Photo

Glock 26 vs. XD subcompact 9mm for CCW

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 wilessiuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Which do you prefer?
"To Disarm The People - That Was The Best And Most Effectual Way To Enslave Them" - George Mason

ONE STATE - ONE LAW

#2 NakPPI

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

XD-S 9mm comes out this summer...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Stung by the result of McDonald v. City of Chicago, 130 S. Ct. 3020 (2010), the City quickly enacted an ordinance that was too clever by half. Recognizing that a complete gun ban would no longer survive Supreme Court review, the City required all gun owners to obtain training that included one hour of live‐range instruction, and then banned all live ranges within City limits. This was not so much a nod to the importance of live‐range training as it was a thumbing of the municipal nose at the Supreme Court.

#3 TFC

• Members
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

Px-4 Storm Sub. It's a chunky little gun, but it's nice. The 26 is on my short list. If I go with a second piece, it'll probably be that.
~If you speak of a gun as a toy, then you see medical waste as playground filler. Yes, it means you're a screwed up individual.~
~"An invasion of mainland America is unwise. Behind every blade of grass a rifle would await us"
-Yamamoto Isoroku
I predicted that Chicago/Cook county will be sold out in order to get "shall issue".
Based on the restrictions on carry in Chicago/Cook County, I was right.

...doing just enough to keep them out of Federal Court...

#4 papa

• 3,881 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

Which do you prefer?

If I could only choose between these two pistols , it would have to be the XD. I have tried and tried to make the Glock grip work for me but I think my first semi auto ( Colt Combat Commander ) ruined me. :hyper:

#5 snubjob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

Glock 26 vote here.

#6 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 10,692 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

You can't go wrong with either. Try both and get the one that works better for you, not someone else who has a different sized hand than you do. Both are quality tools I would trust my life to.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#7 snubjob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

You can't go wrong with either. Try both and get the one that works better for you, not someone else who has a different sized hand than you do. Both are quality tools I would trust my life to.

+1 Best if you try to actually shoot them if possible. Good luck with which ever you choose!

#8 Stavros31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

I would buy the Glock 26,

#9 pyre400

Political opinions expressed are always my own.

• Admin
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

XD-S 9mm comes out this summer...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Yes sir. I spoke with SA about that at the GAT guns MFG day. They couldn't give me much detail on it, but they confirmed it'd be out this summer.

XD(s) .45 is supposed to be arriving in April, or late March (April more likely I guess).

#10 xmikex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

I've seen multiple G26's make it through 1,000 round 2-day classes without a hiccup.

I have seen multiple XDs choke in these classes.

The XD grip safety makes 1-handed reloads / malfunction clearances very difficult.
"I may disapprove of what arms you bear, but I will defend to the death your right to remain armed." -xmikex

#11 stm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

Glock 26 vote here.

+ 1

Great pistol, extremely reliable. If you have trouble with the grip length, buy Pierce Grip extenders for your magazines. They give you a place to rest your little finger, and room for a couple more rounds.

yea everyone makes fun of the redneck till the zombies show up. . .

#12 pyre400

Political opinions expressed are always my own.

• Admin
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

I have several XD's. I've made several 1000 round sessions, and all without a single hickup - in fact, my XDm is approaching 7000 rounds without a single hickup.

Personally, I prefer the grip safety of the XD, and the grip angle suits me better than the glock.

That said, I've not seen nearly as many problems with the glock as I hear about on the internet... I have no problems with glocks - but if given a choice between glock and XD, I'll take the XD.

One handed rack on an XD:

No matter what gun you choose - you'll still have to practice one handed operation. The extent of difficulty is debatable, I guess.

#13 kurt555gs

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

How about neither. I prefer to carry a revolver. When I have that urge to carry an automatic, I like my Kimber Super Carry Pro .45. I have a number of automatics, but I just like single action pistols. I also really like my FN FiveseveN, which is also single action.

Edited by kurt555gs, 09 March 2012 - 01:52 PM.

Kurt on G+

#14 output

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

I own both. They are both very nice firearms and both of mine have been reliable and problem free. The Glock 26 is just a little bit smaller in the grip area and holds a little less in the magazine. I carry (when I can legally) and shoot the Glock 26 a lot more. YMMV. The best thing you can do is go to a local range and rent both. See which fits your hand better and which you enjoy shooting the best. It is worth it.

Edited by output, 09 March 2012 - 02:01 PM.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles. - Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

#15 moparcardave

• Members
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

The XD subcompact. I feel it is a bit safer then the Glock due to a few instances in which Glocks have gone off accidently where the XD really has to be gripped to do so. I carry differntly depending, I might use the XD or my P-11. Being here in Texas I went to a wheelgun, a 44 bulldog stubbie. I have had a couple of these over the years and I just love the 44, have three of them. A month ago a friend came over and asked me to look at his new gun. He wanted a 44 but this Colt SSA was a 44-40, I looked and my eyes got big. Turns out it is an orginal 1883 Colt New Frontier Six Shooter and in great shape. Value anywhere from $2k to up to $10k. He had no idea, he paid $150 for it. lol he is hanging on to it unless someone comes up with some cash...
Guns don't kill people, Gun FREE zones kill people!

WHY CARRY A GUN? Because carrying a Cop would be too heavy.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
--George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426.

#16 JackTripper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

The Gen 4 Glock 26 was not hit by the issues (since resolved) seen in the G17 & G19. For the record.
Come and knock on my door. I'll be waiting for you.

#17 TyGuy

• Members
  • 9,259 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

I like Glocks, but XDs are great too. I like not having any externals safeties.m there's less to have to train yourself to do under stress.

ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread ---- Daily Deals Thread

Fundraiser for friend that lost infant son

#18 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,265 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

Shoot, I can't decide so I'll just have one of each. In each caliber offered. Oh, no, if I do that, I'll have to start amassing piles of .40 since I don't have any! Well, it's for the children!!

Tim
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#19 Nakano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:36 AM

I've had all 3 and have carried all 3 in other states. Out of the three, the G26 is the easiest and most comfortable to conceal. As for what feels best in the hand, the PX4sc wins hands down. The XDsc is not a bad gun.....I've owned 3 of them so I know they are great pieces. The problem about them is that they're chunkier then the Service and Tactical by having a thicker slide to keep the reliability factor. The bore axis is higher then the other 2 models so shootablity is at the bottom of the list as well.

Now the PX4sc feels better in the hand due to the ergos and proper checkering on the grip and backstrap. The Glock and XD have a less aggressive, almost smooth texture on the grips which could get slippery in no time. The Concealable Control GAP plates for the G26 negate the need for grip tape or pinky extensions. Overall decision is up to the end user and if you can rent all three, do so before purchasing. If I was offered only one of them, I'd go with the G26.

#20 NakPPI

• 1,246 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Bass Pro in Gurnee has been allocated one (1) XD-S .45 ACP and they have not received it yet.

The price?

$619.99

Insanity. Consider this thread hijacked. ;)
Stung by the result of McDonald v. City of Chicago, 130 S. Ct. 3020 (2010), the City quickly enacted an ordinance that was too clever by half. Recognizing that a complete gun ban would no longer survive Supreme Court review, the City required all gun owners to obtain training that included one hour of live‐range instruction, and then banned all live ranges within City limits. This was not so much a nod to the importance of live‐range training as it was a thumbing of the municipal nose at the Supreme Court.

#21 vezpa

Illinoiscarry.com Funnyman

• 3,734 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

So many nice small 9mm out now to limit your choices to these two as both of your choices are rather big for 9mm carry standards now. If I didn't already have the Ruger LCP for everyday carry I'd be rocking a Ruger LC9 or new Beretta Nano.

If I had to choose between the two you have mentioned I'd take the Glock.

Edited by vezpa, 13 March 2012 - 10:38 PM.

Stand Your Ground