Photo

IL Residents with CCW can carry in IA now

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 LeeG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:50 AM

As of Jan 1,2011 Illinois residents with CCW's from any state can carry in Iowa. I have called and talked to the Clinton County Iowa Sheriff and confirmed most of the new CCW details. Let me say that the Iowa legislators have seen the light on our God given rights to protect ourselves and others against lethal threats by drastically changing their state gun laws. For those Illinois residents that want to obtain a CCW quickly, I believe you can still do so through the mail with the state of PA. The Centre County Sheriff until May 1, 2011 will receive and process CCW applications from Illinois residents. Once processed you will receive the PA CCW permit in the mail. Go to www.co.centre.pa.us/sheriff/license_application.asp to download the CCW application. The new Iowa gun laws allow both open and concealed carry. Vehicle carry is allowed. Carrying in a bar is legal, and drinking whil carrying is also allowed(which I don't agree with!)Since the Illinois Supreme Court ruling on Oct 8,2009, 'People of Illinois Vs. Diggens', where the court ruled the center console is considered a 'case', we can legally carry an unloaded handgun in the center console with fully loaded magazines laying next to the gun. So, going to Iowa I wear my concealed carry holster with my gun in the center console while traveling in Illinois, and once I cross the bridge to Iowa I then load the gun and holster up for carry in Iowa. It's not the best....but it's getting better. For those living close to Iowa and do not have a CCW, please consider getting your PA permit while you still can.
NRA Instructor Pistol
NRA Instructor PPOTH

NRA Instructor PPITH
NRA Range Safety Officer
IL Licensed Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor
IL Certified CCW Instructor
UT Certificed CCW Instructor

#2 Hatchet

• Supporting Members Team
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:51 AM

yea all these topics have been discussed... as for the center console, as i was told form someone on here, they didnt deem it legal transportation...
"Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

#3 LeeG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

yea all these topics have been discussed... as for the center console, as i was told form someone on here, they didnt deem it legal transportation...

NRA Instructor Pistol
NRA Instructor PPOTH

NRA Instructor PPITH
NRA Range Safety Officer

#4 LeeG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:11 AM

I always tell people to check with their local and county law enforcement personnel on what they believe is the law. I have checked with the New Lenox police where I live and they do follow the court ruling and consider center console carry legal. I personally talked to the Sheriff of Will County (Paul Kaupas). He said that he has passed on to all his deputies that they will not arrest anyone who carries in the center console provided they do it by the law. Which means the person can legally own the gun, they have a valid FOID and the gun is unloaded. I also printed the Supreme Court ruling (only 6 pages long) and that is also in my center console in case anyone questions the legality of carrying the gun in the console. I do stongly believe that people should question their local and county law enforcement personnel on what they consider legal as far as this law goes. AND, I would not recommend anyone in Chicago or even Cook County trying to carry in the console. I believe I'll try to contact a friend of mine that works as a Illinois State trooper to see what their department thinks about it. Thanks for the reply
NRA Instructor Pistol
NRA Instructor PPOTH

NRA Instructor PPITH
NRA Range Safety Officer

#5 Hatchet

• 2,173 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

if i can find where i heard that at on here i'll post it... but absolutely... being in cook i aint gunna be one to test the waters... lol
"Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

#6 junglebob

• 5,109 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:32 AM

I always tell people to check with their local and county law enforcement personnel on what they believe is the law. I have checked with the New Lenox police where I live and they do follow the court ruling and consider center console carry legal. I personally talked to the Sheriff of Will County (Paul Kaupas). He said that he has passed on to all his deputies that they will not arrest anyone who carries in the center console provided they do it by the law. Which means the person can legally own the gun, they have a valid FOID and the gun is unloaded. I also printed the Supreme Court ruling (only 6 pages long) and that is also in my center console in case anyone questions the legality of carrying the gun in the console. I do stongly believe that people should question their local and county law enforcement personnel on what they consider legal as far as this law goes. AND, I would not recommend anyone in Chicago or even Cook County trying to carry in the console. I believe I'll try to contact a friend of mine that works as a Illinois State trooper to see what their department thinks about it. Thanks for the reply

For those new to the Illinois Carry forum, I'd like to point out that we are talking about handgun transport, unloaded and magazine out of the handgun. The magazine may be loaded. This really shouldn't be referred to as carry
I wouldn't want someone to think they can carry a loaded handgun in their console. BTW,You can't even do this in Kentucky without a LTC, you can have it in the glovebox loaded, without a LTC.
Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Remember the 1991 Luby Cafeteria Massacre of the Unarmed (Kileen, Texas before Texas Concealed Carry) Do we need 23 people to die in a similar incident before we're allowed effective self defense?

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#7 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,314 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:10 AM

For those new to the Illinois Carry forum, I'd like to point out that we are talking about handgun transport, unloaded and magazine out of the handgun. The magazine may be loaded. This really shouldn't be referred to as carry
I wouldn't want someone to think they can carry a loaded handgun in their console. BTW,You can't even do this in Kentucky without a LTC, you can have it in the glovebox loaded, without a LTC.

Good clarification Juglebob and a good idea to keep everyone on an even keel. We certainly don't advocate illegal activity here on Illinois Carry, and don't want any comments construed that way either.

As to neighboring states, IN requires a LTCH to carry a handgun in a vehicle, for any purpose, loaded or not except from the gun shop to a gunsmith or to your home or return. If you're traveling through IN, you can carry according to Fed "safe journey" law but it must be unloaded, encased and not easily accessible. I believe also the ammo must be separate, but I'll stand corrected if some one has better info.

Contrast that with MO, which allows anyone that can legally own a gun to carry a loaded handgun in their vehicle, concealed or open. Don't take that loaded gun out of the vehicle unless you have a LTC from MO or any other state though.

Not familiar enough with IA laws yet. Some one will fill us in.

These subjects have been hashed over several times on this board, but it's always good to bring them to light again for the newer members that missed the last time.

AB
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#8 LeeG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:12 AM

Good clarification Juglebob and a good idea to keep everyone on an even keel. We certainly don't advocate illegal activity here on Illinois Carry, and don't want any comments construed that way either.

As to neighboring states, IN requires a LTCH to carry a handgun in a vehicle, for any purpose, loaded or not except from the gun shop to a gunsmith or to your home or return. If you're traveling through IN, you can carry according to Fed "safe journey" law but it must be unloaded, encased and not easily accessible. I believe also the ammo must be separate, but I'll stand corrected if some one has better info.

Contrast that with MO, which allows anyone that can legally own a gun to carry a loaded handgun in their vehicle, concealed or open. Don't take that loaded gun out of the vehicle unless you have a LTC from MO or any other state though.

These subjects have been hashed over several times on this board, but it's always good to bring them to light again for the newer members that missed the last time.

AB

NRA Instructor Pistol
NRA Instructor PPOTH

NRA Instructor PPITH
NRA Range Safety Officer

#9 mrjam2jab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:27 AM

For those living close to Iowa and do not have a CCW, please consider getting your PA permit while you still can.

Living in PA, I certainly appreciate any money sent this direction... :thumbsup: But I just wanted to bring up that as of May 2011, applicants will have to appear in person. Nobody seems to be sure how renewals are going to work yet.

I would recommend Arizona...easily had thru the mail and only $60. Unlike PA, you will need some documented training...but it is easy enough.

AB

For FOPA, ammo does NOT have to be separate.

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Scott B. -- I'm not a gun nut. I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

#10 LeeG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

AB,
I briefly addressed the new IA CCW law in my earlier post. IA has made a 180 degrees turn concerning the rights of law abiding people to carry handguns. IA recognizes all other states CCW's. I have been in the IA a couple of times since the law went into affect on Jan 1 and do carry when I visit. There are very few places you can't legally carry. The law even allows to carry in a bar and drink if you want. I don't think anyone should be drinking while carrying but in Iowa you can as of right now. Iowa pro gun legislators are working on legislation that will make Iowa a 'Constitutional Carry' state. They are additionally proposing legislation that will protect anyone who is forced to defend themselves. This piece of legislation would ensure your right to self defense without potential exposure to prosecution in a civil case from an attacker. I hope someday in Illinois we follow in Iowa's footsteps with similar legislation. We will hopefully get a chance this year to bring CCW legislation to the floor for a vote.
NRA Instructor Pistol
NRA Instructor PPOTH

NRA Instructor PPITH
NRA Range Safety Officer

#11 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,314 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:24 AM

AB,
I briefly addressed the new IA CCW law in my earlier post. IA has made a 180 degrees turn concerning the rights of law abiding people to carry handguns. IA recognizes all other states CCW's. I have been in the IA a couple of times since the law went into affect on Jan 1 and do carry when I visit. There are very few places you can't legally carry. The law even allows to carry in a bar and drink if you want. I don't think anyone should be drinking while carrying but in Iowa you can as of right now. Iowa pro gun legislators are working on legislation that will make Iowa a 'Constitutional Carry' state. They are additionally proposing legislation that will protect anyone who is forced to defend themselves. This piece of legislation would ensure your right to self defense without potential exposure to prosecution in a civil case from an attacker. I hope someday in Illinois we follow in Iowa's footsteps with similar legislation. We will hopefully get a chance this year to bring CCW legislation to the floor for a vote.

Lee, I understand that IA now recognizes all LTC. My question is about car carry. If you DON'T have a LTC, must the firearm be unloaded and cased, as in IL? Or did they do a MO type law and essentially make your vehicle an extension of your home??

Per the alcohol/LTC subject. While I don't partake, I don't see the harm in a person carrying a firearm while having a drink with their meal. That is a departure from what I thought sevearl years ago, and I still maintain that if a person were to have to use their firearm in a defensive situation after having had a drink, it might have to be defended in a court at some point.

Having said that, I think the best action is to not allow carry by someone "impaired by alcohol or drugs".

It is a touchy subject in some areas. IN allows carry while consuming, other states strictly prohibit it.

Bottom line, I don't see headlines about LTC folks getting drunk and shooting up the bars. Seems they are willing to accept responsibility and act accordingly. Imagine that!!

Welcome to the forum.

Oh, and MrJam, thanks for the clarification of the FOPA law on ammo.

AB
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#12 Buzzard

• Members
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

AB,

Welcome to the forum, LeeG! I live very close to the Mississippi and venture into Iowa quite often. Haven't carried over there just yet, but I do plan to. I would like to raise a point you seem to keep touching on.

Why shouldn't you be able to have an adult beverage while carrying? Does consuming alcohol immediately turn someone into a psychopath? No. Absolutely not. Otherwise, people would be breaking beer bottles and carving up the patron sitting next to them. There is nothing wrong with the responsible consumption of alcohol while carrying. That's just MY opinion.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes,
but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda,
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

#13 LeeG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

AB,

Welcome to the forum, LeeG! I live very close to the Mississippi and venture into Iowa quite often. Haven't carried over there just yet, but I do plan to. I would like to raise a point you seem to keep touching on.

Why shouldn't you be able to have an adult beverage while carrying? Does consuming alcohol immediately turn someone into a psychopath? No. Absolutely not. Otherwise, people would be breaking beer bottles and carving up the patron sitting next to them. There is nothing wrong with the responsible consumption of alcohol while carrying. That's just MY opinion.

NRA Instructor Pistol
NRA Instructor PPOTH

NRA Instructor PPITH
NRA Range Safety Officer

#14 LeeG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

Buzzard,
I don't mean to imply that a person could not have a drink and still be responsible. I know they can, but here is what I am concerned about. I think the anti-gun people are always looking for an excuse to headline any issue that brings a negative light to us law abiding gun owners. I understand we can't legislate responsibility for those who carry guns. I just don't want negative incidents possibly fueling the anti gunners fires. I do understand and recognize that people who carry by far show a higher level of responsibility when doing so. It's just my opinion and in no way suggests negativity towards those who do consume while carrying.
NRA Instructor Pistol
NRA Instructor PPOTH

NRA Instructor PPITH
NRA Range Safety Officer

#15 Buzzard

• Members
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

Buzzard,
I don't mean to imply that a person could not have a drink and still be responsible. I know they can, but here is what I am concerned about. I think the anti-gun people are always looking for an excuse to headline any issue that brings a negative light to us law abiding gun owners. I understand we can't legislate responsibility for those who carry guns. I just don't want negative incidents possibly fueling the anti gunners fires. I do understand and recognize that people who carry by far show a higher level of responsibility when doing so. It's just my opinion and in no way suggests negativity towards those who do consume while carrying.

I agree, which is why I don't bring the subject up. I haven't heard of ANY problems - of ANY KIND - over in Iowa yet. I ride motorcycle quite often over in Iowa. It's a very nice state to visit. Even more so - now that our rights are being recognized!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes,
but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda,
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

#16 junglebob

• 5,109 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:15 PM

I'll mention in regards to transporting in states that don't recognize your LTC, don't assume that the transport laws are the same as in Illinois. I believe in Ohio having a round of ammo in your vehicle passenger compartment along with a firearm makes it "loaded" according to their definition. If you have a LTC recognized there you would be OK of course. I could be wrong about it being Ohio but residents of another state mentioned it was illegal to transport in Illinois the way we can, basing this on his states transport law.
Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason

Remember the 1991 Luby Cafeteria Massacre of the Unarmed (Kileen, Texas before Texas Concealed Carry) Do we need 23 people to die in a similar incident before we're allowed effective self defense?

Three school masacres have been stopped by civilians with firearms. Two with handguns and the third by a guy with a shotgun. (Pearl, Ms; Appalacian School of Law; Edinboro,Pa)

#17 mrjam2jab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

Lee, I understand that IA now recognizes all LTC. My question is about car carry. If you DON'T have a LTC, must the firearm be unloaded and cased, as in IL? Or did they do a MO type law and essentially make your vehicle an extension of your home??

Here is what you are looking for:

IA 724.4

724.4 Carrying weapons.

1. Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person who goes armed with a dangerous
weapon concealed on or about the person, or who, within the limits of any city, goes armed with
a pistol or revolver, or any loaded firearm of any kind, whether concealed or not, or who
knowingly carries or transports in a vehicle a pistol or revolver, commits an aggravated
misdemeanor.

2. A person who goes armed with a knife concealed on or about the person, if the person uses
the knife in the commission of a crime, commits an aggravated misdemeanor.

3. A person who goes armed with a knife concealed on or about the person, if the person does
not use the knife in the commission of a crime:

a. If the knife has a blade exceeding eight inches in length, commits an aggravated
misdemeanor.

b. If the knife has a blade exceeding five inches but not exceeding eight inches in length,
commits a serious misdemeanor.

4. Subsections 1 through 3 do not apply to any of the following:

a. A person who goes armed with a dangerous weapon in the person's own dwelling or place of
business, or on land owned or possessed by the person.

b. A peace officer, when the officer's duties require the person to carry such weapons.

c. A member of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or person in the
service of the United States, when the weapons are carried in connection with the person's duties
as such.

d. A correctional officer, when the officer's duties require, serving under the authority of the
Iowa department of corrections.

e. A person who for any lawful purpose carries an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other dangerous
weapon inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to
be concealed on the person.

f. A person who for any lawful purpose carries or transports an unloaded pistol or revolver in a
vehicle inside a closed and fastened container or securely wrapped package which is too large to
be concealed on the person or inside a cargo or luggage compartment where the pistol or
revolver will not be readily accessible to any person riding in the vehicle or common carrier.

g. A person while the person is lawfully engaged in target practice on a range designed for that
purpose or while actually engaged in lawful hunting.

h. A person who carries a knife used in hunting or fishing, while actually engaged in lawful
hunting or fishing.

i. A person who has in the person's possession and who displays to a peace officer on demand a
valid permit to carry weapons which has been issued to the person, and whose conduct is within
the limits of that permit. A person shall not be convicted of a violation of this section if the
person produces at the person's trial a permit to carry weapons which was valid at the time of the
alleged offense and which would have brought the person's conduct within this exception if the
permit had been produced at the time of the alleged offense.

j. A law enforcement officer from another state when the officer's duties require the officer to
carry the weapon and the officer is in this state for any of the following reasons:

(1) The extradition or other lawful removal of a prisoner from this state.

(2) Pursuit of a suspect in compliance with chapter 806.

(3) Activities in the capacity of a law enforcement officer with the knowledge and consent of the
chief of police of the city or the sheriff of the county in which the activities occur or of the
commissioner of public safety.

k. A person engaged in the business of transporting prisoners under a contract with the Iowa
department of corrections or a county sheriff, a similar agency from another state, or the federal
government.

#18 junglebob

• 5,109 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

Looking at F above- A person who carries or transports an unloaded or revolver in a closed and fastened container... Looks like you might be OK transporting in Iowa as in Illiniois, except they may not consider the console as a container, and their definition of unloaded may be different. Anyone know the definition of unloaded in Iowa?

#19 LeeG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:04 PM

Looking at F above- A person who carries or transports an unloaded or revolver in a closed and fastened container... Looks like you might be OK transporting in Iowa as in Illiniois, except they may not consider the console as a container, and their definition of unloaded may be different. Anyone know the definition of unloaded in Iowa?

NRA Instructor Pistol
NRA Instructor PPOTH

NRA Instructor PPITH
NRA Range Safety Officer

#20 GarandFan

• Members
  • 11,729 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

Silly, huh? You can have it loaded in plain view, or loaded in the glove box, but not loaded in the center console, or under the seat.
"It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place."
Lewis Carroll, 1872

#21 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,691 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:12 PM

It's the same way in PA itself. You can not transport a firearm unless you are going directly to and from a gunshop or shooting range. You also can't open carry in the city of Philly unless you have a LTCF unlike the rest of the state. So there are other benifits of a LTCF in PA that is why you will not find the word concealed anywhere on the license.
The other thing I find ironic is we don't have RTC but we have one of the best "caslte doctines" in the state yet whilel PA has had carry for several years they do not have a castle doctrine. Funny thing these gun laws
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks"
-Thomas Jefferson-

Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red, the white, the blue. The other ones got a rattle snake with a simple statement made, don't tread on me, is what it says and I'll take that to my grave
-Aaron Lewis-

#22 mrjam2jab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

NOt sure if you can read this thread without being registered.

From what I'm getting as long as the magazine is not "attached" to the gun it can be loaded.

REading (f) again...it does say "can not be readily accessible.

#23 junglebob

• 5,109 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

NOt sure if you can read this thread without being registered.

From what I'm getting as long as the magazine is not "attached" to the gun it can be loaded.

REading (f) again...it does say "can not be readily accessible.

I posted a little too quick, should have read to the end of (f), the law is more restrictive than Illinois.

#24 vezpa

Illinoiscarry.com Funnyman

• 3,802 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

I could be wrong but I believe in Iowa you still have a duty to flee before standing your ground.
Stand Your Ground