Photo

State of Illinois certified trainers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• 9,220 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

8-20-120 CFP-Application
(7) an affidavit signed by a firearm instructor certified by ... See Morethe State of Illinois to provide firearm training courses attesting that the applicant has completed a safety and training course, which, at a minimum, provides one hour of range training and four hours of classroom instruction that is in compliance with the requirements of the classroom instruction course, as established in rules and regulations;

Of course, the "as established in rules and regulations" means we wait for J-FLED to define what this really means.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#2 templar223

Natural Born Infidel

• Members
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

8-20-120 CFP-Application
(7) an affidavit signed by a firearm instructor certified by ... See Morethe State of Illinois to provide firearm training courses attesting that the applicant has completed a safety and training course, which, at a minimum, provides one hour of range training and four hours of classroom instruction that is in compliance with the requirements of the classroom instruction course, as established in rules and regulations;

Of course, the "as established in rules and regulations" means we wait for J-FLED to define what this really means.

Sue Darnall.

John
Guns Save Life | GSL Defense Training

Guns Save Life meets the second Tuesday of each month at the Knights of Columbus in Rantoul, IL. Ask me how to get there! It's a great time. Join Guns Save Life today for some great benefits!

GSL Defense Training provides NRA Personal Protection in the Home courses that satisfy the training requirement for a Florida non-resident License to Carry, as well as intermediate-level pistol training and training in the use of Urban Rifles.

#3 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• 9,220 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

8-20-120 CFP-Application

Sue Darnall.

John

Well then, the wife and I both have had a class that qualifies and then some.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men [and women] stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

--George Orwell

-- Certified something-or-other by various organizations and governmental entities.

#4 FSA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:58 AM

I got it in 2003 when it looked like CC might go so I could teach that course. So it's just going to be State certified no NRA pistol instructors.

Rick Winninger
Firearms Safety Academy
1211-B Deer Street
Yorkville, IL 60560
630-364-8850
mailto:rick@firearmssafetyacademy.net
www.firearmssafetyacademy.net

https://www.facebook...afetyacademyinc

Certified Illinois Concealed Carry Licensed Instructor

Utah Conceal Carry Instructor
FFL Dealer
IDFPR # 263.000080 Certified 40 Hour Firearms Instructor since 2002
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Defensive Pistol
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection Outside The Home Instructor
NRA Certified Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor
NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program
Distinguished Expert Handgun

#5 Buzzard

• Members
  • 8,873 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:00 AM

I got it in 2003 when it looked like CC might go so I could teach that course. So it's just going to be State certified - no NRA pistol instructors.

I'm not liking THAT one bit. This opens the door for the State to have a monopoly on training, should CCW ever come about. Sure - it may not be in the original bill's text, but then the Democrats, always looking for another State imposed "sin tax" to generate more revenue, will demand that it's amended into the bill. This means you will have to travel to one or MAYBE two facilities in all of Illinois for "State certified" training.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes,
but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda,
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

#6 templar223

Natural Born Infidel

• Members
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:09 AM

Sue is state certified.

Sorry for any confusion or the cryptic nature of my earlier post.

I gotta go. I've got a certain black lab/pit mix making funny noises at me.

Now she's in my lap. I think she wants to go outside.

John

Guns Save Life meets the second Tuesday of each month at the Knights of Columbus in Rantoul, IL. Ask me how to get there! It's a great time. Join Guns Save Life today for some great benefits!

GSL Defense Training provides NRA Personal Protection in the Home courses that satisfy the training requirement for a Florida non-resident License to Carry, as well as intermediate-level pistol training and training in the use of Urban Rifles.

#7 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• Supporting Members Team
  • 10,692 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

I guess it depends on which certificate they are talking about.

I have one from the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation that certifies me as:
Instructor
Approval and Certification
for
20 Hour Firearms Training Course.

"pursuant to the provisions of the Private Detective.... and locksmith act of 2004.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#8 highspeed

• 1,025 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:57 AM

Lou; i have that same cert. I also am certified through Il. Police Training Board, but i don`t believe it means squat since i am no longer an officer.

#9 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 10,692 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:09 AM

Lou; i have that same cert. I also am certified through Il. Police Training Board, but i don`t believe it means squat since i am no longer an officer.

I would guess the ILETSB certificate is still valid. IANAL but my impression is once your certified, your certified. As you say, it doesn't squat unless Daley & Co. require the ILETSB cert because it would eliminate so many trained instructors.
I can see them doing that. Hang on tight to that one just in case.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -  George Orwell

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again. 

#10 Federal Farmer

David Lawson

• 9,220 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

If they make the training too difficult to get or too expensive, it will be struck down as a de facto ban.

--George Orwell

#11 Lou

Resident Old Guy

• 10,692 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

If they make the training too difficult to get or too expensive, it will be struck down as a de facto ban.

There are enough folks here who can and will meet whatever standards they set.
Note to Mayor Shotrtshank's lurkers - that is not something you can use in court. It is merely speculation by someone who enjoyed his Merlot with dinner. Go find another place to lurk..

#12 Mr. Fife

Nip it

• 6,443 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

Hi everyone, this is my first post (lurked for a while, finally joined). I'm also interested in what makes an instructor certified by the State. I invested quite a bit of time and money becoming NRA certified in basic pistol, hoping to do some training on the side during weekends.

If I had to guess, they may mean a business registered in Illinois, which would leave me out. Since I was only planning on doing classes on occasion, and not as a business, I may be left out.

If anyone finds out more details, please post them here, thanks.

Illinois Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
Utah Concealed Carry Firearms Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Have all boated who fish? Have all boated who fish?

#13 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 5,663 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

my guess is it will be any one c that is certified as a police instructor by the training board, feds or ISP
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

#14 templar223

Natural Born Infidel

• Members
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:37 PM

Strikes me a lot like a poll test or tax.

John

#15 Buzzard

• Members
  • 8,873 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:36 AM

Strikes me a lot like a poll test or tax.

John

I agree. 100%.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes,
but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda,
they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

#16 chicago guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:18 AM

Maybe citizens should be required to have the same training as the Chi-town alderfarts have to have -- and pass the same tests they have to pass. (I don't know for sure, but I'll guess they are minimal to non-existant!

#17 Bud

• Members
  • 6,341 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:30 AM

Maybe citizens should be required to have the same training as the Chi-town alderfarts have to have -- and pass the same tests they have to pass. (I don't know for sure, but I'll guess they are minimal to non-existant!

I am an ILETSB certified Police Firearms Instructor (if it is still valid and no, I can no longer pass the POWER test). I have also aced the US Army's Small Arms Instructor Training School at Fort Benning, GA. I can no longer pass their AFPT either.

I will offer my training in exchange for beer (but only deliverable AFTER the training) and/or real good chili receipes

My training will consist of a four hour block concerning the basic safety rules, safe storage and how to vote for anyone other than Daley.

I can modestly predict a 100% pass rate.
Bud

"The lesson this teaches and which every Afro-American should ponder well, is that a Winchester rifle should have a place of honor in every black home"

Ida B. Wells 1862-1931

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW

#18 Bud

• Members
  • 6,341 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

Here's the Statue for Conservator of Peace which gives Mayors, Aldermen and Village Trustees police-like powers:

(65 ILCS 5/3.1‑15‑25) (from Ch. 24, par. 3.1‑15‑25)
Sec. 3.1‑15‑25. Conservators of the peace; service of warrants.
(a) After receiving a certificate attesting to the successful completion of a training course administered by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training Standards Board, the mayor, aldermen, president, trustees, marshal, deputy marshals, and policemen in municipalities shall be conservators of the peace. Those persons and others authorized by ordinance shall have power (i) to arrest or cause to be arrested, with or without process, all persons who break the peace or are found violating any municipal ordinance or any criminal law of the State, (ii) to commit arrested persons for examination, (iii) if necessary, to detain arrested persons in custody over night or Sunday in any safe place or until they can be brought before the proper court, and (iv) to exercise all other powers as conservators of the peace prescribed by the corporate authorities.
(:lol: All warrants for the violation of municipal ordinances or the State criminal law, directed to any person, may be served and executed within the limits of a municipality by any policeman or marshal of the municipality. For that purpose, policemen and marshals have all the common law and statutory powers of sheriffs.
(Source: P.A. 90‑540, eff. 12‑1‑97.)

Here's the requirement for firearms training for Conservators of Peace:

(50 ILCS 705/10.5)
Sec. 10.5. Conservators of the Peace training course. The Board shall initiate, administer, and conduct a training course for conservators of the peace. The training course may include all or any part of the subjects enumerated in Section 7. The Board shall issue a certificate to those persons successfully completing the course.
For the purposes of this Section, "conservators of the peace" means those persons designated under Section 3.1‑15‑25 of the Illinois Municipal Code and Section 4‑7 of the Park District Code.
(Source: P.A. 90‑540, eff. 12‑1‑97.)

and finally, here's a link to the firearm training requirements for conservators of peace:

ILETSB Firearms Training for Conserrvators of Peace

It would appear to me from reading the last document that any municipality coinferring conservator of peace status on their Mayor/Village President/alderman/village trustee than they are required to take the 400 hour basic police training course.

I know that isn't being done, so I need to read more.

Anyways, the alderman have to pass the same 40 hour firearms traing course that police officers have to pass andf finish.
Bud

"The lesson this teaches and which every Afro-American should ponder well, is that a Winchester rifle should have a place of honor in every black home"

Ida B. Wells 1862-1931

ITWT Club Member 001

ONE STATE- ONE LAW