Photo

Palmer v DC

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 mstrat

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:21 PM

Is anyone following this case?

From http://wiki.calgunsf...ict_of_Columbia

Palmer v. District of Columbia following Sykes v. McGinness, is a case challenging the carry licensing in the District of Columbia. Though DC may license the manner of carry, DC must allow law abiding residents to carry a handgun in public for self defense.

From the calguns forum ( http://www.calguns.n...ad.php?t=327751 ) it sounds like a decision is long overdue, and some fear the judge may sit on the case to avoid having to rule in favor of 2A-protected rights.

If the judge ever rules on it, assuming he's forced to uphold our rights, could this mean a sudden victory here in IL? Or do we foresee another lawsuit necessary, or does the McDonald case mean that any ruling for DC regarding the Bill of Rights automatically must apply to states as well.

I've been on the edge of my seat for a long time waiting for a decision on Palmer v D.C. ... but am I being premature in thinking this could be a solid, immediate victory for RTC in IL?
ProtectIllinois.org: Share this link to teach others about RTC in IL

#2 xbaltzx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

I think the case would have to go to the SCOTUS for it apply to IL.

#3 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 01:26 PM

it's a trial opinion which means either way it's going to be appealed.

If the DC appealate court rules for RTC -- there has to be something, it is a big step. it puts a lot of pressure on other jurisdictions. Some others like the 7th may go the other way to set it up for SCOTUS but we'll see.
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

#4 TTIN

si vis pacem, para bellum

• Members
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

Dang,can't we ever get a judge with some stones? :thumbsup:
Patrick Henry: "Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense".

"God made men,but Colt made them equals"

"Guns don't kill people..husbands who come home early do" -Larry The Cable Guy

"Illinois: Will the Defendant Please Rise?"

"si vis pacem, para bellum"

#5 05FLHT

TCB.

• Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 05:18 PM

If the DC appealate court rules for RTC -- there has to be something, it is a big step. it puts a lot of pressure on other jurisdictions. Some others like the 7th may go the other way to set it up for SCOTUS but we'll see.

I don't really foresee the need of a circuit split in this case, unless DC loses and does not appeal. If Palmer loses, they will appeal to the SCOTUS. The only big step left is setting the level of scrutiny.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
IL Concealed Carry Firearm Instructor

#6 GarandFan

• Members
  • 11,714 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:29 PM

I don't really foresee the need of a circuit split in this case, unless DC loses and does not appeal. If Palmer loses, they will appeal to the SCOTUS. The only big step left is setting the level of scrutiny.

I can just see it now ...

"Under any of the standards of scrutiny the Court has applied to enumerated constitutional rights, this complete prohibition on bearing arms would fail constitutional muster."
"It takes all the running you can do just to keep in the same place."
Lewis Carroll, 1872