Wisconsin carry bill has been signed!

GarandFan

Finally ... the bill is signed. It goes into effect in 1 November.

Next up: Illinois.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/125235719.html

Walker signs concealed-carry measure into law

By Jason Stein of the Journal Sentinel

July 8, 2011 3:28 p.m. |(31) Comments

Madison - Wisconsin became the 49th state in the country to allow its citizens to carry undercover guns, after Gov. Scott Walker signed the measure Friday.

The law to allow the concealed carry of firearms and other weapons such as Tasers passed the Legislature last month on bipartisan votes, ending more than a decade of debate on the issue.

The bill, which takes effect Nov. 1, joins other long-sought measures that Republicans have passed this year, including requiring photo IDs from voters and making health savings accounts tax exempt.

Sen. Pam Galloway (R-Wausau), a lead sponsor of the measure, called its passage a "victory for individual rights."

"Concealed carry is not a Republican or Democrat issue - it's about personal safety and providing our citizens an opportunity to protect themselves and their loved ones from harm," Galloway said.

The measure includes provisions requiring training and permits, which were sought by both Walker and Democrats. Some Republicans unsuccessfully pushed "constitutional carry" bills that would have allowed people to carry concealed guns without permits.

Under the bill, the state Department of Justice would have to issue permits to state residents 21 and over who got training and cleared background checks that showed they were not felons or otherwise prohibited from carrying guns.

Illinois is the only remaining state with an outright ban on carrying concealed weapons. Gun-rights advocates for years have pushed allowing concealed weapons in Wisconsin, but they were thwarted by then-Gov. Jim Doyle and Democrats in the Legislature.

http://www.wbay.com/story/15049654/2011/07/08/nra-statement-on-concealed-carry-law

I guess LaPierre and Cox were there ...

Walker issued the following statement about the law: “By signing concealed carry into law today we are making Wisconsin safer for all responsible, law abiding citizens. This legislation has been in the works for a long time—I co-sponsored a similar bill when I was a member of the State Assembly. I am pleased the Legislature approved a bill that included training and permits. Today I would like to specifically thank Senator Galloway and Representatives Mursau and Suder for moving forward this important public safety bill."

So how can we carry concealed in WI?

Good question! Do we know yet what, if any, permits they will be accepting? Will they issue non-resident? Is it like florida's permit where it allows for stun guns batons knifed ect?

No, we don't know. Their attorney general will be compiling a list of states with "comparable" issuance laws ... and then enter reciprocity agreements. But this being Walker's administration, I strongly suspect they will be pretty liberal with reciprocity (such as recognizing non-resident licenses, etc.). We just don't know, but probably will by November at the latest.

There is some discussion of the issue here:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?92066-SB93-and-Reciprocity

I am pasting this post just as I read in on another Concealed Carry Forum. NO idea if the author's source is solid, but hey....this IS the internet - lol::

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/concealed-carry/52784-likely-list-states-accept-wi-license.html

Likely list of states to accept the Wi license.

Snagged this from OCDO, where a member received the list from one of Senator Grothman's assistants.

Likely list of states that will recognize the WI license.

AL

AK

AZ

AR

CO

DE

FL

GA

IA

ID

IN

KS

KY

LA

MI

MS

MO

MT

NE

NH

NM

NC

ND

OH

OK

PA

SC

SD

TN

TX

UT

VA

WV

WY Not too shabby I'm thinking. If things hold true as stated, any out of stater whose permit requires a background check will be GTG in WI. Supposed effective date I'm hearing is Nov 1st. So far it's none of that "Must have a resident state issued license first" crap either. Wi will not be offering out of state licenses, it'll be a WI resident only license.

ETA: Forgot to mention, in regards to the stinkin' federal GFSZ, out of state permits are
explicitly
given the same rights as WI permits, as if that permit had been issued by WI. This means, theoretically, an out of stater is *legal* to drive through that magical 1000' school zone, just can't be on school grounds.

I am pasting this post just as I read in on another Concealed Carry Forum. NO idea if the author's source is solid, but hey....this IS the internet - lol::

http://www.taurusarm...wi-license.html

Likely list of states to accept the Wi license.

Snagged this from OCDO, where a member received the list from one of Senator Grothman's assistants.

Likely list of states that will recognize the WI license.

AL

AK

AZ

AR

CO

DE

FL

GA

IA

ID

IN

KS

KY

LA

MI

MS

MO

MT

NE

NH

NM

NC

ND

OH

OK

PA

SC

SD

TN

TX

UT

VA

WV

WY Not too shabby I'm thinking. If things hold true as stated, any out of stater whose permit requires a background check will be GTG in WI. Supposed effective date I'm hearing is Nov 1st. So far it's none of that "Must have a resident state issued license first" crap either. Wi will not be offering out of state licenses, it'll be a WI resident only license.

ETA: Forgot to mention, in regards to the stinkin' federal GFSZ, out of state permits are
explicitly
given the same rights as WI permits, as if that permit had been issued by WI. This means, theoretically, an out of stater is *legal* to drive through that magical 1000' school zone, just can't be on school grounds.

A few on that list will probably not make it, like FL., but the DOJ can add states that WI will recognize which will be most any that have a background check.

I know it says the law goes into effect in November, but I wonder if that means Wisconsin residents can start applying for permits then. I have a Florida and Pennsylvania permit. Wife and I go to Door County every September so I was wondering if I will be able to carry based on reciprocity at that time? Anybody have any insight?

I know it says the law goes into effect in November, but I wonder if that means Wisconsin residents can start applying for permits then. I have a Florida and Pennsylvania permit. Wife and I go to Door County every September so I was wondering if I will be able to carry based on reciprocity at that time? Anybody have any insight?

I believe I read somewhere that you will be able to CCW on Nov.1, i.e. not before.

A few on that list will probably not make it, like FL., but the DOJ can add states that WI will recognize which will be most any that have a background check.

Why not FL?

I'm also curious why you think FL will not make it. They have a background check and live fire. Are you thinking they may base their reciprocity requirements on the length of time the permit is valid for?

Why not FL?

I'm also curious why you think FL will not make it. They have a background check and live fire. Are you thinking they may base their reciprocity requirements on the length of time the permit is valid for?

i havent seen any requirements for live fire for the WI permit, which is probably why he figure FL will not honor it (the list appears to be states that will honor WI's licenses, not licenses WI will honor)

i believe WI will honor any that require a background check

i havent seen any requirements for live fire for the WI permit, which is probably why he figure FL will not honor it (the list appears to be states that will honor WI's licenses, not licenses WI will honor)

FL honors PA and we have no training requirement at all. :ph34r:

Florida's site says they honor anyone who honors them

The repeal of the ban on concealed carry was not immediate upon signing, same for OC in a vehicle.

Why not FL?

I had glossed over an explanation over at the WI forum on OpenCarry.org, where this was mentioned. It had to do with some provision about not having a photo available which is required by FL.

I had glossed over an explanation over at the WI forum on OpenCarry.org, where this was mentioned. It had to do with some provision about not having a photo available which is required by FL.

if the below is true, then that may not be the explanation

my PA license has no photo

Maybe they meant Utah not being honored by Wisconsin. Utah's licence has no live fire requirement and is honored in less States than Florida's licence, which does require live fire. I still wonder why Minnesota accepts Utah, but not Florida? Maybe because Florida's license is good for 7 years?

I don't think that is the reason, I have Utah because of in-laws we visit in Minnesota and am pretty sure this was before Florida went to 7 years. Jim.

if the below is true, then that may not be the explanation

FL honors PA and we have no training requirement at all. :(

my PA license has no photo

But you did submit one? Copy of DL with photo or photo linked with DL?

Archived