Photo

.22LR conversion kit?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Tompo

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

Does anyone have any experience with a .22LR conversion kit for an AR?

I've seen a few different brands/manufactures out there, but I was curious to see which, if any, is worth the money. I know Stag makes one and Brownell's has them listed.
Any others that really work--and not cause stovepipes and jams?

I'd like to be able to shoot the cheaper .22LR in my AR, instead of the 556/223.
Anything to make my shooting dollars go farther.

#2 willxjcherokee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

The CMMG kit is very nice and they even sell it at bass proshop. Get the stainless one its a lot easier to clean. :headbang1: It works well just dirty

Edited by willxjcherokee, 04 April 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#3 lieut89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

I have the CMMG and I can say that I am not sorry that I bought it.

#4 pyre400

Political opinions expressed are always my own.

• Admin
  • 7,728 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

There are several offerings from CMMG. They have a really nice one that supports bolt hold open via bolt catch (model - I) http://www.cmmginc.c...es/catalog.html

They also have one (like the one I got) that is the model A, which uses the mag follower to hold the bolt open. The best price on the model "A" seems to be at CDNNinvestments.

I've put many "o" boxes of 22 through mine. I always save a box of 223/556 at the end of any long sessions to clear anything out - I've never had a single issue, other than the usual sore thumbs from loading 27 rd mags (over and over and over).

#5 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• Supporting Members Team
  • 10,813 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

I've seen a few different brands/manufactures out there, but I was curious to see which, if any, is worth the money. I know Stag makes one and Brownell's has them listed.

I'd like to be able to shoot the cheaper .22LR in my AR, instead of the 556/223.

I have the CMMG kit and it works well in my Bushy. The POA is lower and I'm hesitant to change my zero but it sure is a lot of fun and cheaper too.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#6 willxjcherokee

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

I have the CMMG kit and it works well in my Bushy. The POA is lower and I'm hesitant to change my zero but it sure is a lot of fun and cheaper too.

Yeah its a bit lower , i never change my zero I just hold over and forget it :headbang1:

#7 sfdoc5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

I also have the CMMG version.
Once I "tuned" it to my rifle I have not had a bit of trouble.
You might ask what do I mean by "tune".... I hand polished bolt and rails.
I still run it a little wet.
I also will run a few 5.56 through at the end of the day to clear any fouling out of the gas tube.

I would also recommend to get a few extra magazines.
They are a pain to load and you will shoot alot!!!!!
:headbang1:

#8 TyGuy

• 10,598 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

I had one and sold it. I'd rather just get the Mossberg 22lr AR-15 for $275. I found the change in point of impact unacceptable between my 5.56/.223 and 22 rounds, but that's just me.

ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread ---- Daily Deals Thread

#9 Tompo

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

Ok...it's seems like CMMG is the ticket! Thanks!

I'll check out bass pro and CDNN,and see which one has the best price.

#10 Jeckler

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

I had one and sold it. I'd rather just get the Mossberg 22lr AR-15 for $275. I found the change in point of impact unacceptable between my 5.56/.223 and 22 rounds, but that's just me.

I picked up the Mossberg AR 22LR for $175 new at Gander Mtn two Thanksgivings ago. You can find them for around $200 on sale.

I prefer the idea of a dedicated 22. That way I don't have to fuss with changing, losing pins, adjusting my sights, etc. The conversion kit will cost nearly as much...

#11 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

I have a Chiappa dedicated upper I got new for 200. Runs great.
...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#12 Tompo

• Members
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

I picked up the Mossberg AR 22LR for $175 new at Gander Mtn two Thanksgivings ago. You can find them for around $200 on sale.

I prefer the idea of a dedicated 22. That way I don't have to fuss with changing, losing pins, adjusting my sights, etc. The conversion kit will cost nearly as much...

Now that's not a bad idea. The conversion kit can cost nearly $180. For slightly more, I can get a dedicated AR .22lr.

I'll have to watch for sales...

#13 TyGuy

• 10,598 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

That's what I ended up doing.

NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread ---- Daily Deals Thread

#14 vstar

• 634 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

CMMG conversion kit on sale at Botach for 150.00 free shipping, not tax....

#15 rott

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

I went with a dedicated upper...love it and recommend it! No problems with sights or fouling at all and has the EXACT same feel as the real thing.

#16 sleepercaprice1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

I won a CMMG conversion kit at a match and have probably put about 1000 rounds through it. It's been 100% reliable, but the bore diameter and twist rate of .223/5.56 rifles is not ideal for .22RF so accuracy is less than what I would like to see. If I planned to use it as a dedicated .22, I would probably buy a rifle designed from the ground up as a .22RF.

#17 TyGuy

• 10,598 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

I won a CMMG conversion kit at a match and have probably put about 1000 rounds through it. It's been 100% reliable, but the bore diameter and twist rate of .223/5.56 rifles is not ideal for .22RF so accuracy is less than what I would like to see. If I planned to use it as a dedicated .22, I would probably buy a rifle designed from the ground up as a .22RF.

That is what I found with mine too. That and the point of impact changed, so you'd have to sight in every time you switched. I sold my conversion kit and bought a dedicated 22lr tacticool rifle.

This one:
Posted Image

NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

#18 pyre400

• Admin
  • 7,728 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

Pretty cool - reminds me of an HK UMP

#19 TyGuy

• 10,598 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

It's a 22lr version of the H&K G36, so that makes sense.

NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

#20 TyGuy

• 10,598 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

When you figure a conversion kit is $200+ and a Mossberg AR-15 22lr clone is about $260 I'd suggest spending the extra money and get a dedicated 22lr. Just my $0.02.

NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

#21 pyre400

• Admin
  • 7,728 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

It's a 22lr version of the H&K G36, so that makes sense.

Oh, neat. I guess I'd always thought the g36 had a higher rise on the carry handle, but its clear after a google that there are many variants.

Is that gun of yours a GSG? Or is it at stock kit for a 10/22? I may add that one to my watch list.

Thanks for posting that.

#22 TyGuy

• 10,598 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

Ruger 10/22 conversion. I am not a fan of the 10/22, but it does have a great accessories market.

http://www.promagind...t-p/aam1022.htm

I got it from MidwayUSA when it was on sale.

http://www.midwayusa...synthetic-black

NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

#23 pyre400

• Admin
  • 7,728 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

Nice - I may pick one up. Thanks again

#24 TyGuy

• 10,598 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

It's hella fun. The stock swings closed.

Posted Image

NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

#25 Lastmaninzombiewar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

I actually have both. I bought a CMMG drop in kit first for my AR. After break in it runs well. It does prefer the heavier 40 grain 22 rounds. I did notice the zero change. Not much but it does. Run it wet it's better that way. Anal and never satisfied I built a complete 22 ar using a spikes tactical upper. Added some magpul furniture and a solid little red dot and it's a plinking monster. It's good enough that I sold my tricked out ruger 10/22. Was thinking about selling the CMMG kit. If you are local I could let you try it out to see if it is worth buying one yourself .ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339771807.483457.jpg

http://lastmaninzomb...r.wordpress.com