CALL TO ACTION!

abolt243

OK ladies and gentlemen, here's a call to action.

Thanks to Ranger for bringing this new method of communication with our elected officials to our attention. If you look in post #12 of this thread, Ranger does a great job of explaining the process to electronically file "witness slips" to express your support or opposition to bills that are to be heard in a committee. Let's give this a try and see how many slips we can get filed between now and 11:00 a.m. Wednesday the 29th when the Exec committee meets. We'll not file slips in Ag in support of those bills, we feel they will get passed out without too much trouble. But, there are four bills in Executive committee that we should state opposition on: HB4149 = Private sale at FFL; HB4456 = Private sale at FFL; HB5167 = Ammo Tax; and HB5831 = Handgun registration.

Here's the procedure:

Go here, then > Hearings> Executive Committee> Wed Feb 29, 2012> 11:00 a.m.> "locate bill number"> create slip. This brings up the digital slip. Fill out all fields indicated with a red star. You can put "none" for Agency/Title or any others that don't apply. You'll want to check "Record of Appearance Only" at the bottom. Copy the security text at the bottom, I think it is case sensitive. Click "create witness slip". Click "Yes".

You're done!! You can then go back to the committee list and start over to create another slip for a different bill.

Let's get these done, pass the word!! Oppose HB 4149, 4456, 5167 and 5831 in Executive Committee! If you want to make a call to the individual members of the committee, that would certainly be appropriate to as long as it's done respectfully and in good taste!! But, if you don't have time to make all those calls, this is another way to voice your opinion to our elected officials. Let me know if you need help, if I've made a mistake or if you find an easier way!!

Sic 'em!!

Tim

Aren't witness slips primarily intended for companies and other organizations? e.g. so they can officially go "on record" regarding a particular issue?

They don't actually put any pressure on legislators, do they?

No, they are intended for anyone that wants to show support or opposition to the bill that is being considered by the committee. I've filled them out when attending the meeting in person, just to show my position and everyone is encouraged to do the same. We've run this by the people on the ground in S-field, it's another way to influence our legislators and those that sit on committees. The action of the committee members affect everyone in the state as they determine what bills are debated and ultimately voted on and which ones aren't. IIRC, the committee clerk tallies the witness slips and announces the totals during the meeting.

Besides, aren't corporations, companies and organizations people too?? poke.gif

Tim

What is HCA 1 on 5831? I opposed it, hope that's right!

HCA 1 was where they lowered the fees. HCA1 It didn't change the evil concept, but made the fees $20 instead of $65. It's still a terrible bill, but now sligthly less so. I put "no position" on HCA1, since HCA1 does not make the bill worse. (Of course, I put "oppose" on the main bill, which is the point of this exercise.)

Done and Witness Slip page bookmarked for future use.

Question: Is there a similar Witness Slip page for the Senate side?

Good question!! It doesn't appear that the Senate has set up the same system for their committees. To access this site directly, go to ILGA.GOV home page, under House click on committees. In the paragraph at the top of the committee listing, you'll find the link to the digital witness slips. That same link is not shown when you click committee under the Senate side.

Tim

What is HCA 1 on 5831? I opposed it, hope that's right!

HCA 1 was where they lowered the fees. HCA1 It didn't change the evil concept, but made the fees $20 instead of $65. It's still a terrible bill, but now sligthly less so. I put "no position" on HCA1, since HCA1 does not make the bill worse. (Of course, I put "oppose" on the main bill, which is the point of this exercise.)

Exactly right. HCA1 I believe stands for House Committee Amendment number one. They would have to approve the bill, then approve the amendment.

Tim

Aren't witness slips primarily intended for companies and other organizations? e.g. so they can officially go "on record" regarding a particular issue?

They don't actually put any pressure on legislators, do they?

No, they are intended for anyone that wants to show support or opposition to the bill that is being considered by the committee. I've filled them out when attending the meeting in person, just to show my position and everyone is encouraged to do the same. We've run this by the people on the ground in S-field, it's another way to influence our legislators and those that sit on committees. The action of the committee members affect everyone in the state as they determine what bills are debated and ultimately voted on and which ones aren't. IIRC, the committee clerk tallies the witness slips and announces the totals during the meeting.

Besides, aren't corporations, companies and organizations people too?? poke.gif

Tim

Good to know, thanks. Mine are submitted in quadruplicate :headbang1:

Archived