Photo

How to use "reply" option

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Molly B.

IllinoisCarry spokesperson

• 11,656 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:53 PM

In an effort to help all those who are viewing IllinoisCarry forums on small screens/phones I would
like to review the "reply" option. There are TWO reply buttons - one is if you are replying to a
specific post and second reply button a bit farther down the screen for when you are replying to a topic in
general.

Sometimes posters hit the reply to a specific post and the response can become really long and
needlessly duplicating posts already read earlier in the thread:

(Not picking on anyone here, just using this as an example without having to use one that is REALLY
long and negate the whole purpose of this post!)

[quote name='abolt243' date='01 April 2011 - 09:19 AM' timestamp='1301667596' post='258136']
[quote name='Beezil' date='01 April 2011 - 08:36 AM' timestamp='1301665001' post='258125']
[quote name='mrjam2jab' date='31 March 2011 - 08:05 PM' timestamp='1301619943' post='257995']
[quote name='Beezil' date='30 March 2011 - 07:44 AM' timestamp='1301489092' post='257402']
Looks like I'm the only one with 6?

in order:

penn
new hampshire
florida
utah
conn
maine

if there are any more that I could get i will.

even if its for a state i don't have plans to travel to, for me, its more of a statement than anything.

[/quote]

How about Arizona?
[/quote]

training must take place *in* AZ if memory serves....and really, AZ is pretty much going to be like a Vermont or Alaska if it isn't already. I haven't been watching the CCP/reciprocity much.
[/quote]

The "in-state" training requirement was lifted when AZ revised thier laws recently and went to "constitutional carry". They don't require a license to carry in AZ, but make one available to residents and non residents for reciprocity purposes. Drylok and others here have applied for and recieved the AZ license based on past training, of which Hunter Safety will fulfill. Here's the link to the Statutes.

Enjoy!!

AB
[/quote]

In answering Beezil and mrjam, Abolt243 could have opted to hit the reply button farther down the page and his post would have looked like this:

[quote]
The "in-state" training requirement was lifted when AZ revised thier laws recently and went to "constitutional carry". They don't require a license to carry in AZ, but make one available to residents and non residents for reciprocity purposes. Drylok and others here have applied for and recieved the AZ license based on past training, of which Hunter Safety will fulfill. Here's the link to the Statutes.

Enjoy!!

AB
[/quote]

Another way to shorten up a post is to copy and paste just the segment you want to reply to - highlight it, hit the quote.png , and his post would have looked like this:
[quote]
[quote]
training must take place *in* AZ if memory serves....and really, AZ is pretty much going to be like a Vermont or Alaska if it isn't already. I haven't been watching the CCP/reciprocity much.
[/quote]

Enjoy!!
AB
[/quote]
"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." --Samuel Adams

#2 Hatchet

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:23 PM

now i was thinking bout this before... every other forum im on, when you quote someones post who has a quote... the quote in the quote isnt quoted... is this a setting maybe? just a thought...
"Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

#3 defaultdotxbe

• Members
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

now i was thinking bout this before... every other forum im on, when you quote someones post who has a quote... the quote in the quote isnt quoted... is this a setting maybe? just a thought...

it is a setting, but there are various reasons why it may be enabled or disabled. as with the image thing, might be something for an admin to consider

#4 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,314 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:48 PM

[quote name='Molly B.' date='02 April 2011 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1301781201' post='258570']
In an effort to help all those who are viewing IllinoisCarry forums on small screens/phones I would
like to review the "reply" option. There are TWO reply buttons - one is if you are replying to a
specific post and the other is a bit farther down the screen for when you are replying to a topic in
general.

Sometimes posters hit the reply to a specific post and the response can become really long and
needlessly duplicating posts already read earlier in the thread:

(Not picking on anyone here, just using this as an example without having to use one that is REALLY
long and negate the whole purpose of this post!)

[quote name='abolt243' date='01 April 2011 - 09:19 AM' timestamp='1301667596' post='258136']
[quote name='Beezil' date='01 April 2011 - 08:36 AM' timestamp='1301665001' post='258125']
[quote name='mrjam2jab' date='31 March 2011 - 08:05 PM' timestamp='1301619943' post='257995']
[quote name='Beezil' date='30 March 2011 - 07:44 AM' timestamp='1301489092' post='257402']
Looks like I'm the only one with 6?

in order:

penn
new hampshire
florida
utah
conn
maine

if there are any more that I could get i will.

even if its for a state i don't have plans to travel to, for me, its more of a statement than anything.

[/quote]

How about Arizona?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Enjoy!!

AB
[/quote]

In answering Beezil and mrjam, Abolt243 could have opted to hit the reply button farther down the page and his post would have looked like this:

[quote]

Enjoy!!

AB
[/quote]

Another way to shorten up a post is to copy and paste just the segment you want to reply to - highlight it, hit the quote.png , and his post would have looked like this:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

Enjoy!!
AB
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah, but some of us just want to drive Buzz crazy!!!!!
Nice job Molly!! Certainly I and most everyone else could help the situation by watching how we reply to post!! Thanks for taking time to point it out. Now, if you haven't already, don't you think this thread (minus this post) should be made a sticky in "Site Support" or what ever that forum is called??

AB
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#5 Beezil

• 2,332 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

Abolt is always screwing up the works

Someone needs to moderate that guy!

#6 Howard Roark

• Members
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:15 PM

I have the most awesome, detailed gun picture. I'm uploading it now, this may take a few minutes... thanks for your patience. :thumbsup:
Howard Roark
Yay guns!!! boooo anti-gunners!

#7 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,314 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:21 PM

I have the most awesome, detailed gun picture. I'm uploading it now, this may take a few minutes... thanks for your patience. Posted Image

Should we PM Buzz and tell him to stand by???
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#8 GlockShooter

• Members
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

Hopefully the bulk of the membership complies with the Reply etiquette Molly mentioned, but here's something that I have found to be useful in the meantime. The forum default for posts displayed per page is 25. You have the ability to lower that number in your personal settings. I personally would rather load more pages than get a cramp in my scroll finger trying to navigate through one long page.

Just an FYI.

Gun control is not about guns, it's about control. Once they have all the guns, they'll also have complete control.
abolt243

#9 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 10,867 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:40 PM

Thanks Molly,

This is one thing that has bugged me for a while. I've got a decent connection but I just hate scrolling doen through 4 sets of quotes to see:

+1 :thumbsup:

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#10 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• 9,297 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:17 AM

I'm editing abolt's posting permissions right now... :)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.