Photo

Firearm in Hotel - Downer's Grove, IL

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Odyssey Firearms

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

I will be heading to Downer's Grove in about a month for a few days. I live in Iowa and am an NRA Training Counselor/Instructor and do Iowa, Utah, and Arizona permit to carry courses.

My background out of the way, from my understanding of the Illinois law, I can transport my firearms as long as they are not loaded and in a case. I will be transporting them once in Illinois in a locked case in the trunk. However, I also read that I can have it in a hotel and loaded as long as the city/town/village does not have a firearm restriction ordinance. Can someone point me in the direction of this for Downer's Grove? Do they have laws in place to restrict firearms? Is this available in a PDF format somewhere? Thanks for all the help and I look forward to reading the forum and catching up with the challenges you guys and gals are facing in Illinois.

#2 RandyP

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

Here you go:

http://www.downers.us/

We all can offer a guess, the Village can provide facts. Give them a holler.

#3 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• 9,073 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

Here's the Downers Grove Code in PDFs.

Section 15 touches on brandishing, discharge, and sale to minors. I didn't look at the other sections.
Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Link to Livestream Blueroom Events Page

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis

#4 lieut89

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

http://www.downers.u...e/Chapter15.pdf

15.9 and 15.10 are the only additional restrictions and they don't pertain.

#5 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• Supporting Members Team
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

I live in Downers Grove and there are no additional laws other than the state laws.
You should be fine following Illinois law.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#6 spec4

• Members
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

Many hotels/motels have anti gun policies. I simply put my gun in with my luggage while checking in. Of course that would be a problem with a long gun.

#7 Odyssey Firearms

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

Thank you for all of the responses. I will give the Downer's Grove law a look over and go from there. I don't know if it is different in Illinois but would a hotel/motel not qualify as your place of residence for the night? I believe there is some case law out there recognizing this as so. Maybe even to the point where hotels/motels can not restrict the possession of a firearm in your room. I may be mistaken.