Photo

Apendix Carry?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 LPD5408

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

I got a Raven Concealment vanguard holster in a recent trade. I normally carry a 27 on duty as a backup and also carry the same gun off duty. I have been carrying this pistol with a clip draw for several years. When I saw the vanguard I figured it would make the G27 a little safer as before the trigger was unprotected. Now that I have the vanguard I tried apendix carry for all of 5 minutes. I'm off this weekend so plan on trying it out a little more. My question is does anybody here carry appendix and if you do what holster are you using?

#2 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,314 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

I got a Raven Concealment vanguard holster in a recent trade. I normally carry a 27 on duty as a backup and also carry the same gun off duty. I have been carrying this pistol with a clip draw for several years. When I saw the vanguard I figured it would make the G27 a little safer as before the trigger was unprotected. Now that I have the vanguard I tried apendix carry for all of 5 minutes. I'm off this weekend so plan on trying it out a little more. My question is does anybody here carry appendix and if you do what holster are you using?

Sadly, my body type is not conducive to appendix carry. I have "dickie-do disease".
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#3 papa

• Supporting Members Team
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

Posted Image I've got the dunloped over the dunlop situation myself . I am very happy to be able to carry at my 3:30 or so. LOL

#4 Getzapped

Gunsmith Extraordinaire

• 1,933 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

That reminds me I need to do some sit-ups!

logoforum_zps0763fe59.png

#5 Glock21

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

I carry a Kahr PM9 with a VanGuard in appendix every now and then. I never thought it would work, but it does.

"The mind must be wide open in order to function freely in thought. For a limited mind cannot think freely." -Bruce Lee

Fortress Defense: State of the Art firearms training for citizen, soldier and peace officer.

http://www.fortressdefense.com
frank@fortressdefense.com
708-522-8060

Twitter: twitter.com/FortressDC1

#6 05FLHT

TCB.

• Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

I carry AIWB about 90% of the time now. I either have a CM9 in a Remora holster or a M&P9c in a High Noon Mr. Soft. Since I've switched, I haven't even thought of going back to carrying behind the hip.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
IL Concealed Carry Firearm Instructor

#7 milq

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

If I remain standing, appendix carry is ok but sitting is out of the question. There's more of this Marine than there was 12 yrs ago.
Good night Chesty, wherever you are.

Visit my Illinois RTC/Pro 2A blog: Steel on Target

#8 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,314 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

If I remain standing, appendix carry is ok but sitting is out of the question. There's more of this Marine than there was 12 yrs ago.

Besides being the wrong body type for Appendix carry, I have this unfounded but yet terrible thought of an accidental discharge (yeah, I know, no such thing, but humor me!). Were that to happen, I'd lots rather shoot off what's in back than what's in front!!

Tim
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#9 output

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

If you like the vanguard you will love the vanguard 2 that just came out:

I appendix carry with the comp tac minotaur neutral cant holster and the Mr. Softyholster by HighNoonHolsters.
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles. - Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

#10 xmikex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

Southnarc and the rest of the TPI folks are big fans of appendix. I think it has a role but I currently prefer 3:30 or so strong-side. I'll snag a Vanguard 2 and experiment a bit with it at some point. Just haven't gotten around to it yet...

Mike
"I may disapprove of what arms you bear, but I will defend to the death your right to remain armed." -xmikex

#11 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,691 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

2 places I don't carry, the appendix and the spine but for different reasons. One has to do with safety while the other has to do with too many peanut butter cups and hershy kisses among other things.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks"
-Thomas Jefferson-

Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red, the white, the blue. The other ones got a rattle snake with a simple statement made, don't tread on me, is what it says and I'll take that to my grave
-Aaron Lewis-

#12 Glock21

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

I got my hands on a VanGuard 2 a couple of weeks ago, and I have one reservation. The belt attachment can easily get into the trigger guard should someone try to reholster it while it's still being worn. I know they say not to do that, but it's a issue that I bet will eventually rear its head.

"The mind must be wide open in order to function freely in thought. For a limited mind cannot think freely." -Bruce Lee

Fortress Defense: State of the Art firearms training for citizen, soldier and peace officer.

http://www.fortressdefense.com
frank@fortressdefense.com
708-522-8060

Twitter: twitter.com/FortressDC1

#13 05FLHT

TCB.

• Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

Besides being the wrong body type for Appendix carry, I have this unfounded but yet terrible thought of an accidental discharge (yeah, I know, no such thing, but humor me!). Were that to happen, I'd lots rather shoot off what's in back than what's in front!!

Tim

This is a thought that has crossed my mind. I've never needed to draw from appendix always have the gun holstered when I put it on.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
IL Concealed Carry Firearm Instructor

#14 LPD5408

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for the replies. The vanguard 2 is on my radar. I wanted to try this out before I tried to purchase anything else.

I'm off this weekend and will be spending some time trying it out. Will let you know what I think.

#15 TTIN

si vis pacem, para bellum

• Members
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

Tim

Posted ImagePosted Image For sure!
Patrick Henry: "Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense".

"God made men,but Colt made them equals"

"Guns don't kill people..husbands who come home early do" -Larry The Cable Guy

"Illinois: Will the Defendant Please Rise?"

"si vis pacem, para bellum"

#16 output

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Here is a shot of my minotaur & Glock 26:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry for the quality of the pictures. Cell phone camera :whistle:

Edited by output, 03 March 2012 - 12:17 PM.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles. - Jeff Cooper, Art of the Rifle

#17 LPD5408

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Update. I don't like this. I'm going to look at the Minataur and see if that helps.

#18 samy12386

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

I love clip draw as you mentioned in your first post
SEMPER FI

#19 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

I am with Abolt on this one. Although I do appendix carry a 340pd in a cheap galco when a stranger rings the door bell.
...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#20 bornhunter04

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

In truth how comfortable is it really to appendix carry? Just seems like the grip would dig in while sitting or bending over.
ITWTC #308

#21 bob

• Members
  • 5,151 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

2 places I don't carry, the appendix and the spine but for different reasons. One has to do with safety while the other has to do with too many peanut butter cups and hershy kisses among other things.

those were my first thoughts when I read the OP.

I slipped on the ice a few weeks ago and went down on my backside. I can only imagine what it might have felt like if there was a hard piece of metal there.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

The opinions expressed by this poster do not reflect the official stance of Illinois Carry. Apparently there was some confusion on the part of at least one person that it does, and I want to make things clear that my opinion is my own and that whatever the official stance of IC is or is not at present, it may or may not reflect my own opinion.

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

#22 belercous

• Banned
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Not appendix carry, but IWB on left front. Uncle Mike's holster, .38 Taurus snubbie. I usually wear untucked oversize T-shirts.

#23 sirflyguy

• 1,540 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

My aversion to appendix carry has to do with where the gun is pointing when you are seated. I rather like my femoral artery, thank you very much! :(

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

NRA-Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor 

NRA-Certified Range Safety Officer

IL FCCA Approved Instructor

#24 belercous

• Banned
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

That's why I usually carry a subbie. Or a DA (but not DAO) pistol. Most revolvers/semi autos now can't go off with a strike to the hammer.

#25 streakpi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:53 AM

I'm in the market for a new AIWB for my KT PF9. I don't worry about shooting my junk off - the gun is holstered when I strap it on...and it stays holstered when I take it off. I dry fire with snap caps for practice...I have trained to keep my finger away from the trigger...and I am NEVER in a hurry to re-holster (I look down and use two hands). Don't know why people are so caught up on negligent discharges - are y'all planning to have one anyway???? Should not be an increase in your chance to ND just because you carry AIWB vs OWB vs IWB vs SOB vs ankle vs shoulder vs etc etc etc.

With this being said - any ideas for this gun? I own a PJ Holster but am looking for something with a leather sweatguard, yet minimal.

Thanks as always!
NRA, ISRA, VFW, American Legion, and a whole bunch of other acronym-laced associations - yeah, I'm a joiner!!!

Check out my S&W M&P stippling webpage: http://www.a2stippling.com

#26 TyGuy

• 6,064 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:51 AM

What about that one that only covers the trigger guard and lets you mexican carry?
ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread ---- Daily Deals Thread

#27 KingWalleye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

Rogers custom kydex make a very nice appendix rig.

#28 tkroenlein

OFFICIAL MEMBER

• 3,838 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

Take a look at MT Holster Bare Bones. My cousin was pulling this off in the appendix real well.

http://cdn.shopify.c...24x1024.jpg?491

I can't do appendix but I tried it on at 4 o clock and it felt good there to me so I wouldn't worry about it being another holster for the drawer. I believe he said it was only $35. I loved the wide clip too.
You're not done explaining your position until no one can figure out what you're trying to explain.

#29 Houndawg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

My torso isn't long enough to appendix carry.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#30 CAM138

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

I appendix carry a XDm 9mm with a Cross Breed QwikClip. It is quite comfortable but sitting down can be interesting during the summer when I have the gun riding lower to keep from printing.

There are too many horror stories about falling backwards on the gun for me to carry behind me. Besides, I don't like the idea that someone could grab my gun so easily while carrying on the back.

I will admit though, the thought has crossed my mind where the gun is pointed during appendix carry...then I figure I'm married, I don't use it much anyway.