Photo

New knife and carry question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 Glock19

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:10 AM

Hey there I just got an Emerson Mini CQC-15 in a stone wash finish with serrations. Its had a great blade and looks like it would work well for camping, hunting and self defense.

On another note I was quite surprised and disappointed to learn about the restrictions and regulations involved in carrying knives. I tried to do some research but was not able to get any accurate information that gives me a simple answer to my question; can you carry a knife in IL? The blade on mine is about 3.5 inches. guess I should have found out first before shelling out $200 for a knife!

Here is a picture of the knife

Posted Image
ETA: picture

#2 sctman800

• Members
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:59 AM

The state of Illinois has no blade length restriction as long as it is not being used for illegal purposes. However, some cities such as Chicago do have restrictions. Jim.
Kristofferson wrote it and Janis sang it "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

#3 Matt H

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 02:53 PM

CHICAGO
Unlawful to possess switchblades. See, CHICAGO, ILL., MUNICIPAL CODE 8-24-020 (2005). Concealed carry of dirks, daggers, stilettos, bowie knives, “commando knives”, any knife with blade greater than two and a half inches, ordinary razors, and “other dangerous weapon[s]” prohibited.

ILLINOIS
- 720 ILCS 5/33A-1... A person is considered armed with a
dangerous weapon... when he carries on or about his person
or is otherwise armed with a category I or category II
weapon. (:rolleyes: A category I weapon is a [firearm or] a knife
with a blade at least 3 inches in length,
dagger, dirk,
switchblade knife, stiletto, or any other deadly or
dangerous weapon of like character.

Depending on the city you plan on being in, There can be additional restrictions. THIS List has additional cities in IL with further restrictions on Knives.

Either way, looks like 3.5 inches is longer than you are allowed to carry.

We did discuss this a little while back in THIS THREAD.

#4 ericb445

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

You will be fine as long as you are not in chi town. The state of IL doesn't have a length law.
Lots of good people and info below

www.bladeforums.com

http://home.netcom.c...sta-law.htm#I-M

http://edcforums.com...x.php?board=4.0

Illinois Criminal Code 720 ILCS 5/24-1. Unlawful Use of
Weapons. (a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use
of weapons when he knowingly... (2) Carries or possesses
with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a
dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto,
broken bottle or other piece of glass... or any other
dangerous or deadly weapon of like character...
with a blade at least 3 inches in length, dagger, dirk,
- 720 ILCS 5/24-1. Unlawful Use of Weapons. (a) A person
commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he
knowingly: (1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses
or carries any... knife commonly referred to as a
switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens
automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring
or other device in the handle of the knife, or a ballistic
knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as
a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material,
or compressed gas...
weapon. (:headbang1: A category I weapon is a [firearm or] a knife
with a blade at least 3 inches in length, dagger, dirk,

Illinois Case Law:
- "Possession of hunting knife is not a crime; however,
knowingly carrying or possessing dangerous weapon with
intent to use same unlawfully against another constitutes
offense..." (1982)
- "Weapon not listed in statute can become "dangerous weapon"
when it is used in a manner dangerous to well being of
individual threatened, and knife with blade less than 3
inches in length can be dangerous weapon if used in such
manner." (1991)
- "A straight-blade razor did not constitute a per se
dangerous weapon, for purposes of armed violence
charge..." (1987)
- "Walking cane, even if not per se dangerous, was...
transformed by defendant's usage into a dangerous weapon."
(1977)

http://www.knife-expert.com
"Choosing to demonize an inanimate object, instead of persecuting the criminals whose behavior is the source of the issue, is cowardice as well the height of moral and intellectual bankruptcy. "Bade Maker R.W.Clark

#5 burningspear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:42 PM

Illinois law does not contain a length restriction. However, a few municipalities have length restrictions. Peoria is different.
Pocket knives are prohibited. Check the municipal ordinance.

#6 ericb445

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

I was just reading the law and it has a statement about a 3 inch blade. But as I read it, it also talks about the intent to do harm... So the way I interpret it is as long as you have no ill intent you will be OK?
Man
Now I am more confused then ever, I thought I knew about IL knife laws.
"Choosing to demonize an inanimate object, instead of persecuting the criminals whose behavior is the source of the issue, is cowardice as well the height of moral and intellectual bankruptcy. "Bade Maker R.W.Clark

#7 oldude

• Supporting Members Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

http://edcforums.com...x.php?board=4.0

with a blade at least 3 inches in length
, dagger, dirk,

http://www.knife-expert.com
[/quote]

doesn't that mean a knife with a blade over 3 "?

#8 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

I've carried one since I was a kid. To me this is the closest thing to RTC. I have no ill intent, but I wouldn't think twice in defensive mode. I've been questioned and searched before with no repercussions. My blade has been 3" for the last 12 years.
...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#9 ericb445

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:23 PM

doesn't that mean a knife with a blade over 3 "?

I beleive Intent is the Keyword.

#10 Jeffrey

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

I should add that I own a packaging business. My pocket knife is used often through the day. I carry at work so the knife should be deemed worthless.
...and justice for all

YOUR WALLET, the only place Democrats care to drill

#11 Don Gwinn

President, SCRA

• 2,658 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:16 PM

You guys make me proud . . . . Hodgie at al, the statute you're seeing there (720 ILCS 5/33A) is a set of enhanced penalties for being armed with such weapons during the commission of a felony. If you're not committing a felony, it doesn't count. In other words, if you have a knife with a 4" blade on you while committing a robbery or selling illegal narcotics, your penalty can be enhanced over someone who committed the same crime but was unarmed. But you can't be charged (well, convicted anyway) under that statute for carrying that same knife as you go about your business.

(720 ILCS 5/33A‑2) (from Ch. 38, par. 33A‑2)
Sec. 33A‑2. Armed violence‑Elements of the offense.
(a) A person commits armed violence when, while armed with a dangerous weapon, he commits any felony defined by Illinois Law, except first degree murder, attempted first degree murder, intentional homicide of an unborn child, second degree murder, involuntary manslaughter, reckless homicide, predatory criminal sexual assault of a child, aggravated battery of a child, home invasion, or any offense that makes the possession or use of a dangerous weapon either an element of the base offense, an aggravated or enhanced version of the offense, or a mandatory sentencing factor that increases the sentencing range.
(:rolleyes: A person commits armed violence when he or she personally discharges a firearm that is a Category I or Category II weapon while committing any felony defined by Illinois law, except first degree murder, attempted first degree murder, intentional homicide of an unborn child, second degree murder, involuntary manslaughter, reckless homicide, predatory criminal sexual assault of a child, aggravated battery of a child, home invasion, or any offense that makes the possession or use of a dangerous weapon either an element of the base offense, an aggravated or enhanced version of the offense, or a mandatory sentencing factor that increases the sentencing range.
© A person commits armed violence when he or she personally discharges a firearm that is a Category I or Category II weapon that proximately causes great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement or death to another person while committing any felony defined by Illinois law, except first degree murder, attempted first degree murder, intentional homicide of an unborn child, second degree murder, involuntary manslaughter, reckless homicide, predatory criminal sexual assault of a child, aggravated battery of a child, home invasion, or any offense that makes the possession or use of a dangerous weapon either an element of the base offense, an aggravated or enhanced version of the offense, or a mandatory sentencing factor that increases the sentencing range.
(d) This Section does not apply to violations of the Fish and Aquatic Life Code or the Wildlife Code.
(Source: P.A. 95‑688, eff. 10‑23‑07.)

________________________________________________________________________________

Illinois Gun Owners' Lobbying Day

March 5, 2014

Be there or everyone will see that you have four equal sides and four 90-degree angles!

________________________________________________________________________________

#12 bob

• Members
  • 5,151 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

A knife with a blade longer then 3" long can get you a 21-6 beef if for instance, you are found to have one in a school parking lot. Or a post office. It could potentially be used against you in a lot of cases. Probably won't get you for having a hatchet while camping in a state park, although the law says without written permission it is a violation.

(720 ILCS 5/21‑6) (from Ch. 38, par. 21‑6)
Sec. 21‑6. Unauthorized Possession or Storage of Weapons.
(a) Whoever possesses or stores any weapon enumerated in Section 33A‑1 in any building or on land supported in whole or in part with public funds or in any building on such land without prior written permission from the chief security officer for such land or building commits a Class A misdemeanor.
(:rolleyes: The chief security officer must grant any reasonable request for permission under paragraph (a).
(Source: P.A. 89‑685, eff. 6‑1‑97.)

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

The opinions expressed by this poster do not reflect the official stance of Illinois Carry. Apparently there was some confusion on the part of at least one person that it does, and I want to make things clear that my opinion is my own and that whatever the official stance of IC is or is not at present, it may or may not reflect my own opinion.

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

#13 moparcardave

• Members
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:17 PM

No I don't carry my Buck knife any more but how many of us in the 70's, 80's and early 90's were seen with one on our belt? It went where I went it was always there. Then came a time it seemed like everyone including myself just stopped. Once again I do carry a knife but not the Buck, here in Rockford well I have it handy in case I need a knife. Whittling, opening boxes, cutting tape and yep intend to do harm if somone were to try and harm me or my loved ones. Sometimes the laws get to the point it's ridiculous. If someonew wants to stab somone they use butcher knifes available in every kitchen. Well for the time being till we are left with just a spork.
Guns don't kill people, Gun FREE zones kill people!

WHY CARRY A GUN? Because carrying a Cop would be too heavy.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
--George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426.

#14 Tvandermyde

• Members
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:26 PM

i use to wear a Buck 110 on my belt in high school. Imagine what thay would do to a kid today.
While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink.

#15 Glock19

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:05 AM

So as long as im not committing a crime and im outside of Chicago I can carry this 3.5 inch blade?

#16 ericb445

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:33 AM

So as long as im not committing a crime and im outside of Chicago I can carry this 3.5 inch blade?

Yep

#17 Glock19

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:43 PM

Thanks!

#18 templar223

Natural Born Infidel

• Members
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:27 PM

The easy way to remember it:

You can carry as long a blade as you want.

Misuse it and you get enhanced penalties w/ blade over 3".

John
Guns Save Life | GSL Defense Training

Guns Save Life meets the second Tuesday of each month at the Knights of Columbus in Rantoul, IL. Ask me how to get there! It's a great time. Join Guns Save Life today for some great benefits!

GSL Defense Training provides NRA Personal Protection in the Home courses that satisfy the training requirement for a Florida non-resident License to Carry, as well as intermediate-level pistol training and training in the use of Urban Rifles.

#19 Glock19

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:46 AM

You can carry as long a blade as you want.

John

That makes it easy. Thanks!

#20 bob

• Members
  • 5,151 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:34 AM

You can carry as long a blade as you want. As long as you are not in a publicly owned place like a school, courthouse, or park.

John

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

The opinions expressed by this poster do not reflect the official stance of Illinois Carry. Apparently there was some confusion on the part of at least one person that it does, and I want to make things clear that my opinion is my own and that whatever the official stance of IC is or is not at present, it may or may not reflect my own opinion.

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/

#21 mack69

"The surely one"

• 4,228 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:22 PM

Gotta love Cook county....
Cook Co. IL 4662. Contraband. .. Knife
"The defense of our liberties is first at the ballot box, then the soap box, then the jury box and finally, failing all else, the cartridge box"
"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-- George Orwell

#22 Krigloch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:17 PM

damn all this time I thought 3" was tops.
Im totally getting a bigger knife... whenever I get the money first.

#23 Smittyp83

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:39 AM

If someonew wants to stab somone they use butcher knifes available in every kitchen. Well for the time being till we are left with just a spork.

Great line!!!
[Posted Image

#24 BobbyT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:09 AM

You laugh, but, having outlawed all tools of self defense and (somehow!) seeing higher violent crimes than ever, the British are pushing for laws to require that kitchen knives have dull or rounded points so that they can't be used for stabbing.

They stripped their people of gun rights.
They stripped them of knife rights (there's a law-abiding young man who was recently sentenced to prison for carrying a Batman-themed movie knife).
They stripped them of any self defense aside beyond running from home invaders to hide behind the couch.

Now they want to ban anything with a point. And the criminals are more violent and empowered than ever.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-- Ayn Rand