Photo

A Thread For IGOLD Newbies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#31 lee n. field

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

I don't think the Rockford/Mendota bus is stopping for lunch this year. Any ideas for where to find some eats near the convention center?

Rockford is scheduled to pull in at 10:30, I think. A little early for lunch.

Last year I found a little place a block or so away. Concession stands at the Convention Center have hot dogs and nachos. No thanks.
"Woe to you who desire the day of the LORD!
Why would you have the day of the LORD?
It is darkness, and not light,"

#32 junglebob

• 5,054 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

See if this link works for you = Google Search

Somewhere on there they have a search feature where you can put restaurants in. I remember a Bennigans right there.

Anyone else have suggestions other than the concessions inside?

Go to google map, search for " restaurants near prairie capital convention center, springfield, IL". There's a bennigans, starbucks and lindsay's within a half block of the center. Lots of others along the route.

Always the capital cafeteria in the tunnel if you can wait that long. Might rub shoulders with some legislators hiding hanging out down there!!

Tim

Ah yes the tunnell, haven't been there since my 4th grade field trip. I remember if vividly!

That tunnel goes between the capital building and Statton? Stratton?(something like that) building, anyway a building with a lot of legislators offices. Use the tunnel and you don't have to go thru security again.
Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Remember the 1991 Luby Cafeteria Massacre of the Unarmed (Kileen, Texas before Texas Concealed Carry) Do we need 23 people to die in a similar incident before we're allowed effective self defense?

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#33 TFC

• Members
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

And be on the look out for "ringers."
The antis aren't above anything. They may plant a few disruptors.
~If you speak of a gun as a toy, then you see medical waste as playground filler. Yes, it means you're a screwed up individual.~
~"An invasion of mainland America is unwise. Behind every blade of grass a rifle would await us"
-Yamamoto Isoroku
I predicted that Chicago/Cook county will be sold out in order to get "shall issue".
Based on the restrictions on carry in Chicago/Cook County, I was right.

...doing just enough to keep them out of Federal Court...

#34 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,302 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

That tunnel goes between the capital building and Statton? Stratton?(something like that) building, anyway a building with a lot of legislators offices. Use the tunnel and you don't have to go thru security again.

Stratton, named after the 32nd Governor of the state of Illinois, William G. Stratton. Governor from 1953 to 1961. He was aquitted on charges of tax evasion in 1965.
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#35 Yas

• Members
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

The organizers also kept a bus or two to shuttle members that were physically unable to March to the capital building from the convention center. Examples: Bad knees, pregnant, oxygen bottles etc.

#36 Jay6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

I will be attending and have a question about cameras being inside the capital and the convention center? Are they allowed?

#37 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 11,567 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

I will be attending and have a question about cameras being inside the capital and the convention center? Are they allowed?

Cameras are allowed in both locations. The only restriction I know of is no flash in the gallery if legislators are in session.
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#38 sctman800

• Members
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

Everyone please stay focused! Two years ago while meeting with my Senator in his office he suggested he was open to discuss the budget or whatever. I politely informed him I took a day off work and came to Springfield to talk about 2A issues. And that put things back on track. Last year one of the other people in the same Senators office basicly said "we need CCW" then wanted to talk about high speed rail in Illinois.
This is IGOLD, let us not be distracted!!! Jim.
Kristofferson wrote it and Janis sang it "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

#39 4thestars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

This is my first year going. If I make and bring a homemade sign to carry, will we have somewhere to put our signs before we go inside?

#40 Molly B.

• 11,567 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

This is my first year going. If I make and bring a homemade sign to carry, will we have somewhere to put our signs before we go inside?

The capitol maintenance guys plan to place barrels at the Lincoln Statue steps for us to put our signs in. Signs with sticks cannot be taken inside. Signs without sticks cannot be taken above the first floor.
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#41 Cec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

This is my first year going to IGOLD, well actually there are seven of us going for the first time. I have a question that probably has been asked multiple times, but I am asking anyway. Is there any place to buy the shirts, hats, etc before you get to IGOLD other than on-line? I was thinking maybe they sell them on the bus ride up or something.

Thanks

Edited by Cec, 29 February 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#42 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 10,813 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

This is my first year going to IGOLD, well actually there are seven of us going for the first time. I have a question that probably has been asked multiple times, but I am asking anyway. Is there any place to buy the shirts, hats, etc before you get to IGOLD other than on-line? I was thinking maybe they sell them on the bus ride up or something.

Thanks

There will be a table inside the PCCC where the ISRA always has them for sale. It is great to see the sea of gold for the march.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#43 Cec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

Thanks

There will be a table inside the PCCC where the ISRA always has them for sale. It is great to see the sea of gold for the march.

Thanks

#44 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,691 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

Sea of gold, looks kind of like this Posted Image

Posted Image
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks"
-Thomas Jefferson-

Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red, the white, the blue. The other ones got a rattle snake with a simple statement made, don't tread on me, is what it says and I'll take that to my grave
-Aaron Lewis-

#45 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 10,813 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

Isn't that inspiring?

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#46 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,691 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

nranews is coming to IGOLD. Cameron Gray will be covering. He's a great guy, can't wait to meet him!
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks"
-Thomas Jefferson-

Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red, the white, the blue. The other ones got a rattle snake with a simple statement made, don't tread on me, is what it says and I'll take that to my grave
-Aaron Lewis-

#47 TyGuy

• 10,605 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

Any hope of the msm coming to cover it?

ILSP Approved CCW Instructor
NRA Endowment Member
ISRA Member
GOA Member

Buy my stuff!

My favorite post ----- Walmart Thread ----- Ammo Alert Thread ---- Daily Deals Thread

#48 duckies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:21 AM

I'm in the process of convincing my buddies on going. Is the bus from article II filled yet? that would be the closest one I can get to.

Fortis fortuna juvat

#49 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 10,813 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:38 AM

#50 Xwing

• Members
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

Sea of gold, looks kind of like this Posted Image

That picture must've been taken during a year when we had warmer weather at IGOLD. 3 years ago maybe? Some years, the heavy winter coats on everyone cover up the sea of gold. So far, this year looks to be a nice warm IGOLD! Nothing beats marching in 50+ degree weather on a sunny day! But you never know for sure until the day of.
NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
CCW Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#51 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 10,813 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

You're correct. I can tell because of some of the banners. Here is last year with three of the four McDonald Plaintiffs in front.

Attached Images

• 196644_10150126257692200_97479067199_6413497_2666743_n.jpg

#52 Davey

• Members
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Ms. Molly B and Mr. McDonald stick out like sore thumbs. :)

#53 Xwing

• Members
  • 5,971 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

You're correct. I can tell because of some of the banners. Here is last year with three of the four McDonald Plaintiffs in front.

That would be a pic of last year. Most of the "gold" in the crowd was the signs. It was a bit too cold for not wearing a coat. But I'm hopeful for this year...
NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
CCW Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#54 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,691 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Looks like we may need to put some rocks in our pockets before we go march. 21 mph winds
-Thomas Jefferson-

-Aaron Lewis-

#55 Jay6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

Cameras are allowed in both locations. The only restriction I know of is no flash in the gallery if legislators are in session.

Thank you Molly, Hope to meet a few of you in Springfield next week.

#56 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 10,813 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Bumping this up to the top.

Any questions?

#57 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,691 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Here's another tip incase it hasn't been covered. Bring an ink pen and a #2 pencil. You have some things to fill out, there are raffle tickets you may want, there may be important info you want to jot down and you just never know who you'll meet that you want to trade contact info with.
-Thomas Jefferson-

-Aaron Lewis-

#58 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 10,813 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

Here's another tip incase it hasn't been covered. Bring an ink pen and a #2 pencil. You have some things to fill out, there are raffle tickets you may want, there may be important info you want to jot down and you just never know who you'll meet that you want to trade contact info with.

I find bringing those return address labels we all get in the mail work great

#59 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 10,813 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

The long range forecast calls for a high of 62. 10 percent chance of rain but very windy. Be sure to bring a stapler to attach your IGOLD hats!!!

#60 Molly B.

• 11,567 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

Has anyone mentioned bringing a baggie to put all your scanned items in so all you have to do is drop it in the tub, step through the detector, grab the baggie on the other side and keep on moving? Don't stop to put things back in your pockets until you have made it to the rotunda or up the stairs.