Photo

Keeping a 22 cal. AR15 in Cook/Chicago?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 JohnG168

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hi All,

I was told that the AR ban for Cook county and Chicago does not cover rifles that are 22.caliber.

Is this accurate/true? Would love to pick up an MP15 in 22. Cal if it is.....

Thanks!

#2 RandyP

• Members
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

As far as I know, the protruding pistol grip, semi-auto and ability to accept a detachable magazine make them a banned assault weapon - the ordinance does not specify or exclude and caliber = see Page 5 of the attached:

https://portal.chica...er-registry.pdf

#3 Talonap

• Members
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

As I understand it, the .22 exemption only applies to the 10 round limit and only if the rifle has a tubular magazine. Otherwise, no AR types of any kind in Cook County. Here is the Ordinance:

06-O-50
ORDINANCE
Sponsored by
THE HONORABLE LARRY SUFFREDIN, COUNTY COMMISSIONER
Co-Sponsored by
THE HONORABLE JOHN P. DALEY AND JOAN PATRICIA MURPHY
COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
AMENDMENT TO THE
“COOK COUNTY DEADLY WEAPONS DEALER CONTROL ORDINANCE”
WHEREAS, the Federal assault weapons ban, of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of
1994, as amended, 18 USC Sec. 921 et seq. expired on September 13, 2004; and
WHEREAS, the County Board desires to (1) amend Ordinance 93-O-37, as amended by Ordinance 93-
O-46 and Ordinance 99-O-27, Article I, Section 1-2 by striking and deleting language in section 1-2; and
(2) amend Ordinance 93-O-37, as amended by Ordinance 93-O-46 and Ordinance 99-O-27, Article VI, by
deleting and adding language as stricken through and underlined below.
NOW, THEREFORE, PURSUANT TO THE HOME RULE AUTHORITY OF THE COOK
COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS, AS VESTED IN IT BY THE ILLINOIS
CONSTITUTION OF 1970, HEREBY AMEND PORTIONS OF THE ORDINANCE, AS
FOLLOWS:
ARTICLE I. GENERAL PROVISIONS
Section 1-2 Applicability.
(a) This article shall control the licensing of all firearms dealers within Cook County
except in home rule municipalities which have a separate municipal ordinance specifically
regulating the licensing of firearms dealers.
(:thumbsup: Pursuant to Article VII, Section 6© of the 1970 Constitution of the State of Illinois, if
this article conflicts with an ordinance of a home rule municipality, the municipal
ordinance shall prevail within its jurisdiction.
ARTICLE VI. ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN
Section 6-1 Definitions.
As used in Article VI of this Ordinance, the following terms shall have the following meaning:
(a) “Assault weapon” means:
(1) A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a large capacity magazine
detachable or otherwise and one or more of the following:
(A) Only a pistol grip without a stock attached;
(:shocked: Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the
non-trigger hand;
© A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(D) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the
barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being
burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or
(E) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator;
(2) A semiautomatic pistol or any semi-automatic rifle that has a fixed magazine, that has the
capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition;
(3) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one
or more of the following:
(A) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the
non-trigger hand;
(:cool: A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
© A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the
barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being
burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;
(D) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator; or
(E) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the
pistol grip.
(4) A semiautomatic shotgun that has one or more of the following:
(A) Only a pistol grip without a stock attached;
(:rolleyes: Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the
non-trigger hand;
© A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(D) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; or
(E) An ability to accept a detachable magazine;
(5) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
(6) Conversion kit, part or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can be
assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;
(7) Shall include, but not be limited to, the assault weapons models identified as follows:
(A) The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:
(i) AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM
91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR;
(ii) AR-10;
(iii) AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite M15, or Olympic Arms PCR;
(iv) AR70;
(v) Calico Liberty;
(vi) Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov SVU;
(vii) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FNC;
(viii) Hi-Point Carbine;
(ix) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, or HK-PSG-1;
(x) Kel-Tec Sub Rifle;
(xi) Saiga;
(xii) SAR-8, SAR-4800;
(xiii) SKS with detachable magazine;
(xiv) SLG 95;
(xv) SLR 95 or 96;
(xvi) Steyr AUG;
(xvii) Sturm, Ruger Mini-14;
(xviii) Tavor;
(xix) Thompson 1927, Thompson M1, or Thompson 1927 Commando; or
(xx) Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz).
(B) The following pistols or copies or duplicates thereof:
(i) Calico M-110;
(ii) MAC-10, MAC-11, or MPA3;
(iii) Olympic Arms OA;
(iv) TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22 Scorpion, or AB-10; or
(v) Uzi.
© The following shotguns or copies or duplicates thereof:
(i) Armscor 30 BG;
(ii) SPAS 12 or LAW 12;
(iii) Striker 12; or
(iv) Streetsweeper.
(B) “Assault weapon” does not include any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or
satisfies the definition of “antique firearm,” stated in this Ordinance, or weapons designed for Olympic
target shooting events.
© “Detachable magazine” means any ammunition feeding device, the function of which is to deliver one
or more ammunition cartridges into the firing chamber, which can be removed from the firearm without
the use of any tool, including a bullet or ammunition cartridge.
(d) “Large capacity magazine” means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more
than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include the following:
(1) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more
than 10 rounds.
(2) A 22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(3) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.
(e) “Muzzle brake“ means a device attached to the muzzle of a weapon that utilizes escaping gas to
reduce recoil.
(f) “Muzzle compensator” means a device attached to the muzzle of a weapon that utilizes escaping gas
to control muzzle movement.
Section 6-2 Assault weapons and large capacity magazines - Sale prohibited - Exceptions.
(a) No person shall manufacture, sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of,
acquire or possess any assault weapon or large capacity magazine. This subsection shall not apply to:
(1) the sale or transfer to, or possession by any officer, agent, or employee of Cook
County or any other municipality or state or of the United States, members of the armed
forces of the United States; or the organized militia of this or any other state; or peace
officers to the extent that any such person named in this subsection is otherwise
authorized to acquire or possess an assault weapon and/or large capacity magazine and
does so while acting within the scope of his or her duties;
(2) transportation of assault weapons or large capacity magazine if such weapons are
broken down and in a non-functioning state and are not immediately accessible to any
person.
(B) Any assault weapon or large capacity magazine possessed, sold or transferred in violation of
subsection (a) of this section is hereby declared to be contraband and shall be seized and disposed of in
accordance with the provisions of Section 6-2 of this Ordinance.
© Any person found in violation of this section shall be sentenced to not more than six months
imprisonment or fined not less than $500.00 and not more than $1,000.00, or both.
(d) Any person who, prior to the effective date of the ordinance codified in this Ordinance, was
legally in possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine prohibited by this section shall have
90 days from the effective date of the ordinance to do any of the following without being subject to
prosecution hereunder:
(1) To remove the assault weapon or large capacity magazine from within the limits
of the County of Cook; or
(2) To modify the assault weapon or large capacity magazine either to render it
permanently inoperable or to permanently make it a device no longer defined as an
assault weapon or large capacity magazine; or
(3) To surrender the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to the Sheriff or his
designee for disposal as provided below.
Section 6-3 Destruction of weapons confiscated.
Whenever any firearm or large capacity magazine is surrendered or confiscated pursuant to the
terms of this Ordinance, the Sheriff shall ascertain whether such firearm is needed as evidence in any
matter.
If such firearm or large capacity magazine is not required for evidence it shall be destroyed at the
direction of the Sheriff. A record of the date and method of destruction an inventory or the firearm or
large capacity magazine so destroyed shall be maintained.
Approved and adopted this 14th day of November 2006.

Edited by Talonap, 18 March 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#4 JohnG168

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

Thanks Guys. I knew it seemed strange when I first heard it. I was actually at at Midwest Guns in Lyons this Saturday and they only sell AR's in 22 cal due to the ban, I.e. the few larger caliber AR's they have are only for Law Enforcement. One of the guys working there said they cannot sell any large caliber AR's to the public due to the county ban.....

#5 SFC Stu

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

Thanks Guys. I knew it seemed strange when I first heard it. I was actually at at Midwest Guns in Lyons this Saturday and they only sell AR's in 22 cal due to the ban, I.e. the few larger caliber AR's they have are only for Law Enforcement. One of the guys working there said they cannot sell any large caliber AR's to the public due to the county ban.....

I wonder how many people were stupid enough to turn in their so called assault weapon to the Sheriff? Does anyone know?

#6 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

my question is how can you do up to 6 mos jail time for a CITY ORDANANCE VIOLATION! ????
"A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but its persistence." - Jim Watkins

Comment on this thread for a chance to win a Glock and a pizza http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=51095

#7 Sigma

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

My question is how many people has ever been charged under this ordinance
Exodus 22:2-3
If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed.

Gun control is not about guns, it's about control. Once they have all the guns, they'll also have complete control.-Abolt

Guns kill people just like beds get girls pregnant.

#8 oneshot

• Members
  • 6,594 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

Whenever I hear someone say something about gun regulations that I think sounds the least bit fishy, I do not give them the benefit of the doubt, I look it up. I've heard too many people, even FFL's, who don't have any clue what they're talking about and I've had people who I've sold guns to via gunbroker who've tried to get me to break the law because it's inconvenient for them for me to do otherwise, in other words, there are people who will say whatever they think is right, or think should be right, rather than what they know is right. My mantra is, they're not doing the time or paying the fine, I am. There's an FFL in town here who's told me that long guns can't be shipped by private individuals, I printed out the regs and showed them to him and he still didn't want to do the transfer and I wasn't going to tell the seller he had to pay for an FFL to ship when he wasn't required to. The same FFL here had a MAC 10 in his display case that had a collapsible stock crudely installed after market, making it an SBR. I informed him of this and he replied that it didn't count because the stock is collapsible. Posted Image Lots of bozos out there.

Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave. - Andrew Fletcher 1698

#9 Vaden

Patriot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

I dont know how many people have been found out or charged but this really sucks. I really want to buy a .22 for my son, something along the lines of the .22 Sig 522 or the MP5 looking one, so we would have something nice for the Aurora Zombie Shoot but they are illegal on my block, yet legal 1 block away. I've been told I should rent a locker at a range and keep it there but who the heck wants to do that? It costs almost as much as the gun itself. I've been looking at building him up a Ruger 10/22 but the stock I want for it is..illegal. I had a chance to acquire a Galil replica at a great price, one of my favorite modern sporting rifles and thats illegal too. Sure, the cops would probably never bust down my front door but when something like that can strip me of my rights to ever own ANY gun, why risk it?
"A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

#10 willxjcherokee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

The day we get RTC we need to pursue premption

#11 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

I dont know how many people have been found out or charged but this really sucks. I really want to buy a .22 for my son, something along the lines of the .22 Sig 522 or the MP5 looking one, so we would have something nice for the Aurora Zombie Shoot but they are illegal on my block, yet legal 1 block away. I've been told I should rent a locker at a range and keep it there but who the heck wants to do that? It costs almost as much as the gun itself. I've been looking at building him up a Ruger 10/22 but the stock I want for it is..illegal. I had a chance to acquire a Galil replica at a great price, one of my favorite modern sporting rifles and thats illegal too. Sure, the cops would probably never bust down my front door but when something like that can strip me of my rights to ever own ANY gun, why risk it?

Again, I AM NOT A LAWYER but I do not see how a CITY ORDINANCE violation can strip you of your rights?
"A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but its persistence." - Jim Watkins

Comment on this thread for a chance to win a Glock and a pizza http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=51095

#12 Talonap

• Members
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

Again, I AM NOT A LAWYER but I do not see how a CITY ORDINANCE violation can strip you of your rights?

It's actually a County Ordinance. And if they do find you have it and decide to prosecute, I'm thinking it would be difficult to keep an FOID after being prosecuted for a firearms violation - even if it is stupid. Anyone else have another take on this?

Edited by Talonap, 19 March 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#13 Vaden

Patriot

• Members
  • 914 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

It's actually a County Ordinance. And if they do find you have it and decide to prosecute, I'm thinking it would be difficult to keep an FOID after being prosecuted for a firearms violation - even if it is stupid. Anyone else have another take on this?

Correct, the Blair-Holt is a county wide ordinance, and 35 miles away from the city of Chicago, I am suffering the effects of this BS that they pushed.
"A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

#14 kurt555gs

• Members
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

Cook county is Home Rule and prohibits modern sporting rifles like the AR-15. The village of Lemont is in 3 counties. If to live in the part of Lemont that is Cook county, you are hosed.

* Carthago delenda est *
Kurt on G+

#15 JR1987

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Pursuant to Article VII, Section 6© of the 1970 Constitution of the State of Illinois, if
this article conflicts with an ordinance of a home rule municipality, the municipal
ordinance shall prevail within its jurisdiction.

Certain cities do not follow the ban. Such as my own. Essentially if one trigger pull fires off more than one 2 rounds it is illegal in my hometown. Anything else is legal.

The ban only applies to cities in which the municipality has not already made a law.

As far as Midwest Guns only selling AR's in .22 cal... WHAT?! I've seen plenty of 5.56/.223 AR's there. Granted I haven't been there in 5 months or so.

But the Cook County ban only applies to cities which do not make their own rule.

Edited by JR1987, 19 March 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#16 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 5,732 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

Violation of a County Ordinance does not revoke or impair a FOID. I can show you people who have misdomenaor UUWs who still have a FOID card. just becuase is is a weapons offense, does not mean it's a prohibition on the RKBA.
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

#17 Vaden

Patriot

• Members
  • 914 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Violation of a County Ordinance does not revoke or impair a FOID. I can show you people who have misdomenaor UUWs who still have a FOID card. just becuase is is a weapons offense, does not mean it's a prohibition on the RKBA.

OK, so for us non lawyer types, if I were to theoretically acquire an AR15, and it was found by the police, I could get 6 months in jail and a minimum $500 fine for possession of a banned weapon but not have my FOID revoked or other firearms (if I had any) seized? I looked into Hanover Park ordinances before but dont recall anything firearm related.

Edited by Vaden, 19 March 2012 - 01:13 PM.

#18 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

That city ( or county ) ordinance is no different than nor should have any more retribution than the one you violate when you don't pick up your dog's **** off the sidewalk! We need to find someone that has been fined that much or been put away for 6 mos and make them a Plaintiff!

#19 Vaden

Patriot

• Members
  • 914 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

That city ( or county ) ordinance is no different than nor should have any more retribution than the one you violate when you don't pick up your dog's **** off the sidewalk! We need to find someone that has been fined that much or been put away for 6 mos and make them a Plaintiff!

Well, I know when I walk my greyhound and my mutt, I will not do so without a huge pocket full of plastic grocery bags which makes for an unpleasant walk back to the house. Getting fined is much more unpleasant though. heck I paid $120 last year for not taking my garbage can in from the curb by the specified time!

#20 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Well, I know when I walk my greyhound and my mutt, I will not do so without a huge pocket full of plastic grocery bags which makes for an unpleasant walk back to the house. Getting fined is much more unpleasant though. heck I paid $120 last year for not taking my garbage can in from the curb by the specified time!

Are you friggin serious?! How do you live like that?. Go south about 4 hrs and YOU can poo in your yard and leave it, not that you would want to LOL! ........ and if your trashcan is still by the road the next time around who cares? I know alot of people that just leave them there!

IL has some stupid laws, but it's God's country down here compared to up there.

#21 JR1987

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

Just for your own info these are cities with home rule: http://www.iml.org/page.cfm?key=2

Note: you must research your own cities laws to determine if you are "exempt" from Cook's law. It took me quiet a while to find my own cities. It was hidden right under my nose.

Edited by JR1987, 19 March 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#22 JohnG168

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

[b]Pursuant to Article VII, Section 6 of the 1970 Constitution of the State of Illinois, if
ordinance shall prevail within its jurisdiction.[/

As far as Midwest Guns only selling AR's in .22 cal... WHAT?! I've seen plenty of 5.56/.223 AR's there. Granted I haven't been there in 5 months or so.

But the Cook County ban only applies to cities which do not make their own rule.

Yes, they do have some larger caliber AR's in the store, but they are Law Enforcement only. They will sell you a MIni-14 or KEL Tec RFB, but no AR-15 platform that is larger than 22. Caliber unless you have a badge :whistle:

#23 JR1987

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

[b]Pursuant to Article VII, Section 6 of the 1970 Constitution of the State of Illinois, if
ordinance shall prevail within its jurisdiction.[/

Yes, they do have some larger caliber AR's in the store, but they are Law Enforcement only. They will sell you a MIni-14 or KEL Tec RFB, but no AR-15 platform that is larger than 22. Caliber unless you have a badge :whistle:

Could be because Lyons isn't home rule. They aren't on the list on that website I came up with. My home town is however. Strange.

Though, even still, that makes no sense. .22 cal doesn't change it.

#24 mstrat

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

The shop in Lyons is considerably more expensive than.... well, everywhere else.

Add to that their lack of motivation to assist customers, and I'd say you're not missing much.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
ProtectIllinois.org: Share this link to teach others about RTC in IL

#25 JR1987

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

The shop in Lyons is considerably more expensive than.... well, everywhere else.

Add to that their lack of motivation to assist customers, and I'd say you're not missing much.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I must agree here, though I've felt that way at MANY shops in IL. I don't know if its because the IL gun culture is so marginalized, or if they are just jerks; but I've had very few good experiences at IL shops. Though there is a guy about my age (20-30 something) at Maxons in Des Plaines who is pretty cool and helpful.

I've purchased one rifle at Midwest, a 91/30 Mosin Nagant because it was priced right and was in good condition. It was fairly competitive with others (after FFL fees and such). However on their other weapons their prices are pretty bad, sometimes 100 dollars more. I've also had a hard time getting help while I was there.

I wont shoot at the range again. I don't care for the man behind the desk downstairs. After returning a rental to him he yelled at me for laying the pistol on its side barrel facing away from the two of us. I wasn't about to grab a 1911 barrel, action opened, after 400 rounds of ammo had passed through it. "grab the barrel and return it to me!" No. The barrel is safely pointed away from people and the action is open. Come off it.

#26 oneshot

• Members
  • 6,594 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

Home of the free. Posted Image

Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave. - Andrew Fletcher 1698

#27 chip

• Supporting Members Team
  • 902 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

Just for your own info these are cities with home rule: http://www.iml.org/page.cfm?key=2

Note: you must research your own cities laws to determine if you are "exempt" from Cook's law. It took me quiet a while to find my own cities. It was hidden right under my nose.

Note to anyone reviewing the list of cities with home rule. Just because your city is on the list DOES NOT mean that they have an ordinance the preempts the Crook County AWB.
However, from a previous post (and I would still research it) it appears that a forum member was able to register an AR in Chicago because it had a fixed magazine from the manufacturer.
A fixed magazine is one that can not be removed without tools. Ergo, a California style bullet button (which requires a bullet or other tool to be inserted to remove the magazine) should be in compliance, as long as the magazine fitted has a capacity of 10 rounds or less. I'm not a lawyer, and this should be taken as my layman's opinion and not as legal advice.

Member - Illinois Tactical Officers Association

Member - Second Amendment Foundation

Illinois State Police Approved Instructor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

UTAH BCI Certified Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor

NROI Range Officer
Top Shot Academy

CCW Safe Membership Info

#28 Sigma

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

But here is what i dont understand, if a town has home rule then lists there firearm ordinances, and doesnt include a ban on scary guns, doesnt that mean they choose not to regulate it?
Exodus 22:2-3
If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed.

Gun control is not about guns, it's about control. Once they have all the guns, they'll also have complete control.-Abolt

Guns kill people just like beds get girls pregnant.

#29 Jason4567

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

I was wondering exactly what Chip and Sigma are. Since Chicago is home rule, and it's "AWB" doesn't exactly match Cook County's ban, do you not have to worry about the county? Joey's AR doesn't seem to conform to Cook but he got it through Chicago.

IS YOUR RIFLE A GRENADE LAUNCHER? YES NO

From the Chicago Firearm Registration form

#30 JR1987

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

Note to anyone reviewing the list of cities with home rule. Just because your city is on the list DOES NOT mean that they have an ordinance the preempts the Crook County AWB.
However, from a previous post (and I would still research it) it appears that a forum member was able to register an AR in Chicago because it had a fixed magazine from the manufacturer.
A fixed magazine is one that can not be removed without tools. Ergo, a California style bullet button (which requires a bullet or other tool to be inserted to remove the magazine) should be in compliance, as long as the magazine fitted has a capacity of 10 rounds or less. I'm not a lawyer, and this should be taken as my layman's opinion and not as legal advice.

Exactly. That's why I said "research your cities laws". The ban is only preempted if your municipality makes a law on firearms. Mine does. Just because your city is home rule does not mean they have a rule on firearms.

Sigma, the way I see it, as a non fancy man lawyer, is simple: Cook County rules you... unless your city makes a rule. Then you follow that rule.

Edited by JR1987, 23 March 2012 - 03:19 PM.