Photo

Arizona...under-rated non-res CCP?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Beezil

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

I was wondering if any of you certified pistol instructors are advising your students who are taking your basic pistol course about the merits of an arizona permit?

less expensive than florida, descent reciprocity.

your thoughts?

#2 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 10,743 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

I've got one. I also have FL and PA as FL does not recognize an AZ permit.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#3 Xwing

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

I was wondering if any of you certified pistol instructors are advising your students who are taking your basic pistol course about the merits of an arizona permit?

less expensive than florida, descent reciprocity.

your thoughts?

AZ gives you NV, and is the only easy to acquire non-res permit that does. Very good reciprocity.
NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
CCW Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)

#4 Beezil

• 2,271 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

Part of me asking this is from an instructors point of view.

I also have an AZ. IIRC, AZ required the 8hr. basic pistol....florida seems fine with a general 4 hr. course.

AZ and FL have almost the same reciprocity...AZ is a damn good permit to have it seems.

It is also less expensive.

the only difference in "market demand" it seems, would be to get a more expensive RTC permit in half as much classroom time?

I have a few friends that want me to do a pistol course, one is a brand new shooter that really wants to learn something, and the other folks want a RTC permit. I explained that the florida will cost 117 bucks, which there was some disappointment over.

I really want to do a basic pistol, and follow the exact lesson plan as i was taught. Since I am doing this at no cost, I want to gain experience in the instructor role, I also need to satify the requirement for doing one NRA basic Pistol class within the year.

again, this is for friends at this point, i just want to be sure i'm presenting suitable options that we may both benefit from

#5 phorvick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Assuming you do not need coverage in Minnesota, the AZ permit is better than Utah's. AZ does NOT require an 8 hour class. If you have a permit from a State that requires training (Oh, say UT or FL), you can get the AZ permit by supplying a copy of your other permit. You could also take any NRA pistol class and it is valid for AZ. I highly recommend the AZ permit. What makes it marginally less useful for IL residents is that you still need either a permit from some other State or NRA training.

#6 Will S.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

I have FL and am getting the AZ. The reason is Wisconsin. They don't recognize FL's permit but they do recognize AZ.

#7 rock4xfab

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

What states recognize my permit? SEE permit options below to select the best options for your individual needs and coverage.

Arizona CCW Permit Non-Resident

AK, AL, AR, AZ

DE, GA, IA, ID,

IN, KS, KY, LA,

MO, MS, MT, NE,

NC, ND, NM, NV

OH, OK, PA, SD,

TN, TX, UT, VA,

VT, WI, WV, WY

TOTAL 32 STATES

Florida CCW Permit Non-Resident

AK, AL, AR, AZ

DE, FL, GA, IA,

ID, IN, KS, KY,

LA, MO, MS, MT,

NE, NC, ND, NM,

OH, OK, PA, SD,

TN, TX, UT, VA,

VT, WA, WV, WY

TOTAL 32 STATES

Iowa CCW Permit Residents Only

AK, AL, AR, AZ

CO, FL, IA, ID,

IN, KY, LA, MI,

MO, MT, NE, NC,

ND, OK, SD, TN,

TX, UT, VT, WI, WY

TOTAL 25 STATES

Utah CFP Permit Non-Resident

AK, AL, AR, AZ

DE, GA, IA, ID,

IN, KY, LA, MN,

MO, MS, MT, NE,

NC, ND, OH, OK,

PA, SD, TN, TX,

UT, VA, VT, WA,

WI, WV, WY

TOTAL 31 STATES

Wisconsin CCL Residents Only

AK, AR, AZ, CO,

IA, ID, IN, KY,

LA, MI, MO, MT,

NC, ND, NM, OK,

PA, SD, TN, UT,

VT, WI

TOTAL 22 STATES

#8 duckies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

I just finally had the time today to call in and ask for the app, just sent in my FL CCW. Should I also look into getting a UT CCW?

Fortis fortuna juvat

#9 boog

• Members
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

I just finally had the time today to call in and ask for the app, just sent in my FL CCW. Should I also look into getting a UT CCW?

You bet you should.
Boog

CarrySafely.com

Illinois Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

#10 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• 6,703 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

I really want to do a basic pistol, and follow the exact lesson plan as i was taught. Since I am doing this at no cost, I want to gain experience in the instructor role, I also need to satify the requirement for doing one NRA basic Pistol class within the year.

Depending on when you do this class, I would be willing to assist as an assistant instructor. I've fullfilled my instructor requirement, so I'm only looking for experience in the assistant role. I realize it is at no cost, that's not a concern for me. Happy to do it, PM me if interested.

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
Utah Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Have all boated who fish? Have all boated who fish?

#11 Viper

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

I have FL and am getting the AZ. The reason is Wisconsin. They don't recognize FL's permit but they do recognize AZ.

New here to this game and site. Is there one on-line site that has all the reciprocates in CC permits spelled out?

#12 Will S.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

This is a pretty good site for that...
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Just remember, if you plan to travel it is best to check with each state you plan to travel to in case anything has changed.

#13 skottieusa

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

The CCW app by XWing is nice too!

#14 Will S.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

The CCW app by XWing is nice too!

I'll second that. I have that app on my phone.

#15 Odyssey Firearms

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

I am new to IllinoisCarry.com and initially joined only to ask a question about Downer's Grove carry laws. However, I am a neighbor to you guys and gals here and Iowa and am also an NRA Training Counselor and will be getting my Utah Instructors Permit in May. Do you guys feel there is a need for more courses in Illinois? I would be willing to travel and put on a course if there is an interest. Cost will depend on travel expenses and lodging in Illinois. I very much appreciate the feedback.

#16 Odyssey Firearms

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Iowa CCW Permit Residents Only

AK, AL, AR, AZ

CO, FL, IA, ID,

IN, KY, LA, MI,

MO, MT, NE, NC,

ND, OK, SD, TN,

TX, UT, VT, WI, WY

TOTAL 25 STATES

Iowa currently covers a total of 28 states, they are however a RESIDENT ONLY state:

Alabama Kentucky Pennsylvania
Alaska Louisiana South Dakota
Arizona Michigan Tennessee
Arkansas Missouri Texas
Colorado Montana Utah
Florida Nebraska Vermont
Georgia New HampshireWisconsin
Idaho North Carolina Wyoming
Indiana North Dakota
Iowa Oklahoma

Edited by Odyssey Firearms, 20 March 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#17 Gunslinger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Since mentioning my veteran status in my introductory post I was informed that there are a lot of veterans on this forum so I guess this is relevant: a DD-214 or copy of you military ID if you are still on active duty is like a waiver for the training requirement of BOTH Florida and Arizona's permit but not Utah's. Just to be clear I think everyone should get some sort of formal training even if it is just from a friend, I don't think it should be mandatory though. Useful info for veterans, think of what else you could do with the money you would have spent on the class. I also think its somewhat ironic (maybe not the best word) to apply for an Arizona permit as a non-resident since you only need it for reciprocity, it is not needed in Arizona anymore unless you want to carry in a bar, but where is the fun in not drinking? A designated driver/shooter I guess?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
The Second Amendment IS my concealed weapons permit.... Period!-Ted Nugent

Example of Combat Logic:

Marine #1-"You can't just add zeros to the end of a 6 digit grid to make a 10 digit...."
Marine #2-"Sure you can, the GPS accepted it and now we are on our way!"

#18 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,671 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

Don't forget that on FL and AZ if you have a hunter safety certificate you can use that as "proof of training".
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks"
-Thomas Jefferson-

Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red, the white, the blue. The other ones got a rattle snake with a simple statement made, don't tread on me, is what it says and I'll take that to my grave
-Aaron Lewis-

#19 kurt555gs

• Members
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

My AZ permit application came in the mail today. I got it because NM dropped Florida a week or two ago. NM dropped Utah last year. They seem awfully anti gun for a Southwest state.

In any case, this will give me back NM, and Nevada ( that also dropped UT some time ago ) as a bonus.
Kurt on G+

#20 JackTripper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

When was the last time you went to New Mexico?
:D
Come and knock on my door. I'll be waiting for you.

#21 kurt555gs

• Members
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

Last year. I like to roam around down there TX, NM, AZ, NV and CA a couple of times a year on my Spyder, or in a car.
Kurt on G+

#22 3ddiver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

I dont see anywhere how long the permit is valid for. Did I miss it or does someone know? It also doesnt say it must be LE to fingerprint. Can I fingerprint myself?I have been fingerprinted so many times I feel like I am a pro. :D

#23 papa

• 3,932 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

I dont see anywhere how long the permit is valid for. Did I miss it or does someone know? It also doesnt say it must be LE to fingerprint. Can I fingerprint myself?I have been fingerprinted so many times I feel like I am a pro. :D

This page should answer your questions>>>

http://www.handgunla...tes/arizona.pdf

If you look at the license near the bottom of the page it shows that it is good for 5 years.

#24 Gunslinger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

You don't need a CCW to carry in your vehicle concealed or open so just passing through with a Florida or Utah permit would be a non issue, you can always OC there outside your vehicle as well.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
The Second Amendment IS my concealed weapons permit.... Period!-Ted Nugent

Example of Combat Logic:

Marine #1-"You can't just add zeros to the end of a 6 digit grid to make a 10 digit...."
Marine #2-"Sure you can, the GPS accepted it and now we are on our way!"

#25 junglebob

• 4,974 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

If you travel to Minnesota a Utah LTC is good, but not Arizona or Florida. A friend of mine showed me his Utah LTC yesterday, I told him about Boogs class a couple months ago. He has family in Minnesota. Utah covers surrounding states except Michigan which doesn't recognize non-resident LTC. They don't issue a non-resident LTC. Open carry is allowed but not in a vehicle without a LTC, so Illinoisans are screwed when it comes to carry while traveling in Michigan.

BTW, I just edited it today because I had said "If you travel to Minnesota a Utah LTC is good, but not an Arizona or Utah, corrected that to be Arizona or Florida.

Edited by junglebob, 19 January 2013 - 12:12 PM.

Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Remember the 1991 Luby Cafeteria Massacre of the Unarmed (Kileen, Texas before Texas Concealed Carry) Do we need 23 people to die in a similar incident before we're allowed effective self defense?

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)