Photo

Problem registering a rifle in Chicago

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 Joeyl

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hey everyone I'm looking for any advice on how I should proceed. I bought one of these Cool Rifle and tried registering it with Chicago. I received a denial letter today stating that it is an assault weapon. I thought that after F.F.'s win over the city with his SKS that this would be a no-brainer and not be an issue. I guess I miscalculated. :thumbsup: I plan on filing for an administrative hearing, (and in the meantime securing space outside the city to store it,) even though it looks like the Wilson case will eventually(hopefully) make this a moot issue. Any advice is appreciated.

#2 mstrat

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Hey everyone I'm looking for any advice on how I should proceed. I bought one of these Cool Rifle and tried registering it with Chicago. I received a denial letter today stating that it is an assault weapon. I thought that after F.F.'s win over the city with his SKS that this would be a no-brainer and not be an issue. I guess I miscalculated. :thumbsup: I plan on filing for an administrative hearing, (and in the meantime securing space outside the city to store it,) even though it looks like the Wilson case will eventually(hopefully) make this a moot issue. Any advice is appreciated.

I'm not familiar with the city's ordinance, but I'm fairly certain the pistol grip would violate the Cook County ordinance.
ProtectIllinois.org: Share this link to teach others about RTC in IL

#3 JackTripper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

Good luck. But for your general knowledge, there is no case law in this state to make bullet button type rifles legal in Cook/Chicago.
Come and knock on my door. I'll be waiting for you.

#4 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• 9,218 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

I'm not familiar with the city's ordinance, but I'm fairly certain the pistol grip would violate the Cook County ordinance.

Technically the rifle should be ok, because the pistol grip only matters if the magazine is detachable. However, my case against Chicago only dealt with unmodified rifles (original condition). It could be that the rifle you show can be successfully registered if the case is made that the rifle is not an "assault weapon" modified to be in compliance, but an original condition rifle (as issued, so to speak). Given that it is manufactured by a "reputable" firearm manufacturer, I think the argument could prevail.

Or the case might be made that original condition does not matter. The rifle meets the standard regardless of how it came to be. That would be the next logical baby-step, in my opinion.

I highly recommend you have a lawyer at your Administrative hearing. I lost both times that I tried to handle it myself. My victory in the SKS rifle suit relied completely on having counsel.

You could give Joel Brodsky a call.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#5 drdoom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:31 PM

Convert it into a straight-pull rifle

#6 Smittyp83

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

Don't you realize that an adjustable stock makes any rifle much more dangerous???
[Posted Image

#7 samy12386

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

I don't have advice, good luck and if u get it registered check out one of these http://www.riflegear...tool-combo.aspx I had one in my AR while living in California. Great when your in America or if SHTF
SEMPER FI

#8 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

Federal's win did not go quite this far, but when we win wilson look out
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

#9 Joeyl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hey everyone I'm looking for any advice on how I should proceed. I bought one of these Cool Rifle and tried registering it with Chicago. I received a denial letter today stating that it is an assault weapon. I thought that after F.F.'s win over the city with his SKS that this would be a no-brainer and not be an issue. I guess I miscalculated. :yes1: I plan on filing for an administrative hearing, (and in the meantime securing space outside the city to store it,) even though it looks like the Wilson case will eventually(hopefully) make this a moot issue. Any advice is appreciated.

Technically the rifle should be ok, because the pistol grip only matters if the magazine is detachable. However, my case against Chicago only dealt with unmodified rifles (original condition). It could be that the rifle you show can be successfully registered if the case is made that the rifle is not an "assault weapon" modified to be in compliance, but an original condition rifle (as issued, so to speak). Given that it is manufactured by a "reputable" firearm manufacturer, I think the argument could prevail.

Or the case might be made that original condition does not matter. The rifle meets the standard regardless of how it came to be. That would be the next logical baby-step, in my opinion.

I highly recommend you have a lawyer at your Administrative hearing. I lost both times that I tried to handle it myself. My victory in the SKS rifle suit relied completely on having counsel.

You could give Joel Brodsky a call.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'll give Mr. Brodsky's office a call Monday and find out exactly what this might entail resource wise. Worst case, I represent myself, lose and wait out the Wilson case.

#10 vactor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:24 PM

what about a Springfield Socom 16? no pistol grip or any other evilness ... seems like it can be registered ...
Forty Two

#11 Joeyl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

what about a Springfield Socom 16? no pistol grip or any other evilness ... seems like it can be registered ...

Thats a sweet looking rifle, but way out of my price range. Shouldn't have a problem with the city, but you never know I guess. This sucks, I'm not trying to blaze a trail, just follow their stupid laws.

Edited by Joeyl, 06 February 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#12 RandyP

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

Good luck, but if they bring up a picture of that model, the pistol grip is gonna get it in trouble. My High Point 995 ASSAULT RIFLE, lives in Indiana, though very few armed forces across the globe have it as their beach storming firearm of choice - LOL

#13 ChiShooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:34 AM

First - joeyl, good luck with the case and hope you win this. This will be very interesting to watch.

Second, in regards to this :

Isn't Wilson Cook-county specific ? Chicago has their own gun laws not related to Cook County - how would Wilson affect Chicago ? Would it be just as a leverage to other lawsuits or is there something in there that would also apply to Chicago ?

#14 mstrat

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

Isn't Wilson Cook-county specific ? Chicago has their own gun laws not related to Cook County - how would Wilson affect Chicago ? Would it be just as a leverage to other lawsuits or is there something in there that would also apply to Chicago ?

My non-expert understanding is that it depends what kind of ruling they give on Wilson. If, for example, they rule on 2nd Amendment grounds, or regarding preemption of the wildlife code... then it would also apply to the city. On the other hand, they could also make a ruling that holds no significance for other cases, laws, or situations.
ProtectIllinois.org: Share this link to teach others about RTC in IL

#15 Bud

• Members
  • 6,339 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

First - joeyl, good luck with the case and hope you win this. This will be very interesting to watch.

Second, in regards to this :

The decision on Wilson will mostly likely involve preemption. If the Judge rules that the Cook County Ordinance violates State law then Cook County and everybody else (Oak Park, Chicago, Aurora) are all out of luck.
Bud

"The lesson this teaches and which every Afro-American should ponder well, is that a Winchester rifle should have a place of honor in every black home"

Ida B. Wells 1862-1931

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#16 vactor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

Good luck, but if they bring up a picture of that model, the pistol grip is gonna get it in trouble. My High Point 995 ASSAULT RIFLE, lives in Indiana, though very few armed forces across the globe have it as their beach storming firearm of choice - LOL

the SA Socom and M1 Scout do not have pistol grips ...
Forty Two

#17 Joeyl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

I won. Although really a non-issue to the rest of the state, who are fighting much bigger and important battles. I now legally own my rifle. The city has a month to appeal if they choose.

#18 Patriots & Tyrants

• 3,044 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

I won. Although really a non-issue to the rest of the state, who are fighting much bigger and important battles. I now legally own my rifle. The city has a month to appeal if they choose.

Xongrats man, every victory against the anti's is a victory for us all and a step in the right direction.

#19 Davey

• Members
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

Can you give us any specifics? I'm curious.

#20 Joeyl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:58 AM

Yeah, the Chicago ordinace bans assault weapons which they define (for a semi-auto rifle) simply as one that has a detachable magazine and has one or more of five listed "features". So basically I just proved that there is a commonly accepted definition of a detachable magazine as being one that can be removed without the use of a tool and that definition exactly described how my rifle worked (so therefore it could have any number of the extra "features"). Seems common sense but still a big pain in the buttocks to deal with this.

Edited by Joeyl, 27 February 2012 - 06:36 AM.

#21 samy12386

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

Nice. Congrats.
SEMPER FI

#22 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• 6,439 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:28 AM

Joeyl, did you tackle this on your own, or did you have a lawyer argue your case? Was this in front of a judge?

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
Utah Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Have all boated who fish? Have all boated who fish?

#23 Joeyl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

Joeyl, did you tackle this on your own, or did you have a lawyer argue your case? Was this in front of a judge?

I consulted the attorney that FF mentioned (nice guy by the way and a good contact to keep on the old Rolodex) but for a couple of reasons I wound up doing this myself. This was a Chicago administrative hearing, held by an "Administrative Law Judge". What that means in the judicial pecking order I really don't know.

#24 samy12386

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

Well good work bro you may have created a precedence.
SEMPER FI

#25 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• 9,218 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

I consulted the attorney that FF mentioned (nice guy by the way and a good contact to keep on the old Rolodex) but for a couple of reasons I wound up doing this myself. This was a Chicago administrative hearing, held by an "Administrative Law Judge". What that means in the judicial pecking order I really don't know.

Congratulations!

Those Administrative Law Judges are lawyers hired by the City.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#26 ChiShooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, the Chicago ordinace bans assault weapons which they define (for a semi-auto rifle) simply as one that has a detachable magazine and has one or more of five listed "features". So basically I just proved that there is a commonly accepted definition of a detachable magazine as being one that can be removed without the use of a tool and that definition exactly described how my rifle worked (so therefore it could have any number of the extra "features"). Seems common sense but still a big pain in the buttocks to deal with this.

Sweet - congrats. How did you make this rifle to have non-detachable magazine ? Did you use bullet-button ?

#27 Yas

• Members
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

I'd say everybody crosses their fingers and keep a lid on this for 30 days to see if this slips thru the cracks. :lips sealed: Did any of the city reps show any surprise on the finding? Was the decision announced at the hearing ?

Edited by Yas, 27 February 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#28 Joeyl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

There's a link in the first post to the specific model of rifle I have, it's a S&W that comes from the factory with a fixed magazine. The decision was not announced at the hearing it took several days. Hopefully they're too worried about the upcoming g8, and other myriad things to really care. Just like we have to work on defeating their proposed nonsense bills.

#29 samy12386

• Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

To the OP: did u check out the radlocks I posted a link to above?
SEMPER FI

#30 Xwing

• Members
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

Joeyl, congrants on your win in court! Nice to hear that the city is actually following its own laws in this instance. (Of course, all of them are un-constitutional and should be scrapped wholesale, but that's a much bigger picture issue.)
NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
CCW Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)