Photo

Shepard update 4/13

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#61 FAL

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

I found this part well-written and articulate.

Limiting Second Amendment rights to the home would effectively
read the term “bear” out of the Constitution. The explicit guarantee of the
right to “bear” arms would mean little if it did not protect the right to
“bear” arms outside of the home where they are “kept.” The most fundamental
canons of construction forbid any interpretation that would relegate
this language to the status of meaningless surplus. See, e.g., Wright v. United
States, 302 U.S. 583, 588 (1938). The courts are not free to ignore the
Second Amendment’s unmistakable distinction between the people’s right
of “keeping” arms and “bearing” them.

NRA Life Member / ISRA Member

#62 chicago guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

Maybe he needs to be reminded that the same sentiment applies to lots of politicians and judges and governors also!

#63 C0untZer0

• Supporting Members Team
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Is the reason that the NRA didn't site Wollard as authority because they were waiting on ruling on the stay?

And is the NRA going to allow Gura to take the lead on this now?
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

#64 bob

• Members
  • 5,151 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

And is the NRA going to allow Gura to take the lead on this now?

You joke, right? You do understand the NRA does things for its own reasons. Often they are not easy to fathom.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

The opinions expressed by this poster do not reflect the official stance of Illinois Carry. Apparently there was some confusion on the part of at least one person that it does, and I want to make things clear that my opinion is my own and that whatever the official stance of IC is or is not at present, it may or may not reflect my own opinion.

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

#65 JackTripper

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Bob hit the nail on the head. There is a lot of bad blood between these two groups. I imagine that some very stressful conversations are going on right now.
Come and knock on my door. I'll be waiting for you.

#66 GarandFan

• Members
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Well ... they can worry about that, right? We don't have to worry about it here.
"It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place."
Lewis Carroll, 1872

#67 JackTripper

• Members
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

Well ... they can worry about that, right? We don't have to worry about it here.

Very true. I'll take their combined worst day in front of a judge over the government lawyer idiots that usually get fielded against the cause.
Come and knock on my door. I'll be waiting for you.

#68 dmefford

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

Citrix ... I am totally with you in regard to thoughts and feelings about the state of Illinois and their view of us. It's the kind of utter, blatant disrespect that makes one consider whether it's time for torches and pitchforks and storming the castle and all that.

I would recommend this revision.....

I am totally with you in regard to thoughts and feelings about the state of Illinois Chicago Machine and their view of us. It's the kind of utter, blatant disrespect that makes one consider whether it's time for torches and pitchforks and storming the castle and all that.

Our enemy with complete and total disregard of the People, is the Chicago Machine! They are ruling Illinois with an Iron Fist and spending our state into bankruptcy and driving out good businesses. They are the ENEMY!

Regards, Drd
Visit my Blog: "Shall Not Be Infringed"

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
--Thomas Jefferson to I. Tiffany, 1819

#69 TomKoz

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Agreed. Let's make Chicago the 51st State !
Stay Alert ... Stay Alive !!

#70 snubjob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:03 AM

Bob hit the nail on the head. There is a lot of bad blood between these two groups. I imagine that some very stressful conversations are going on right now.

Yep. The two groups have very different views on how to pursue their agendas. [Our agendas]. This is much the same as the different views on this forum as to how to achieve our goals.

#71 snubjob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

Madigan won't even let that one out of committee. I think more and more people are finally realizing the strength of the chicago machine. They have the final say on everything that concerns the whole state. Period. Downstate legislators could band together and overcome this, but it would cost them quite a bit of "Political capital". Now, how do we convince them that they need to do this?

Edited by snubjob, 17 April 2012 - 04:14 AM.

#72 FAL

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Madigan won't even let that one out of committee. I think more and more people are finally realizing the strength of the chicago machine. They have the final say on everything that concerns the whole state. Period. Downstate legislators could band together and overcome this, but it would cost them quite a bit of "Political capital". Now, how do we convince them that they need to do this?

What typically happens is downstate legislators campaign against the Chicago machine, but when they are elected, they cut deals and compromise with the machine they ran against. I think the voters are starting to wake up to that, however, making it tougher for the machine to continue to control the entire state. People have had enough of the Chicago machine way... I hope that legislators wake up to the reality that if the state continues to be run by Chicago, it will be run into the ground.
NRA Life Member / ISRA Member

#73 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 4,947 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

What typically happens is downstate legislators campaign against the Chicago machine, but when they are elected, they cut deals and compromise with the machine they ran against. I think the voters are starting to wake up to that, however, making it tougher for the machine to continue to control the entire state. People have had enough of the Chicago machine way... I hope that legislators wake up to the reality that if the state continues to be run by Chicago, it will be run into the ground.

really? the people of my district just elected someone from outside our district funded by a Chicago rep to run against Eddy. Luckily I think we are ok on 2A issues with him, but still Not everyone realizes we are up against the machine in every election no matter what district we are in.
"A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but its persistence." - Jim Watkins

Comment on this thread for a chance to win a Glock and a pizza http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=51095

#74 bob

• Members
  • 5,151 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

We are about as run into the ground as it gets already. Just becasue the state has not completely collapsed yet does not mean it is not teetering on the edge of doing so.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

The opinions expressed by this poster do not reflect the official stance of Illinois Carry. Apparently there was some confusion on the part of at least one person that it does, and I want to make things clear that my opinion is my own and that whatever the official stance of IC is or is not at present, it may or may not reflect my own opinion.

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

#75 miztic

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

The brief was a great read, thanks for posting that. It completely shredded any argument the anti-gun types can make..
kind of cool to watch history unfold (slowly).

What happens if the 7th circuit grants the injunction against UUW/AUUW and the other side appeals, does that stay the injunction?

IC / SAF / ISRA / NRA / GRAA Member
Anywhere you are able to carry a pen you should be able to carry a sidearm.

They hate guns so much, they are willing to risk the lives of large crowds and children to feel better with their 'gun free' zones.

#76 Gray Peterson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

The brief was a great read, thanks for posting that. It completely shredded any argument the anti-gun types can make..

What happens if the 7th circuit grants the injunction against UUW/AUUW and the other side appeals, does that stay the injunction?

No it does not automatically stay. Wait for an all clear from Todd first.

#77 Bud

• Members
  • 7,018 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

and when/if that happens, I will post a video of me doing my happy dance on YouTubePosted Image

Edited by Bud, 18 April 2012 - 03:27 PM.

Bud

Dico Tibi Verum, Libertas Optima Rerum Nunquam Servili Sub Nexu Vivito, Fili.

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#78 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 10,869 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

and when/if that happens, I will post a video of me doing my happy dance on YouTubePosted Image

Owweee owweeee. The thought of that hurts my brain....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#79 Hatchet

• 2,173 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

Posted Image
"Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

#80 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

Bud please keep your clothes on
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

#81 miztic

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

I for one support this :)

IC / SAF / ISRA / NRA / GRAA Member
Anywhere you are able to carry a pen you should be able to carry a sidearm.

They hate guns so much, they are willing to risk the lives of large crowds and children to feel better with their 'gun free' zones.

#82 stm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Bud please keep your clothes on

+ 1,000,000!

yea everyone makes fun of the redneck till the zombies show up. . .