Photo

Man savagely beaten in Baltimore

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 ChiShooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

And here's the case why you'd need CC:

http://www.cnn.com/v...n-baltimore.cnn

Also I wonder if there will be any claims that this was a hate crime considering that the victim was white. I doubt it - it only works the other way around.

Edited by ChiShooter, 10 April 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#2 Scots

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

This is a bit different, however. There was alcohol involved in a big way - the guy who got beaten was very drunk. If he had been a CCW holder and had his gun, it would have been very bad for us.
NRA Life Member, SAF Life Member, ISRA Member

#3 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

And if he was sober and in the same exact position but anable to carry, like in Illinois, he could be dead. What if Trayvon wasn't wearing a hood? What if Zimmerman never called 911. The bottom line is this guy shouldn't have gotten dropped on the sidewalk like he did.
...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#4 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

double tap

Edited by Jeffrey, 10 April 2012 - 01:53 PM.

...and justice for all

#5 hunterdale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

Obviously a hate crime. No reason for that kind of activity. From a race of people that always talk about respect, respect is earned not given. Hard to respect people when they treat others so badly.

#6 Hossua

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

Obviously a hate crime. No reason for that kind of activity. From a race of people that always talk about respect, respect is earned not given. Hard to respect people when they treat others so badly.

It isn't a hate crime. Just a crime. There is no such thing as a hate crime.

#7 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• 9,276 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

First, 'Hate' in this context is an adverb. It modifies the noun, 'crime'. Of course it is not a crime, it describes 'why' and 'how' the crime happened.

Second, 'Hate Crime' laws are indeed problematic as they border on 'thought crime'. However, they were useful in the 'Mississippi Burning' days when local law enforcement and judiciary were either passively or actively involved in some very extreme violations of civil rights, up to and including murder.

Perhaps there could have been a better way for the Federal Government to protect the civil rights of the powerless in those situations.

It is my opinion that Federal Hate Crime laws should not come into play if the local and State laws are serving their purpose.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#8 BigJim

• Members
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

Found this on Drudge...

Baltimore's police chief today said that the videotaped beating of a white tourist does not appear to be a hate crime, but rather "drunken opportunistic criminality" on the part of a gang of Charm City assailants.

Big Jim
-----------------------------------------
I will not be commanded,
I will not be controlled
And I will not let my future go on,
without the help of my soul

The Lost Boy - Greg Holden

#9 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

Did Holder tell the chief that?
...and justice for all

#10 highspeed

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Got to be a hoax!! People don`t get beaten, only shot by evil guns!!!:headbang1:

#11 Jeff Johnson

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

Not every criminal act can be avoided but drunk on the street with a gang of n'er-do-wells is a situation I try to avoid. There's trouble, and then there's asking for trouble.

#12 Hossua

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

First, 'Hate' in this context is an adverb. It modifies the noun, 'crime'. Of course it is not a crime, it describes 'why' and 'how' the crime happened.

Second, 'Hate Crime' laws are indeed problematic as they border on 'thought crime'. However, they were useful in the 'Mississippi Burning' days when local law enforcement and judiciary were either passively or actively involved in some very extreme violations of civil rights, up to and including murder.

Perhaps there could have been a better way for the Federal Government to protect the civil rights of the powerless in those situations.

It is my opinion that Federal Hate Crime laws should not come into play if the local and State laws are serving their purpose.

Oh, I get it. I just don't believe the reason someone is targeted for a crime really has any bearing on the crime itself.
Also, I don't believe this was a racially motivated crime. Could have been, but I can't make that determination from the video I watched. Just looked like a bunch of idiots shaking down a drunken tourist.

Edited by Hossua, 11 April 2012 - 07:13 PM.

#13 TFC

• Members
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:05 PM

No hate crime occurred. Just drunk a-holes fighting.

Edited by TFC, 11 April 2012 - 08:06 PM.

~If you speak of a gun as a toy, then you see medical waste as playground filler. Yes, it means you're a screwed up individual.~
~"An invasion of mainland America is unwise. Behind every blade of grass a rifle would await us"
-Yamamoto Isoroku
I predicted that Chicago/Cook county will be sold out in order to get "shall issue".
Based on the restrictions on carry in Chicago/Cook County, I was right.

...doing just enough to keep them out of Federal Court...