Photo

NRA Instructor Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,683 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

On the NRA instructors site it shows I have an experation of 5/31/2012. Does that mean my certification is about to expire? If so why? I just got my credentials last May.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks"
-Thomas Jefferson-

Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red, the white, the blue. The other ones got a rattle snake with a simple statement made, don't tread on me, is what it says and I'll take that to my grave
-Aaron Lewis-

#2 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 7,016 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

What does it say on your credential wallet card?

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
Utah Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Have all boated who fish? Have all boated who fish?

#3 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,683 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

I don't have it with me at the moment. However I was able to get in touch with my counselor and he reminded me that initially cert is good for one year and then you can renew for either 1 or 3 more years. I see where to update/renew on the website now. I have some info that needs to be re-entered on my last 2 students and then I can renew and begin setting up my next classes.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks"
-Thomas Jefferson-

Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red, the white, the blue. The other ones got a rattle snake with a simple statement made, don't tread on me, is what it says and I'll take that to my grave
-Aaron Lewis-

#4 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 7,016 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

When I took my class, we all got processed at the end of the year. Some people got their credentials processed the day before I did and they were good for a year. Those who got theirs processed the next day were good for two years. I've since renewed with the extended version. I'm good to go through 2014.

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
Utah Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Have all boated who fish? Have all boated who fish?

#5 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:38 PM

Hey Drylock, where did you got to take the instructor course? Was there any prerequisites?
"A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but its persistence." - Jim Watkins

Comment on this thread for a chance to win a Glock and a pizza http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=51095

#6 3ddiver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

As far as I know all of the initial certifications are for 1 year. I just renewed today for another 3 years.

#7 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,683 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

I took it at Armed missouri inc. The only pre-req was you must unlearn what you have learned as my counselor put it lol. No there are no pre-requisites but it's a long course, 2 8-10 hour days. But man what an eye opener. It really makes you pause and rethink things when it comes to safety
-Thomas Jefferson-

-Aaron Lewis-

#8 sirflyguy

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

Mine expires the last day of 2012, and I was just certified in basic Pistol and PPITH at end of 2011.

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

NRA-Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor 

NRA-Certified Range Safety Officer

IL FCCA Approved Instructor

#9 Beezil

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

Mine expires the last day of 2012, and I was just certified in basic Pistol and PPITH at end of 2011.

Got my credentials in july....only taught one nra basic pistol class....

I still have to figure out the credential-renewal program

Thanks for posting this....

#10 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,683 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

You know what's amazing is 4 of our next 7 students are taking the basic pistol simply because it satisfies the AZ ccw training requirements. Posted Image
-Thomas Jefferson-

-Aaron Lewis-

#11 Smallbore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

Hey Drylock, where did you got to take the instructor course? Was there any prerequisites?

The only prerequisite required by the NRA is a precourse live fire session to prove basic firearm safety, knowledge and marksmanship. The requirement was removed back in 1998 then for some reason quietly re-instated. This information can be determined in the class. This prerequisit just uses up valuable class time, but it once again must be done.
I believe everyone would get more out of the instructor class if they have taken the basic class first.

#12 Smallbore

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

The only prerequisite required by the NRA is a precourse live fire session to prove basic firearm safety, knowledge and marksmanship. The requirement was removed back in 1998 then for some reason quietly re-instated. This information can be determined in the class. This prerequisit just uses up valuable class time, but it once again must be done.
I believe everyone would get more out of the instructor class if they have taken the basic class first.

#13 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,683 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

Well basically that's part of why it's a 2 day course. The first part is us taking the basic pistol class and the balance is them teaching us how to teach what we just learned.
-Thomas Jefferson-

-Aaron Lewis-

#14 sirflyguy

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

Well basically that's part of why it's a 2 day course. The first part is us taking the basic pistol class and the balance is them teaching us how to teach what we just learned.

In subsequent instructor classes (after you have done one instructor class), you do not need to re-take the BIT (Basic Instructor Training) again. You can just take the part that covers whatever class you are wanting to be trained for. I was under the impression that there was generally a prerequisite of having taken the class that you want to be an instructor for - but that may have just been for the folks that I got my training with. I could be incorrect about that.

Edited by sirflyguy, 27 February 2012 - 10:34 PM.

#15 Smallbore

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:18 AM

The instructor course outline has the new instructor canidate teach the basic firearm course using the teaching principles and methods learned from the six hour Basic Trainers Guide course. The NRA TC does not have time to both teach the basic course then turn around a have the canidates teach it again. The TC does offer help, but that not the same as having experienced several instructors using their knowledge to teach their complete lesson.
I insist that all instructor canidates retake the BTG each time. Repetition is good. I like to build the team spirit by all canidates starting and ending the class as one cohesive group.
The BIC was renamed the Basic Trainers Guide course around 2004. At the time it was used with the Coaches schools.

#16 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,683 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Thank you for the correction. The next discipline I am going for is inside the home self defense instructor. Since we dont' have carry that is what our students are interested in after they take basic pistol.
-Thomas Jefferson-

-Aaron Lewis-

#17 chip

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:49 AM

Thanks for this thread...just renewed my credentials through 2015.
ALSO taking PPITH next. :-)

Edited by chip, 29 February 2012 - 12:50 AM.

Member - Illinois Tactical Officers Association

Member - Second Amendment Foundation

Illinois State Police Approved Instructor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

UTAH BCI Certified Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor

NROI Range Officer
Top Shot Academy

CCW Safe Membership Info

#18 Smallbore

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:09 AM

Though Illinois does not have carry, many have an out of state carry. Perhaps your student will also desire PPOTH later on. It is a good course teaching the basics of drawing from a hoster and a purse, plus other important skills.

#19 sirflyguy

• Members
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:10 AM

Thank you for the correction. The next discipline I am going for is inside the home self defense instructor. Since we dont' have carry that is what our students are interested in after they take basic pistol.

I am glad I took the Personal Protection In the Home (PPITH) instructor course (BTW, there is a timed live-fire drill you have to pass for that certification, so be ready for that! Two shots in two seconds, 7 yards at a paper plate, starting from low-ready position). I do want to do the PPOTH course when I can.