some feel that Mary Shepard is a better platiff with a better set of facts. More sympathetic in the eyes of the court

#15 sirflyguy

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

A ruling on either will be a ruling for both and we are closer to SCOTUS no matter who looses there will be an appeal unless we were to win the appeal and the AG decided not to fight it any longer

And the question that shall eventually end up at the Supreme Court is this:

Does "the right of the people to keep and bear arms", as stated in the constitution, mean that "the people have the right to bear arms?" Remember ... the "keep" part of the guarantee has now (finally) been affirmed. Next up is affirmation of the "bear" part of the guarantee. Heller made it clear that the second amendment protects two rights ... the right to keep, and the right to bear, arms.

Which is why this upcoming election is SO crucial.
Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor
IL FCCA Approved Instructor

#16 TyGuy

• 7,913 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

What election?
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

#17 dmefford

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

This is a really good deal... The cases are similar issues with the defendant, Madigan, the same in both cases.

You must realize a lot can hang on this. If the 7th reaches out to remove a complete ban on the public carry arms, similar to North Carolina, Maryland and couple other cases last month there is the potential real explosive decompression of the Chicago Machine's bubbles and power..... Almost makes you drool to dream about that... However coming back to reality we will just have to wait and see what transpires....... Some real possibilities though...

Regards, Drd
Visit my Blog: "Shall Not Be Infringed"

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
--Thomas Jefferson to I. Tiffany, 1819

#18 drdoom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

This is a really good deal... The cases are similar issues with the defendant, Madigan, the same in both cases.

You must realize a lot can hang on this. If the 7th reaches out to remove a complete ban on the public carry arms, similar to North Carolina, Maryland and couple other cases last month there is the potential real explosive decompression of the Chicago Machine's bubbles and power..... Almost makes you drool to dream about that... However coming back to reality we will just have to wait and see what transpires....... Some real possibilities though...

Regards, Drd

Can you picture it now? A hot summer day on the magnificent mile, open-carrying your choice of revolver or auto and the criminal aldermen having nothing to do about it?

#19 Mark C.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

I feel that this is the best case scenario. There is no need to argue 2 cases in the same circuit. If there are 2 in CA7, putting SAF legal expertise with the very sympathetic plaintiff of Ms Sheppard seems like a Perfect Storm! I'm positive with this as well.

The penultimate goal is a persuasive Circuit Split for SCOTUS.
Mark C.
Pax River, MD

#20 willxjcherokee

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

This could make madiganistan fall.
WOO
I am sitting here reading and practicing mag changes on my AR while my lady is getting ready to go out.

#21 JackTripper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Issue that is being overlooked here, is that the SAF lawyers & the NRA lawyers don't really get along.
Hopefully they can bury the hatchet.
Come and knock on my door. I'll be waiting for you.

#22 laststate2havecarry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

What is the anticipated time-line for the consolidated case as it moves forward?
Meaning.... how long before the case is heard?
How long before we have a ruling?
How does this proceed from here?
If we lose at the 7th Circuit level, I know we would appeal, so long as the current SCOTUS remained.
If Chicago/Illinois loses do you think they would push it to SCOTUS or just let it go, since Illinois is the only state with this problem?

#23 TyGuy

• 7,913 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Court case time line, sometime before 2038.
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

#24 wilessiuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

My guess is a decision from the 7th in 2014, and case is appealed to SCOTUS no matter who prevails.
"To Disarm The People - That Was The Best And Most Effectual Way To Enslave Them" - George Mason

ONE STATE - ONE LAW

#25 Satatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

How long have "they" been saying to just wait patiently and saying maybe next week yadda yadda, like 40 years?

#26 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

Both SAF and NRA have filed their briefs. Now we will see how incompetent the AGs attorneys are. They took for ever answering the complainta and asked for more time. But they were quick to file a notice of supplimental authority when another case in another state went their way.

Will know more monday

#27 Sigma

• 2,533 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

Remember the 7th circuit gave us ezell and put the smack down on chicago. "too cute by half
Exodus 22:2-3
If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed.

Gun control is not about guns, it's about control. Once they have all the guns, they'll also have complete control.-Abolt

Guns kill people just like beds get girls pregnant.

#28 05FLHT

TCB.

• 1,196 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

The Shepard opening brief was posted on MdShooter by Al Norris -

The Sheppard opening brief is attached. Just got it and haven't read it.

http://www.mdshooter...?t=57917&page=5

Attached File  12-Sheppard Opening Brief.pdf   1.06MB   212 downloads
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
IL Concealed Carry Firearm Instructor

#29 junglebob

• 4,771 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

What election?

You're kidding of course. But for those in total seclusion without internet, radio, tv, newspaper or contact with individuals in the outside world, this November is the presidential election. The president nominates supreme court judges to fill vacancies that occur.
Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Remember the 1991 Luby Cafeteria Massacre of the Unarmed (Kileen, Texas before Texas Concealed Carry) Do we need 23 people to die in a similar incident before we're allowed effective self defense?

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#30 TyGuy

• 7,913 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

I was totaly kidding. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!