Photo

What's your *carry gun?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

#1 kurt555gs

• Members
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

I have been lucky enough to work part time in Texas for the last couple of years. I have also traveled extensively around the country as well. I have a pretty good selection of pistols in my safe to choose from for my carry piece, but I have one, that may actually be surprising to many here that is my day to day *carry work horse.

I love big bore revolvers, but *carrying one all day in urban areas is actually impossible. I also have some very nice automatics like the Kimber Super Carry Pro .45, or my FN FiveseveN. *Carrying those would be OK, until I found in a traffic stop that I had unknowingly broken some obscure Oklahoma firearms law and have it confiscated. I also have some good service grade automatics and even a tiny .380.

No, when I can *carry every day I have ended up with a Ruger LCR .38 with a Tritium front sight, and a Simply Rugged Pancake holster. I also have an LCR with a Laser but I don't really like it. This combination is light, reliable, and with the pancake OWB holster virtually unnoticeable through clothing. In Texas, that is a big deal because you will be arrested if your *carry piece shows through. They call that "printing". So, light, reliable, concealable, and comfortable in the long run points to my LCR.

How about you?

Posted Image

* Outside of Illinois, or unloaded and enclosed in a case within Illinois.

Edited by kurt555gs, 24 March 2012 - 08:20 AM.

Kurt on G+

#2 sirflyguy

• Members
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

My holsters (a CompTac Minotaur and a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe) fit all of my Springfield XDMs (except for my XDM45) and my Sig P229 SAS. I have carried them all. Lately, I have carried my latest acquisition, a Springfield XD40sc that I bought used -and it was barely used; like new, really!- from a friend. It is my "camera bag" gun here in IL and is just handy to grab, so it has been going with me when I go out of state. They all carry very comfortably with those holsters and a decent belt. I haven't invested in a nice carry belt yet, but found a Dickies leather work belt at Walmart for about $12.00 that has worked just fine.
Here is a pic with the Crossbreed, which I find a bit more comfy than the Minotaur. Both holsters are great, though.
Posted Image

Edited by sirflyguy, 24 March 2012 - 09:03 AM.

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

NRA-Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor 

NRA-Certified Range Safety Officer

IL FCCA Approved Instructor

#3 richp

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

Hi,

I prefer my Glock 26. For comfort and convenience, a Ruger LCP often gets the nod. I also sometimes carry a stainless J-frame Smith. However the Glock has twice the capacity of either, without a reload. And if I may be going into no-laser jurisdictions, the LCP is out anyway.

I used to carry a HK P-7, which I still have and love dearly. It's a very thin, sort of expensive 9mm with grip cocker that makes it really safe, a low bore axis for quick reacquisition, and an absolutely indestructible Robar finish, so I never have to worry about moisture in our sweaty summers. Then my son got me into Glocks...

And by the way, what a crazy thing laser laws are. If people were logical, they'd realize how lasers actually represent a step up in public safety -- not something sinister.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

#4 colt-45

• Members
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

i carry a Kimber 45. in a Ultra Carry 3''

#5 snubjob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

G26 for me also. That is when i carry in a free state utilizing my Florida or Utah permit. G30 is usually in the vehicle with me every where. In a legal condition of course. They are both accurate, reliable weapons that i trust completely. Recently sold an lcr in 38. Very nice weapon. Just prefer the capacity of the 26, and seem to shoot it a little better. The 30 is an absolute joy to fire. Probably the most accurate, easy to shoot weapon i've ever owned. It's OD too!

#6 Vaden

Patriot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

Well when I transport my firearm, unloaded and encased, its usually my T9. If we ever get legalized carry, I will purchase a crossbreed for it. I have been looking for a micro 1911 lately to replace the T9, simply because I love the 1911 platform so much. The T9 is beautiful, reliable and definitely "almost" every day carryable, with jeans, dress pants or cargo shorts but anything lighter than that I would have a problem. Hmm...do I need an even smaller gun added to the stable? Oh no....Posted Image
"A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

#7 GarandFan

• Members
  • 11,727 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

Summertime: S&W 642, Glock 27, Glock 19, or Kimber Ultracarry - all IWB

Wintertime: Kimber 5" or Glock 22 (occasionally a full-sized .40 XDM) - all OWB

I feel very comfortable with any of those guns, and am pretty proficient at handling and firing them all (most proficient with the Glock 22, however). I often shoot any one of them in local IDPA matches. Tactically, I suppose it would be better to shoot and carry only one type of handgun. But I feel confident with all of them ... so, I carry whichever one strikes my fancy.
"It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place."
Lewis Carroll, 1872

#8 Vaden

Patriot

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

Summertime: S&W 642, Glock 27, Glock 19, or Kimber Ultracarry - all IWB

Wintertime: Kimber 5" or Glock 22 (occasionally a full-sized .40 XDM) - all OWB

I feel very comfortable with any of those guns, and am pretty proficient at handling and firing them all (most proficient with the Glock 22, however). I often shoot any one of them in local IDPA matches. Tactically, I suppose it would be better to shoot and carry only one type of handgun. But I feel confident with all of them ... so, I carry whichever one strikes my fancy.

Amen, last year at this time I was extremely anti Glock, then I bought a used G22 sight unseen from Buds. Some say they are ugly, I think its one of the most beautiful pieces in my collection. If I had only 1 and needed to defend myself, I would trust it with my life. Once that CCW license is in my wallet I may actually come to enjoy the cold weather.
"A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

#9 vezpa

Illinoiscarry.com Funnyman

• 3,775 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

delete

Edited by vezpa, 24 March 2012 - 10:36 AM.

Stand Your Ground

#10 vezpa

• 3,775 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

delete

Edited by vezpa, 24 March 2012 - 10:37 AM.

Stand Your Ground

#11 vezpa

• 3,775 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

In use everywhere but Illinois. .380 Ruger LCP

I'm not a huge Ruger fan but I do love this gun.

Attached Images

• LCP.jpg

Edited by vezpa, 24 March 2012 - 10:40 AM.

Stand Your Ground

#12 lockman

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

G36 mostly, but I just got a Serpa belt/paddle for my G21 which will be used for carry were OC is ok.

Edited by lockman, 24 March 2012 - 02:19 PM.

"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1776

Life Member NRA, ISRA, CCRKBA & SAF

#13 xmikex

• Members
  • 932 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

9mm Glocks and/or a J-Frame
"I may disapprove of what arms you bear, but I will defend to the death your right to remain armed." -xmikex

#14 Buzzard

• Members
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE reduce your pictures before posting.

I'm tired of explaining why.....just do it....please!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes,
but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda,
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

#15 Danielm60660

• Members
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

Don't have one yet, but I like the look of the new Xd slim. I'd like to see it in .40 with 7 plus 1.

#16 papa

• 4,051 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

It depends on where I am going and how I am dressed . I can carry either the PF-9 or the Kimber tactical ultra IWB . I also can carry the Kimber OWB or with a shoulder holster.

For everyday carry around my home ( inside or outside ) I use a belly band holster to carry my PF-9 in the open.

#17 billzfx4

• Members
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Springfield EMP in a Black Ops Pro from Pure Kustom.

Posted Image
Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me.

#18 Frank

Formerly FrankW438

• 1,677 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

^^^ I REALLY LIKE THAT!

The EMP is a sweet pistol! I had the pleasure of test-firing one at a Springfield Armory Days event at a local shop. Sweet sweet pistol. I'm kind bummed my wife didn't win the EMP IllinoisCarry.com raffled off.

Living in a border community, I end up carrying with my non-res Utah permit almost every weekend. I have a lot of trigger-time invested in Glock pistols, so I bought a G26 last year. It rides pretty comfortably in an Old Faithful holster. Winchester 124-grain SXT for ammo. After all the time I have spent training with a full-size Glock, I can shoot the G26 instinctively and naturally. At fifty feet or less, it is as accurate or better than my larger Glocks.

-- Frank

ETA: I use a 5.11 Leather Casual Belt because of the internal polymer stiffener. It gives great support for the holster. Nice and stiff.

Edited by frankw438, 24 March 2012 - 08:21 PM.

NRA Life Member - NRA Basic Pistol Instructor - NRA PPIH Instructor - NRA PPOH Instructor - USPSA Range Officer - IL Firearms Concealed Carry Instructor - ITWT Club Member #438

"The Supreme Court has decided that the amendment confers a right to bear arms for self-defense, which is as important outside the home as inside." -Moore v. Madigan, 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, December 11, 2012

#19 howie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

My Glock 30 has seen a lot of truck time as of late. Also have a RIA 1911 tactical .45 that I like A LOT!!!

NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
NRA Basic Pistol/Rifle Instructor
ISP Approved CCW Instructor

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... O sir, we should have fine times, indeed, if to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people!"

"I am not well versed in history, but I will submit to your recollection, whether liberty has been destroyed most often by the licentiousness of the people, or by the tyranny of rulers. I imagine, sir, you will find the balance on the side of tyranny."- Patrick Henry

#20 Ranger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

I have carried a Glock 26 in a Milt Sparks VMII and a Ruger LCP in one of those pocket holsters like Vezpa shows. Carried the LCP the most.

#21 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,691 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

Glock 36 in a Cross Breed super tuck.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks"
-Thomas Jefferson-

Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red, the white, the blue. The other ones got a rattle snake with a simple statement made, don't tread on me, is what it says and I'll take that to my grave
-Aaron Lewis-

#22 savage3306

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

ok ill play along SA loaded micro compact .45

Posted Image

#23 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 4,864 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

Keltec PF9 in a homemade custom holster. And for backup I carry a NAA mini mag.
"A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but its persistence." - Jim Watkins

Comment on this thread for a chance to win a Glock and a pizza http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=51095

#24 Bud

• Members
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

Wow!

I am really envious. Unfortunately, my entire firearm collection was lost in a tragic boating accident. It was the same weekend that Lou turned all of his in at a Father Snuffy gun buy back. He used the Wal Mart gift cards he got for his guns to buy a new Sony Bravia 55" TV (he had a LOT of guns)

Seriously, have you ever heard "the Internet is forever?"

Bud

Dico Tibi Verum, Libertas Optima Rerum Nunquam Servili Sub Nexu Vivito, Fili.

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#25 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 10,820 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

Wow!

I am really envious. Unfortunately, my entire firearm collection was lost in a tragic boating accident. It was the same weekend that Lou turned all of his in at a Father Snuffy gun buy back. He used the Wal Mart gift cards he got for his guns to buy a new Sony Bravia 55" TV (he had a LOT of guns)

Actually Bud, I didn't have that many to turn on. I was only able to buy the 40 inch Sony GT40 but it does allow me to surf the Internet while watching Fox News.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#26 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,303 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

Wow!

Actually Bud, I didn't have that many to turn on. I was only able to buy the 40 inch Sony GT40 but it does allow me to surf the Internet while watching Fox News.

Hmmm... all I got was a DVD of Rio Bravo out of the $5 bin and a lousy t-shirt!!
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#27 panzermk2

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

It changes but currently this,

Posted Image

אני חרב משפחתי,
ומגן עמי,
אם ישלחוני - אמחץ כל דבר שבניתם,
אשרוף את כל אהבותיכם,
ואהרוג כל אחד ואחד מכם

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.

http://www.eliteammunition.com

#28 kurt555gs

• Members
  • 2,405 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

I <3 my FiveseveN.
Kurt on G+

#29 belercous

• Banned
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

Since I only go to MO (where I can carry) once a week only for a few minutes (to get cigs, gas, whisky) I usually carry a .38 snubbie IWB. Have a sweet Crossbreed holster for my CZ-82 for when ILL gets CCW.

#30 assistantchief

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

When I'm in the "enlightened" states; I carry a S&W M&P 9C with a Comp-tac IWB. To be completely comfortable with an IWB, I wear a "wife-beater" t-shirt. Darn leather sticks if I don't. Wife carries a Ruger SP 101 or Walther PK 380 in a carry purse. Irritates the cr@p out of us to have to unholster/unload when entering Il after travelling.
"Are we at last brought to such an humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the difference between having our arms under our own possession and under our own direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"- Patrick Henry