Photo

HUGE Court Decision on Maryland Concealed Permit Case

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#1 Bud

• Members
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:09 AM

Woollard v. Sheridan

A Maryland resident sued concerning Maryland's "good and substantial reason to issue a concealed carry permit...............and won!

Decision is from the Federal District Court of Maryland.

This is another huge win for the Second Amendment Foundation

The Court said:

"Because the ―good and substantial reason requirement is not reasonably adapted to a substantial government interest, the Court finds this portion of the Maryland law to be unconstitutional. Woollard is entitled to summary judgment. "

"A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered ―reasonably adapted‖ to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be. Maryland's goal of ―minimizing the proliferation of handguns among those who do not have a demonstrated need for them,‖ id. at 40, is not a permissible method of preventing crime or ensuring public safety; it burdens the right too broadly. "

"At bottom, this case rests on a simple proposition: If the Government wishes to burden a right guaranteed by the Constitution, it may do so provided that it can show a satisfactory justification and a sufficiently adapted method. The showing, however, is always the Government's to make. A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

Edited by BudMan5, 05 March 2012 - 11:41 AM.

Bud

If you want to help Officer Darren Wilson of the Ferguson (MO) Police Department follow the link:

http://www.gofundme....rtOfficerWilson

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#2 samy12386

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Never thought I'd be jealous of Maryland. Can someone with more knowledge tell us if this will effect us at all?
SEMPER FI

#3 kurt555gs

• Members
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

Finally. "May issue" states are going to be scrambling on how discriminate peoples rights after this.
Kurt on G+

#4 NakPPI

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

It's huge.
1. Second Amendment applies outside of the home
2. Arbitrarily prohibiting gun possession outside of the home is unconstitutional.

We would win our cases based on this ruling... Too bad it's the wrong circuit.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Stung by the result of McDonald v. City of Chicago, 130 S. Ct. 3020 (2010), the City quickly enacted an ordinance that was too clever by half. Recognizing that a complete gun ban would no longer survive Supreme Court review, the City required all gun owners to obtain training that included one hour of live‐range instruction, and then banned all live ranges within City limits. This was not so much a nod to the importance of live‐range training as it was a thumbing of the municipal nose at the Supreme Court.

#5 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

It's huge.
2. Arbitrarily prohibiting gun possession outside of the home is unconstitutional.

Pardon my ignorance to the way the system works, but why does the circuit affect them but not us?
...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#6 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,273 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

It's huge.

While this may not be used by the judges in our circuit when/if our cases get there, could it not be cited when we reach SCOTUS?
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#7 NakPPI

• 1,249 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

A court can cite whatever it likes within the rules, but the weight of the opinion is based on the level and circuit. So, in this case the decision is from a parallel court in a different circuit.

Remember, judge Myerscough's opinion cited cases in New Jersey, so our judges could easily cite this case.

Now if this case were to be affirmed by the 4th Circuit, it would be more meaningful.

Obviously SCOTUS is the top. I've always said that Woolard was a better case than the two cases that SCOTUS declined to hear last year.
Stung by the result of McDonald v. City of Chicago, 130 S. Ct. 3020 (2010), the City quickly enacted an ordinance that was too clever by half. Recognizing that a complete gun ban would no longer survive Supreme Court review, the City required all gun owners to obtain training that included one hour of live‐range instruction, and then banned all live ranges within City limits. This was not so much a nod to the importance of live‐range training as it was a thumbing of the municipal nose at the Supreme Court.

#8 kurt555gs

• Members
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

I'll bet this gives Bloomberg an upset stomach.

* Carthago delenda est *
Kurt on G+

#9 Skorpius

• Members
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

"A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

I hope this can be referenced with regards to Chicago's permit, registration, and fee.
Posted Image
NRA / ISRA

#10 JackTripper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

With some luck, Maryland will appeal and lose, granting us relief here.
Come and knock on my door. I'll be waiting for you.

#11 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

A court can cite whatever it likes within the rules, but the weight of the opinion is based on the level and circuit. So, in this case the decision is from a parallel court in a different circuit.

Remember, judge Myerscough's opinion cited cases in New Jersey, so our judges could easily cite this case.

Now if this case were to be affirmed by the 4th Circuit, it would be more meaningful.

Obviously SCOTUS is the top. I've always said that Woolard was a better case than the two cases that SCOTUS declined to hear last year.

I'd assume this will be repealed and potentially end up in SCOTUS?
...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#12 JackTripper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

Never mind my comment. Next stop would be the 4th circuit
Come and knock on my door. I'll be waiting for you.

#13 Getzapped

Gunsmith Extraordinaire

• 1,851 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs.

I love this!! I hope this helps our cause!

logoforum_zps0763fe59.png

#14 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• 9,268 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Pardon my ignorance to the way the system works, but why does the circuit affect them but not us?

There are 11 regional circuit courts and the DC Circuit court. Each covers a set geography. IL, WI, and IN make up the 7th Circuit. Within our circuit, there are several District Courts. Decisions in a District Court are not binding in the circuit (or, I believe) even within that District (though I may be wrong on this). They can be cited within the circuit or even in another circuit or at SCOTUS.

A decision in a given circuits Court of Appeals is binding within that circuit. A decision by SCOTUS is binding across all circuits.

It is essentially a top-down hierarchy. Appeals bubble up and decisions bind down.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#15 wilessiuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

The U.S. Supreme Court will eventually have to hear the issue of whether or not the 2nd Amendment applies outside of the home. Circuits are split as to the answer, and the Supreme Court loves to hear those types of cases. However, we are probably at least 2-3 years away from this happening. This makes the 2012 election crucial. If Obama wins, he almost certainly will have anywhere from 1-3 nominations to make to the Court. Another Sotomayor or Kagan and you can imagine how the Court will rule.
"To Disarm The People - That Was The Best And Most Effectual Way To Enslave Them" - George Mason

ONE STATE - ONE LAW

#16 TyGuy

• 10,095 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

The U.S. Supreme Court will eventually have to hear the issue ... This makes the 2012 election crucial.

+infinity

I can't let myself consider what will happen if the President wins another term.

ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread ---- Daily Deals Thread

#17 Ranger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

Ditto. For the second amendment, this will likely be one of the most important presidential elections ever and it will have ramifications that will last decades. Pro second amendment supporters need to gain the Presidency and Senate and hold the house. If that happens, we'll continue to see many improvements in our second amendment status. If it doesn't, we're in trouble.

#18 Jeff Johnson

• Members
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

I'm not disagreeing about the importance of the next election, but the NRA says the very same thing every election.

#19 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,273 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

I'm not disagreeing about the importance of the next election, but the NRA says the very same thing every election.

Because with a 5-4 court, it's true for every election. We're one heartbeat from a Liberal court, every day. Not to mention the hundreds of judges that are appointed to lower courts in the Federal system. Like Sue Myerscough.

AB
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#20 milq

• Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

Not that I'm a fan of the guy, but Rush L. is talking about this decision right now and about the upswing in gun sales prior to the election. He really hasn't added his own opinion, other than he's very surprised to hear this coming from Maryland.
Good night Chesty, wherever you are.

Visit my Illinois RTC/Pro 2A blog: Steel on Target

#21 RINGKINGS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

I think this is especially interesting and important coming from Maryland (a very left leaning area in general)........if this decision came from the circuit that settles cases in say, Oklahoma or Arizona it wouldnt be so surprising.
Also, citing this case could be a powerful argument that Illinois must either allow our 2nd Amendment rights through either OPEN and/or CONCEALED carry ...their choice... but they cannot summarily deny the right..... im guessing the powers that be in Illinois cringe at the idea of OPEN carry which makes this decision a powerful tool added to our toolbelt in the fight to obtain a permitting system for CONCEALED carry.

Personally, i have been a member of the NRA for years but i think its time to join or at least contribute to the SAF.......they pick their cases very well and have an excellent batting average winning those cases.

Edited by RINGKINGS, 05 March 2012 - 03:07 PM.

I COULD AGREE WITH YOU, BUT THEN WE WOULD BOTH BE WRONG.
ONE STATE ONE LAW

#22 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,273 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

I think this is especially interesting and important coming from Maryland (a very left leaning area in general)........if this decision came from the circuit that settles cases in say, Oklahoma or Arizona it wouldnt be so surprising.
Also, citing this case could be a powerful argument that Illinois must either allow our 2nd Amendment rights through either OPEN and/or CONCEALED carry ...their choice... but they cannot summarily deny the right..... im guessing the powers that be in Illinois cringe at the idea of OPEN carry which makes this decision a powerful tool added to our toolbelt in the fight to obtain a permitting system for CONCEALED carry.

Personally, i have been a member of the NRA for years but i think its time to join or at least contribute to the SAF.......they pick their cases very well and have an excellent batting average winning those cases.

Been a member for some time now. SAF is one of the plaintiffs in Moore vs. Madigan, along with Illinois Carry.

--Samuel Adams

#23 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• 9,268 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

SAF is a major and important player in the litigation arena. NRA plays well there too, but their major power is in elections and legislation.

Both are important functions.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#24 Sigma

• Members
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

Dumb question, what if this ruling came down before Meyers cough wrote her foolishness?

Whenever Saf scores a win I send em 2 bucks since i'm already a member.
Exodus 22:2-3
If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed.

Gun control is not about guns, it's about control. Once they have all the guns, they'll also have complete control.-Abolt

Guns kill people just like beds get girls pregnant.

#25 wilessiuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

Dumb question, what if this ruling came down before Meyers cough wrote her foolishness?

Wouldn't have mattered. Different courts, different jurisdictions. Only court that has jurisdiction over both is the US Supreme Court.
"To Disarm The People - That Was The Best And Most Effectual Way To Enslave Them" - George Mason

ONE STATE - ONE LAW

#26 oneshot

• Members
  • 6,597 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

Love it.

Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave. - Andrew Fletcher 1698

#27 ming

• 1,651 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Maryland has announced it plans to appeal. Not much of a surprise there.

Edited by ming, 05 March 2012 - 06:41 PM.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol and PPITH Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
ISRA Member
Registered Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor

#28 Yas

• Members
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

Dear Monique Davis

Dear Emil Jones III

Alan Gura is one step closer to SCOTUS again.... Pay attention.

#29 xmikex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

"A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

I hope this can be referenced with regards to Chicago's permit, registration, and fee.

That needs to go on a poster at IGOLD this year.

also here's a map of the how the US Federal Court of appeals and Federal District Courts are set up:

Posted Image
"I may disapprove of what arms you bear, but I will defend to the death your right to remain armed." -xmikex

#30 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 5,737 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

My understanding is this judge ruled that the law of good cause could not survive an intermediate scrutiny standard. If that fails intermediate, Illinois complete ban on carry can't survive rational basis. . .

This is big, not to mention the beyond the home issue, sounds an awful lot like what we argued today at the task force in Chicago
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.