Photo

Shepard vs IL Attorney General

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

#1 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 11,347 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

The text of the lawsuit.

Attached File  NRA Lawsuit.pdf   384.24KB   892 downloads
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#2 sirflyguy

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

It is a sad state of affairs that a poor elderly woman has to be beaten almost to death because of our state "laws" for "safety". Even sadder that this isn't an isolated incident. Thanks for posting this pdf of the suit. Go get 'em!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

NRA-Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor 

NRA-Certified Range Safety Officer

IL FCCA Approved Instructor

#3 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

There will be an update by the lawyer Bill Howard this afternoon at 4pm on nra news daily update

I will be on tonight at 9:20
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

#4 Sigma

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

I cant see how they can argue against that
Exodus 22:2-3
If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed.

Gun control is not about guns, it's about control. Once they have all the guns, they'll also have complete control.-Abolt

Guns kill people just like beds get girls pregnant.

#5 TTIN

si vis pacem, para bellum

• Members
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:27 PM

Did I read the alert correctly that the case will be debated in Benton?
Patrick Henry: "Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense".

"God made men,but Colt made them equals"

"Guns don't kill people..husbands who come home early do" -Larry The Cable Guy

"Illinois: Will the Defendant Please Rise?"

"si vis pacem, para bellum"

#6 Molly B.

• 11,347 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF ILLINOIS
BENTON DIVISION
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#7 Sigma

• 2,642 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:42 PM

So who will this be appealed to?
If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed.

Gun control is not about guns, it's about control. Once they have all the guns, they'll also have complete control.-Abolt

#8 TTIN

• Members
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

BENTON DIVISION

Save you a seat, Molly? :frantics:
Patrick Henry: "Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense".

#9 Molly B.

• 11,347 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:49 PM

And one for Mr. B too!!! We can hardly wait!!

#10 papa

• 3,938 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:55 PM

And one for Mr. B too!!! We can hardly wait!!

Make room for me also guys. :thumbsup:

#11 xbaltzx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

BENTON DIVISION

Can we get a link to the alert, information about the debate?

Thanks,

#12 sirflyguy

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

Please let us know when it is set for debate. I am not far away and would like to see it if possible.

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA-Certified Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

NRA-Certified Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor 

NRA-Certified Range Safety Officer

IL FCCA Approved Instructor

#13 milq

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:05 AM

My neck of the woods too!
Good night Chesty, wherever you are.

Visit my Illinois RTC/Pro 2A blog: Steel on Target

#14 Davey

• Members
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:53 AM

I cant see how they can argue against that

They'll just say...

"it's in the state's interest to protect citizens from gun violence bla bla insert more hippy BS here"

They'll also say that Heller and McDonald never said that the 2A apply to carrying guns outside the home. However, if I'm not mistaken, neither one of them ever excluded carrying outside the home either. Heller only said "most notably" in the home or some such.

That's what they'll say.

#15 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• 9,257 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:35 AM

It would be appealed to the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago, probably a panel containing our 'friends' Posner and Easterbrook.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#16 Sigma

• 2,642 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

so the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals is a good thing?

#17 XJCraver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

One question...

Why, throughout the entire complaint, is the word "handgun" used?? Wouldn't a more appropriate word be "firearm"?

Is there a specific reason "handgun" was used?

Overall, a good complaint. How do our chances go in Benton? I grew up in that area, but don't ever recall a 2nd Amendment case being heard down there.

#18 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 10,744 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

It would be appealed to the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago, probably a panel containing our 'friends' Posner and Easterbrook.

Thereby guaranteeing an appeal to SCOTUS.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#19 PPK

Innocent Bystander

• Members
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:27 PM

so the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals is a good thing?

The word friends was in single qoutation marks. It was meant to be facetious. Posner & Easterbrook are not friends of the 2A
It's a wonderful day in the hood...

#20 wazzle

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:45 AM

How are cases like this heard? Is it just in front of a Judge, or is a jury involved?

#21 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• 9,257 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

How are cases like this heard? Is it just in front of a Judge, or is a jury involved?

Judge. No jury. I think it is technically possible to get it before a jury (at the District Court level) but most don't prefer that route.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#22 wazzle

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

Judge. No jury. I think it is technically possible to get it before a jury (at the District Court level) but most don't prefer that route.

A jury of people from southern Illinois may be a positive thing.

#23 TTIN

• Members
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:05 PM

A jury of people from southern Illinois may be a positive thing.

I'd volunteer for that jury. Posted Image

#24 blackhalo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:35 AM

It would be before a judge as no facts are disputed. If it's purely a matter of law, a judge will decide it.

#25 illhunter

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:50 AM

I anticipate two years to a positive decision (SCOTUS)and then what, more shenanagins like Daley outlawing gun stores after McDonald. The fight will continue, before this is decided, Illinois will be the only state without carry. Wisconsin is done before summer recess. G_d save the 5 conservative justices of the USSC, if any of them die or quit, it will be impossible to get a fair shake. The Illinois courts are packed with liberal appointees and the chances of any legislation passing just went further south than Benton. It may come to civil disobedience and if the 2012 elections do not improve on the piddling changes made in Illinois in Nov 2010, we are collectively fubar.
quote]When I joined, I swore to uphold and defend the Constitution. I've never been relieved of that oath.[[/quote]

#26 stm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

I anticipate two years to a positive decision (SCOTUS)and then what, more shenanagins like Daley outlawing gun stores after McDonald. The fight will continue, before this is decided, Illinois will be the only state without carry. Wisconsin is done before summer recess. G_d save the 5 conservative justices of the USSC, if any of them die or quit, it will be impossible to get a fair shake. The Illinois courts are packed with liberal appointees and the chances of any legislation passing just went further south than Benton. It may come to civil disobedience and if the 2012 elections do not improve on the piddling changes made in Illinois in Nov 2010, we are collectively fubar.

To the best of my knowledge, judges at the state level in Illinois are elected, and they show up on the ballot every few years for retention. Federal judges are appointed by the President and confirmed by the US Senate. You can usually (but not always) gauge a federal judge's political leanings by the President who appointed them.

yea everyone makes fun of the redneck till the zombies show up. . .

#27 junglebob

• 4,977 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

Please let us know when it is set for debate. I am not far away and would like to see it if possible.

Yes, I'd like to know the date for the court case as well. I'd like to hear it if it is open to the public.
Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Remember the 1991 Luby Cafeteria Massacre of the Unarmed (Kileen, Texas before Texas Concealed Carry) Do we need 23 people to die in a similar incident before we're allowed effective self defense?

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#28 papa

• 3,938 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

From what I am reading here we better get there early if we want a seat. :thumbsup:

#29 junglebob

• 4,977 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:07 PM

The text of the lawsuit.

The text of the lawsuit says Mary Shepard had a LTC from Pennsylvania and Florida allowing her to carry in Pa and Florida, they should have said she is allowed to carry in 30 states.
Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Remember the 1991 Luby Cafeteria Massacre of the Unarmed (Kileen, Texas before Texas Concealed Carry) Do we need 23 people to die in a similar incident before we're allowed effective self defense?

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#30 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,267 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:59 AM

The text of the lawsuit.

The text of the lawsuit says Mary Shepard had a LTC from Pennsylvania and Florida allowing her to carry in Pa and Florida, they should have said she is allowed to carry in 30 states.

Including IN, KY and MO, all about 30 miles or less from her home.
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB