Photo

Chicago Police Superintendent McCarthy blames guns in Chicago on "gun show loophole"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#1 bradford

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

maybe someone forgot to tell him that Illinois already requires a background check for gun show purchases.

"McCarthy...used the occasion to call on Congress to close what he called loopholes in federal gun laws. McCarthy said two key ways for crooks to get guns in Chicago are loosely regulated gun shows..."

http://www.suntimes....op-killing.html

Edited by bradford, 05 January 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#2 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

Just another puppet I chose to ignore.
...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#3 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• 9,306 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

I logged in and up/down voted the comments to show my support.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#4 sctman800

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

I must disagree, I have been reading about him on Second City Cop blog since he came to Chicago. He is not a puppet, he is his own "piece of work" self, and was that way before he to Chicago. Jim.
Kristofferson wrote it and Janis sang it "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

#5 milq

• Members
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:41 AM

Puppet or not, I worry that many good folks DON'T ignore him and simply take him at his word. He's in a position that affords him media whenever he wants it and can get away with spreading lies such as this at his leisure really. Ignoring him could be disastrous, I wish we could get as much time in the media to refute his BS.
Good night Chesty, wherever you are.

Visit my Illinois RTC/Pro 2A blog: Steel on Target

#6 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

I must disagree, I have been reading about him on Second City Cop blog since he came to Chicago. He is not a puppet, he is his own "piece of work" self, and was that way before he to Chicago. Jim.

If you think that someone put into a seat like his isn't taking orders from someone else, you'd be naive. I will agree that he does step in his own 5hit from time to time.

Puppet or not, I worry that many good folks DON'T ignore him and simply take him at his word. He's in a position that affords him media whenever he wants it and can get away with spreading lies such as this at his leisure really. Ignoring him could be disastrous, I wish we could get as much time in the media to refute his BS.

Fortunately we have the internet. Those that don't ignore him are sheep. Everyone here knows who those people are. Those that have caught on or are catching on to Chicago's style of politics can see through the smoke and mirrors. Unfortunately some people's minds cannot be changed.
...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#7 DoYouFeelLucky

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

It's too bad that we can't quantitatively tie false claims like this to economic costs to the city and thus the residents of the city. That would pave the way for a class-action lawsuit for incompetence and false-claims that would shake them up. Otherwise the Chief Po-Po should focus on the real problems impacting crime in the city. Of course, it's much easier to spout off claims like this and "appear" to be doing something, rather than have to face up to the fact that he's not capable of dealing with the real problems.
Freedom has a cost, and a free society must always be vigilant and ready to defend themselves against those that would misuse those freedoms to harm others. You cannot legislate the protection of free people, they must turn to themselves to preserve and maintain their freedom. Copyright 2012 Niner8Zulu Consulting

#8 bradford

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

Those of us who live within his jurisdiction do not have the luxury of ignoring him. I would also submit that if the state ever wants to get CCW passed, it would help to attempt to turn the tide in the City of Chicago. Sticking your head in the sand does not help.

#9 lockman

• Members
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

McCarthy said two key ways for crooks to get guns in Chicago are loosely regulated gun shows and “straw buyers” whose lack of a criminal record allows them to purchase weapons for criminals at federally licensed gun stores.

I always thought stolen guns were the primary source. It is nice to know burglars no longer steal and sell guns.
"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1776

Life Member NRA, ISRA, CCRKBA & SAF

#10 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,323 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

Those of us who live within his jurisdiction do not have the luxury of ignoring him. I would also submit that if the state ever wants to get CCW passed, it would help to attempt to turn the tide in the City of Chicago. Sticking your head in the sand does not help.

There is an ongoing effort to do just that by many here on this forum. Read back through some of the archives to see what IS being done to turn the tide and why we believe that the good people of Chicago are ready to exercise ALL of their rights. Many more town halls scheduled for Jan/Feb. as well as efforts to replace some of the anti gunners with those of like mind to us. If you can/would help, contact Molly via PM here on this site.

Tim
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#11 Bud

• Members
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

I have read this several times and am still trying to figure out exactly what you meant.

"turn the tide in the City of Chicago".................turn what tide? The crime tide? There is no crime tide in Chicago they have once again lowered the crime rate according to McCarthy. (Of course, you can tell from the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports because they don't accept input from Chicago because of "skewed" reports)

Turn the tide of what? Stopt the shooting down innocent citizens by people who the Chicago police never seem to catch so they beat confressions out of surviving citizens in order to show an arrest? Stop the endless tide of corrupt Chicago politicians and police officers who end up in Federal prisons?

The entire rest of Illinois is having to suffer draconian and what has already been proven as unconstitutional laws because of Chicago politicians who are desperately afraid to allow their citizens any form of self defense.

No, seriously, what should the whole rest of the State of Illinois do to "turn the tide in the City of Chicago"?

Bud

Dico Tibi Verum, Libertas Optima Rerum Nunquam Servili Sub Nexu Vivito, Fili.

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#12 bradford

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

I thought the meaning blatantly obvious, but let me spell it out:

"Turn the tide" as in convince the general populace and politicians that continuing to be anti-CCW is not in anyone's best interest.

My post was in response to this post:

So, to answer your question "what should the whole rest of the State of Illinois do to "turn the tide in the City of Chicago"? I would submit that simply ignoring Gerry McCarthy's BS anti-gun, inaccurate rhetoric is not the best course of action. It has been shown that the Chicago machine has historically had the ability to kill CCW for the entire state. Therefore, even if you're not in Chicago (and it seems like most of this forum are suburbanites or ruralites), it's still in your best interest to speak your mind when you hear the Superintendent run his mouth.

#13 Black Flag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

No, seriously, what should the whole rest of the State of Illinois do to "turn the tide in the City of Chicago"?

You should read the inspirational postings by BudMan5 and others. Posted Image

We will help turn the tide in Chicago by supporting the people there that are willing to stand up for their rights.

Edited by Black Flag, 05 January 2012 - 04:36 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Sigma

• Members
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

I hate to sound insensitive but look what happens when an off duty Police officer gets shot. Door to door? Do you see the cop in the picture walking with a rifle that is banned in cook county.
How many people are shot and no one cares. Never even reported. How many cold case homicides in the past 3 years?
Its horrible what happened but if they did this for every murder...
Exodus 22:2-3
If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed.

Gun control is not about guns, it's about control. Once they have all the guns, they'll also have complete control.-Abolt

Guns kill people just like beds get girls pregnant.

#15 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,323 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

I hate to sound insensitive but look what happens when an off duty Police officer gets shot. Door to door? Do you see the cop in the picture walking with a rifle that is banned in cook county.
How many people are shot and no one cares. Never even reported. How many cold case homicides in the past 3 years?
Its horrible what happened but if they did this for every murder...

Sigma,

I have to agree. I'm sure that police officer was dedicated, good at his job (82 commendations?), cared for the neighborhood, and loved by all. I offer my condolences to his family, fiance', and friends. But it's pretty obvious the inequality here. 200 officers assigned just to canvas the neighborhood? Officers walking the streets with M16/M4's going door to door? Do they really think that the killer(s) are anywhere close to that neighborhood?? I've not heard of that kind of effort expended to capture the killers in other murders.

And before Budman and the other LEOS here jump up and down, understand, I'm not in any way demeaning the police officers killed in the line of duty nor am I minimizing the job that they do everyday. I'm not degrading them at all. I hold all honest police officers, firemen, EMT's and other emergecy workers in the highest regard. I've done a little of that work. It's not easy.

I'm just wondering why the other murders don't warrant this kind of attention.

Tim
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#16 bradford

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

Perhaps the best way to counter the misinformation found in the article to which I linked would be to post correct information in the comments of the story in the hopes that a casual reader will not be swayed by McCarthy's statements. If you can't connect the dots, you'll note that there are comments from a user named Bradford doing just that. That would be me.

If you meant on a macro scale, I'm a 2AF lifetime member and I attended the GRPC this year. I'm not at the forefront of the movement by any means, but I care and make my voice heard. There are lots of people like me who would like to get more involved. Do you intend to embrace them and further the cause?

Edited by Molly B., 06 January 2012 - 06:29 PM.
code of conduct #3

#17 Bud

• Members
  • 7,164 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

Instead of insulting those of us who have been involved for a very long time, why don't you find out what we have done. As a matter of fact, why don't you compare what those of us here from rural Illinois have already done and accomplished despite the lack of help from the vast preponderence of gun owners in Chicago.

There are great contributers here like Federal Farmer and Doctor G who not only live in the City but have devoted their lives and fortunes to helping us combat the Chicago politicians.

Federal Farmer has sued the City and won! Doctor G is right in the face of the City leaders every single day and has done more to change the atmosphere in Chicago than any other resident of Chicago and he's disabled.

I am not on staff of Illinois Carry, I am not a mod and I am not an admin for Illinois Carry, I speak for me alone.

We take this serious, deadly serious. We know that every time an innocent viction dies anywhere in Illinois because they diudn't have the right to self defense, then we need to work just a little harder to try and prevent the next one.

And Abolt, I was absolutely appalled when I saw Chicago police cadets going door to door trying to drum up info on the cop killer.

Edited by Molly B., 06 January 2012 - 06:32 PM.
code of conduct #3

Bud

Dico Tibi Verum, Libertas Optima Rerum Nunquam Servili Sub Nexu Vivito, Fili.

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#18 bradford

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

LINK: http://illinoiscarry...ndpost&p=304453

You will note that my second post in this thread, the one that you initially got all hot and bothered about, included a quote. That indicates that my post was a direct response to that particular quote. I was disagreeing with the sentiment in that post alone - something others in the thread did as well, may I add. I was *not* calling out the entire membership of the forum.

Edited by Molly B., 06 January 2012 - 06:33 PM.
code of conduct #3

#19 mauserme

Eliminating the element of surprise one bill at a time.

• 9,571 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

I haven't read the entire thread so maybe I missed something, but perhaps bradford joined us so he could get more involved in the fight?  We probably all started with memberships and such, and then it evolves into something bigger for some. 
Link to ILGA House Audio/Video..........Link to ILGA Senate Audio/Video ..........Link to Livestream Blueroom Events Page

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C.S. Lewis

#20 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• Members
  • 7,984 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:31 PM

It's too bad that we can't quantitatively tie false claims like this to economic costs to the city and thus the residents of the city. That would pave the way for a class-action lawsuit for incompetence and false-claims that would shake them up. Otherwise the Chief Po-Po should focus on the real problems impacting crime in the city. Of course, it's much easier to spout off claims like this and "appear" to be doing something, rather than have to face up to the fact that he's not capable of dealing with the real problems.

McCarthy is only half right when he omits the word "Illegal" when talking about the proliferation of guns. "The city is awash with illegal guns" would be a true statement, and he should make that distinction. I could understand why he feels that guns are the problem, when the only tool in your belt is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail.

By speaking clearly, and making the distinction between guns and illegal guns, he would only add credibility to his words, nobody would dispute them, but he seems incapable of thinking it through that far.

He may also be partially right when he says straw buyers with clean records contribute to gun proliferation, but I think I would like to see that statement backed up by some facts. If such straw buyers are causing the proliferation, then it doesn't matter if it's at a gun shop or at a gun show, since a FOID is still required to make the purchase and all sellers know this is the law. My feeling is that most people with a clean record would not risk the consequences, but I suppose some would.

As a Chicago resident who is in the fight, I don't feel I should bear an extra economic burden to pay for any false claims. However, I would be ok with diverting some of my already paid-in burden towards this, as long as it comes out of some programs that aren't benefiting law-abiding, tax-paying citizens like myself.I also don't feel that the police chief should be throwing the good citizens of his town under the bus by misspeaking, whether he meant it or not.

Have all boated who fish? Have all boated who fish?

#21 snubjob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

I have read this several times and am still trying to figure out exactly what you meant.

"turn the tide in the City of Chicago".................turn what tide? The crime tide? There is no crime tide in Chicago they have once again lowered the crime rate according to McCarthy. (Of course, you can tell from the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports because they don't accept input from Chicago because of "skewed" reports)

Turn the tide of what? Stopt the shooting down innocent citizens by people who the Chicago police never seem to catch so they beat confressions out of surviving citizens in order to show an arrest? Stop the endless tide of corrupt Chicago politicians and police officers who end up in Federal prisons?

The entire rest of Illinois is having to suffer draconian and what has already been proven as unconstitutional laws because of Chicago politicians who are desperately afraid to allow their citizens any form of self defense.

+1 Like

#22 bradford

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

I haven't read the entire thread so maybe I missed something, but perhaps bradford joined us so he could get more involved in the fight?  We probably all started with memberships and such, and then it evolves into something bigger for some. 

Precisely. And judging from the sea of white hair my wife and I saw at the GRPC, the cause could use some young blood. :D

#23 drdoom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

Wait? Illegal guns? I thought Chicago was gun-free??

#24 Patriots & Tyrants

• Supporting Members Team
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

I think McNutball forgot that he doesn't have Virginia to blame anymore, being quite a distance away from Illinois.

I don't know why all of these politicians and De-facto politicians(like McNutball) don't address things that could help bring "gun crime" down. Tougher sentences for Felons in possession of firearms, TOUGH sentences and improved enforcement against "straw" buyers, 10-20-life style laws, the list goes on but the bottom line is there are numerous ways to keep the career criminals who commit most "gun crime" behind bars without infringing one little bit on the possession of firearms by lawful citizens.

The plus side is he acknowledged the right to bear arms under the second amendment....sort of...kind of...

“Congress could close loopholes in gun laws without violating the public’s Second Amendment right to bear arms.”

#25 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,691 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

I know what you mean Bradford and you're right, it's just that some of us are pretty tired of the fact that a governor can win 3 out of 102 counties and control the whole state and that laws start in chicago and are forced on the rest of us. This is why we wish you guys could just become the 51st state.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks"
-Thomas Jefferson-

Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red, the white, the blue. The other ones got a rattle snake with a simple statement made, don't tread on me, is what it says and I'll take that to my grave
-Aaron Lewis-

#26 onebadbiker

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:13 AM

I am all for that 51st state. I am so sick and tired of Chicago fking things up for the rest of the state. Its about time Chicago cleans off there front porch before they worry about the rest of the state. For God sake Springfield is suppose to be the capital, but the worthless POS governor lives in Chicago. I think we as a state need to look at giving Chicago to Wisconsin. Let Chicago drag another state down for a while because the people of the state of Illinois are really getting fed up with this BS.

Oh one other little thought. Didnt Chicago burn down once? Maybe we can get lucky and history will repeat its self.
Babes, Bikes, Beer, and of course Guns. Not in that order.

#27 junglebob

• 5,140 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:23 AM

I am all for that 51st state. I am so sick and tired of Chicago fking things up for the rest of the state. Its about time Chicago cleans off there front porch before they worry about the rest of the state. For God sake Springfield is suppose to be the capital, but the worthless POS governor lives in Chicago. I think we as a state need to look at giving Chicago to Wisconsin. Let Chicago drag another state down for a while because the people of the state of Illinois are really getting fed up with this BS.

Oh one other little thought. Didnt Chicago burn down once? Maybe we can get lucky and history will repeat its self.

Yes Chicago did burn down once. It happened the same day as the Peshtigo fire which took as many as 1500 lives, more than Chicago.

Not hoping that history repeats itself, but Wisconsin and Illinois did at one time have a dispute over the border and Wisconsin wanted it to be Lake Michigan. I don't suppose they'd take Chicago now. But if they did it could be a win-win situation. Chicago would be part of Wisconsin which would mean Chicago folks would have right to carry. The rest of Illinois could pass HB148 this legislative session and we'd have it as well.

Edited by junglebob, 06 January 2012 - 06:25 AM.

Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Remember the 1991 Luby Cafeteria Massacre of the Unarmed (Kileen, Texas before Texas Concealed Carry) Do we need 23 people to die in a similar incident before we're allowed effective self defense?

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#28 Uncle Harley

• Members
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:44 AM

I think McNutball forgot that he doesn't have Virginia to blame anymore, being quite a distance away from Illinois.

I don't know why all of these politicians and De-facto politicians(like McNutball) don't address things that could help bring "gun crime" down. Tougher sentences for Felons in possession of firearms, TOUGH sentences and improved enforcement against "straw" buyers, 10-20-life style laws, the list goes on but the bottom line is there are numerous ways to keep the career criminals who commit most "gun crime" behind bars without infringing one little bit on the possession of firearms by lawful citizens.

The plus side is he acknowledged the right to bear arms under the second amendment....sort of...kind of...

"Congress could close loopholes in gun laws without violating the public's Second Amendment right to bear arms."

what on earth would tougher sentencing do? That isn't the problem, All they would have to do is enforce the current laws they already have on the books to the fullest extent , but they can't they are too worried about remedial chit and making up felonies for things that are perfectly legal in other states, and they need the gang bangers to do their "dirty work" for them.
"A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but its persistence." - Jim Watkins

Comment on this thread for a chance to win a Glock and a pizza http://illinoiscarry...showtopic=51095

#29 NakPPI

• 1,276 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

I am going to write an editorial in response to this crap (McCarthy).

10-20-life is a huge deterrent, even if you don't believe it is, no one can argue that putting bad guys in jail for a mandatory 10 years for committing a crime with a gun means that they won't be doing it again for 10 years. 10-20-life also includes mandatory sentencing of 3 years for felons with guns.
Illinois currently has a "spread" of sentencing that a judge can hand down, which leads into plea bargains, etc. Under 10-20-life there is no negotiation.
I lived in florida under Jeb Bush when it was passed. It was immensely popular and successful in my opinion and would be a part of my platform if I ran for public office.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Stung by the result of McDonald v. City of Chicago, 130 S. Ct. 3020 (2010), the City quickly enacted an ordinance that was too clever by half. Recognizing that a complete gun ban would no longer survive Supreme Court review, the City required all gun owners to obtain training that included one hour of live‐range instruction, and then banned all live ranges within City limits. This was not so much a nod to the importance of live‐range training as it was a thumbing of the municipal nose at the Supreme Court.

#30 Xwing

• Members
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

He blames the guns because it's easier than blaming the gangbangers. Inanimate objects don't vote...

And of course no-one really believes that most of the illegal guns in Chicago are because of gun shows. I would bet the vast majority are stolen. But no-one in the mainstream media challenges his lies, so he continues to spout them per his Chicago political masters.
NRA Lifetime Member
IGOLD 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
CCW Laws: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Posted anti-gun business listing: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)
Illinois Government: (Android), (iPhone/iPad)