Photo

TAN Card

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Druid

Matt Wilson

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:28 PM

I just found out about TAN cards that you can get in Illinois to carry a concealed firearm legally, but apparently it's only for security personell and private detectives. Does anyone here have one or know more about them? Is there anything with that card that could help us with concealed carry efforts?

#2 eric2281

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.

• Members
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

Here's my limited knowledge on TAN cards. The application form MUST be sent in by your employer & the TAN card becomes null & void and must be relinquished if you resign or are terminated. Also, the TAN card only permits you to carry 1hr before your shift, during your shift, and 1hr after your shift ends.

It apprears the state took careful steps to prevent the TAN card from becoming defacto LTC.

Another Illinoscarry member & I will be doing the training class this weekend. I'll be sure to report back.
"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men" ~ Monsignor (Boondock Saints)

"Lack of interest has it's price... as we're stripped of all our rights" - KMFDM

"Q: How can you tell if a politician is lying? A: Their lips are moving" - Lou

NRA & ISRA Member / Member of the Rifles & Roundels society Posted Image

#3 Bird76Mojo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:03 AM

I wonder what their definition of "employer" is?? How strict I mean..

:)
Constitutional Carry - Proponent
Open Carry - Proponent

#4 lockman

• Members
  • 6,073 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:26 AM

It is possible to be your own employer, but currently you would have to get the actual licenses, have the required liabillity insurance (not cheap) and must be able to show you are working in the business full time if you are the licensee in charge. The Private investigator route is much more flexible as to carrying but is a much larger investment in time and money. I think we will have LTC before you could get your PI license!
"We must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1776

Life Member NRA, ISRA, CCRKBA & SAF

#5 Drylok

• Members
  • 8,691 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

This reminds me. Are there any provisions that allow for a business owner in IL who is carrying/making large deposits of cash to be able to carry? Bet not hu?
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks"
-Thomas Jefferson-

Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel. One is the colors that fly high and proud the red, the white, the blue. The other ones got a rattle snake with a simple statement made, don't tread on me, is what it says and I'll take that to my grave
-Aaron Lewis-

#6 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,302 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:30 AM

This reminds me. Are there any provisions that allow for a business owner in IL who is carrying/making large deposits of cash to be able to carry? Bet not hu?

Nope.
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#7 Silver Guardian

• Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:43 AM

I wonder what their definition of "employer" is?? How strict I mean..

:)

I do know one man who has gone through the trouble of establishing the idea you are thinking about. Frankly if I had that kind of money, I'd be using it to a very free state.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." Thomas Paine

#8 Buzzard

• Members
  • 8,878 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

I just found out about TAN cards that you can get in Illinois to carry a concealed firearm legally, but apparently it's only for security personell and private detectives. Does anyone here have one or know more about them?

Is there anything with that card that could help us with concealed carry efforts?

Matt

Yes and No.

Yes, you could say "Why can't private citizens get one? No one has ever been MURDERED by a tan card holder."
You could argue all the merits of concealed carry and then re-write Illinois law to allow ordinary citizens to get a tan card --
but we're going to have to do that anyway.

So ultimately -- No. There is little or no value in a discussion of the tan card, from what I see.
The whole argument from those against passing concealed carry boils down to GUNS are BAD. Therefore, MORE GUNS are VERY BAD. It's not about facts or
real-world experience. Otherwise, we could point to the other 48 states that have some form of concealed carry and the debate would be over.
It's about feelings and emotions. They FEAR guns. Guns are BAD.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes,
but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda,
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

#9 abolt243

Tim Bowyer

• 11,302 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

I just found out about TAN cards that you can get in Illinois to carry a concealed firearm legally, but apparently it's only for security personell and private detectives. Does anyone here have one or know more about them?

Is there anything with that card that could help us with concealed carry efforts?

Matt

Yes and No.

Yes, you could say "Why can't private citizens get one? No one has ever been MURDERED by a tan card holder."
You could argue all the merits of concealed carry and then re-write Illinois law to allow ordinary citizens to get a tan card --

So ultimately -- No. There is little or no value in a discussion of the tan card, from what I see.
The whole argument from those against passing concealed carry boils down to GUNS are BAD. Therefore, MORE GUNS are VERY BAD. It's not about facts or
real-world experience. Otherwise, we could point to the other 48 states that have some form of concealed carry and the debate would be over.

That's what they would have you believe, and for some of the legislators, it may be true. But for the leaders, that want to continue to be leaders, it's about control. He who has the guns, or can control the guns, is in ultimate control. If (when) push comes to shove, the armed authorities, whether they be Chicago cops or ISP or IL Nat'l Guard, can be mobilized and CONTROL the group of people causing the trouble. It's a lot easier if the "troublemakers" are unarmed.

AB
Are you a member of the ISRA?? If not, why not?? Join over 18,000 other Illinois gun owners in the fight for your rights!!!

The Roman Empire fell due to a large, corrupt government, overspending, an overextended military, insecure borders, and the illegal immigration of Goths, barbarians (anyone who was not educated), and religious fanatics. Sound familiar?

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."
--Samuel Adams

Luke 11:21 - "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed." NASB

#10 Ashdump

• 4,645 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:36 PM

Matt

Yes and No.

That's what they would have you believe, and for some of the legislators, it may be true. But for the leaders, that want to continue to be leaders, it's about control. He who has the guns, or can control the guns, is in ultimate control. If (when) push comes to shove, the armed authorities, whether they be Chicago cops or ISP or IL Nat'l Guard, can be mobilized and CONTROL the group of people causing the trouble. It's a lot easier if the "troublemakers" are unarmed.

AB

AB, I believe the word for that is "tyrany".

#11 mstrat

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

The whole argument from those against passing concealed carry boils down to GUNS are BAD. Therefore, MORE GUNS are VERY BAD.

Guns are bad, mmm kayPosted Image
ProtectIllinois.org: Share this link to teach others about RTC in IL

#12 Fidelity Academy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

Here's my limited knowledge on TAN cards. The application form MUST be sent in by your employer & the TAN card becomes null & void and must be relinquished if you resign or are terminated. Also, the TAN card only permits you to carry 1hr before your shift, during your shift, and 1hr after your shift ends.

It apprears the state took careful steps to prevent the TAN card from becoming defacto LTC.

Another Illinoscarry member & I will be doing the training class this weekend. I'll be sure to report back.

Essentially, this is correct. I am a licensed private detective and authorize myself to carry. The tan card (actually a "Firearms Control Card") is signed by the licensee of an agency, authorizing an individual working for that agency to work in an armed capacity. The form and fees are sent to the state (IDFPR) who sends the actual card (tan in color) to the agency, who then issues it to the individual. The individual must first have a PERC Card and completed a twenty-hour firearms course. We do this stuff all day long at the academy.
Fidelity Investigative Training Academy
"Security Training Concepts You Can Trust"
4224 West Belmont Avenue, 2nd Flr.
Chicago, IL. 6064-4620

Office: (224) 678 - 0311
http://www.FidelityAcademy.us