Photo

Shipping a gun from Illinois

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cratch

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:29 PM

Question..I am about to sell a small semi-auto on Gunbroker.I understand that I have to ship to the buyer's FFL.Can I use UPS or Fed Ex,do I have to field strip the gun.What our our laws? I have shipped several firearms back to the manufacturer,but the transactions were always set up by the manufacturer.
Would it be cheaper for me to have a local FFL dealer handle the shipping? Thanks in advance.

#2 jkrzos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

Howdy,

I use the FFL for regular firearms, but when I ship C&R gun, I use FEDEX. I have provided them with my license & they bend over backwards for my shipments. I believe interstate firearm shipments must go FFL to FFL, but I not 100% positive about that. Good luck with your shipment.

jkrzos
Retired Cowboy Action Shooter, PPC Shooter
Tincan Sailor, Trusty Shellback
NRA & ISRA Life Member, ISRA RSO

MY 1911 BEATS A 911 CALL!

If you don't stand behind our Troops, Please stand in front of them

“Give me a fast ship for I intend to go into Harms Way”

During WW2, no other Naval Unit eclipsed the record of the little beavers lead by Captain “31 knot Arleigh Burke.” There are Sailors and then there are DESTROYER SAILORS. Fast, sleek, they seek out the enemy at point blank range

#3 hotpig27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:18 PM

First you need to make sure the receiving FFL will accept a fire arm from a non FFL. If they will accept it direct from you.Just send a copy of your FOID with the gun. You do not need to field strip the gun if you use UPS or Fed Ex.
The Oath of the Right-wing Extremist:I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands. One Nation under God, indivisible,with liberty and justice for all.

#4 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• 9,306 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:50 PM

Please triple check that the firearm isn't loaded...

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#5 Cratch

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:37 AM

Thanks.Do I inform Fedex that there is a firearm in the package?

#6 soundguy

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:50 AM

Thanks.Do I inform Fedex that there is a firearm in the package?

I shipped a pistol to the manufacturer once for factory repair via FedEx. I disclosed that it was a gun. They were put off at first and then checked the regulations. It was allowable. It had to be shipped next day air. Ultimately... no problem. I presume the same would apply for shipping to an FFL. You must, I would think, make arrangements with the receiving FFL first. They may have knowledge of any other details.
Life is a cooperative venture... That's what makes it work.

#7 bhannah

• Banned
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:53 AM

this explains all you need to know
http://www.gunbroker...aspx?faqid=1118
illinoisgunrights.org

God and the Soldier, all men adore,
In time of danger and not before.
When the danger is passed and all things righted,
God is forgotten, and the Soldier slighted.

"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."
Alan Ladd, in the movie Shane (1953).

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used"
Hunter S. Thompson

We have the best government money can buy...

#8 05FLHT

TCB.

• Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:16 AM

Question..I am about to sell a small semi-auto on Gunbroker.I understand that I have to ship to the buyer's FFL.Can I use UPS or Fed Ex,do I have to field strip the gun.What our our laws? I have shipped several firearms back to the manufacturer,but the transactions were always set up by the manufacturer.
Would it be cheaper for me to have a local FFL dealer handle the shipping? Thanks in advance.

When I was looking into shipping a handgun it seemed to be a lot cheaper to send it via FFL to FFL. Going through FEDEX or UPS you have to use next day air which is very expensive. If you go through a FFL it cost the transfer fee plus about $15 to send it USPS Priority Mail.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
IL Concealed Carry Firearm Instructor

#9 Thiokol

• Supporting Members Team
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:09 AM

Interstate shipment does not require that the gun be shipped by an FFL. But, as noted above, it may be cheaper to do it that way if you have an FFL that will charge a reasonable fee and not gouge you.

You can ship via Fedex or UPS but Fedex requires priority overnight, their most expensive option. UPS is a bit more flexible. You still have to ship via overnight but they will accept your firearm for their cheapest rate which is Next Day Air Saver. In either case you must notify them that you're shipping a firearm. And, you cannot ship from a UPS Store or a Fedex Office or Fedex Kinko's. You have to ship from one of their hubs. There are a lot of geniuses on the various gun forums that like to brag that they ship via ground and claim that the shipments contain tools or machine parts. I can tell you from personal experience DON"T DO IT.

When I was young and foolish I shipped a S&W Model 29 via ground and did not declare the contents as being a firearm. It was either lost or stolen in transit and when I filed an insurance claim I was told where to stick it. It was bad enough losing an expensive firearm but that was nothing compared to the grief of filing a report with the local police and the ATF.

Here's a link to the FAQ section of the ATF's website that deals with unlicensed persons: http://atf.gov/firea...d-persons.html. Everything that you need to know can be found there.
U.S. Air Force Veteran
ISRA Member
NRA Member
Smith & Wesson Collectors Association Member #2262

#10 Cratch

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:20 PM

Thanks to everyone!

#11 USArmyRet

• Banned
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:29 PM

It is costing me $45.00 on the Florida end for the seller to have his FFL guy ship it to my FFL guy. It's just a matter of both FFL guys sending and recieving each other's FFL license number.
Posted Image

I shoot with the best...Nikon and Colt

#12 Bud

• Members
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

It is costing me $45.00 on the Florida end for the seller to have his FFL guy ship it to my FFL guy. It's just a matter of both FFL guys sending and recieving each other's FFL license number.

There's more to it then that.

FFLs have to keep records that are subject to inspection by the ATF forever. I think it is ten years but that might as well be ten years.

They have expenses including the NICS and licensing fees to the Fed goverent and in many cases, their local governments. they have to pay sales taxes nd other business taxes. If they have even one employee that brings up all kinds of different expenses.

All that hhas to be paid for by charging for services as well as goods.

Even a "hobby" FFL has expoenses and the aggravation of the ATF hovering over their heads.

Shop around, there are FFLs that do it cheaper. Our own Kenny of KapGuns only charges $20 per transaction for Illinois Carry members and he also only charges actual cost to shipa firearm via USPS (usiually about $10 for maiing "if it fits it ships" and another $8-$10 for insurance.

The only time an FFL dealer can rip you off is when you let him. Some of them will but that's true in any business.

Bud

Dico Tibi Verum, Libertas Optima Rerum Nunquam Servili Sub Nexu Vivito, Fili.

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#13 USArmyRet

• Banned
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:38 PM

Shop around, there are FFLs that do it cheaper. Our own Kenny of KapGuns only charges $20 per transaction for Illinois Carry members and he also only charges actual cost to shipa firearm via USPS (usiually about $10 for maiing "if it fits it ships" and another $8-$10 for insurance.

That's my add on cost for the Florida FFL guy to handle and ship it. I don't have any control over that.
Posted Image

I shoot with the best...Nikon and Colt