Photo

Fletcher v Haas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• 9,279 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

From Volokh.com

"...holds that the ban violates the Second Amendment because “permanent resident aliens are among ‘the people’ for whom the Second Amendment the United States Constitution provides a right to bear arms.”

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#2 GarandFan

• Members
  • 11,727 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

Another one bites the dust.
"It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place."
Lewis Carroll, 1872

#3 Davey

• Members
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

Good stuffs.

#4 dmefford

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

(Ooops thought I had breaking news... but someone beat me to it... Thanks for moving this...)

I will try to get more details.... Regards, Drd.

SAF Wins 2A Case in Massachusetts

BELLEVUE, WA - A Federal District Court Judge in Massachusetts has granted summary judgment in a Second Amendment Foundation case challenging that state's denial of firearms licenses to permanent resident aliens.

U.S. District Court Judge Douglas P. Woodcock concluded that "the Massachusetts firearms regulatory regime as applied to the individual plaintiffs, contravenes the Second Amendment."

The case involves two Massachusetts residents, Christopher Fletcher and Eoin Pryal, whose applications for licenses to possess firearms in their homes for immediate self-defense purposes were denied under a state law that does not allow non-citizens to own handguns. SAF was joined in the case by Commonwealth Second Amendment, Inc. and the two individual plaintiffs. The case is Fletcher v. Haas. MORE

Edited by dmefford, 02 April 2012 - 11:34 AM.

Visit my Blog: "Shall Not Be Infringed"

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
--Thomas Jefferson to I. Tiffany, 1819

#5 dmefford

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

I like Federal Farmer's description of the North Carolina case.... "Another domino falls."

Regards, Drd

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

#6 wilessiuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

How is it that a Judge in perhaps the most liberal State gets it, but a Reagan appointee to our State does not?!?
"To Disarm The People - That Was The Best And Most Effectual Way To Enslave Them" - George Mason

ONE STATE - ONE LAW

#7 GarandFan

• Members
  • 11,727 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

Random luck (or bad luck) of the draw.
"It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place."
Lewis Carroll, 1872

#8 dmefford

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Random luck (or bad luck) of the draw.

I don't think that is it... It takes two things for a judge to come up with the correct decision in these cases... 1. is Research and 2. is Guts enough to buck the Chicago Machine....

Regards, Dr. Dan

#9 miztic

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

I'm curious, how does the chicago machine influence judges? does it hurt their re-election?

IC / SAF / ISRA / NRA / GRAA Member
Anywhere you are able to carry a pen you should be able to carry a sidearm.

They hate guns so much, they are willing to risk the lives of large crowds and children to feel better with their 'gun free' zones.

#10 TFC

• Members
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

I'm curious, how does the chicago machine influence judges? does it hurt their re-election?

No. It helps them immensely by funneling money to their campaigns. They also are usually former lawyers and consultants to city connected law firms (The ones that the city contracts to represent the city in civil cases.) The web of corruption in Chicago/C®ook county is quite tangled. And filled with dirty little spiders.

The Democratic organization have their minions vote for them. Most people don't pay attention to judicial races, even though they have more of an impact on their lives that they will ever realize. I ruffle lots of feathers when I tell those who ask that I don't vote for machine judges.
~If you speak of a gun as a toy, then you see medical waste as playground filler. Yes, it means you're a screwed up individual.~
~"An invasion of mainland America is unwise. Behind every blade of grass a rifle would await us"
-Yamamoto Isoroku
I predicted that Chicago/Cook county will be sold out in order to get "shall issue".
Based on the restrictions on carry in Chicago/Cook County, I was right.

...doing just enough to keep them out of Federal Court...

#11 dmefford

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

It takes a world of GUTS to stand up to the what ever powers that be it you might overturn potentially whole state laws that have been established for years.... It takes GUTS! You already know that you will be vilified denigrated cussed and discussed by the movers and shakers of the State of Illinoisistan.... That is the Chicago Machine!

It doesn't seem to bother judges to go with flow and just cave in to the so called honchos. It will help if they get three judges who think alike at the 7th... At least they can get a consensus and go from there...

Regards, Drd