Legislative update 2/27/12

Tvandermyde

Looks like we will have some action this week as we are hearing the City may call it's tax and registration bill and some others.

We will most likely loose the Executive committee votes. That's just the way it is. But I feel pretty good about the floor votes. the over/under on Rahm's bill is 40.

here is a paper on the semi-auto ban, more are in the works for this week that you can use as talking points to get your point across.

As thinkgs happen on the sport, will try to have IL-Gunlobby updated on facebook. If you don't watch it, start.

HB1294pp1.pdf

If your looking for the bill:http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/billstatus.asp?DocNum=1294&GAID=11&GA=97&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=57470&SessionID=84

Synopsis As Introduced

Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Provides that 90 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act, it is unlawful for any person within this State to knowingly manufacture, deliver, sell, purchase, or possess or cause to be manufactured, delivered, sold, purchased, or possessed a semi-automatic assault weapon, an assault weapon attachment, any .50 caliber rifle, or .50 caliber cartridge. Provides that beginning 90 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act, it is unlawful for any person within this State to knowingly manufacture, deliver, sell, purchase, or possess or cause to be manufactured, delivered, sold, purchased, or possessed a large capacity ammunition feeding device. Provides that these provisions do not apply to a person who possessed a prohibited weapon, device, or attachment before the effective date of this amendatory Act if the person has provided proof of ownership to the Department of State Police within 90 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act. Provides that on or after the effective date of this amendatory Act, such person may transfer such device only to an heir, an individual residing in another state maintaining that device in another state, or a dealer licensed as a federal firearms dealer. Specifies penalties for violations. Provides exemptions. Provides that the provisions of the Act are severable. Effective immediately.

Gee isn't that like a registration comrade ?

Im sorry but i don't get the fact sheet. I understand that you should reach out to as many people as possible to oppose this bill. Appealing to handgun owners certainly will do that. However, my initial impression in reading was " ok , so the NRA s problem with this bill is that it wasn't clearly written and would unintentionally ban Glocks ." Isn't the whole damn thing unnaceptable?

Im sorry but i don't get the fact sheet. I understand that you should reach out to as many people as possible to oppose this bill. Appealing to handgun owners certainly will do that. However, my initial impression in reading was " ok , so the NRA s problem with this bill is that it wasn't clearly written and would unintentionally ban Glocks ." Isn't the whole damn thing unnaceptable?

Yes, it's an anti gun bill. Don't waste your time reading it just do what u can to oppose it. My rep is good to go

Yes, it's an anti gun bill. Don't waste your time reading it just do what u can to oppose it. My rep is good to go

I understand, but aren't these pieces supposed to be used to bolster our arguments when trying to convince others? Someone who is not as familiar with the issues as those of us here could easily get the impression from this paper that the rest of the bill is acceptable, its just the sloppy drafting that we don't like. I have spent years trying to educate people i know about the whole made up " assault weapon" issue. I think we have come a long way in countering the lies of the antis about these firearms. The popularity of the AR platform is evidence of that. Why not continue that message in opposing this latest threat.

I guess the pros that put this stuff together know better that me how to reach people. Ill continue to call, fax, and write. I will also continue taking new shooters out to have fun with ARs and AKs.

I understand, but aren't these pieces supposed to be used to bolster our arguments when trying to convince others? Someone who is not as familiar with the issues as those of us here could easily get the impression from this that the rest of the bill is acceptable, its just the sloppy drafting that we don't like. I have spent years trying to educate people i know about the whole made up " assault weapon" issue. I think we have come along way in countering the lies of the antis about these firearms. The popularity of the AR platform is evidence of that. Why not continue that message in opposing this latest threat.

I guess the pros that put this stuff together know better that me how to reach people. Ill continue to call, fax, and write. I will also continue taking new shooters to have fun with ARs and AKs.

Yes I see your point completely. In regards I feel that a great way to show someone would be to show hands on what the difference between an "assault weapon" and a semi auto are with emphasis on barrel shrouds and pistol grips

My FAL is too heavy to be an "assault weapon", in fact I think a determining characteristic should be that the signing governor has to run three miles with it with a fully loaded magazine in the ready position, wearing boots and utes and successfully pass through an infiltration course after three days of rain in order for the firearm to qualify for this description. Oh and then he has to complete a house to house clearing drill, that being the "assault" portion.

I get your sentiment, but I have to disagree with your logic behind this statement. Being knowledgeable about what you are opposing (or supporting) is a very important concept when dealing with Legislation. Knowing what, specifically, makes the Bill "bad/good" is important. It lends credibility to your argument when you can explain specifically why (beyond the rote text of the 2nd Amendment) you oppose/support a given bill.

While the members of this board (and those Politicians who are on "our" side) understand why you might oppose/support a Bill, the opposition (or more likely the undecided/fence sitters) might need convincing. Being able to articulate why the Bill is good/bad IS important. When dealing with those who are undecided, persuasion is paramount. Knowing what you are talking about lends credence to your position

Also, reading the Bill can answer questions/ease concerns you might have. For example, there have been countless individuals who speculate that if/when HB148 passes and become law, the cost for a CCW permit will be in the $300-500 range (not including the cost of instruction). The bill indentifies the cost of the permit ($100) as well as the cost of renewal ($50). Furthermore, the Bill outlines what the criteria for getting the CCW permit will be, as well as what you have to do in order to renew the permit.

All:

FWIW: It is extremely easy and quick to provide a witness slip electronically either in support or opposition to a bill.

Just find out what the bill is (familiarize yourself with it so you can make an educated judgement whether to support or oppose) and which committee it will go through and then go to…

http://witnessslips.ilga.gov/

and hunt for it. For instance, here are some under Executive Committee right now…

http://witnessslips.ilga.gov/Hearing/Detail?committeeHearingId=9563

See any of interest? I think there may be one at top of list and one at bottom (scroll down). If so, click on the create slip next to the item and then complete the form. It literally takes less than a minute.

On the bottom of the form, you can choose between Oral, Written Statement Filed or Record of Appearance Only.

Select Oral only if you plan to appear in person and provide oral testimony.

Select Written Statement Filed only if you plan to provide written testimony.

Select Record of Appearance Only if you wish to express your support or opposition to the bill; but do not plan to provide oral or provide written testimony. Most of us will likely choose this option…

That is all there is to it.

You should still contact your legislators; but this is yet another way to be "heard". Now switch over to that site and be "heard". ;-)

Ranger…

Ya know... I know we have some volunteers tracking legislation. I wonder if this would also be worthwhile to track / post updates on (i.e. which bills, which committees, which dates, if we should file a slip to oppose or support)...

Ya know... I know we have some volunteers tracking legislation. I wonder if this would also be worthwhile to track / post updates on (i.e. which bills, which committees, which dates, if we should file a slip to oppose or support)...

Ranger, committee activity is included in the daily General Assembly update threads when there is something to include. Like floor activity, it is a "same day" update rather than predictive. Often, retrospective updates are also added later that day and/or the following day.

I don't know about the witness slips but I suspect that are not intended as a method for taking a popular vote.

Ranger, committee activity is included in the daily General Assembly update threads when there is something to include. Like floor activity, it is a "same day" update rather than predictive. Often, retrospective updates are also added later that day and/or the following day.

I don't know about the witness slips but I suspect that are not intended as a method for taking a popular vote.

Interesting. I know you fill out witness slips when attending committee hearings in person, even if you aren't making a presentation. It's just a record that you were there and your position on the issue. Not sure if filling one out "in absentia" will carry any weight or just create work for the clerk that will be pointless.

I'll check with a guy who knows.

Tim

The point of the paper is to show that while they talk about "assault weapons" it is a very broad based gun ban that scoops up one of the most common handguns.

That there are thing burried in the bill to expand the gun ban as wide as possible.

you guy think like gun guys . These are aimed at people who don't know anything about guns.

I.e. Its not about big scary assault weapons, its about banning as many guns as we can and getting that point across.

Keep up on il gunlobby as thing heat upmwe will have updates there. We alsomhave a twitter feed.

We also post more articles of interest than get posted here, so you will see the top stories from around the country.

Tell you what, I am getting off my a** tonight and ordering some more "assault clips" for every gun I own.

Anti's don't let any national tragedy go unexploited so watch for a push in the next few days after this school shooting that happened over in OH today.

Not to hijack but interesting hypothetical question to all of you:

Given the choice, would you rather register an "assault" weapon under this new statute or remove to to a family or personal property out of state?

This thing passes a number of my "evil scary guns" will be making the trek to the family property in Wisconsin.

OK ladies and gentlemen, here's a call to action.

Thanks to Ranger for bringing this new method of communication with our elected officials to our attention. If you look in post #12 of this thread, Ranger does a great job of explaining the process to electronically file "witness slips" to express your support or opposition to bills that are to be heard in a committee. Let's give this a try and see how many slips we can get filed between now and 11:00 a.m. Wednesday the 29th when the Exec committee meets. We'll not file slips in Ag in support of those bills, we feel they will get passed out without too much trouble. There are four bills in Executive committee that we should state opposition on: HB4149 = Private sale at FFL; HB4456 = Private sale at FFL; HB5167 = Ammo Tax; and HB5831 = Handgun registration.

Here's the procedure:

Follow Ranger's link, then >Hearings>/Executive Committee>Wed Feb 29, 2012>11:00 a.m.>"locate bill number">create slip. This brings up the digital slip. Fill out all fields indicated with a red star. You can put "none" for Agency/Title or any others that don't apply. Mark "Record of Appearance Only" at the bottom. Copy the security text at the bottom, I think it is case sensitive. Click "create witness slip". Click "Yes".

You're done!! You can then go back to the committee list and start over to create another slip for a different bill.

Let's get these done, pass the word!! Oppose HB 4149, 4456, 5167 and 5831 in Executive Committee! If you want to make a call to the individual members of the committee, that would certainly be appropriate to as long as it's done respectfully and in good taste!! But, if you don't have time to make all those calls, this is another way to voice your opinion to our elected officials.

Sic 'em!!

Tim

Thanks Tim! FWIW: A lobbyist that I work with in a life outside Illinoiscarry recommended all the like minded individuals in our group file those witness slips on issues so I figured it was a good thing for us here too. I don't think it adds extra work for anyone as suspect they just look at the tally in favor and opposed.

Tell you what, I am getting off my a** tonight and ordering some more "assault clips" for every gun I own.

Anti's don't let any national tragedy go unexploited so watch for a push in the next few days after this school shooting that happened over in OH today.

Not to hijack but interesting hypothetical question to all of you:

Given the choice, would you rather register an "assault" weapon under this new statute or remove to to a family or personal property out of state?

This thing passes a number of my "evil scary guns" will be making the trek to the family property in Wisconsin.

That's the spirit ...

Archived